Partition Ratio

I have just purchased a new 3TB hard drive. What is the best setup for my partitions to handle System, Media and Backups?

I'm thinking:

System (Windows, Programs, Games): 750 GB
Media (Movies, Music, etc): 1.5 TB
Backup (backup image of the system partition): 750 GB

Thoughts?

>Backup (backup image of the system partition): 750 GB
a backup on the same drive......

Yea I know, but a separate partition is better than nothing.

Thanks for your help guys.

Backups of your system and media shouldn't be on the same disk but on another disk entirely. Backups of other sources can of course be stored on this disk.

OP,
You cannot store backups of data from a disk on that same disk. It's just a waste of space and doesn't nearly decrease changes of data-loss.

That backup needs another storage medium.

why even partition, there is no point these days, just use everything on one partition.

multiple partitions are annoying. first thing i do is repartitioning if i ever get a drive with more than one partition.

>System (Windows, Programs, Games)
Get an SSD.
>Backup (backup image of the system partition)

Not OP, but you can reinstall the OS without moving your data around.

true, i guess, but why even install an OS on a 3TB drive when we have SSD's for that.

HDD is for storage
SSD is for OS and applications

>new 3TB hard drive

brother, no matter how you organize it, i just want to say "be careful" and pay attention to the SMART stats for that drive, especially if it's a Seagate.

I've run probably a dozen 3TB Seagates through my two NAS'es due to failures and replaced them with 4TB models that have been rock solid for years. Just..... watch out.

It really isn't.

>there are people that still put their os on a hdd

>"be careful" and pay attention to the SMART stats
You cannot be careful other than accepting that that disk can fail any moment. This doesn't apply to just this disk but ANY disk. If you have one copy of data on only one disk consider it already lost.

Get a 1TB SSD for software, games and system
Don't partition the 3TB drive, use it for media
Get a 4TB drive for backups and periodically reimage

I am too poor to afford an SSD

Buy an ssd and use it a system drive.
Or learn to maintain your system so you do not need to make partitions at all.

Maybe, but you are not poor enough to be stupid. Save your backups on another device.

OP here.

I do have a 1TB Western Digital Green, I think I will use that as my backup drive.

I'll go with 1TB System Partition and 2TB Media.

Backing your OS up on the same disk doesn't protect you in case your partition table gets fucked, just get a 1 TB external drive to back up your OS and your important data. If you really can't afford an external drive, you still shouldn't have a dedicated backup partition, just keep the OS image file on your media partition (and maybe move it to an external when you can afford one).

Good decision.

Yep, I think that's settled then.

Is 1TB System partition too big though? Will I see a performance decrease compared to a smaller partition?

Partitioning has zero benefits today performance wise. Only partition if you have a clear reason for it.

Whether 1TB is enough is of course completely up to the intended usage of your PC. I personally never ever filled up a 1TB system partition or even ever had one (my biggest until today is 230 GB for a Debian install with LineageOS sources and CCACHE). If you have a very big steam library though you can fill that 1TB right up.

I'll leech of this thread if I can;

How much is enough for a Win10 os partition?

I have hundreds of movies and I am in the process of converting my DVD collection to files. I want a separate partition for this that I can network share without exposing my system files.

Should I do a separate Virtual Memory partition on my WD Green HD? I think the read/write speeds are slower so I don't think I will benefit.

I just remembered, I turn VM off anyway, I have enough RAM.

true, but i just have a reflexive wince when i see 3TB drives now, because i've been astonished at how quickly many of them have failed compared to other sizes.

>Is 1TB System partition too big though?
Yes. You intend to back it up on a 1 TB (1000 GB, 1000^4 bytes) external drive, while a 1 "terabyte" NTFS partition is actually 1.1 TB (1100 GB) in size, as it's actually a 1 TiB (tebibyte, 1024^4 bytes) partition (classic MS autism). Don't fucking go over 750 GiB with your partition, there's no need to do so, just use the remaining space on the external for backing up other data.

100 TiB is enough for a couple of programs and a single huge game, but I'd go for at least 300 GiB if I used windows full time and wanted to gayme.

UNIX:

16 GB for /, rest of the drive for /home

Windows:
64 GB for C:\, rest of the drive for D:\ (data)

>"""backup""" on the same drive
The absolute state of Sup Forums

So when your HD fails and you've backed up everything to the same, what chu gonn do?

the absolute state of Windows babies

>System (OS/Programs)
100 GB
>Media (Games/Movies/Music/Data)
2.5 TB
>Backup
Rest

>16 for /
that way your shit will stop working very quickly. you cant run any commands if that partition ever gets full.

Let's say that I want eight drives that have the same 3 partition sizes (30%-40%-30%), can I create striped+mirrored volumes for just the first partition, double parity stripe the second, and mirrored-JBOD the last?