Is it true Europeans don't work when they are in high school?

Is it true Europeans don't work when they are in high school?

I worked as a waiter for a bit and my senior year I worked retail at Walgreens

Nope and they don't have to tip.

yes tis true

Education is free in Yurop

High school is free

Uni level is also free in most countries

Because you should study in a high school? You know, you have to do shitonnes of homework, and study every day from 9:00 to 17-18:00, it's not exactly good conditions for work somewhere.

P.S. Of course I refer to top- and decent tier universities in Russia, in shit-tier ones you can easily work full-time job and then pay for all exams. In normal unis you also will probably work a part time in a last year or two, but most of students work better jobs than waiter.

High School is free and compulsory in the US as well, most High Schooler jobs are there for "building character" or "making connections".

Fuck off

I've only met Portuguese, Germans and Swedes.
All of them started working really late but had doctorate/master's degrees and shit.

I used to have a German manager that started working at age 30, i don't think that's the norm though, at least from what he said.

>work when they are in high school?
You shouldn't have to get a job until you're 18 unless you're dirt-poor. pay rates for under-18s are pisspoor to encourage kids to stay in school.

Worked as a tele boy doing when i was 15, did a couple other odd jobs here and there
Didnt get a proper job till i turned 18
Tbqh most European workplaces wont hire you unless you're 16, by which time you're about to hit A-levels which are hard enough so most students dont bother trying to do both

I worked a summer job in july last 3y of high school, most people I know had a summer jobs

Why are americans so obsessed by work?

This; most high schoolers working a job are trying to build work ethic, and most jobs never pay a minimum wage.

*pay more than

protestant work ethic or just wage cuckold r you

Just summer jobs

>implying the two don't go hand in hand

this, i do know some start working during weekends and such when doing uni though.
Gotta pay the student apartment and party without going into debt you know.

typical high school hours in France: 8:00 to 17:00 / 18:00 + homework after that

you don't have "free time" to work

some work on summer jobs during holidays, though

This + you can't work legally until you're 16yo. It's worth mentionning that we can't get a driving license until 18yo which makes it hard to find a job anyway

I worked when I was 14. bought video games with the money.

>we can't get a driving license until 18yo
Is there any permit process leading up to the license? Here, in Illinois, you can get a permit at 16 and must get 50 hours of experience with that permit before taking the driving test.

>Is there any permit process leading up to the license?
There is - "conduite accompagnée".
You have to be 15+, get 20 hours of driving lessons, and then you need to drive at least 3000 km in a year with one of your relatives.
This allows you to try and get the license at 17 yo and a half, but you still need to wait until you're 18 to drive alone.

We have to first take a theorical test, the minimal age required for this is 16 yo, then we have the choice between "supervised learning", 20hours with a monitor and then practicing with parents for a certain number of km, or just take lessons with a monitor for 20h minimum ( most people take around 30h) but we can't drive alone until 18yo

What is that in American time?

At HS I would get there around 7, class starts at 7:20 and would end at 2:12

a day has 24 hours
you do the math

>3000 km
That's around 1,850 miles, which is around 5 miles a day. That requires some comitment.

Ah, there's a classroom portion about learning the rules of the road here as well.

>That requires some comitment
I haven't had my license with supervised driving, but from what I've heard you only have to declare on your honour that you've actually driven those 3000 km.
Also, you can drive some long trips to make up for the times you haven't used your car, like when you go on vacation.

Tbh the way you guys get your licence easily is seen as a joke over here. But our system is too harsh too.

Do you guys take this license with automatic cars ?

Here in NJ you can get your permit at 16, you need 6 hours of practice before you get it in 2 hour sessions and you have to take a test and get 80% or more, then you need to wait 6 months until you get your license, which you have to be 17 to get

Everything is identical in California, except you can get a permit at 15-and-a-half, and you can get your license at 16.

I started working the summer before highschool started, needed weed money

Driving is pretty much mandatory in the US so our systems can be only so rigorous. And the 50 hours can easily be fudged as well.

Yes, most if not all states have their licenses apply for both manuals and automatics, although there is a separate license for buses and trucks.

I started working at 14. Maintained a +95% average in high school while working about 30hrs a week and volunteering.

Doesn't mean anything because I had a mental breakdown when I stared uni and only recently started rejoining civilization. The shame in failing all those around me that had high hopes for me doesn't really get to me more (i drink a lot too).