Worlds signs a treaty to standardize AC sockets

>worlds signs a treaty to standardize AC sockets
>only Switzerland and Brazil actually do it
You trolls have no fucking idea how much we suffered to change to this socket, which is marginally better than what we already had. You would think a superstate like the EU would have forced its countries to do it by now.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60906-1
fastcodesign.com/3032807/why-england-has-the-best-wall-sockets-on-earth
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Having the world standardize AC sockets is nice in theory, but in practice North America and quite a few other countries have several other deep and entrenched differences in their AC Distribution (120 V voltage, for example) that goes beyond sockets. In any case, DC sockets are still new enough to have a fighting chance at worldwide standardization.

Italy's socket looks whack though tbqh.

Italy's is weird, but China/Australia's are fucked up. At least Denmark's looks like a happy face.

Sockets in the US don't have switches on them; the cord is live the moment you plug it in. We do have circuit breakers to prevent electrical fires, though. Do houses in your cunt have those things?

The hole in the middle is for the ground pin which does that and eliminates the need for circuit breakers. It basically lets your switch shutdown automatically if it ever gets close to its limit. It was sold along with the three-pin socket when the government pushed the standard.

No idea how Switzerland implemented it, though.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60906-1

>Italy's socket looks whack though tbqh.
why, it's nice

>we use the same one here

more accurate in Italy in recent years.

I've been to Italy 9 times in the past 4 years and from memory have never encountered that socket. Is this legit?

>china copying our powerpoint
we shouldn't of made it look like them

Does Italy actually use this plug? Never seen it.
Pretty sure they have based Schuko sockets as well.

No way we're getting that ugly looking ''socket''

yes.

yes it is in use, but the appliances in recent years are sold only with Schuko plug so either you have a socket like or purchase an adapter as in pic related.

looks like a women's toilet sign

>He fell for the standardization meme

We should all use USB sockets

>usb powered microwave or washing machine

that picture is faulty

Too easy to disengage.
That would also be my criticism of the US socket: mechanically not robust enough.

>UK signs a treaty to adopt the metric system, in exchange for the world to adopt the Greenwich meridian
>100 years later the roads are still labelled in miles and beers in pints
Who's the troll now?

Switzerland's are actually a little bit different. The only ones using ISO's standard are Brazil and, IIRC, South Africa.

We literally have 220~240V in half the country and 110~120 in the other half, and all use the same kind of plug now.

>220~240V in half the country and 110~120 in the other half
for what purpose

>beers in pints
changing that would be unnecessary.
metric system is objectively better, britain is only trolling itself.

>China and Australia
Not surprised

denmark is a happy little bugger

no,fuck off

Somewhat the same in the US, where Congress officially adopted it in the 1970s, and other than abortive attempts at conversion shortly thereafter nobody uses it outside of science and soda bottles.

Top left also ireland and Uganda

>a refrigerator working with 5v
yeah, no way

What does voltage have to do with socket shape?

socket a cute, CUTE!

Not particularly much, but it's still an issue with power distribution that would also need to be standardized.

It's an old socket that is not even on sale anymore, last time I saw it I was at my grandmother's house. See
We're talking about sockets ITT, not about distribution. Also most apparatuses work both with 120 and 220/230, so I don't really see the problem

This. The US has been officially metric for quite a while, but it means nothing 2bh.

so sad brit looks like shit

This guy "forgot" to explain the central hole is almost never connected to any wiring.

At least it gives a sense of security for travellers, since they won't see what's behind the outlet. The Rio and Brasilia guys who chose this muh-we-are-gringo-tier-now standard are so smart at P.R....

Brazilian ones don't actually fit in switzerland's lol

I'm with this faggot.
USB's are horrible to socket.

What about USB Type C
That can carry up to like 100W

USB makes sense only for DC, not for AC which you can plug both ways without difference

Of course I meant for DC
Since so many appliances nowadays use DC anyway, it would make sense for people to have DC plugs in their homes

No it wouldn't. AC has much less dispersion in the long range transmission, and it's also more convenient to get different voltages without changing the transmitting circuit. For example, with 3 outputs at 230 V with phases 120° from each other and a neutral at 0 V you can obtain 230 V between one and a neutral, or 380 V between two outputs. And to convert to lower voltages and convert it to DC is a joke, so it's not an issue.

go USA!

>AC has much less dispersion in the long range transmission
How is that relevant, I never said you should carry DC over large distances
People could just have one large transformer in their home that does the conversion more efficiently than dozens of tinier ones

And how do you plan giving power to hairdryers, ovens and washing machines with DC plugs?

I don't
I didn't say you should REPLACE DC plugs with AC plugs either

*replace ac plugs with dc plugs

If you want a charger with multiple USB plugs to recharge your devices you can buy one online and stick it permanently to an AC socket, where's the problem?

I said so before, there are dozens of low-power devices all over a house that use their own separate transformer
You can't plug them all in the same charger just like you can't plug all your appliances on the same socket, they're not at the same place

Chances are that all of them differ in input voltage. Some work at 5, some at 7, some at 12, some at 24. I have a pedal for my guitar that works with AC, so its transformer is basically just two inductors. How do you plan to create a standard?

