Irdeto acquires Denuvo in bid to beef up security for the games industry

gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-01-23-irdeto-acquires-denuvo-in-bid-to-beef-up-security-in-the-games-industry

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Piracy
google.com/patents/EP2998895A1?cl=en
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

so what, it'll get cracked anyway at some point in time
also stop using non-free DRM protected software like gaymez

Well, that's a good way to have irdeto stuff cracked.

This is denuvo admitting defeat.

Irdeto come suck my dicketo!

who cares nugames a shit

the last five denuvo releases (all from nov 17) still haven't been cracked

denuvo already won

I was playing tom Clancy ghostlands earlier today denvuo ain't shit on pirates.

ike i said, it'll get cracked at some point in time
dosen't mean it'll be tomorrow or next mounth or even in the next ten years

(+)Sonic Forces 2017-11-07 2018-01-21 CPY 4.8

UNCRACKED DENUVO GAMES

Name Released Denuvo Variant
Handball 17 2016-11-15 3
Assassin's Creed: Origins$ 2017-10-27 4.8+VMProtect
Need For Speed Payback¥ 2017-11-10 4.8
Football Manager 2018 2017-11-10 4.8
Injustice 2 2017-11-14 4.8
Star Wars Battlefront II¥ 2017-11-17 4.8
Star Ocean: The Last Hope HD Remaster 2017-11-28 4.8

Just a matter of time. Takes a while to crack the latest denuvo shitware, but after it is done once, it's good for every title with denuvo malware.

Next up we see if denuvo has any other tricks up their sleeves. If so, it'll protect a few games for about 2 months before they get cracked.

If you call that a win for denuvo, you're some kind of cuck.

most sales happen with the first month, if drm keeps away pirates for that long it has already done its job

Pay attention, it only takes a month or two to crack a new denuvo protection version, then they start getting cracked and released on the first day.

Now you can hope denuvo has another trick up its sleeve for 5.0+ or denuvo is dead.

Many will just way, not to mention that current industry policy on dlc makes it better to wait a year after release and pirate the whole thing.

Yes, this is Irdeto acquihiring the people who designed the white-box stuff.

Good for them. I wish them well in their future career. It was fun.

Maybe next time it takes more than 1 hour 50 minutes.

wake me up when i can pirate fifa 16 my dude

All these games are shit, that's why.

I have sworn to never even touch a product that has Denuvo, due to the fact that I do not like software running on my computer without my permission. Back in the day we called that malware.

>pirates
>pirates
>pirate
>pirate
gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Piracy

Reminds me of use of "racism".

GTA V already got cracked so I don't care about any of the other games

>at some point in time

sales numbers have shown that about 90% of sales are generated within the first month

so, it doesn't matter. Like user said they have already managed to bridge the 0day for these games.

It will be cracked down the road, though Denuvo can also release a new type of protection for the new games. If they mange to keep it obfuscated for a few months, they keep winning.

It's probably because most anons see it as not even worth it. It's not that it's more difficult but a lack of motivation. Whos excited to play Asscreed in Africa?

Doesn't Irdeto own the patent on whitebox cryptography or something like that?

lol, most people on Sup Forums wouldn't even know where to begin if they tried cracking denuvo

Is there that many people who can't wait and fall for it? Otherwise it's waste of money.

>Is there that many people who can't wait and fall for it?
There are plenty: Especially for subpar and overpriced games.

This is the market they want to keep the most.

And yeah, it is a waste of money, but one that gets lots of supid purchases from these people so it will most likely be worth it in the end - financially speaking.

>If they mange to keep it obfuscated for a few months, they keep winning.

Rumor has it they are working on a solution based on machine learning to automatically generate unique VM architectures for their obfuscation

Imagine having to reverse a new one per game or even multiple different ones, gonna be fun

I'm going to level with you: Denuvo doesn't do anything really bad like StarForce, SecuRom or TAGÈS did. There's no driver-level shit. It's all user-mode, no TSR.

It isn't exactly a copy-protection (it does not directly do licensing, but does do checksumming and personalisation/watermarking). But I think "anti-tamper" is also a bit misleading.

It does use some techniques from viruses, and one from cryptographic literature too. It does have some overhead, but not a lot (unless people are idiots with it and call repersonalisation APIs in the main loop).

There are code fragments which are run through a mutation engine which relies on CPU errata specific to your computer's hardware revisions to stay out of the badlands. There are a few other things too, particularly when combined with VMProtect (which actually weakens it) but that's what drives the core.

A solution has been delivered. It does take a fair bit of computation: the timing of cryptocurrency mining is unfortunate. It's up to the recipients what to do with it now or to apply it to specific things.

Honestly, I don't care or mind. I'm sure there are a ton of firms with patents on specific implementations in the area. I don't consider it an ethical, productive or useful field so in my opinion the more of a patent briar patch it is, the better.

