/glmg/ - GNU/Linux Minimalism General

This is a general for discussing software minimalism and minimal software for GNU/Linux.

>What is software minimalism?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

>Why software minimalism?
- Fewer bugs
- Better performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Prompt delivery

Acceptable GNU/Linux distributions that aren't bloat

>Alpine Linux (Not GNU)
alpinelinux.org

>Void Linux
voidlinux.eu

>Arch Linux
archlinux.org

>Gentoo
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page
gentoo.org/downloads/

>Debian (netinst)
debian.org/CD/netinst/
debian.org/releases/
wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-pkgtools.en.html#s-apt-get

>Useful links
suckless.org/rocks
harmful.cat-v.org/software/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers

Protip: If you aren't comfortable with the terminal or aren't proficient with GNU/Linux, this thread isn't for you.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3bNITQR4Uso
youtube.com/watch?v=Qm509gYHAe0
wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Slackware-Minimal_Install
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

youtube.com/watch?v=3bNITQR4Uso

>aren't bloat
>arch linux
Pick one

y is she so cute bros

Talk about software, not distros.

Arch and gentoo have >1gb installer ISO, literally noobuntu tier, you call that minimalism?

just download alpine, it's 100mb then setup a deskie

I was in another tab at the end of the song for the first time and that horrific spatial rumbling before the fade scared the shit out of me. I thought I was going to die

why do people keep posting this bitch everywhere
quit it

What's with the recent usage of GNU/Linux instead of just Linux? For the longest time everyone used to laugh at anyone who added GNU in there.

Stop making generals for every tiny fucking topic you stupid shitfucks, /fglt/ already exists.

these posts are bloat, stop.

All posts you replied to started with 64420, you repeated it 6 times bloatfish

Why do you keep expanding the list of minimal distros and the only one listed isn't for the desktop.

Let me help since you're retarded:

Sabotage

Oasis

antergos installer comes as a live system, installing the xfce version off it will get you under 800 packages.

Is there anything less bloated than feh?

viewnior(?)

sxiv is nice

should i switch from arch to void?

If arch is working fine for you then no.

>GNU
>minimal

You faggots are ridiculous
Is there anybody here who actually knows what xe is talking about, or are you all pseuds like this?
Install OpenBSD

well sounds legit. was just a thought... cuz everybody is hatin systemd (and i try to figure out why)

>why

weren't these just Minimalism threads originally? why does GNU have to EEE everything

>OpenBSD
>minimal
you don't know what minimalism is m8, 9front for life

>Install OpenBSD
replying to you from OpenBSD

>t. soyboy who never installed arch let alone gentoo.

Arch ISO is 550MB and every package you decide to install you take it directly from repos. It's as minimal as you can get. Gentoo is pretty much the same.

oh what's that? 1.4MB installation floppy for OpenBSD?
btw gentoo's install iso has 300MB and arch's 520MB

Can anyone give me some noob advice.
I've read the wiki a bit but still can't figure out where exactly X is invoking i3 on debian.
I've got the xinit packing and using startx starts i3, but in neither Xsession nor xinitrc does it show anything to do with it.

>9front
>minimal
Install TempleOS you nigger. All you need is a bible in your operating system and a bunch of discipline.

already burned all bibles around and want the memenet

I have 280 packages in @world and 225 of them are fonts (because why not?).
So I have pretty much 55 real packages in @world and 43 in @system. Is it normal to have 1206 packages installed or do I have to fix check something?

How are the other /gentoo/men doing?

Your font rendering is shit by the way

no.

it's not really visible on 1366x768 15.6"

I prefer the Night Tempo Mix (Future Funk)
youtube.com/watch?v=Qm509gYHAe0

It came up in their recommendations and now they think they're cool because an algorithm decided their music taste

Still better than thinking you're cool for ignoring music you actually like because you once saw it in the youtube sidebar

I didn't say I ignore it, it's just a bit silly how people post that thing when the robot has been spamming it to everyone

How do you guys go about autisticly checking software for minimalism?

I used to check things like file size and memory usage.

Now I check to see if it's coded in C, and count the lines of code. I end up using whatever software has the lowest lines and the features I need.

So basically whatever has the least moving parts, but not the thing that works the best

I check memory usage and compare lengths of c programs. Memory usage typically takes precedence, but shorter programs and lower memory usage typically go hand in hand anyway.

men of culture
raging faggot

I know thats plastic loooooove

What a minimal alternative to Network Manager. Something CLI based, maybe a small GUI so I can have it displayed on a bar. Tried just NM-CLI, but connecting to WPA2 Enterprise is a pain.

people keep suggesting wpa_supplicant

she grew old gracefully.
but then menopause hit.

Not OP, but this is what I generally do.
wpa_supplicant -i(wifi interface) -D(wifi driver, just experiment here, most of my machines use wext) -C/var/run/wpa_supplicant(for a configless run) -B
wpa_cli
scan
scan_results
add_network
set_network 0 ssid "ssid here"
set_network 0 key_mgmt WPA-PSK
set_network 0 psk "wpa pass here"
enable_network 0
dhcpcd
You now has interwebs.
You can configure all this to start at boot and automatically connect to home wifi (with stored/encrypted pass) and passwordless wifi. I usually put it in a script so I only activate wifi when needed.

Whoops, the wpa_cli line should probably be: wpa_cli -p/var/run/wpa_supplicant

A renaissance in music brought by weebs embracing saccharine japanese radio pop.

This might be the Kali-Yuga but we're entering a pretty sweet cycle within it I reckon.

Is there a compositor more minimal than compton? I only care about transparency, and since I use a tiler it just needs to bleed the wallpaper through on terminal backgrounds. Exactly the effect achieved by the psuedotransparency option provided in some terminal emulators, but compositing seems to draw faster, and fast redraw is highly desirable. fbterm does this excellently on the framebuffer, but I want something for X as well. Reccs for appropriate terminal emulators also welcome. I've tested xterm, aterm, eterm, and urxvt. Currently using urxvt.

You should add Slackware

Yes, the ISO is 4,9GB or something, but you get the option in the ncurses menu to install whatever you want. You can easily do a minimal installation if that's what you want.

There is even a guide in their official wiki
wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Slackware-Minimal_Install

These softwares have to be terminal based! No expection
>Music player
>Image viewer
>File Manager
just use the terminal
>Text Editor
I don't care if these softwares are bloated
> Web browser
can't be too bloated. Firefox is the standard even tho its bloat
> video/image editor
> games
etc etc

The only thing I don't like about Slackware is that by default it picks LILO and updating is a pain. Personally I prefer just installing the very minimum Debian install just so I have a usable package manager

Not adding anything at all. Every distro is a meme expect for the ones listed in op. Tbh void, alpine are memes but they are pretty minimal.

i'll trade your GPU for my CPU ;)

trading is bloat. make your own gpu/cpu

maybe it's set as the session somewhere? I mean sounds like it just werkz, is that a problem?

>ninimalism
>fuckton of runtime libraries between you and the linux kernel

Pick one.

Check the libraries they link against.