Price-performance wise which is the best computer component you ever bought?

Price-performance wise which is the best computer component you ever bought?

It's a great little processor but IMO the best CPU I ever had in terms of performance per price and overclocking was that beautiful bastard, the i7 920.

You could easily get from 4.0 to 4.2ghz on it and back then that was not joke considering it as 2.66ghz stock.
And back then intel wasn't all about selling "unlocked" cpus for more like they do nowadays. Everything was the k series.

First SSD
i7 920
Used Xeons

got a fx6300 for $60 and put a 212 evo on it
oc'd it to 4.5ghz at 1.35v and has never failed me

The AMD Athlon XP-M 2400+. It was the same cpu core as the XP 3200+ (desktop version) and could be overclocked to the same speed (2.2GHz). The XP 3200+ was going for around $200 or $300 when I got the XP-M 2400+ for $75 new.

2600k at 4.6ghz... still rocking it 6 years later with a GTX 1080 at 1440p. Also still running 8gb system RAM, never had an issue since I keep my system clean / minimal.

>2600k
I wanted one for my weekend rig but fuck paying $100 for such an old used CPU.

radeon 4850
>10 years, 1 graphics card

Fair enough. I'm not a fan of buying second hand but it's much cheaper than a 1500X and performs ~on par.

Also got to say 2600k.

I only just upgraded a month ago and I was tempted not to. Probably the best cpu Intel has put out this decade.

It's STILL quite capable with a good overclock.

a used 980ti for 75 (seventy-five) dollars

Seconding the 2600k

Still rocking it 7 years later at a stable 4.7 overclock. Won't even think about upgrading for another few years.

I got an immense amount of use out of a Phenom II 1090T. One of my friends is still using it.

Phenom II X3 720 which served me for five years. Unlocked the fourth core just fine in the BIOS and overclocked it.

>>paying full retail for intel back door
What retail that is for how much it goes on eBay

iPhone

I got 9 years out of my Q6600 oc'd to 3.2ghz, definitely have a lot of respect for it. The mobo paired with it, not so much

Me too. Since 2010.

>Price-performance

Four chink L5410s for 6.5 bucks each.

Or did you mean most useful for the price?

I got an i5-2500k back in December 2011 for $150 at Micro Center. It still runs perfect OC'd at 4.0 GHz and I'm sure if I put a 1060 in there it's still be able to play most games today.

i7 920 is definitely a frontrunner, but only if you got a D0 chip. If you got a C0 chip that would go that high, you were a lucky SOB. That's why I got a 930, because all 930s were D0 for a small bump in cost.

Probably the Radeon 5850. My 6950 is also damn good since it could be modded to a 6970, but it cost me nearly twice as much.

500GB 850 EVO SSD

Athlon 64 3400+ at release like 14 years ago
R9 290 for 200 dollars near the end of that family's life, that I still use

wait, you're still using that Athlon?

>got a 2500k
>also got a cheap ass intel motherboard that can't OC

I kindof think I should grab a new motherboard, but I just can't be bothered.

>Radeon 5850
Did you get the 2GB model? Mine's still trucking for light duty today. Great GPU for its time, if power-hungry today.

Should have sold it and got a 2500

tragically no

actually im just too lazy to buy another motherboard for it off ebay

Broken hd 7970s from a miner fag that gigabyte repaired for me. I'm still using one of them.

Used 3770k I got on Craigslist for $120. Have it clocked at 4.6 on a basic air cooler.

i got a 1070 for $350 October last year.

2500k is it

q6600 I ran at 3.8ghz for 8 years.

The AMD K6-2 450. Fucker played everything I threw at it

I have an 2500k at 4,6 GHz and an EVGA 1060 6 GB and I have no problem with games. Mods are a bit different but ENBs are the biggest issue.

>tfw all those 4K textures in the VRAM

A few months ago I got a 1070 for 350 leaf bucks. Looking at the GPU pricing now I'm laughing.

Just wanted to add that they were $150 each, and sold out, and way before the 280x came out, so it was a huge bargain/gamble for me.

