If buttcoin crashes would you buy a miners second hand gpu?

If buttcoin crashes would you buy a miners second hand gpu?

Other urls found in this thread:

offshoreleaks.icij.org/nodes/82024464
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If it's cheap, sure. Worst thing that could happen is that it breaks a bit sooner than you expected.

Imagine all the graphics cards on Craigslist

Nope.

They probably ruined the graphics card by running it 24/7, anyway. It's best to hang them out to dry.

>They probably ruined the graphics card
There's literally nothing to ruin other than the fans bearings. A GPU is not a car you know.

Then why do a lot of components without mechanical parts fail within 5 years?

no, because i don't want a GPU with a worn out vrm that's gonna blow in less than a year.

Absolutely not. They torture these devices to death.

I bought an R9 290 from a miner when those got sold off in 2014. The housefire edition that runs at 95'c.

I've used it for 3 years and also mined on it myself, and it works great.

the entire VRM and other shit like the capacitors are rated to last a certain set of hours at a certain temperature (for example, 4000 hours at 105 C). that's only around 166 days of continued use, though granted the capacitors on GPU's aren't gonna hit 105 C ever (the VRM will though).

mining will wear them out like crazy, never buy that shit ever.

>Bought an ex-miner 280x about an year and a half ago
>Died after 3 months
What do you think?

Yeah. I used my 7970 to mine lite coins for nearly 2 years straight and that card still works just fine
One of the 2 fans stopped working and I used XFX's life time warranty, they sent me a new cooler with fans free of charge

they expand and contract with heat, but as far as I know, miners have their stuff on 24/7 and often undervolted if they can
the whole point is that if their cryptoshit crashed they should be able to sell their rigs to recover some of the loss, and most of the miners are not retarded normies, they know not to abuse their hardware just for that reason
or so I've been told

Do they? I never built a PC from all new components in my life. Only had one RAM unit fail on me. Of course I had a lot of hard disk failures but they were all bought new.

Many miner run their cards under volted for better coins/watt hours. Those cards should be okay.

They don't, I built my computer in early 2009 and aside from a WD Blue drive failing, everything still works great

See last paragraph of

Yes, as long as you

>Check that the fans are still working
>Disassemble the card & clean the heatsink
>Apply new thermal paste & pads

Ask the miner what coins they mined. Ethereum miners undervolt their cards, so those are safer than others.

Yes they do. I used to work at a consumer electronics store. Motherboard and GPU problems were incredibly common, RAM a little bit less so.

under volting isn't going to magically negate wear and tear. anything that is being used 24/7 for months or even years is going to be worn down. it's just delaying the breaking point.

my cards rarely survive the warranty period while working in 3d (AAA engines like UE4 tend to have the project running real-time 24/7 while you work so the GPU is always near full load). mining would be much worse.

stock nvidia PCB's are the worst, almost all of the original GTX 780's failed within 3 years (even the RMA failed later).

only go for 3rd party boards that use a custom VRM setup, they're often built to handle much bigger loads (to better handle the overclock they ship with, which i always undo) so they last longer.

Here's my used mining card, $400 pls. :>

in 20+ years the most common thing that i've seen break is the graphics card, most of the time within 3 years of purchase. on cheap pre-built computers the power supply is usually the first thing to go. motherboards are 2nd place, followed by mechanical drives and memory.

even saw a monitor go up in smoke, but i've never seen a CPU fail.

Undervolting negates heat and heat is the cause of wear and tear you brainlet

>under volting isn't going to magically negate wear and tear.
>less heat & voltage doesn't reduce wear

>mining is worse than 24/7 UE4 rendering

GPUs break because people never replace the thermal paste.

Most I've seen fail was hard drives by a landslide, followed by psu's. Graphics cards are about tied with MB's in 3rd place. Cpu's though, out of the thousands I've handled I only had 2 dead ones: a mobile Athlon and a desktop Celeron
>t.Worked at a repair shop for about 4 years

Nope. It's hard enough to RMA a brand new card if there's any problems, and I want the next gen GPUs.

>buying literal used goods
Oh wait we aren't talking about girls

I bought a GPU that was used for mining and it died within 6 months. Lesson of the story is don't buy mining GPUs.

No, unless it were ridiculously cheap, like I might buy a 1080 Ti for $200 if it appeared to be in decent shape too. I already have 2 1080s so I don't really feel a need to upgrade to anything that's on the current market so I'd only do it for a crazy good deal.

miners dont mine buttcoin you retard so no card would flood.

You don't, but if buttcoin crashes the plane there will be no survivors, pretty much every altcoin value goes in hand with buttcoin

>implying eth will fall with btc

Yes, I'm implying. You bet your ass it would crash as well.

ETH has completely converged with BTC. At this point they mirror each other at the 5-10 minute interval.

Both are being artificially pumped by magic make believe money.

