Intel about to become ScorchingHotLake

anandtech.com/show/12355/supermicro-at-ces-2018-x299-motherboards-for-upcoming-300w-cpus

>Tl,dr: A board manufacturer that doesn't have much of an OC background shows a X299 board that supports cpu's up to 300W TDP, but there are no 300W cpu's right now.

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/12355/supermicro-at-ces-2018-x299-motherboards-for-upcoming-300w-cpus
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You realize the power consumption of Skylake-X chips right? Just look at pic related. The i7-7820X isn't even the top dog and it wants 220+ watts when you OC a little. And that's after a BIOS revision. The i7-7900X is even worse. That X299 board from supermicro isn't about upcoming CPUs, but current ones.

As far as "OC background", that's irrelevant. Overclocking these days is as simple as allowing an unlocked multiplier and proper voltage manipulation. It's simply up to the manufacturer to provide proper a VRM sections, proper phases, and quality parts.

Supermicro has been making server grade dual socket boards for Intel since forever. They're the reason you can still buy a dual socket LGA-1366 server board and have it work even as old as it is. What makes something server grade is reliability. So if anything, I believe supermicro would know more about clean, safe, and sustainable power delivery than others. There's a reason why companies like MSI aren't even on the radar for server or workstation stuff compared to others.

If super micro were to make an AM4 socket board, I'd buy it.

>another one with power consumption
TDP is the rated energy dissipated as heat, not power consumption. So accounting for the energy losses assume a peak power consumption of around 400-450w.

>TDP
I didn't even see the TDP part of OP's post. My bad. I just saw 300w.

So you're fucking telling me Intel has a potential 450w CPU in the works? Are they still just turning up the Wick on the monolith architecture? They're not even going to try to change anything? What's next? They're going to try and make custom liquid the absolute minimum for stock clocks?

Well I don't see Supermicro of all brands releasing a consumer board capable of handling double the current TDP's just because they can. They are primarily a server oriented brand after all, I don't see them going down these marketing gimmicks. There has to be something from Intel in the works.

>So you're fucking telling me Intel has a potential 450w CPU in the works
The [email protected] is already at 550w
1kw under ln2, at positive temperatures
They can't release a more powerhungry CPU because their current ones are already overshooting the power budget like crazy

True. Supermicro usually isn't the brand to randomly release shit
>550w
>Demanding minimum a 480mm radiator just to keep the CPU sub 80C on load
>Positive temps under LN2

I knew it wasn't looking good for Intel, but I never knew it was this bad. I just haven't been paying attention to CPUs in general since I got my 1700X. Holy shit. I though I knew what heat/power was like with my 5.6ghz FX-9370. Jesus. What's the point? Isn't the 16c/32t Threadripper 180w TDP? Why would anyone buy the 7980xe?

This really shows that the core architecture is at its end.

Intel did good and managed it with their tick tock strategy, constantly going down in size limiting power consumtion. But ultimately it is over, they need a new architecture.

AMD will destroy them with Zen which is a completely new design, this is similar to bulldozer, the last remnant of the K7 architecture which was very successful but could not last .

Intel is very much fucked and they know it.

>Isn't the 16c/32t Threadripper 180w TDP?
This might be related. I think those 32c TR rumors might hold some truth after all. Intel might know something we don't and is preemptively acting.

>anandtech.com/show/12355/supermicro-at-ces-2018-x299-motherboards-for-upcoming-300w-cpus

Intel is afraid AMD will release a consumer Threadripper with 32 Cores and 64 threads and are gearing up to defend themselves, releasing something worse than the fucking FX-9590!!! 300TDW WTF!

Yesterday I was talking with a fucker that insisted that an i9 7960x was the better option than a Threadripper 1950X because it has a 7% more effective speed.
For only 750 USD more.
He insisted that it was the best deal in the world.
Even after I pointed that it could be compensated by overclocking or GPGPU aid.

If that's the case, why aren't they fighting AMD on the pricing game? There's still the Intel premium tax for chip and Z series boards where as AMD allows overclocking on all their chips and even on cheap B350 boards.
Eh I don't know. Because AMD just released their 32c/64t EPYC server chip. They wouldn't want to impede those sales. although it'd be sick to see a massive price drop on the 16c/32t TR chips.
>Sub $500 TR 1950X
A man can dream.

Threadipper 32c/64t will absolutely fucking destroy the i9 7960x.

Intel is not prepared

>If that's the case, why aren't they fighting AMD on the pricing game? There's still the Intel premium tax for chip and Z series boards where as AMD allows overclocking on all their chips and even on cheap B350 boards.

We have not reached the point in the market yet where they need to, once momentum picks up, they will drop prices a little. But remember during the Athlon Thunderbird and Athlon 64 era, AMD was also faster than Intel and Intel in that point of time also did not need to drop pricing much.

However now with Meltdown and AMD's brand new architecture things will become interesting.

>Supermicro usually isn't the brand to randomly release shit
Usually, but this board doesn't look like Supermicro but rather just another medicore gamer motherboard.
300w isn't actually that impressive for a house fire platform like x299 and the vrm heatsink is way too pathetic to support actual overclocking
I call DOA

>but there are no 300W cpu's right now
not on intel's watch !
300W desktop cpu lava lake Soon !

>If that's the case, why aren't they fighting AMD on the pricing game?
because Inlets will buy anything that Intel will throw on them no matter how steaming shitty it is Inlets are trained that way

It is because these boards are what customer-tier "Skylake-XE"* (7920X-7980XE) need if want you OC them.

Intel never intended on releasing Skylake-XE to the customer market. They meant to be Xeon-only like previous XE chips but Threadripper changed their tune. Intel needed to keep up apperences in the core-count race. They shoe-horn these chips but motherboard guys were told originally X299 platform was only going up to 7900X and push the launch ahead of schdule

That's why the first-generation of X299 boards had beta-quality UEFI and had power delivery/VRM issues overclocking Skylake-XE chips.

Actually K10 a.k.a Phenom/Phenom-II were the last remnant of the K7. Bulldozer is a different animal.

>why aren't they fighting AMD on the pricing game?

They still don't need to. There is still a sizable chunk of people with more bank than brains that want the absolute best/only want Intel no matter the price. shows a good example of that.