Which game engine would you consider to be the most advanced and realistic in graphics and physics at this point in...

which game engine would you consider to be the most advanced and realistic in graphics and physics at this point in time ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XptlVErsL-o
godotengine.org/article/dev-snapshot-godot-3-0-rc-2
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OGRE
youtube.com/watch?v=dO2rM-l-vdQ
youtube.com/watch?v=jV0VNDbqILY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

BUMP

source has best physics. Graphics arent that important. They all can get on semi-realistic level without a problem. I also like the flat way of source way more than ultra realistic stuff like cryengine

ofc scratch

im excited to see what source 2 can do, but im gonna go with unreal engine

with the least amount of work, UE

otherwise with effort you get good result with any

is there some good opensource engine?

Source engine has the best physics

Godot Engine is the biggest one I believe.

Check out Godot. It's licensed under the MIT license.

youtube.com/watch?v=XptlVErsL-o

Thanks!

is that version 3? it looks kinda different...

HOLY SHIT, THIS IS ACTUALLY GOOD

Tbh for scenes that small graphics are limited more by the artists' capabilities than from limitations in the engines.

Version 3 is still under development, but you can download the newly released RC here:

godotengine.org/article/dev-snapshot-godot-3-0-rc-2

In terms of graphics they are all about the same, the best subsurface renderer is the one on frostbyte at the time, so there is that.

On physics they are all equally archaic and terrible.

Rage has better physics.

no, RAGE has pretty basic physics engine, almost like if they used open source engine or something.

Was about to shill Godot but I'm late to the party it seems

fox engine

It boggles the mind how game physics engines all fail in unison implementing the most basic of physics laws; G=9,8m/s^2

probably because game's arent programmed in ratio to the real world you dipshit

for the longest time source was just using the havok middleware which a lot of engines use for physics. Source 2 uses an in house system called Rubicon which no one has any real hands on experience with.

>free
>mit license
this aggravates the jew

Unreal Engine 4

Unreal Engine 4 is open source, but proprietary. FOSS ones are Godot, Panda3D, Moai SDK, Cocos2D, Torque3D. Even Blender has an engine in itself. Old id Tech engines are also open source (up to id Tech 4) as well as ioquake3. Those are the ones in which games like Quake 3 Arena, Quake 4 and Doom 3 were made.
There's a lot to choose from and some of those engines are really good. They just lack more documentation for people who just want to use the engine instead of developing it. On the other hand, UE4 is the best documented engine currently. But it's bloated as fuck and only good for big projects. Godot is your best bet imho.

>Name the most optimized one Sup Forums
I’m talking about good frame times and great sli support, efficient on using hardware etc etc

I like unity. Im not a programmer. Just a gamer.

No surprise that you'd pick a shitty engine then.

From my experience:
Unity-
>worked with it for about 3 months
>seems to have a semi-convoluted interaction system
>graphics can be good if you spend time on them
>Rocks for making 2d games

Unreal 4-
>worked with it for just under a year now
>super easy to pick up
>blueprints make programming approachable
>good graphics but sometimes they get artifact-y
>Easy systems to create level designer-friendly assets
>Killer for making 3d games

Source-
>worked with it for about 5 years
>steps for asset creation is super convoluted
>graphics suck
>almost everything you do has a hacky approach
>easy to make super basic stuff
>compiling levels takes literally hours if not days
>No lighting preview
>Non-standard file formats (have to convert PNGs/OBJs to weird valve formats)

GameMaker Studio-
>worked with it for about 3 months
>literally scratch that costs more and has less features

Tl;Dr
Unity for 2d
Unreal for 3d
Source if you hate yourself

/thread

Looks like any normie touchpad frankly. Like the apple emoticon bar shit.

godot

>not making your own engine

kill yourself

FUCKING RELEASE WHEN

LÖVE.

Urho3D, which is mostly equivalent to ue4.

There's also OGRE:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OGRE

It's the engine used on Torchlight I and II. And it's MIT license, just like Godot.

>source has best physics.
no

There's Urrho3d.

Very close to what i experienced but i'd also like to add
>unity
-run on wide range of hardware
-start struggling when your scene get complex
-garbage collection isn't great but not as bad as peoples say
-mac and linux surprisingly good, few gotchas
>UE4
-run like absolute shit on anything that isn't high end
-scale nicely
-source available so not a blackbox to debug like unity

Neither, all game engines start sucking the bigger the game is and there is no way to circumvent it

Unity always struggles. It's terrible on ARM devices even doing simplest things. Whereas anything demanding will also perform terribly on PC. UE4 can at least be completely debloated and optimized for weak hardware.

youtube.com/watch?v=dO2rM-l-vdQ

>UE4 can at least be completely debloated and optimized for weak hardware.
Define weak.

CUBE

>graphucs matur
H U R R

/thread

Probably game maker studio.

Undertake and Hotline Miami were amazing.

weak like your wrists

this and (not sure about this) but 9.8 might not have an exact representation in FP

OGRE is pretty shitty and also only handles rendering (though there are poor-quality barely maintained addons for various additional systems like physics and sound).

