/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=rL0_vOw6eCc

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

watchsleuth.com/seikochronofinder/search/?MOD=SSB031
watchsleuth.com/seikochronofinder/search/?MOD=SSB033
watchsleuth.com/seikochronofinder/search/?MOD=SSC007
watchsleuth.com/seikochronofinder/search/?MOD=SND253
timex.com/scout-brook/TW2R53100LG.html
seiyajapan.com/collections/seiko/products/seiko-automatic-presage-sarx041
c-watch.co.jp/ww/sarw025.html
seiyajapan.com/collections/seiko/products/seiko-automatic-presage-sary085-made-in-japan
imgur.com/a/kqSJa
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>All right user, you figured me out, I've been doing it just for you.
No need to go quite that far, though I am waiting with baited breath to see how that 45KS does.

> baited breath
Is this the greatest... bait?

Just got this. wish it had more weight to it.

Any solar, radio analog watches out there I should consider?

So how's translating the observatory methodology going, so I can test it and let you know how it does?

Poorly, but I'll try and get back to it next week. Worst case scenario I'll just pay to have it translated professionally.

cool, thanks. Like I said, I plan to start that in either late February or late March, depending on what happens with my travel schedule.

How do Orient mechanicals compare to Seikos?

man on the FUCKING mooon

My Orient came from the factory shockingly accurate. Their fit and finish isn't typically to my taste and I wouldn't expect it to hold up to a seiko of comparable price, but their low-end movements are excellent value.

hi /wt/

help me choose my next purchase

I'm in a mood for a sportsy/pilot-ey affordable chrono, something styled after the flightmaster or the speedy
my wrist is slightly under 7inches, so I need to exclude anything wider than 42mm and thicker than 12mm

being budget-constrained I would avoid mechanical calibers
mecha-quartz are tempting, solar are welcome too

what are your opinions on these?
watchsleuth.com/seikochronofinder/search/?MOD=SSB031
watchsleuth.com/seikochronofinder/search/?MOD=SSB033
watchsleuth.com/seikochronofinder/search/?MOD=SSC007
watchsleuth.com/seikochronofinder/search/?MOD=SND253

Definitely check out the Casio Oceanus OCW-S100 models.

You could consider a non ana-digi Waveceptor such as the Casio Lineage Liw-t100td

I found a nice solar seiko chrono but the windy knob is sub par :(

This reminds me. Just today some detectives came into the store asking if anyone came to us trying to sell some specific jewelry (stolen I assume). One of them was a Ferrari watch, that's supposedly super fucking expensive and unique, signed by the Ferrari president. The coppers didn't tell me how much it's worth, but one of them made a remark that "they're likely stupid enough to sell it as low as $800-$1200".

What the fuck is this watch? Any idea? Is there really a Ferrari watch that's not some overpriced mall garbage?

Today was F-14 day btw.

they are all shitters but its a custom vostok, a luch with a 2209 movement, a vostok precision class 2809 watch, and a top grade 2824 watch. I mean i am a broke student sorry i dont have an F.P. Journe yet.

Are you certain it's a Ferrari brand watch, and not just a watch borrowing the Ferrari branding? Hublot has made a number of watches with the Ferrari name on them. I'm not aware of any unique pieces, but this one was a limited run 50 for $300k, for example.

i love how simple this watch is

I don't know, they didn't tell me anything about it. It MAY be a Hublot Ferrari, but I think it might also be the owner running a scam over a $500 quartz shitter with a laser-etched signature of the Ferrari president.

The worst thing about those Toninos is that they're not even really connected to the Lamborghini car company, it's just one of the sons running his own company and pretending it has anything to do with the cars.

>What the fuck is this watch? Any idea? Is there really a Ferrari watch that's not some overpriced mall garbage?

Absolutely. There are two kinds of Ferrari watches. The first is what you're probably thinking of, Ferrari-branded watches that are sold to plebs at Ferrari mall stores or whatever. The other kind are real watches that are done as collaborations with established watchmakers, including Panerai,
Girard-Perregaux, and most prolifically Hublot, who make this $250k monstrosity along with other more "normal" (Still 10k+) models. You won't find these in Ferrari stores, in fact I believe many of them are only offered to registered Ferrari owners and sometimes even only to owners of specific Ferrari models.