Vague "machine learning" buzzwords certainly would not scare me: CNN output would be easier to solve than the present solution, and I would find it an interesting diversion to optimise.

You might be confusing it with VMProtect (with which it is sometimes combined), or maybe Themida?

Denuvo itself is already individualised.

What one can invent, another can discover.

It might make a fun talk one day.

>implying pirates can't wait a month
If they know that games get cracked after a month, reliably, then of course they will wait.
DRM doesn't help anyone.

Actually, Denuvo encrypts missing game constants server-side with your CPU and OS data and sends them to you, it's all in the patent

google.com/patents/EP2998895A1?cl=en

There is no code mutation based on hardware, only the constants get encrypted (obviously only your PC can decrypt them because it holds the correct hardware info) and your unique data is just the CPUID instruction result, values taken from PEB, NT version, number of physical pages, PE header values from ntdll, kenrel32 and so on

It's so effective because there are hundreds such constants used throughout the game

>You might be confusing it with VMProtect (with which it is sometimes combined), or maybe Themida?

VMProtect and Themida have different opcode representations and different polymorphic obfuscation on handlers per VM instance, but the general architecture remains the same between instances - the number of registers, instructions, etc. remain the same

Generating a new architecture is a meta-solution, it's like you would code a new VM every time - in this case studying each new VM is a waste of time and you need some generic solution

>If they know that games get cracked after a month, reliably, then of course they will wait.
True, it should not be reliable, like you just need to crunch numbers for a month and get the solution.
It needs to have an uncertainty and getting more than a month, maybe even 3 every now and then certainly takes away the assurance that the wait will be over soon.

Another thing is that there are "hardcore pirates", they will never buy the overpriced game no matter what. And then there are console gamers who happen to use a computer instead of a console.
At the moment, piracy and PC gaming overlaps to such an extent it can't really be distuinguished much from one another.

If Denuvo or whatever mechanism at least gets most of the casual gamers back, then they have suceeded in protecting the main marketing strategy, the one that cashes out on hype.

Perhaps my scope of reference is limited, but out of everyone I know that games on PC they either always buy their games or never buy.
I have yet to meet anyone who only buys games if they remain uncracked for a month, or two, or even half a year.

Poor shitskins BTFO

The patent does not describe the whole implementation. Those are the whitebox inputs.

We used to call that metamorphic (as opposed to polymorphic). It's not new, per se, and a generic solution already exists.

I mostly agree with your observation. I believe publishers also want to make the buying route more attractive over the long term.
If you take "console only" releases for instance, most PC gamers will not buy a console because of this, just because they need to wait longer. It does however reward console gamers - and probably motivates them to stay on the platform.
Same could be applied to Origin etc. Getting the convenience, quick access type of benefit.

There are no good modern games that have denuvo so who gives a shit

I can speak for myself
I'm not on a private tracker anymore for games
I don't trust public ones
and I see no problem waiting 2-4 years for the games to go 5$ or less, 10$ if they are multiplayer focused and are still in prime window for playerbase
the small amount of money is worth it to me for the hours they give, but considering all the classes I regularly play on consoles, the games that defined genres and are still mechanically hard to if not unsurpassed today, I have very little NEED to buy day one.

nier automata
dishonored 2
DOOM (patched out now)

>10$ if they are multiplayer focused and are still in prime window for playerbase
needs to be a popular game to still have a prime window 2-4 years in

back in my heyday for piracy, I would download and play everything, I was very willing to open my self up to new game types to see if I liked them, and I would regularly buy the games later on as a result of my positive experience. but so little of the AAA is must play, and much of the games I like are now indie so them going sub 10$ happens fairly regularly and soon after launch.

To expand on my reply a little: I think the patent they filed probably does cover an early prototype implementation, but they probably iterated past that early on (before any version I've taken a look at) as that would have resembled things like MS did with their DRM too much.

Stuff like that is used for whitebox inputs, and checksum seeds.

It's not exactly all new, or magic. I do commend it for being relatively unobtrusive compared to some previous solutions. I think maybe it's only getting the attention it is because of PR/shilling (reminds me of StarForce's approach to their competitors), or perhaps because not everyone remembers the Securom days, or maybe just because a lot of the more seasoned crackers these days have retired and the newer ones were used to different, and often materially simpler, techniques.

At least I'm pretty sure we'll never see virus protection again.

Only people who say beef up security are people who don't understand how data works.

yeah but thats implying most 'pirates' would pay for the game even if they couldnt get a cracked version which in almost all cases I doubt they would. All the new anti piracy stuff is fairly intensive and has caused some recent games to run like shit. The companies also must pay a large sum of money to use it I imagine this far exceeds their 'lost revenue' from piracy I put that in qoute marks since people who want a cracked game are unlikely to pay for it anyway