Something similar to qualcomm quickcharge I suppose

No, it doesn't work that way. Quick charge works with USB, which is a standard in which voltage HAS to be 5 V. You cannot expect all electronic devices that don't use USB to work with the same voltage.

Quick charge works between 3.6 and 20 volts by 200 mV steps, it does not HAVE to be 5 volts mr smartass

In Italy we use both the """german/korean""" (EU) and the "Italian" socket. The """german/korean""" socket is in fact a universal one and it accepts any relevant variant in the EU. German or french plugs fit in """adapters""" resembling the """german/korean""" universal socket adapting it (eventually) on the other end to the Italian socket.

Also, and Btw: old-fashioned Italian plugs fit in brits/irish sockets too, if they don't have grounding. it's enough to insert something in the relevant grounding hole

All Chinese electronics ship with Type A power bricks. Also more and more houses are switching to Type A power outlets.

Let's face it, Type A will prevail because that's what most electronics ship with.

Similarly, most Japanese sockets can work with /cum/ cords that don't have a grounding pin, and vice versa, but I believe that'll be highly ill-advised.

>Let's face it, Type A will prevail because that's what most electronics ship with.

Yeah in your country. Most electronics are made in asia, they ship electronics with the plug type of the region they are selling to.

>UK
>Israel
>Denmark
>Germany/Korea
Good.

Absolutely howling at the state of the rest of you.

Welp i can't charge my phone in England, never going there then.

>2016
>using the electric Jew

Reminder that the UK has objectively the best plugs in the world

fastcodesign.com/3032807/why-england-has-the-best-wall-sockets-on-earth

As much as those things are not usually relevant, I can't say you're wrong.

t. actually NOT mehmet

just realised our sockets look like concerned anime characters

>his sockets require Herculean strength to unplug

>tfw the australian and chinese outlet literally look chinese

Denmarks socket a CUTE

Ours is basically Russia/EU with a fake hole in the middle tbqh, not even joking.

>marginally better than what we already had
What did you guys used to have?

Top one, which actually fits the new three pin socket so it was handy for older equipment, but newer equipment started being sold only with the three pins, so we were forced to install the three pins socket, anyway.

/ausnz/ went with greatest ally china instead of uk/us plugs

JUST

None.
I think when our grid was being installed back in who knows when different companies were just doing their different things, and the republican government was too fucking inept to regularize it.

So in the end, some parts of the country got power plants and lines for 220V, while others (the important parts of the country) got 110V.

Why not? I don't see what could go wrong with powering everything with 5V 3 amps DC.

>only Switzerland and Brazil actually do it
The standard is CEE 7 and is used in almost all of Europe. Don't blame us for your fuck ups.

That's the Eurozone standard. The international standard was supposed to be IEC 60906-1.

There is always a way

>precise german engineering

How many countries have switches on their outlets? Type A doesn't have them because circuit breakers/fuses are already supposed to be in the house, though I believe most bathroom outlets have "Test" and "Reset" buttons on them.

Just use circuit breaker in order to get it done.

Why fix something that doesn't need fixing? The schuko plug is, unlike the american type a, very safe, sturdy (but not stupid sturdy like the british) and can be inserted in either direction. There's just no reason to change it. The only "problem" is the europlug which can potentially be a bit flimsy.

See the pros and cons for the schuko and the Switz/Br one.

What's the point of having standardized sockets if our shower heads look like this?

Compared to the schuko plug there are only cons

Mine looks like this. Gas heated and all.

Also it'd be a pain in the ass to change such a widespread standard. IDK how long Schuko's been around, but America has had Type A since at least the 1920s, and the main reason the UK switched to its current plug in the 1940s was the widespread destruction of the housing stock during WW2.

Why is there electricity near that shower head?

>Why is there electricity near that shower head?
Because it's an eletric shower head
Pic related is mine

>Electricity near water
Hmmm

You used Europlugs? What about grounding? Was it before that became common?

Yeah. Grounding is not common, but the three pins plug helps it make more popular.

Pretty sure it's just Australia and New Zealand, pretty sure they're required by building codes.

We have breakers/RCDs too though obviously

Indeed; all new construction in the US has been required to have grounded sockets since 1962, and I'd say roughly 75% of plugs sold today are grounded, so maybe the three-pinned socket will help it similarly catch on in Brazil.

I've heard that they also have them in the UK, but I didn't see them in my visits there, though my lodging was restricted to Premier Inn, so IDK.

Yup, every single construction, from houses to commercial buildings, are required to have the new sockets be grounded from the get go, since 2003.

Everywhere has them, even places you wouldn't expect like offices and train stations.

Not a bad start, 2bh.

Interesting. No sockets have switches in the US, they're live 24/7.

Elaborate discussion about power socets.

Sup Forums is so fascinating

I believe the power sockets on Mars will most likely depend on the main origin of the colonists, 2bh. American and Canadians would beget a Type A Mars, while Europeans would spread Schucko, etc.

Makes me wonder, what do they use in the International Space Station?