>and sometimes even only to owners of specific Ferrari models.

In fact here's one of those, a Hublot that was only sold to 250 GTO owners - a car, mind you, of which only 39 examples exist and which sells for 30-50 million on the rare occasions when one changes hands. No clue why Hublot made such a tacky watch to commemorate such a beautiful classic car, but I'm often befuddled by the apparent tastes of the ultra rich.

The one I saw wasn't even remotely tasteful like the one posted last thread, it was a gaudy gold triangular one with an open heart. And even though the guy must've been 65-70 he wore it loose and down on his wrist so it hung on his sleeve and stayed visible. I bet he thought he looked like a badass

Last thread was nice, this one is too so far.
I wore a watch matching my outfit today :3

a lot less boring than most seiko's around its price point though

t. alpenis owner (before someone spergs out that i insulted a Seiko)

Agreed. Basically illegible though in the dark (especially in the green/blue/purple area)

wearing my alpenis today

I have a Timex Expedition Scout 40 (pic) that I like the look of well enough, but the “wobble” whenever the second hand ticks is starting to annoy me. Does anyone happen to know if these use a better quartz movement: timex.com/scout-brook/TW2R53100LG.html

Unfortunately, it seems most of Timex's quartz movements have gotten shittier and shittier over the years.

>I'm often befuddled by the apparent tastes of the ultra rich

variety, my man. the kind of rich guy that drops 30 million on a car already owns a watch or three for every possible occasion, so he looks for "different".

Is this a bad purchase?
seiyajapan.com/collections/seiko/products/seiko-automatic-presage-sarx041

The last thread was excellent. Beautiful dial user!

>seiyajapan.com/collections/seiko/products/seiko-automatic-presage-sarx041
that red 12 that dial... why

I'm not a fan of that particular dial but the SARX series are really good watches for their price. You can get a better deal from Chino than Seiya though.
c-watch.co.jp/ww/sarw025.html

>that red
homage to the first seiko watch

l
jesus fuck what are you people doing. This one is not bad
seiyajapan.com/collections/seiko/products/seiko-automatic-presage-sary085-made-in-japan

>seiyajapan.com/collections/seiko/products/seiko-automatic-presage-sary085-made-in-japan
Sold out

ok but it looks bad?

40.5mm kek

Hi friends. Thoughts on Nixon?

Would Archie castrate me for buying this?

If that one is so bad, anyone else have suggestions for a light faced minimalist watch? Thinking bauhaus / simple. Numerals is a plus but not needed. Automatic for sure

Is this all just shitposting? This thread is full of all the ugliest shitters on earth. The last thread was fantastic and now the fucking faggots all wake up? Are you all serious?
Just stop

Who else is stoked for this beast?

None of these soyboy, pencil neck fag watches. This watch screams goddamned alpha male. Bitches will flock and soyboys will cower.

OH LOOK GUYS ANOTHER SHITTER IN THE WORST WT THREAD EVER.

Nice b8

If you really like the one you posted then buy it. It's not a bad watch, it's actually a very good and reliable watch for the price. I just personally don't like the look of the dial is all.

What is the quick run down on vintage omegas? Kabaclyde restock

imgur.com/a/kqSJa

Is there one in particular you're asking about?

Anyone know where I can buy an SNZG in the UK? I can't find one anywhere except ebay

No, it looks classic you uncultured fuck.

They're not wrong.

I'm kind of into G-Shocks but that one isn't for me. I would never use even half of it's features and it would go to waste on me.

The first one in the second pic

You think that watch dial looks classic and that other person is uncultured? Are you fucking mad?

The redial is pretty bad. It's quite small; be sure you're happy wearing a 32.3mm diameter. The cal 625 is fine. It was mainly used in ladies watches, given its small size - you can see in Kabaclyde's picture of the guts that the case is oversized for the movement.

