/wt/ - Watch Thread - Jackie Stewart edition

This thread is about the appreciation of whorology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=BsZoAD4PnWA

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ofrei.com/page474.html
youtube.com/watch?v=ktVHG1m0z5s
jomashop.com/alpina-watch-al-750b4e6.html
images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51Bixl8JYAL.jpg
thewatchface.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/vostok_space2.jpg
wornandwound.com/watches-space-yuri-gagarin/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This is a good watch.

>whorology
Fix this next time please

user what watch are you getting me for Valentines day?

Watch is on upside down and her head is literally a medical condition

A good fuck before I call ICE

>mfw reading about the 3130 movement

It's brilliant

How hard would it be to put a cyclops on my SARB017? Could a watchmaker do that?

Did you try searching or actually asking a watchmaker? ofrei.com/page474.html looks like you can get a cyclops for like $6 and some glue for like $6, then I guess beg your dentist to let you borrow his UV lamp or maybe you can just let it sit in direct sun for a while or something?

I'm on a cheap watch buying spree.

Just got my second Casio. I got a Wave Ceptor on the way as well.

What other must have Casio watches should I look into?

I also bought 4 cheap sub $20 mechanical watches off Ali Express in different styles. I want to test different styles for my eventual proper watch purchase.

Based Jackie thinking about how to keep F1 poofter free. Not 100% successful but very close. (pic unrelated)

Does anybody seriously give gifts outside of chocolates/flowers for valentines day?
Burgers excepted of course as they are like fish in a barrel for marketers

I can hardly imagine it looking any better than this abomination. Don't do it, user.

Do you mean the Poljot 3133?
Are you the guy who I showed that website about that movement?

Nevermind, just found out 3130 is a Rolex movement

watches are just a fashion accessory in this day and age when more people have smartphones than running water or toilets. you need to go back

>digs in pocket.
>presses button to display screen.
vs
>looks at wrist.

sorry, but using a cellphone as a watch is like using a pocket watch.

no

more like
>dips two fingers in pocket
>pulls out phone and swings it into position fast as shit
what's the matter? are you a timeslinger or something? does every milisecond count when you need to look at the time?
yes

you don't like wristwatches so you of course clicked on a thread about wristwatches to spend your time bitching and moaning about it

we get it, good job

yeah, my clients love it when I pull my smartphone out as I'm presenting to them.

again

>again
>

>more like
>>dips two fingers in pocket
>>pulls out phone and swings it into position fast as shit
vs
looks at wrist.

sorry, faggot. You can't beat a watch that can last 20 plus years, does not need charged, and always has good time, and is pretty much impossible to break.

So I finally got a NATO strap for my terrorist F91-W watch.
Did I do good, /wt/?

yup

I have the same setup, it was a bitch to push the pins out for me, I popped one across the room and spent 20mins looking for it

Pretty nice, user. I've got an f91w on this olive strap now. I'd like to get a black/gray/blue but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

except you charge your phone and carry it around wherever you go anyway so it's kind of a mute point

Did you just assume how xiher using xir's phone?

Can’t wait for my soviet Vostok Amphibia 960 scuba dude to arrive.
Does anyone have any other pictures of Soviet/Russian soldiers wearing Vostok watches?

No but here's Johnny Depp

God tier actor. And that picture is just another proof that he’s the king of cool.

Nice signed ring.

What is the cheapest (under $500) mechanical chronograph you can get that isn't trash?

Depends on your definition of trash.
The cheapest new one would be an alpha

every now and then you have to come and remind the subhumans of their place

Why did Archie and Sukahorn fall out with Andy Hunter?

youtube.com/watch?v=ktVHG1m0z5s

The way Clyve was treated was disgusting

also, I never realised how scummy TGV was

from an actual watchmaker or iconic model. right now I'm looking at the China Airforce ST19 but it doesn't really click with me so I'm looking for something else

What about this Alpina?

pleb brainlet talking about things he doesnt unterstand

Isn't that quartz?

