Officially Sup Forums Router Thread

>2018
>not managing your router responsibly

1) What model router do you have?
2) What firmware do you use? Is it up to date?
3) Have you considered business-grade routing?

Daily reminder that DDWRT is shit and you should be using LEDE or Gargoyle for stability and speed.

Hourly reminder that Tomato is dead and you should move to a non-dead firmware.

What's wrong with DD-WRT?

RB951G-2HnD

RouterOS 6.41

>1) What model router do you have?
>2) What firmware do you use? Is it up to date?
I'm not telling that

So I have a FiOS package that’s officially fast enough it requires a direct connection to the ONT. Frontier gave me their latest router, the Arris NVG468MQ. I’m guessing nothing can be done in the way of custom firmware. I am having a big problem, particularly noticeable from my mobile phone whenever it’s connected. Images sometimes half load, pages including Sup Forums sometimes even stall. Since I have a decent torrent operation running here, could it be that my router is flooding? Never has this issue with the Actiontec, but then again that wasn’t 5 GHz dual band either. I just don’t know what’s happening, where switching to LTE is almost better than using my own network.

So two questions, can I improve the peer settings or something like that, and are there any aftermarket routers that could actually be a real upgrade in my situation? I’m considering something like the Ubiquiti Edgerouter X. What routers handle peer connection torrent spam best?

I'm still using a netgear router from 2007. How fucked am I? Should I get more proxies?

>2018
>putting your AP in the router
I seriously hope you guys don't do this.

Pf-sense with xeon x3430 connected to some shitty server in Albina use a vpn server.

>DD-WRT
Does anyone really use that? OpenWRT is where it's at, and has been for many years.

Just got this.

dididogood?

So how do external APs work. You just use one per ethernet port as desired and set them up wherever? Get an unmanaged switch if you run out of ports?

I'm forced to use it with an Asus RT-N12. LEDE is too big for the device.

yeah just plug it up anywhere, an AP is almost a wireless switch in a sense. if you use ubiquiti APs you can manage them all from a central server, but i've found that a single well placed AP can service an entire house

Best affordable Router+(external)AP Combo ?

I'm using a WRT3200ACM with stock firmware as dumb AP mode. My actual edge device is a pfSense box.

i still have the original firmware from 06. should i bother updating it ? i dont wanna risk bricking my router if its not gonna do anything. currently having some connection issues but i am pretty sure its on my ISPs end.

Oh shit I have that fucking router

1) shitty old dell, i3, 4 gb, 2 laptop hardrives in a geom mirror
2) pfSense 2.4
3) pfSense is enterprise

Also netgear nighthawk in AP mode. Sotck
Firmware. No alternative firmware for the specific model.

what's the need for a router? I just use an all in one from my ISP that I rent month2month.

That way I don't have to worry about complicated network stuff.

I've got a fortiwifi 50e. It's overkill for my tiny network.

Fritzbox lmao

If copying files over a network, would the Ubiquiti ERX be any faster than the Lite? Given only the X is a switch, and I have no idea if that boosts computer to computer transfers.

Is it your own vps or a vpn service?

>1) What model router do you have?
Mi router 3g

>2) What firmware do you use? Is it up to date?
OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r5903-a319806
Snapshot is about a week old.

1) What model router do you have?
>pfsense running in esxi
>1 core of an e5-2620v4, 2gb ram. 10gbe to my core switch, 1gbps wan symetric

2) What firmware do you use? Is it up to date?
>yes, and my switches and ap's are too

3) Have you considered business-grade routing?
>see 1 and 2

I bought an archer AC1750 because of you, Sup Forums. It's the v4 so LEDE/openwrt is just a snapshot, but it works. I already took care of the bufferbloat. The 5GHz network might need some more attention. Also fuck my ISP for selling me """150Mbps""" down but delivering less than 30Mbps, even during the day.

What are you using to measure the 150mbps? Surely not the wifi?

Also make sure you're using Cake and piece of cake for the SQM. It's possible to run into a CPU bottleneck with that router with SQM on a 150mbps connection. Check the routers CPU load log graphs after a day or two.

I measured the 30mbps on wired. On wifi I'm down to 10-20. I'm using cake and piece of cake. I will check the logs tomorrow. Thank you for the suggestion.

>48 port router
>2 ports used
kill yourself please. you could get a 4port gigabit switch for $20 and your performance would be exactly the same. pure autism.

two wrt54g with tomato firmware

A switch is basically required for a home network with two PCs, correct?

> Tomato is dead and you should move to a non-dead firmware.
Which means it's OK for another 5 years.

I think it's stolen from user's work

yeah so i'm planning to get a mobo with two Intel ethernet ports and i'm going to run pfsense on it

what are some good switches to run with pfsense? i have around 8 devices in my house

a switch is used to let go off the strain it causes on your router's cpu so that it can focus on layer 3 activities more efficiently without worrying about layer 2

I found a 24 port in the IT dumpster once.

Still running a shitty Linksys E1550 I got at a thrift store for $5. Will upgrade when my shithole city gets internet faster than 100mbps.

Source? Who is this semen demon?

but is it even safe to grab one? can't a switch be maliciously infected by someone if they wanted?

I mean unless your threat model includes people with enough technical skill to replicate the NSA's tools from the Snowden leaks.
Otherwise, go dumpster diving to your heart's content.

all you do is plug the switch to the port to the router and the devices to the switch right?

i might grab one from the IT department in my uni when no one's around

I suppose if it's managed, sure. One takes risks. Know your location an whatnot.

Yeah, it can be as simple as that. If it's a managed switch, then you can have more complexity layered on it, like VLAN tagging. If you don't need any of that or know what it is. The default should work just fine. Obviously depends on the switch though and if the person who threw it out knew to wipe their configuration beforehand. Otherwise just go hunting down how to factory reset the thing.

i'm aware of what vlan is, but i don't really understand why anyone would want to have vlans in a home

i can see one advantage of having vlans in a home and that's when you have a storage server or whatever and you don't want guests or other people in the house to have access to it

Any actual network engineers here?
I'm building some routing config software, and I'm not sure whether I should implement RESTCONF or just my own API.
I mean, YANG and everything around it is nice but it seems that pretty much no one is implementing it

In a home setting, yeah that's pretty much it. Especially if you want a guest wifi network that you don't want seeing things in the main network.

It's also good if you're practicing for any network certs. Otherwise just flat network to keep things simple for any family that's also using it and things break.

reverse image search

FYI there are lots of nudes.

soo any answers for this or is OP meming?

hostapd