Phenom II x4 955 - Still in service now in my Desktop system. No reason to retire her. Got an Socket 939 Opteron 170 and 185 plus Athlon 64 3800 in storage along with an AM2 Athlon X2 6000. Still got an X2 3600 system in service now.

1st generation i7 920 / 930 (quadcore w/ hyperthreading).

Cost only 280 shekels at the time, it still runs everything 9 years later paired with 24GB DDR3 and a GTX 1070, no throttling whatsoever at 60 fps.

one thing i've learned is that buying modern CPU's is a total waste of money. from now on I'll always buy a few generations older for cheap then dump all the money on GPU, SSD and memory.

logitech mice

they let you seamlessly traverse the GUI for the low low price of $15

2500k and probably my 6950 which i flashed for better performance and 390 due to this market even as old as it is its a very good card.

G3258 on sale 28 bucks

600mhz Athlon Tbird
Mine hit 1.1ghz.

Fx 8350 thing has been through years of abuse and is still doing its job quite well.

this

athlon 2100
got a 50% overclock out of it.
I was even able to us that cooler on my 3930 i7 for a few weeks as I waited for a nh-14 bracket and it keep up under full load.

get a xeon my nibba cheaper and performs better

a Sapphire 7950 for 150$ in 2014

An Intel celeron

Q6600
R5 1600

My FX-6300 is a trooper, and still performs great.

Old, used CPUs aren't always bad. I'm using an FX-8150 I got from eBay a few weeks ago that's been working great for gaming.

FX 8370 CPU for $109.99 new about two years ago. Might not be THE best, but it's in the top 5.

refurb MSI GTX 760 Ti for $55 about the same time is a strong contender

Picked up a pair of refurb HGST 4 TB Ultrastar enterprise HDDs this summer, one had 16,000 hours on it, the other about 18,000, both power cycled less than 40 times, and all other SMART & testing indicates they're otherwise in new condition, just slightly broken in on their 2,000,000 MTBF. $39.99 each. Fast, quiet, cool ... too early to tell how these will pan out, but I'm expecting 5 years or more of reliable service. Wish I'd bought the 5 maximum I was allowed at the time.

This list could go on for quite some time. I buy quality tech, I look for good prices, I test & maintain it regularly, I take care of my shit. Over half my tech qualifies in some way or another as Really Fucking Good Deal.

Not going to list all the free/nearly free stuff I've got over the years, but there's been a lot.

$35 for 8GB of RAM new, and that was a pretty normal Amazon/Newegg deal from 2011-2015. I would have bought 32GB without hesitation if I knew it was going to get this bad.

No particularly good deals on parts otherwise, but little stuff like spending $40 on proper silent fans and $20 on a proper mousepad and $50 on a proper mouse were worth it over getting a new GPU (HD7870 until cryptocurrency collapses I guess).

price-performance is a shit metric these days... more like performance-age .. i got two dell lattitude d830's for free in 2014 and used the fuck outta them

.. i got macbook air 2011 256gb for free because some idiot thought the battery was dead when the charger cable had a broken centre conductor... it had a broken headphone jack which still shits me to this day... but its my main debian machine

i7 920 was GOAT... you must live in arctic because i could never push it more than 3.3 on the stock cooler when doing encodes... would easily hit 99c

here in australia summer i have had to turn it back down to 2.67... its fantastic but i paid full price for it and the mobo and 6ch tripple channel (cries) ram back in the day it came out .....

definately will be hopping on the used xeon train soon.. need more cores for my flac and opus transcodes

9800gt.
Still using it, many, many years later.

Pixio PX277, 1440p, 144hz, IPS and freesync for only 400 bucks.

>9800gt.
what do you use it for?

Gaming, game programming etc..
Pretty much anything that don't require DX11 runs and runs quite well on it.

post the CPU-Z for your i7.

tell us the secrets to supreme deals

This is the best deal I've ever had. 24 threads at 2.4ghz, 48gb of ram and only ~200 watts. I run a bunch of vms off it.

ok buddy had one ready to go for an x58 appreciation thread the other day

My i7 3930k. Been sitting at 4.2GHz for 5 years. Has 6 cores as well, which is still a fucking ton for this age.