Price?

My bad, that is indeed quartz. There are autos that are less than 900ish new but can probably be had for 500 used maybe?
jomashop.com/alpina-watch-al-750b4e6.html

How easy are 2209s to service and mess around with? Just ordered 5 off ebay for practice.

God tier vintage DJ.

V7734 > V7750

Try and disagree, but good luck even trying to form a coherent argument in favor of the 7750.

why do so many watches that have roman numerals have IIII instead of IV

Something about symmetry and shit. Actual Romans used both.

It's so the first 3rd of the dial is only I, the next third adds V and the last third adds X.

I won't disagree but simply add that L5100 > V7734 > V7750.

Is that you fat Canadian?

but why user?

Yup.

I thought so, you really do love the L5100 don't you?
What do you think would be the most affordable watch containing one? I don't have a chrono in my collection.

If we are talking dirt cheap chronographs I would say
321>3017>6139>5100

I love it because I believe that it is an excellent technical design with a proven track record for robustness. It's the only directly driven chronograph complications ever designed as far as I know, and that combined with the vertical clutch and cam actuated make it the most accurate at timing events and shock resistant mechanical chronograph ever designed at any price. It is a triumph of functional design. As far as I'm aware, 176.0012 Omega Speedmasters are still the cheapest way to get one.

The 321 is interesting for historical reasons but as on the technical merits the L5100 is comprehensively better. The 6139 lacks the shock resistance and micro-adjuster for the regulator, as well as having known reliability issues, so I don't see why you'd rate it above the 5100? The 3017 is another archaic design interesting for historical rather than technical reasons.

its just a personal order in which i would collect them. The 5100 is robust when new but its made of plastic and will degrade over time. It is a very low cost movement. I mean by the logic you are using to say the 5100 is better than the 321 you should like the amphibia better than the skx.

Why do uploads keep failing

>The 5100 is robust when new but its made of plastic and will degrade over time
This is simply not true. There are tons of 40 year old L5100s around and their plastic parts hold up just fine because they are used in non driveline areas and the nylon chosen doesn't appear to have any aging related issues.

>I mean by the logic you are using to say the 5100 is better than the 321 you should like the amphibia better than the skx

Not at all, because the 5100 is better on the technical merits. The 321 has a lower beat-rate, inferior horizontal clutch, no shock-resistant micro-regulator, and it's chronograph functions are indirectly driven giving much worse shock resistance to the chronograph function. Yes it has a column wheel design, but a cam actuated design is more robust against shocks and the use of a vertical clutch eliminates the usual negatives of cam actuated designs.

lol i was just baiting you user but i do appreciate the actual explanation. thank you!

Thought it was just me

If you could only own 1 Vostok Amphibia what model would it be?

420 blue scuba dude. for modern
vintage would be either the first one in space or one of the compressor cases.

>first one in space
what would that be, how much do they cost?

are you talking originals made in the era of the first space flight or tributes to that event?

I'm not following this shit very closely, but I recall hunter murmuring about how archie snubbed him after he (hunter) wouldn't lend archie money for one of his bangkok whoring trips he can't really afford to be doing anyway.

So this random american (clyve?) is now being shunned by archie and that random old roadkill aussie fuck for what reason? Did he do a vlog with TVG?

I usually like hearing about random bullshit internet drama, as it makes my relatively uneventful life seem just a teensy bit better (but not really), but holy shit this crap is lame, and every watch youtuber is a cancerous fuck.
Archie was good for a laugh but the joke is stale.
Hunter likes the sound of his own voice and has very little substance. Waste of time to listen to.
That fat fuck (federico?) is pretty mild, but again. mostly pointless.
TGV and his followers are self-explanatory.
By the way, who the fuck is that old indecipherable fart that shows up on archie's channel? Wtf is his deal? Never seems to actually talk about watches and is always rambling on about some unrelated shit.

