Essential Software Thread

Post software that every person should know of or have.

Pic related, it's Handbrake. Pretty good video converter.

I only use it to rip DVDs, but it's really good for that. Otherwise ffmpeg is better however...

MacOS High Sierra. Everyone should install it. If your computer can't, then stop being either a poorfag or a brainlet.

mpv (videp player...duh)
LibreOffice (I'm not really statisfied, but I don't know a better alternative)
ffmpeg (media converter)
youtube-dl (downloader for most multimedia sites like YT, soundcloud, vk and many more)
Sylpheed (email client)
Gparted (to format partitions)
Notepad++ (text editor for windows; notepadqq for Linuxs)

Does anybody know a good music player for Linux/GNU? Something as minimalitsic as mpv? I'm, currently using clementine, but I don't need all those extras. Just let me play my music. I already organized it the way I want to.

Good but
>sylpheed
Absolute meme
>notepad++
If you're on Windows anyway just fucking use Sublime. On Linux there's vim or emacs readily available.

What's wrong with just using mpv to play music?
Especially if your shit is already organized.
That's what I do.
If I was cool I would prolly set up an mpd service and use ncmpcpp or something instead though.

I tried Thunderbird and didn't like it, so I stuck with Sylpheed. As for notepad++, I started on Windows and switched to Linux/GNU, but I didn't really like any of the alternative text editors (besides nano and SciTE, which was kinda ok), so I compiled notepadqq instead.

I'm kinda Windows damaged. I just realized mpv's qualities over mpc-hc/qt and I thought there was perhaps a good minimalistic open-source music player for Linux/GNU as well. I never though of using mpv before, just like I never used my video player in windows for my music.

ledger / hledger / beancount
plaintextaccounting.org

Mutt, alpine

Brave is really good.

here's a (you)

mpv works pretty great with fzf set up if you have a relatively ordered library.

I use the following all pretty regularly.

- aunpack
- fzf
- qmv
- fd
- ripgrep
- beets

>LibreOffice (I'm not really statisfied, but I don't know a better alternative)
Microsoft Office unfortunately. Everything else is pretty shit. Could use also use LaTex.

WPS or OnlyOffice are good LibreOffice alts. WPS has ads on the windows version so OnlyOffice is better there.
>good music player
Clementine is imho the best music player on desktop, but if you're looking for something minimalistic then try Audacious. It's pretty good, but doesn't have a "minimize to tray" feature.

MSO is shit.

mps-yt

> WPS
Why not just use Microsoft office then?

Because (((Microsoft))), and it's not multiplatform.

>I only use it to rip DVDs, but it's really good for that
nah, it's deinterlacer sucks dicc

How has this not been mentioned yet?

Foobar.

GCC

Because it's a shit software used exclusively by dumbfuck ricershit?

>not clang
lmaoing @ ur lyf

Literally just started learning C, what's the pros and cons of each?

Just using GCC at the mo' because that's what's on Slackware.

GCC is the de facto toolchain of almost all distros, quite optimized on multiple architectures, kinda slow compile time but not bad. Use with MinGW on windows.
Clang is faster to compile with and not as widely ported, pretty much as well optimized on x86-64 as gcc at this point. Can use Microsoft Visual standard libraries on Windows.

GCC is better.

Seems like Clang is defacto on BSD now, but apart from that it doesn't sound like something I need to really bother with.

>it's on BSD
Because apparently you cannot put any code compiled using GCC in any products that aren't GPL. Clang doesn't have licensing restrictions. This is irrelevant to you and won't affect your code anyway.

>This is irrelevant to you and won't affect your code anyway.
Are you implying I'm not going to become the next Bill Gateserberg?

qBittorent

Funny you say that, because I dislike LibreOffice for reminding me so much of MSO.

>Audacious
Thanks user, that's exactly what I was looking for

Because Winamp is better

Because Clementine is better.

Because Musicbee is better.

bump

> good music player
If tried almost every music player for Linux and the best one is cmus. Try it. It is a CLI player, but after 10 min you will agree, that cmus is the best music player out there

>needing a frontend
>not just using ffmpeg itself and doing away with retarded limitations like having upscaling disabled

Then what do you recommend pretty boy

Just remux with makemkv and use your player's own deinterlacer.

VLC player

Poorfag

make a remux using makemkv, then transcode it with ffmpeg. for deinterlacing, use QTGMC with either avisynth or vapoursynth

For music, mpd with mpc. There's also some pretty minimal GUIs for it like Gimmix, Qmpdplasmoid, or MPDroid to control it from your phone.

Anyone have any good Emacs suggestions for productivity (conf stuff, packages -- Research related) and integration (eg music player, email).

Seriously considering switching to Emacs exclusively from a Heavy Duty USB key.

aria2
translate-shell
bgs

ffmpeg

vim

>>Audacious
>Thanks user, that's exactly what I was looking for
nonono and no.
Check out DeadBeef.

WebM Bro's WebM converter.

(Why can't I upload any images to Sup Forums right now?)

> good minimalitsic

Sounds like oxymoron. I don't know about good but it doesn't get any more minimalistic than 1by1. It's literally couple of KB's..

This one's for windows, not sure about Linux version. You can always run it on wine though... There is also an android version...

Windows:
KeePass
mRemoteNG
Jitsi

font?

>x software is better than x+y+z software
handbrake is ffmpeg with other filters like honeycombing built into it and available. HandBrakeCLI is the most powerful thing to convert video with.

for encoding with many needs handbrake is fantastic. for container switching, or anything else unrelated to video but related to audio or subtitles then ffmpeg is great