Dogshit engine and the devs are even worse. Not only is it hard to work with and has rudimentary tooling at best, with fuckall documentation, but the devs refuse to acknowledge any flaw in the engine which causes critical issues like the garbage-quality shadows to have no alternative except "lmao just rewrite the engine XD".

Games with actual physics wouldn't be fun.

What are you even talking about; Cube and Cube2 are clearly dead legacy engines. They are fine for playing Cube and Sauerbraten, but I hope nobody tried to unironically put efforts into working with them.

... for the last ten years at least.

youtube.com/watch?v=jV0VNDbqILY
demo on modified OGRE

>modified
That's always the case, normal ogre isn't really usable. It's more like a toy. Great to learn with but not useful in production. You would notice the shit graphics, low resolution and lack of aa in this demo too.

So what if it's ((9.8 cubits/231.59) / ((milliseconds since 1st Jan 1970() - lastMillis)*1000))^2 because of muh special snowflake developers

There should certainly be at least one alternative with actual physics

Of those I would say CryEngine but it isn't optimized at all, and just to get it running every game using it needs to drastically reduce the graphics and even studios that have been working with it for years have no clue what they're doing. Unreal 4 probably has the most ease of use, customization, and optimization to produce high quality visuals even for amateurs. Unity isn't bad either but from what I've heard it can take significantly more work to get the same results as Unreal.

Just be to clear we're talking about game engines not simply 3D rendering right?

the one that doesn't emphasize baked fucking lighting

t. literal inbred

ioquake3

t. sfm dev

no idea what youre trying to convey, try english next time...

It's a mock-up conversion algorithm from arbitrary developer units (here, "cubits", and unixtime) to conform to real world units

is that supposed to be serious or are you trolling? i still dont get it...
if youre serious, the problem isnt the unit used, but the set of numbers FP is able to represent (be it single or double precision)

You need to port your game away from ProcessingJS and into the 64-bit architecture, it's the future (in 1980)

.|.64425893 (You)
you really are going at it full retard mode! good for you!

Get a brain, inbred.

I don't care about realism at all, game devs trying to do realism are almost always awful and can't make the game functional. I prefer source though, movement and physics in source have their quirks but it feels the most responsive like you can actually control your character instead of watching a movie.

>but it feels the most responsive like you can actually control your character instead of watching a movie
That's most likely an input issue rather than a physics engine issue, though.
Also, see

yes, thats a good point you make, youre such an intelligent and rational human being, how could i ever beat someone like that in a rational discussion?

They released the first RC last week and the second RC two days ago, so I would guess the stable release of Godot 3.0 could be here in less than a month.

>don't even know how floating point numbers work, or why they're like that
>think your opinion on physics in games matters

Unity was quite good until they decided they wanted to make a second Unreal Engine and it became shit. Used to create games on it, but now I have a job.

If I just wanted to fart out more brown+bloom shovelware, I'd just use Unity and be done with it.

Otherwise, they are all architectural disasters.

Crytek.

Dishonored 2 vs Prey. Prey looked way better

How the fuck are you even supposed to compare shit like that? What does an engine even do that using OpenGL directly won't?

I think it's all about the shaders and the way they compute reflections and shadows, as far as graphics go.

OpenGL is a low level API.

I'll be sure to use slow ass fuck arbitrary precision decimal arithmetic on my next game user ;) even though physics calculations are done zillions of times per second ;) ;)

I think he means game engines are closer to simulating the moon's gravity than that of earth.

I guess earth gravity makes for boring game play.

Engines handle more than graphics. In particular, they including special tooling such as level editors that can take months to build from scratch (and then some, if they include custom scripting languages or visual scripting). Then there's asset pipelines and things like scene management. There's also UI and system abstractions.

OpenGL is an untreated abortion.

With a game engine, you get that writing abortion along with a warm bag of placenta and a hysterical wife.

Havoc has an amazing physics engine.
The FOX engine excels with cross-platform standardization.
Anvil/Snowdrop is good for fast turnarounds time for complex model texturing.

My favorite engines are Decima and Frostbite.

Source 2.5 will be amazing tho.

good choice

>until they decided they wanted to make a second Unreal Engine
Actually that's not what they doing but they should.

>Otherwise, they are all architectural disasters.
This. I wonder why Torque gets even hyped now and then.

That looks cool.

Are you the kind of looney that does web development in C?
>what does a web server even do that using TCP sockets directly won't?

Frostbite, by far

just watched a talk by mike acton where he claims
>hed use C99 if personal choice
>he doesnt use most of the C++ bs
>he uses C++ mostly because thats what everyone else uses
>he uses C++ because MSVS has shit C support
>C with namespaces is what he uses basically
so kek at you

>What does a programming language even do that writing machine code directly won't?

don't let the Sup Forums memes get to you, faact is that finding someone capable in opengl and C/C++ is getting harder every day

using a premade engine cuts the middle man to save time and money and the rest is history

>taking words of a sweating swine as literal gospels
Jonathan blow has done more for data oriented programming than that prick