To repeat my usual advice on vintage watches: When considering buying vintage watches it is incumbent upon you to learn enough about the model(s) you are interested in to be able to judge originality, condition and value for yourself or you are almost certain to end up getting ripped off. Also of course keep in mind that any vintage watch you buy is almost certain to need a service as soon as you get it, and so plan on locating an independent watchmaker you would trust to do the work prior to purchase.

I'd say the most interesting pieces are the cal 1012 breguet numerals (1.6) and the linen dial constellations.

No, but apparently you've never seen a fucking pocketwatch before, you uncultured fuck.

Oh yeah besides the one i own you tasteless nip loving faggot.

Amazing, you must be even more retarded than I originally thought.

At least i don't think this is attractive

Who the fuck thought anything about that dial was a good idea?

no no no no user you see a seiko had a red number before so even though this looks like actual horse feces it is "historical" and you are a pleb you see?

I never said it was attractive, I said the red fucking 12 was classic, you uncultured fuck.

that's a cool lookin watch
do the colors move around?

I feel like its gonna take a watch by Christ to get me to ditch my F-91W

You keep using the word uncultured for seemingly no reason and none of your rainting is explaining why they would make an ugly watch dial.

I think it's nice

that watch is very #aesthetic

The hour hand (which is really a rotating dial with an aperture in it) changes color; the color of each individual hour index remains fixed.

Here is the superior presage, goys

that is much better.

Is $20 a good deal for old stock?

Linen dial > enamel dial, imo.

I'm sorry, I assumed you weren't fucking blind as well, perhaps check the picture in my last post.

gtfo newfags

why watches with shitton of useless features seem to sell well?

divers watch
pilot
every single timezone in the world

like what ever happened to a basic watch with a second hand, and a date.

no useless features, or dials

>unidirectional rotating bezel
>useless
Speak for yourself.

it doesnt look that bad desu

>$2,000 fidget spinner

>like what ever happened to a basic watch with a second hand, and a date.
There are plenty of watches out there like that. You just must not be looking hard enough.

I'm referring to what almost everyone posts here. diver watches, or even worse, fake diver watches

Here's something different.

>I'm referring to what almost everyone posts here. diver watches, or even worse, fake diver watches

Why would you want a watch with all that cluttering up the face?

Is it a bad idea to buy an Intra-matic? Anyone here have one?

Here ya go

If you don't mind the absence of a second hand, then it's a really good idea to buy an Intra-Matic as its probably the best price to quality ratio in the entire Swatch Group.

As long as it's the 38mm one it's fine.

Didn't expect it to be that well received, thought you people hated Hamilton. Thanks for the info

The intra-matic is one of the few that's a decent buy considering it has an ETA 2892 in it. The $500 khakis with the shifted over 15 (due to the date window) usually get mocked.

Yeah, must be the 38mm version of course.

I rant about that Intra-Matic regularly, but not because I have an issue with that model itself, but rather it annoys the shit out of me that The Swatch Group allowed the ETA 2892-A2--which in my opinion is a MUCH better movement than the 2824-2--to be used in the Intra-Matic only because that model doesn't have a second hand, where normally they would never allow that movement to be used in a sub-$2,000+ Swatch Group brand model for the sake of the artificial market segmentation they create between the 2824-2 and the 2892-A2 even though they could virtually the same amount of money to make.

Basically, the Intra-Matic is a good deal, and most of the rest of the Hamilton line-up would also instantly become a good deal if they used the 2892-A2 in the rest of them, but they never will, because they are greedy mountain jews that want to market segment ever penny out of every potential customer.

Why do they even make a 42mm? Is this all really because of fashion trends or is it because everyone is fatter

>because of fashion trends or is it because everyone is fatter
Both. Hopefully the huge tier watch trend dies out sooner than later.

I don't mind too much, there's enough awesome smaller vintage stuff to enjoy for now.

Tell me more about it. What features does it bring?

I literally cannot tell the difference between /r/Watches and /r/WatchesCirclejerk

Fine, here's my shitter.