Hey Sup Forums, a friend of my father hired me to make his company website. I could've refused but he's paying me 4k

Hey Sup Forums, a friend of my father hired me to make his company website. I could've refused but he's paying me 4k.

It turns out his company has become a lot bigger recently so he's promised a bigger payout once the site is online and ready.

The deadline is August, and I know jack-shit about web dev. I just bought the domain name from Google domains and I don't even know how to connect the DNS. I programmed some simple stuff in C++ and Python, but this is a whole new beast for me.

What are the best tutorials/books on web dev that will help me make at least a functional site by mid-2018?

Thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

books.goalkicker.com/all.zip
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

start by reading SICP

Well, your father's friend is getting what he's paying for, that's for sure.

wix.com

Just what kind of website does it need to be? Just home page, some contacts and info?
Pay some Ukranians or Belarus 500 to make it for you, then keep 3500

what are the requirements?

In all seriousness I would just go with PHP for this one cuz if you're new you're gonna be on stackoverflow a lot, so might as well choose something many people can help you with.

I've thought about that

It's an accounting site homepage for the business with the contact us, services, business hours etc which sounded simple enough to me. Problem is he wants me to implement a forum/chat part for the customers to talk with staff or some shit like that. I would've refused to do that if he wasn't so insistent on it.

I don't want to follow a random tutorial and get memed on the security, then blamed and/or sued for that shit

I'm sure you can find something on github or someshit with a chat thing like that, at least third worlders would, if not they'd just slap googles api all over the place like they always do

Oh yeah those chatbox things are irritating. The ones that ping you and pop up? Tell him that a forum is far preferable because it's searchable and users can find their own answers a lot of the time

Take anything you want from here.
Thank me later

books.goalkicker.com/all.zip

Install gentoo, then log into your domain and change the A records to redirect to your websites IP. How are you hosting? Vps? Apache web server?

lol get fucked

At this point I think AWS is looking like a good option

It’s expensive, but okay. Should take about an hr for the dns to update once you’ve changed the records

lmao fucked

Want to collab? Split the pay with me, I'll make the whole fucking thing.

>Oh yeah those chatbox things are irritating.
Literally easy as fuck with socket.io/express.js

I can make that feature in 20 minutes. This was me, OP. Still interested?

Just look up some python tutorials, django and sutff like that.

JUST USE FUCKING SQUARESPACE ALREADY

this. I made the chatbox thing in some tutorial from 2 years ago in like an hour.

Stop recommending him site builders. If he actually learns how to do it properly he can do do feature requests or "maintenance" in the future and make hundreds pressing a couple buttons.

if we're still on the topic of web dev for money, Im in a similar situation but with more experience. My client wants a cars.com clone with a potential premium account system. Whats the best way to do this?
I have experience with Azure/ASP.NET/C# stack and some PHP only. I could pick up anything since I have like 4 months to do it. I'm looking at Google's Firebase right now, any suggestions?

Sounds easy. You could do a nice custom responsive good looking site in some weeks if you had the skills... Literally free money.

He can still do maintenance if he uses an open source site builder. The big problem with starting from the ground is the lack of knowledge of security. Let's say he does read a couple books and builds a site, why live with the stress of knowing any day someone can break through the shitty wall he made and put a gif of Terry Davis saying cia nigger.

If you know python then maybe you could try making it with flask or django? Never done web dev but that's what I would try.

Definitely don't program the forum or chat yourself, it's a waste of time. It's ok to do the static parts of the site yourself, but why not just use a decent static site generator and add a chat plugin or forum or something on top of it.

It takes zero time to do that.

This
Site builders are fine as long as you find one that doesn't have there shitty logo on the bottom so you get the money and site "maintenance" will be even easier

The problem is he has less job security since you can get any 15 year old to maintain a squarspace/wix site.

No smart dev builds anything from the ground up these days. Just use a framework like Laravel or CMS like Drupal. These platforms have basic security like SQL injections covered and it gives him the potential to expand the site with greater flexibility and make more money in the long run. My 2cents anyways

Yeah that's what I mean something with that much flexibility and not needing too much experience besides learning what you need to know is perfect. The fucking business should have just made a Squarespace instead of paying op.

These are the types of companies I love to find because most see a website as a foreign thing to put money into and don't have any grasp of the technology behind it.

It's great that they didn't hire someone internally to build a squarespace because now OP can capitalize on this.

Since no ones said anything about this so far I recommend being smart about this and drafting up a contract so then can't fuck you, OP. I know it's your dad's friend but shit happens and money is money. Make sure it has rigid completion criteria as well as a timeline that you can hold them to.

There's services like waveapps where you can manage financials and invoice them as well.