Ubuntu vs debian

Is ubuntu botnet? Is it spyware?

What about debian?

What other deb based os could I use that is ethical?

Other urls found in this thread:

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_jessie/sid_installation
gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The shitty ubuntu installer won't start up on my laptop so fuck ubuntu.

I love debian but ubuntu 17.10.1 is pretty good imo. It's a hell of a lot faster than it used to be and I just missed using ubuntu.

they're pretty much the same thing with debian holding on to older tested packages out of the box (if using stable)
and ubuntu trying a few new things but attempting to be more "new to linux" user oriented.

Debian is not spyware and it's the only distro that anyone needs, no matter if they are a ricer, freetard or a normie. Small distros with one maintainer should perish already. Let's just all go Debian.

You don't have to use systemd on Debian.

>Let's just all go Neon.
ftfy

How? I don't want to use that Devuan

I don't get the systemd hate. Except how they have to do everything different to be a special snowflake, and how it takes the microkernel idea and shits on it, and how it essentially split all linux help guides into two camps, and so on.

Yes Ubuntu is spyware. I'd go with Debian.

Ubuntu is Debian with more shit stacked on top, making it more error-prone.

General rule of thumb: don't use distros based on other distros. Are you thinking about using Ubuntu? Just use Debian instead. Manjaro? Just use Arch.

I use Xubuntu because XFCE > Unity

You can install XFCE on any distro.
>apt install xfce
Just use Debian.

>evaluating operating systems by their default DE
>the actual state of Sup Forums

The FSF on Ubuntu:
>Ubuntu provides specific repositories of nonfree software, and Canonical expressly promotes and recommends nonfree software under the Ubuntu name in some of their distribution channels. Ubuntu offers the option to install only free packages, which means it also offers the option to install nonfree packages too. In addition, the version of Linux, the kernel, included in Ubuntu contains firmware blobs.

>The “Ubuntu Software Center” lists proprietary programs and free programs jumbled together. It is hard to tell which ones are free since proprietary programs for download at no charge are labelled “free”.

>Ubuntu appears to permit commercial redistribution of exact copies with the trademarks; removal of the trademarks is required only for modified versions. That is an acceptable policy for trademarks. The same page, further down, makes a vague and ominous statement about “Ubuntu patents,” without giving enough details to show whether that constitutes aggression or not.

>That page spreads confusion by using the misleading term “intellectual property rights”, which falsely presumes that trademark law and patent law and several other laws belong in one single conceptual framework. Use of that term is harmful, without exception, so after making a reference to someone else's use of the term, we should always reject it. However, that is not a substantive issue about Ubuntu as a GNU/Linux distribution.

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_jessie/sid_installation

>offers the option
Oh god what a crime

why give a shit they all do the same thing. Choose what you like

I chose Ubuntu because retards at Debian didn't' compile compiz gtk-window-decorator with gtk3 support but moved metacity to gtk3 already. It is fucking retarded, because you only left with a ugly as hell and a single window decoration, with no ways to customize that unless you install compiz from a third party source. And, basically, gtk-window-decorator does little to absolutely nothing on Debian and there are also NO alternatives, they deleted the emerald packages too.

gnome debian is pure shit. even xubuntu is more native in daily use.

intuitive*

>Is ubuntu botnet? Is it spyware?
no is not you dumbfuck
>What about debian?
is good
>What other deb based os could I use that is ethical?
ethical for who? stallman? look here gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
otherwise just install ubuntu 16.04 if you need unethical gpu drivers

debian minimal with i3 is all anyone needs
>tfw system uses 70MB at idle

you mean no gui ver?

>GNOME is pure shit
FTFY

i3 is a GUI

Why isn't Debian FSF approved?

>gnome debia
>gnome
well there's your problem, m80

>The i3 Window Manager (i3wm), not to be confused with the Intel processor or i386 architecture

sorry, my mistake

but if something is broken you'll need to fix it yourself because packages in the debian repos are not required to work without systemd

Because they have an optional nonfree repo.
That's literally it. If they got rid of nonfree, they would be approved.