/std/ - Simple Text-editor Discussion

What simple text-editor software do you use? Please note the key word "simple". I'm talking about something that you literally use to quickly edit a .txt file, a .md file, or make *very small* edits to individual source files. Examples are Notepad, Notepad2, Notepad++, Gedit, Kate, Nano, Vim, etc. I don't want to hear about shit like Atom or VS Code. If you use those for programming fine, but if you use them for editing simple files then you're retarded.

I start the emacs server on boot, and launch "emacsclient -c" whenver i want to edit a file

Yeah emacs is technically not a simple editor, but the builtin client/server functionality make the startup instantaneous. This makes a riced-out emacs feel faster than a riced-out vim.

nano vim ed sandy

Nano, SciTE (if Notepad++ also counts as simples text editor)

Notepad2-mod

notepad++. it's as fast to start up as notepad, auto idents, and has line numbers.

>simple editor thread
>no one mentions Ed, the quintessential simple editor.
Neo-g strikes again.

Linux: nano or leafpad

Windows: metapad

i use scite

Is there anything like nano but has a real way to delete the current line (i.e. not put it in the clipboard)?

I use geany for most of my editing.

ed!

I'm actually thinking of building something like this, it cannot be that hard right?
Specifically a simple markdown editor with side-by-side instant rendering in GTK3
I've barely worked with GTK before, should I try it Sup Forums?

Riced out nvim, start up, run conf, open 8k lines file and quit:
> time nvim ticker_big.csv +":q"
0.18user 0.02system 0:00.25elapsed

Does this kind of difference really matter?

Nano/Leafpad

>I'm actually thinking of building something like this, it cannot be that hard right?
>Specifically a simple markdown editor with side-by-side instant rendering in GTK3

This is also something I've wanted to make but without it being side-by-side. It would essentially act as a rich-text editor but use markdown behind the scenes. Throw in a simple directory tree panel to the side and the ability to store unsaved temporary files like notepad++ and I have the perfect note taker.

Too bad nearly every markdown editor is made with fucking electron. I don't need to waste 1gb of ram on a a glorified notepad.

>and the ability to store unsaved temporary files like notepad++
Care to give a short idea of how this works? Interested, but not really feeling to install np++.

Would you mean like automatically rendering markdown in-place or more like word (GUI-based styling and markup)?
I like the idea of having just one screen rather than side-by-side, but I think it'd be hard to do right

Akelpad is what I use on windows. You know its good because its written by Russians

Vim without plugins. You can do a lot just with vimscript, especially seeing you can run shell commands within vim.

Sublime

Why would you use GTK user? Do you want to make a Gnome app, or a general application that would work under any DE? GTK is under the control of Gnome and for a while now has been making Gnome-specific feature removals and making breaking changes constantly. The world is moving towards Qt now (e.g. KDE, Budgie -> Budgie-Qt, LXDE -> LXQt, Unity -> Unity Qt), and it's for a good reason.

Meant for

For quick edits I use metapad. It's basically notepad but it respects UNIX line breaks and performs better. I replaced notepad.exe with it.

If you close notepad++ with unsaved files open, they'll still be there with those edits when you reopen it.

I use np++ and have no idea what you're talking about. Is it some update within the past couple of years?

vim is not simple.
kate is not simple.
gedit is not simple.

Ed is the standard editor.
Sam is the best graphical editor.

>What simple text-editor software do you use?
My own that I wrote back in uni years ago. It's .txt and .rtf only though.

That's so cool. I've been wanting to do the same thing for a while. Any advice/tips?

Use something high level, I used sepples and direct WinAPI calls.

VIm, but I hear FTE has notepad keybinds so maybe winfag like it that.

>fast

Haha you clearly haven’t tried editing a 30MB txt file in it