Why do developers say they need more than two monitors? One monitor for running tests, one for code...

Why do developers say they need more than two monitors? One monitor for running tests, one for code. What the fuck do you need more for?

Do these people know about tabs?

pleb pls, everybody knows that

>one for code
>one for tests and terminal
>one for SFW browsing
>one for NSFW browsing
>one for chat apps (slack, irc, telegram, etc)

tf are you doing on Sup Forums, jesus christ

also,
>spaces >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> tabs

>spaces > tabs
Tabs are more optimal. You must be a web developer.

Also
>focusing on web browsing instead of task at hand

>Also
>>focusing on web browsing instead of task at hand

yeah, if you'd been a programmer you would've known better

Optimal in what way?

3 monitors are a must.

>one for code
>one for running the app
>one for terminals

Ideally, you should have a fourth monitor for browsing/entertainment stuff.

they're optimal to fuck up your formatting

same type of people who drive this

One for documentation, one for code, one for tests and VMs.

>Why do developers say they need more than two monitors?
Note how most "battle stations" with multiple monitors are running Microsoft Windows, an operating system renowned for its sub-par window management capabilities. Ironic, regarding its name.

mo views mo problems

>>>>>>>>ERLANG

>t. procedural babby

>2018
>using spaces

neck yourself

>2018
>not using spaces for readability and then running the source through a build tool that strips out whitespace

>One monitor for running tests, one for code.

The third monitor is for music, shit-posting on Sup Forums, netflix, and other shit I shouldn't be doing at work mostly.

Why would you need a separate monitor for tests? Especially when you could could using it to read docs.

1 - 2 - 3
4 - 5 - 6

Top row: stuff I frequently check, and don't want to keep in focus all the time, it'll flash/blink if my name is mentioned or something important arrives

1: e-mail/tickets
2: scratchpad/file browser/terminals: It usually accumulates over time
3: IRC

Bottom row: stuff I'm working on, has 90% of my eyeball time

3: documentation, web browser
5: code
6: test VM/test browser

>they read docs more than once
fucking brainlets monkeys everywhere

Nailed it

nobody has a monitor that only shows their security cameras?

If someone wants to break into my house, they can have a taste of freedom in the form of hot lead.

edgy m8. mothers should not have to worry about their sons lives every time they commit a home invasion.

Laptop to the side: just for slack
Primary 5k monitor: for everything else

i might do it later, if i have enough time to start playing around with opencv or some shit

3 is the sweet spot but 4 is perfect for me since i remote into a bunch of dual monitor computers. then i can stretch the rdp window between two of my monitors and then use the other two for work and research.

horizontal is better than vertical though. fuck that four square setup

Real reasons:
1. To fuck with the IT guy whose job it is to install the monitors
2. To look like you're doing a lot of work when half of the monitors are probably just idling something you use occasionally

Portrait for kode
Docked laptop for files/docs
Landscape for ssh

I still could use more

>Tabs are more optimal.
>more optimal.

Mouthbreather detected

that is fucking hot

i use 4:
1 with git and running unittests
1 for coding
1 for specifications and other code related to the files im currently working on
1 for man pages and api references

1 for dev environment
1 for testing / terminals
1 for API documentation and stack overflow
1 for calender/schedule for the workday
I use 4 screens and 2 keyboards, mouse and pad.

>2 keyboards

I once did that as a joke, two keyboards plugged into the one PC and typing on both at once (one hand on each). Confused the fuck out of the office full of normies

ms sql explorer or iFix, PI, my scada system maybe wonderware, PI AF... idk you tell me how I should monitor the glass making process for your stupid chink phone....

consider the following pic-related, which fits on one screen

>word wraping

Doesn't help when I have email open and several rdps

Why don't you just buy big monitor and use window manager?

:set tabstop=4
:set shiftwidth=4
:set expandtab

Best of both worlds

>using jscript

Hello Sup Forums, I am currently a pleb with one monitor and I want to upgrade. I plan to get into development/programming.

What use would you guys assign to the different monitors in this layout?

Center screen for most shit, right screen for a browser window, left screen for terminal and music player.

This picture was taken in 2007 when that monitor was easily worth $3000+. Fuck off.

1: IRC chat, anything chat
2: Gaming, Browsing, Multimedia, Programming, etc
3: Development, debugging, etc.

What monitor is that?

middle monitor for main programs (game, etc)
left monitor for all chat apps including steam/teamspeak, etc
vertical right monitor always has browser on it

I use center for fullscreen Photoshop/Blender and the side one for references/blender tutorials.

I wish I had two or a bigger sidescreen though.

I would put then on the one side so I wouldnt have to turn left and right all the time, just left when i need to.

I use two 1920x1080 monitors, one has my text editor and a terminal, the other has a browser for testing my core (webdev pleb) and either a music player or chat of some sort (usually Whatsapp, it's what we use at work)

A single 32" 4k (IPS) monitor is patrician.

Everything else is, you guessed it, plebeian in nature.

see It is always good to have some extra space on the side.

>jeff dean single monitor.jpg
This man is a true genius and the most valuable Google engineer. He's like a God at Google and not even the CEO would go against him. He literally made Google what it is today and wrote/worked-on all of their most important software stacks. He's worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Now, notice something interesting:

He doesn't have two, three or four monitors and he doesn't have some gigantic TV screen that kills your focus and distracts him from everything important.

He's not distracted by having a phone out on his desk, because he doesn't use such technology as a lifeline like consumerist millennial do who'd literally die without their phone.