>magic make believe money
Why do people keep calling the US dollar this? Did you just take an economics class and learn about fiat currency?

>USDT=/=USD
Day of the rope my cryptoshitter friend.

>>USD = USD
Haha sick Rick and Morty reference! WUB A DUB DUB DUB!

Tell me again how they make billions a week in transaction fees?

offshoreleaks.icij.org/nodes/82024464

Ur dumb af user.

eth miners getting paid in bitcoin

Yes, because that's exactly what happened the last time we had a buttcoin bubble. Oh wait, half of the card had dead VRMs

sure

Hiro's mining script would wear out a second hand GPU in a week.

Probably, but it all comes down to price.
If you can buy a $1000 component for $300 used and you instead buy at MSRP: you're a fucking retard.
The case for buying at $800 is harder to make, and mostly comes down to one's tolerance for risk and potential reward.
Say you could by a new 1080 for $650 or a used 1080TI for $650. That might be a risk worth taking.
It all comes down to what you can afford.

if i can get a 1080 Ti on the cheap, fuck yes!

This

>Friendly reminder that there's a very high chance a "undervolted mining cards are fine" user is actually a miner that will sell them in the future.

they are both make believe, and one of them is baked by the fake promise a debted country will be able to pay back the private banks

>second hand
user, don't you know they've only been opened just to check that they work?

You do realize that capacitors are nearly never run at their voltage and temperature limits? They are almost always derated, so capacitors that exceed the requirements are used to ensure reliability.

That just makes it sound stolen.

If it works and is cheap, I'll buy several and run it in SLI. As long as I can get 2 or 3 for the price of 1 new one

>MB

whats that?

a Motherboard

I looked up and it still said Sup Forums so I was confused. Then I remembered all the apple fags on here

yup, that's the state of Sup Forums today

Basic bitches with their smartphones.

The whole point is to have the rig pay for itself in a few months as possible so they can start turning a profit.

I'll give you 10 bucks, a condom that I've used but washed carefully and a stale chicken nugget.

>completely converged
What is shown is integral divergence

What separates panicking normies from people who are really into cryptos is that a normie wouldn't buy ASIC ever, since these things are basically worthless once they are surpassed. No resell value. Single use case.
A GPU is something that lets you to just panic at any moment and sell GPUs to non-miners to cut your losses, can't do so with ASICs.

Can't wait for people to realize it's a bubble.

People are using this bubble argument since the start of Bitcoin, but if a bubble lasts for this long there is no point in NOT profiting off it.

this desu

>buttcoins crash
>miners extremely buttmad
>craigslist, ebay, etc flooded with second hand GPUs
>miners forced to sell at below msrp
>mfw I'll finally be able to get an rx 580 8gb for under $200

what does that have to do with my post?
I said the retards using cards to mine have a goal to start making a profit and you dont do that by pussyfooting around with a governor.
even at full power it would take the better part of a year to pay off the cost of the machine and electric and then start actually making a profit.
Why would the prolong that just to preserve the value of a card for some other dipshit that might buy it later? they wouldnt.

this. cutthroat competition isn't just for corporations user.

I find it funny that the only times I've had issues with hardware like motherboards or PSU it always was a Dell/HP prebuild. I assume most people who built themselves can either diagnose it themselves or are too poor to pay someone to do a 5min checkup and charge them for 4 hours of work. Even with shit I owned, I've never had a shit tier motherboard or those chink but branded PSUs fail on me, unlike many Dells.

Only buy from ETH miners. Eth mining is a absurdly high difficulty process, and so those card don't even get hot since it's all vram based. My big worry would be miners lying about what they mined.

>I swear this year crypto is actually going to crash guys!!!!!!

no coiners on suicide watch.

Foresaw this might happen so bought some ETH in July as insurance against rising GPU costs. Roughly tracking to the meme-price of a 1080ti.

You have to push riddiculous voltage to get anywhere close to harming the CPU and in 99% cases it isn't the CPU that goes, it's some controller like memory or PCI-E that essentially kills it. I have Pentium 3 that was overclocked and last thing I remember on it was Mass Effect 1. It would still work if I had a working motherboard, damn mold got it.

Heat.
But come on. Surely these mining GPUs aren't exposed to excessive amounts of heat.

>memecoin is used as a decoy for getting money out of country
So even when it looks like the little man has finally won, it turns out he's merely a pawn again?

I trust the government to tell me that their money, the USD, is worth something, not nerds on the internet with their made-up coin bullshit.

This. I used 6 Gygabtyes HD 7950 during one year and half, all the GPU were bought used from unknown sources in september 2015 and none of them broke except one fan. I still use one of those GPU to this day and it works perfectly.
Aside from the fans, nothing is wore out because all the components run at the same temperature all year long. It's not the heat which can do damages but it's the rapid changes of temperature.
A gaymer will wear out his GPU way faster by constantly switching between full use and fill iddle state several times a day