A used 660Ti for $20

C0 stepping, no wonder why. You might wanna look into getting a better cooler. Intel's push-pin coolers are obviously terribad, and you being Australian doesn't help matters much what with the high ambients you have to deal with.

It still blows me away that a cpu that came out over 12 years ago is still a very viable option for a budget build. 10 years ago you'd have been insane to recommend a cpu that old for daily use.

The C0 models had a high chance of being shit at OC, which is why I went for a 930 to avoid the lottery. I ran my 930 D0 overclocked until last summer, when I went to a Westmere-EP. Fantastic inexpensive upgrade. Runs slightly warmer with the two extra cores, but never break 85C under synthetic loads. With the RAM and GPU madness currently going on, it'll see me through.

What os do u run on it

How? Those are like 1g min.

esxi.

i've got debian, centos and windows servers running on it.

savemyserver my dude. check their ebay store. dont buy from their regular store.

ITT: retards
Your $300 CPU from years gone by does not offer a better price to performance ratio than current $150 CPUs which are just as fast or current $300 CPUs which are twice as fast.

The only way to get higher price to performance ratio out of old outdated hardware is if you got it dirt cheap.

its a good thing that old hardware is infact dirt cheap, retard-kun

Not sure between G4600 and 1050 Ti

In that era I had an i3-540 overclocked to 5ghz on air (Hyper 212). Good deal.

But it isn't unless you get it from a friend or get lucky somewhere. Putting together a Sandy Bridge system for instance is still very expensive considering you could buy a brand new system with an upgrade path and a warranty for not much more.

Sometimes it is; currently using dual e5-2670 with 64gb of ram for a couple hundred dollars.

For gaymen its still pretty good also 4.8ghz oc helps a lot for the 2500k even at 1440p.

Phenom II 550 that I unlocked. Great chip. Too bad that it came out right when Intel was starting to outpace AMD.

Still for a 80 dollar chip, it did what I needed for 5 years.

my boss was convinced that this old 955 was dead so i tested it at work and asked if i could have the dead processor (it was an OEM tray part) its still working well on my moms computer 7 years later

i5-3570k
8 gigs ram (1333 though)
2 128 gb ssds
asus genesis motherboard
generic brand case
800W PSU

400 bucks

Duron 1400
Radeon 8500 LE
Pentium Dual Core 1.6 GHz (ran at twice that speed)

This GPU at this price. Not the same story today.

I paid apx. $200 for this bad boy back in 2011. Served me very well in combination with my 2600k for the next few years. I was able to run pretty much everything that had a decent optimization at high/ultra settings decently at 1080p up until around the time Witcher 3 came out. It was a fucking beast of a card.

I am sure it would be great but like I said I only use that PC on the weekends for mostly for light stuff so it's just not worth spending $100 over really.

>$35 for 8GB of RAM new, and that was a pretty normal Amazon/Newegg deal from 2011-2015. I would have bought 32GB without hesitation if I knew it was going to get this bad.
Like looking in a mirror.

8GB of Ram I bought in 2011 on Amazon for 40.10 is now 78.54

god damn I wish I went the full 32GB instead of 16.

Bought 2 years ago. RIP2U

bought an fx 6350 back in 2014 still rockin it.
Sadly just today my sapphire r9 390 died on me while playing doom
warranty has expired :( feelsbadman

My man

4th gen iPod touch. I still use the thing in my car and it just werks.

Athlon 64 3000+ and also a radeon HD 4850. It was pretty ridiculous you could get high end stuff for peanuts back in the day.

In perfomrnace relative to the rest of the market at time of release that would be similar to my i7 6700k and gtx 1070 but those were like 2x or 3x more expensive

One of these in 2008. Cost less than $100 and if you had 8x1TB drives on it you were baller af

C2D E6700 for $15

that little fucker did everything for me, sometimes i wonder how i made it. I use an i7-2600 now

Oven it