Does anyone else get annoyed when people underestimate just how old certain technologies are?

Does anyone else get annoyed when people underestimate just how old certain technologies are?

My dad was born in 1956. He got consumer internet set up in his dorm room in 1976, and met his wife on a dating website in 1981.
I was born in 1985. I clearly remember upgrading from dial-up to 1 mb/s DSL in 1992. Streaming websites with thousands of different TV shows to watch already existed by that point.
I got my first cell phone in 1995 for my 10th birthday, and it could take decent quality videos (either 360p or 480p, I forget).

People who act as though these all sprung up out of nowhere during the 2000s and 2010s get on my nerves so bad.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_websites_founded_before_1995
nokiamuseum.info/category/launching-year/1995/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I get annoyed when people overestimate the availability of tech. It didn't spring up out of nowhere, but it wasn't ready for prime time before that and was only available in a handful of cities at a ridiculous price.

hahahaha
i'm born in the 2000 and i can REMEMBER that part of canada still had shitty internet in 2010...
Streaming in 1992? are you retarded? Your browser couldn't even read a simple fucking codec!

You are clearly nostalgic and trying to yell a the kids for being kids... just shut the fuck up.

You know what grinds my gears? Anons who create useless threads on Sup Forums jist to complain about something.
YOU PIECE OF SHIT ATTENTION WHORE GO BACK TO Sup Forums!

Stop using lolis..... you are 32....

>consumer internet set up in his dorm room in 1976

>met his wife on a dating website in 1981

>I clearly remember upgrading from dial-up to 1 mb/s DSL in 1992
Oh, it took me this long to understand this is bait and just not a retard.

underage b&

I'm 36 and I still use lolis daily. Sometimes by force.

OwO

>He got consumer internet set up in his dorm room in 1976,

>The first commercial online services went live in 1979.

really mages you thing

2000s were a stagnation

>website in 1981

Don't you mean a netBBS or ftp server? :^) The web wasn't invented until about 10 years later by Tim Berners-Lee

>i trust wikipedia the post

>my high school teachers told me to not trust wikipedia so I don't the post

Anyone with a brain won't trust wikipeda without proper citation, just because how it work.

>dating website in 1981
The fucking scientists at CERN didn't even launch a website before 1991 but apparently by then a dating website had been up for 10 years?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_websites_founded_before_1995

That's not nice famalam, lolis have feelings too.

>I was born in 1985
damn, you're old

>how it work

Yes but their perceptions reflect when that technology became mainstream.

They may be uninformed but the point is there is a reason and meaning to their perceptions.

The only feeling they have are towards me.

>using the smiley with the carat nose

Maybe as dating site meant a mail-order bride ftp server.

>dating website
>web wasnt concieved until 1989
Ok bud

@64431106
retard and his bait, kys OP

???
I thought the internet was just a government thing during the '70s, a college and university thing during the '80s, and that you couldn't get internet in the home until 1993?

Actually, the web wasn't something widely available until '93

No, I mean 'website.' As in, open up a browser and type in www.whateverdatingsiteheused.com.

Maybe user fell out of a parallel universe.

I didn't really get on the internet until 1999, but the thing I'll always be mystified by is how my cable internet connection in 1999 was about 30mbps for about $40/mo, and I live in the exact same town in 2018 now and I'm paying $40/mo for 25mbps.

OP is probably a reptillian 1% elite who gets technology early.

But he's half right, just it wasn't internet, but BBS systems. My uncle met his wife on a dating BBS he made in the early 80s. With said BBSs, you just dialed a phone number, but if the server was in another state, it would be a long distance call, so $$$$$. My cousin spent a lot of my mother's cash this way in the 80s. Picture and video was possible, but on a few hundred baud it took days to download a picture.

Anyway, despite OP possibly being senile or a reptillian 1% elite, he is right. Tech adoption vs when it was first around is a giant issue, and it's actually a big drive why normies buy new shit so much. I remember for example, using AIM on a crappy Nokia phone in 2003. But people act like mobile messaging is new now. Streaming video with realplayer/windows media player. It kinda goes on. But acting like it's all new is a great way to sell tech, so that's why it's done and there's collective amnesia about the potentials of old tech.

Of course for OP, maybe geography has some to do with it. A guy I know lived in Taiwan in the 90s and came to USA in the early 2000s and was surprised at dial up internet being a thing here. So who knows.

So you're an oldfag from a rich white family. And also you like anime so you're a homosexual.

Actually sounds like it at this point.

user, when did DVDs come out there?

>2018
Possibly not at this point.

You know what annoys ME? Pampered first world babies who think everyone has had technology rain from the sky is bags made of gold into their heads like they had.

>I got my first cell phone in 1995 for my 10th birthday, and it could take decent quality videos (either 360p or 480p, I forget).

nokiamuseum.info/category/launching-year/1995/

why are you lying on the internet?

Isn't CERN involved in time travel?

Can someone confirm or deny whether this sounds like bullshit? I'm no technology expert, but 30 mb per second for $40 in 1999 sounds... not true?

I definitely remember downloading songs at 2.5mb/s off napster to burn CDs for people

Am I in some kind of bizarro world where people think what OP says is true?

Clearly you also fell out of a parallel world.

Tell me, how many Challenger missions were there?

if you don't recognize this as b8, youre a retard

Why do you say that?

your parents are lying to you

OP's ramblings aside, there were world-spanning networks long before the internet.
IBM had V-NET which was For Internal Use Only.
Other IT companies had their own networks as did many multi-national companies.
In the mid-'80s some pioneer installed a gateway between V-NET and the DARPAnet. Access was by application and required management approval.
So there I was downloading USENET newsgroups to floppy disk and taking them home to read at my leisure. Did you know that a newsgroup, comp.sys.apple2 for instance, could consume a whole box of stationery if you printed rather than saved?

>OP's ramblings aside

I don't know much about technology, is OP exaggerating as to how early these things came about?

Yes

All of that existed, but it's not like many people had it

Your dad probably didn't say "website", he probably said "sort of like a website", because you're so retarded he knew he had to dumb it down for you.

Did streaming websites exist in 1992?

Nope, but digital video did. One day while crawling FTP servers I found a bunch of anime openings in some obscure format that looked bad. Upload date of 1993 or 1994, guy wrote a text file saying he ripped them with a 33mhz Mac and some capture device.

But OP is from a parallel universe, delusional, or reptillian 1% living in a deep underground military base for saying streaming existed back then. Computers had hard drives in the megabytes back then, first off. Even his claims of 480p/360p are way off, a Motorola Razr/etc kind of phone from the early 2000s could only do 144p or 240p generally.

HTTP and the "World Wide Web" didn't exist until the 90's, faggot.

Everything is scooted a decade forward