He doesn't have some bullshit meme mech keyboard with some special switches that were forged by elves in Japan from katana-grade steel and lights that emit perfect sRGB colors.

He doesn't have some tricked out text editor with million different features and colors.

He doesn't run some super-autistic Linux distro like Arch that demands you babysit it all the time, or a useless toy OS like Windows.

He doesn't have some DE with customized CSS US that you usually see in tons of threads on here.

He didn't even change the default theme, colors or the default background.

He can afford all that shit, yet he doesn't waste his time on it. Instead, he writes 100x more lines of code than you and is 1,000,000x more accomplished than you'll ever be. And he's infinitely smarter than you'll ever be.

So quit falling for fucking memes and quit craving all the latest bullshit that gets posted on here in these cancerous consumerist "generals" threads. Mark my words, and this is coming from a professional: there's nothing more pathetic than consumers who think having multi-monitor setups makes them productive.

why dont i buy a monitor as wide as four monitors good question

Does the guy in the photo even work like that? You could hold your hands out like that for about 5 minutes...... I wonder if he actually does anything after booting up his computer and arranging the windows. He probably just sits there and browses reddit on his phone the rest of the day.

This implies I run anything in full screen on a 32" @ 4k. It's practically impossible to be useful at full screen. There needs to be padded space on all sides.

Do you also have one keyboard per letter?

>Browsing the web for programming advices.
What a codemonkey

I can't stand using more than one monitor. It's somewhat distracting to me. I did that setup for a while and couldn't really benefit from it.

What kind of retarded question is that? Of course, faggot.

I use 3

>one for code
>one for tests
>one for FNC live stream

>hyperbolizing that hard

>4K 16:10 or 3:2 never

While we're at it, this is Jeff Dean, the Godfather of Google Brain (large scale neural network) and TensorFlow. Can't believe he did all that with one monitor and without a L33t RGB liquid cool rig.

>>>>>>>>>ERLANG
how the fuck does anyone understand this?

An Erlang function that uses recursion to count to ten:[16]

1 -module(count_to_ten).
2 -export([count_to_ten/0]).
4 count_to_ten() -> do_count(0).
6 do_count(10) -> 10;
7 do_count(N) -> do_count(N + 1).

Oh look it's Andy being weird again ....

My hero

> t. king of brainlets

i have never looked into or written a line of erlang in my life
but it seems obvious what that does, how it does it, the structure of the implementation, and what aspects of the syntax imply what functionality.

is it not obvious??

i thought the whole thing where functional programming turns people's brains off was a sick meme

i have a 3rd display so i can watch rick and morty while i'm working

>what is documentation

same as linus, same as every good programmer. More than one monitor = crappy programmer trying to seem important to people in office

does anyoe know which chair that is?

I have 3 monitors and do alot of video production. One monitor is for timeline, another for preview and the last is for general stuff e.g web browsing. Overall my productivity improved by 27% going from one monitor to three and whether the cost is worth it is upto you.

I agree with everything but calling windows a toy OS is retarded. If you can't program on any OS, including windows, it is you that is retarded. You can ssh to linux, install the linux subsystem, etc.

>no trackball
>no ergonomic keyboard

what a peb

>doesn't know what "developer" means
> or what developers do
> makes thread to celebrate being retarded out loud

The current state of Sup Forums.

Some people don't want to learn proprietary spew when open source alternatives exist. Windows doesn't have trivial security, it doesn't have a package manger, nothing.

One for code, one for tests, one for DBs.
Have you ever worked on something bigger than your fizzbuzz?

One window for coding; tests are for soyboy pussies.

My third monitor is for work email.

Why? We don't. What he has there is a 2560x1600 30 inch monitor which is plenty good.

nah, single iMac is enough for serious work
don't support to monitor scammers (Dell, HP, EIZO)

With a proper window manager (usually implying easily accessible tiling) and easily accessible workspaces you only big one.

One big monitor >>>>> multiple smaller monitors.

I work I use one and just use the virtual workspaces. At home I have 8 of them because I'm lazy and because I can.

Agreed.
However, notice that he does use a big ass monitor to properly take advantage of multiple windows. When you're using a sane window manager, however, it can be just as efficient as dual monitors.

An excuse for not knowing your language.

>co-workers have 3 1080p monitors in a row
>and also a small 4:3 monitor above the middle 1080p one
>any time someone who hasn't seen it before comes up says:
>'it's like the starship enterprise up here'

Kill me

I got this setup. Make sure you get enough vertical space on the center one.

My setup:
1) 24" 1200x1920 (used to be a 20", 1200x1600, but that died and I had the 24 lying around)
2) 30" 2560x1600
3) 20" 1200x1600

It felt super comfy having them all be the same height, but different heights is fine too, you'll eventually get used to the setup anyway and won't notice.

Usage for work:
1) browser (email, build server, work backlog, references and stuff), test- runner, debug tools, various stuff
2) ide/editor, mostly split up so two files fit next to eachother. depending on your font size 3 pages can also fit.
3) im/voip client, usually another editor with some project specific files I use for quickly taking notes or keeping todo lists and stuff.

Usage for non-work usage is pretty much random, games pretty much always on 2, steam friendlist is usually open on 3 and discord somewhere on 1. Besides that, I just clutter 2.

>Philanthropy
>Dean and his wife, Heidi Hopper, started the Hopper-Dean Foundation and began making philanthropic grants in 2011. In 2016, the Foundation gave $1 million to MIT to support programs that promote diversity in STEM.