Why is a 7734 better?
Because the 7750 is made to be cheap?

Does archie do anything but say everything but a rolex or $40k watches are shitters?

I have watched two of his videos and that's all i came away with. Is there any other point?

710 with radio room dial for new.
300m with wire lugs for old.

His shit appears to be very repetitive. I mean, he repeats himself constantly to pad the videos.
If you've watched two you've watched them all.
Used to have them randomly playing in the background, him or some other watch shit. No longer. Now it's just cops, hoarders, kitchen nightmares or tcap.

His message is, essentially: if you're a normal slob that doesn't piss money into a solid gold toilet seat, buy rolex because anything else will have shit resale value WHEN you're forced to sell your useless but costly trinket.
The end.

>His message is, essentially: if you're a normal slob that doesn't piss money into a solid gold toilet seat, buy rolex because anything else will have shit resale value WHEN you're forced to sell your useless but costly trinket.
I guess I can see that as a fair point.

I am not going to brag or anything but I personally could afford to have 2 or 3 rolexes and it not be a big deal. However I am not a millionaire and I do like watches. So even if I bought a Rolex (all i really want that they sell is a sub and i probably would not wear it in public because although i have money I own a business that employs people who do manual labor and I treat them as equals when it comes to being social and I don't want to look like a dick) and that being said I like watches and would personally prefer to own a bunch of $500 watches and collect and trade them for fun and getting to know different movement types than to just have a few 10k+ watches.

but that's just me

I bought myself this very Timex Weekender.
How pleb am I?

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51Bixl8JYAL.jpg

Uploads fail because Hiro is a jew

I gave mine away because I could hear the fucker ticking in an oak drawer from across the room.

I actually find that soothing.
Same reason I use a cheap as shit pocket travel alarm clock you can hear ticking from across the room.

Trust me, it's not soothing at all. It ticks like no other watch or even clock I own.

Modern scuba dude is pretty disappointing though, the blue is ugly and doesn't match with any coloured bezel, it's also fairly matte. A shame as the older blue scuba dudes are beautiful for how cheap they were.

pin-pallet alarm clocks with e.g. 14,400 bph movements are much more soothing than quartz

I got a '74 Seiko Advan with the 6016c 25-jewel movement, but Sup Forums is not letting me post pictures of it.

I'm always keeping an eye out for an Advan that doesn't look hilarious.

upload failed!
thewatchface.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/vostok_space2.jpg

>thewatchface.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/vostok_space2.jpg
wow cool

I thought the watch that Yuri wore on the first space flight was unknown but assumed to be one of 2 or 3 models

how much would one like his from that era cost?

i don't know much about soviet history but i know that the first spaceflight did not involve 2 guys and one of them from Cuba

This vintage 960 scuba dude I'm waiting for in the mail (Upload isn't working for me either)
I think I'll move on from Vostok after it, pretty much the only Vostok I do really love next to the vintage 300m ones, but those are nowadays too expensive for a Vostok and therefore wouldn't buy them personally.

meant for

he wore a scuba dude on the first spaceflight?

This article says otherwise

wornandwound.com/watches-space-yuri-gagarin/

oh sorry nevermind my previous response

As I posted right after, I answered that post by mistake. Was referring to my favorite Vostok models.

>implying anyone on /wt/ has a girlfriend to give a gift to

> the first one in space
as in the first vostok amphibia in space

I actually do, but she doesn't expect many gifts, and doesn't like when I talk about watches.

Nomos make absolutely gorgeous watches

What is the highest price you would pay for a Tudor North Flag that is in perfect mint condition, with box and papers ?

Name a realistic price, because that's about how much I'll put it up for sale for.

$1800

>get 2 day ban from TGV facebook for saying that my favorite Invicta's are the ones thrown in the garbage

Just look around chrono24 for the average going price of a north flag m8.