Red-pill me on (((open-source))) software. I know this shit must have some drawbacks...

Red-pill me on (((open-source))) software. I know this shit must have some drawbacks. What kind of tricks are the developers using to make money off me?

Other urls found in this thread:

microsoft.com!
gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
vfxplatform.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

drawbacks: lack of integration with proprietary technology, lack of responsibility, lack of guarantees

Selling personal data. Just less and in different ways.

/thread

That's incorrect. You can leave.

Oh really now

Open source is a meme. It's being sold to normies a free software but nowadays mostly includes nonfree parts, botnet, drm or other crap.
At the end open source is working for free and then you get robbed by a company and you end up homeless.

Barely better than proprietary. You can look but you can't touch

>I know this shit must have some drawbacks.
Of course it does, here are the drawbacks:
It only exists if somebody with the skills and free time necessary can be bothered building it.
It's only maintained if somebody with the skills and free time necessary can be bothered repairing it.
It's usually less feature complete, with worse documentation and less stable than the paid alternative.

>What kind of tricks are the developers using to make money off me?
Mostly they aren't. I run an awful lot of open source software and never have I caught one so much as opening an analytics connection.

Developers can create software, or be paid to create software because someone wants to sell it, or because someone wants to use it.
In the latter case, the use of foss in that software could be a smart business decision. In the first case, the use of foss is not necessarily a dealbreaker.

Either it mindwashes you with its quality and non intrusive behaviour to donate some dollaridos or it does the same with companies so that they use it in their services

This confuses the wintoddler.

Open source software often assumes you have a brain which is a drawback for many.

Usually open source is just made by some autist with too much time on his hands.

More like lots of time to waste completing other people's bullshit

If it’s time you’re worried about, Windows with its forced update reboots and built-in ads that often fail will waste more of it.

It manipulates your brain subliminally, makes you feel better than others and finally it makes you contribute.

Not really, I'm running everything I need on windows 7. Never had to compile my own code, wonder if it's even compatible, or look up cryptic error messages at all.
>inb4 muh expiry date

It's shit.
That's the downside.

Or rather, it's not got a whole bunch of testers making sure it's usable, and if you have a feature you want added you can basically do fuck all about it other than add the feature yourself.

This. LOONIX is only cheaper it if your time is worthless.

Did you know that Windows actually has a LOWER total cost of ownership than LOONIX? Get the facts at microsoft.com!

Ask for genuine Microsoft software.

Open source isnt the same as free.

Free as in freedom not free beer.

enjoy your expiry date

Sorry but I'll keep using the extended support version for several more years like windows xp is being.

Its not very different from closed source, if the code sucks its gonna suck on both, but if its a popular program only the open source version will be improved.

haha wow you sure showed us expiry date posters

Won't happen before ms get their shit together.

Most people on Sup Forums immediately trust open source software, saying "if there's anything suspicious in it I'll know because the code is open source", but nobody ever looks at it.

Sup Forums descends further into retardation...

There are code reader bots that skim the code looking for suspicuous instructions.

The catch is that its not free software.

couldn't you rewrite and recompile?
I could literally download the fucking debian repo and run the touch command on it

>code reader bots that skim the code
Do you know any?

gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

Open source is generally great. You can even sell software that's licensed under the GPL, and the only stipulation that comes with that is you have to provide the source code to paying customer upon request, free of charge. But, you can charge them for the shipping and even the cost of the physical media you send it on, such as a CD or flash drive, or alternatively you can allow them access to one of your servers to download the source. This is basically what RedHat does. This prevents big companies from jewing you out of the source code and documentation, but still allows them to make a fair profit from their hard work, though most GPL software today is gratis. Having access to the source code also means that I can modify it and tweak it to my liking, or even remove malicious features that the original devs built in. It protects my rights as a user. Like if I go to the store and buy a candy bar with peanuts in it, nobody is stopping me from picking out the peanuts and enjoying my candy. But when a company denies me access to the source code of software I pay for (and yes, I pay for free software) they are jamming that candy bar down my throat, peanuts and all. And that really pisses me off. FOSS is also against SAAS (software as a service). If I buy one version of an OS, it should never expire on a date that some company decided on, just as my candy bar should not become poisonous if I don't pay $1 every month that goes by and I haven't eaten it. If I want another candy bar, I'll go to the store and buy another. It's that simple.

(1/2) I'm not quite done yet.

(2/2)

>I know this shit must have some drawbacks
The main drawback is that eventually retarded cunts come along to fuck up your project. You can never let people like Poettering in that are stupid SJWs and make insane shitware. bA lot of FOSS projects, especially operating systems, are hacked together pieces of shit because there is no unified development of the system by a single or even a handfull of teams. As a result, you get thousands of devs and teams and companies jamming hundreds of thousands of pieces of software into a big bloated ball of unoptimized shit, which is where you get something like modern Ubuntu. There are dozens of desktop environments and every single one of them is half baked trash. Even lower level stuff like systemd is a failure because it does too much and doesn't have sane defaults (see pic related). Open source done right is Haiku OS, but even that is struggling to get off the ground because of the small dev team and the lack of software, but it's getting better day by day.

Open Source sucks. Free Software is the good stuff.

Not necessarily, look at the VFX reference platform, which provided so that producers of proprietary software wind up writing software that is useful to professionals doing work. vfxplatform.com/ While not every entry is opensource, many are!

Open Source is the best option. Transparency without communism

Is it really capitalism if everything's free

depends on the licence

>It's usually less feature complete, with worse documentation and less stable than the paid alternative.
That's just bullshit.

MicroCuck tried creating an online platform which would serve as an encyclopedia. They hired top writers, and paid them a shit ton of money. Meanwhile, Wikipedia came along, and people worked for free, providing great articles, and MicroCuck's project failed.

People that do this shit for free are 100% passionate about it, and will provide the highest quality they can. The paid version is "top" people doing something for a paycheck.

>Wikipedia came along, and people worked for free, providing great articles
until the deletionists and power mods^Weditors won over
shit's stagnating and growing worse now

Thankfully linus doesn't accept shit from anybody.
At least the kernel stays clean of these freaks.

I don't like Pottering and niether does anyone on his github page but he's honestly not the worst of it.

There are exceptions, but generally speaking is right.

/thread