What's a computer?

>what's a computer?

why does apple want to phase out the standard desktop/laptop?

what's their endgame?

general purpose computing is inconvenient for the powers that be, plus the future 90 IQ raceless underclass won't need it

Because normies don't want to carry a big ass laptop with a screwed-on keyboard when they can just use a lighter, cheaper tablet that does everything they need it to

Laptops and desktops are the domain of neckbeards now

>plus the future 90 IQ raceless underclass won't need it

>90 IQ raceless underclass
Literally proles

They want everything as SaaS, where they'll control it all.

Because tim cook is a nigger.

Steve jobs kept the company nice, after him, there are a lot of retardations. Only ipod now is a touch one. There will be that Ihome shit, etc.

Also, that ipad pro ad was utter bullshit.

>what's their endgame?
making the new generations stupid

This is kinda true to be honest, Jobs at least had the products in mind when he marketed them. Cook just have the markets in mind.

I think what some people miss about this, and the outrage that should be had, is not about the gender of the he/she/them/zir/it in the ad, but the fact that this basically outright shows Apple's mindset, their deception, and their opposition to software and hardware freedom, which is at this point, essentially active.

In this ad, they highlight this child saying "what's a computer?" as if this is a positive development. It is not. This combined with the focus on the pretty frontends and swipey motions further goes to show: Apple REALLY does not want its users to know what's going on behind the scenes, or even think about it. With this move, they are actively promoting ignorance and tech illiteracy. They don't respect your freedoms, they don't want users to be informed. They don't want anyone to see what's going on on a lower level. A direct opposite to the Free Software movement, which promotes the ability for the user to be able to study, change, and/or freely redistribute the software, and in many cases even firmware, of their devices. Apple is saying "oh don't worry about what's going on behind the scenes! Just press these pretty little buttons and ignore the fact that you're using a locked down, proprietary system, and that we were involved in prism only a few years back"

>Angroid Loogles don’t realise Google and Microsoft want the exactly same future
>hurrdurr let’s pick on Apple

>install ad blocker on Android
>get most apps from F-Droid, only a couple ad free ones from Play Store
>use Firefox + DDG rather than Chrome
If even 10% of Android's userbase did this, Google would be hemmorhaging money.

they should have left in the cussing part of the song.

Good for Google that less than 1% of you do

Apple's management is seriously fucked up. On one hand, the VP of Software Engineering says that he sees MacBooks continuing for at least 25 years, on the other hand, the CEO rhetorically asks who would want a MacBook when they can get an iPad Pro. It's obvious that there's some sort of struggle for power inside Apple over whether they should continue making traditional computers or not.

dude you are obbsessed with her

u sound like a Sup Forums fag

Please stop shilling for Apple.

>They want everything as SaaS

Fuck I hate this SaaS trend. How.. grrr.. it is the same with society in general. Instead of power going to individuals, it is all about corporations. Why couldn't we all have our own email servers, our own file servers with maybe some way to replicate with friends etc. Instead.. it is... I think normies, it is the normies fault. They just want the "easy" thing, with no idea of the long-term consequences.

This thread hasn't been too bad.
Many of your guys have some compelling ideas but many you are needlessly salty at completely innocuous and remote things.
My initial ideas was that yes Apple wants SaaS. They want a (collection of) general purpose physical product(s) that is closely coupled with your body and which you are both reliant on and care about developments in the field of. They want all software and computation to be cloudbased where physically possible so that subscriptions to those can be simplified, can be consistent, protected from freak accident, and predictable, and can be hiked in price only a weekly basis to suit inflation perfectly. Imagine a future with extremely volatile primary currencies (think bitcoin or any nation in economic turmoil which might be common in a world where physical borders and resources are less-relevant) - you wouldn't want users to be able to hesitate from making purchases nor would you wanna miss out on a timely penny. They (yes) want their users to never have to consider these fluctuating (when experienced, complex) factors.
What do you think?

You don't understand how IQ works.

>SaaS
what the fuck does this mean
service as a service?

Yeah. Everyone in any kind of tech industry knows the acronym, usually as a consumer. Why are you enraged?

Software as a service

On the bright side, tablets and mobile phones are speeding up the process of all software being crossplatform by design

I'm not enraged, I'm just mildly flustered by people using acronyms that I don't immediately understand
Thank you good sir

They try to push the idea that normalfags don't need x86 processor, which they in all honesty don't. People who want to play Dota or League wouldn't bother with a Mac in the first place. You can still pair ARM CPU with desktop GPUs for graphics work, provided you have the drivers, somethings Nvidia would suck dick to provide, given how they've been trying to push their Shield shit with what is essentially a laptop 940MX or whatever. I wouldn't mind seeing a powerful ARM desktop equivalent with like 92 cores or somethings.

Richard? ...is that you???

corporate slavery

Stopping laptop production would be so fucking retarded. A lot of people use their memebooks.

I would fuck it. ! Sup Forums
Well, endgame? there is no end, just data min.

Hosting mailservers at home died with WinXP. So many zombie spam bots appeared that ISPs just blackholed 25 outbound.

Turning computing devices into consumer electronics, which is what Jobs started when they changed their name from Apple Computers to Apple Inc.

Wasn't Jobs trying to simplify computing and bring it as close to the average normie as possible, while he would be making bank on selling that?

Today's Apple remained stuck in that same vision, they don't have anything new, really. They just try to remove any trace of technical competence from using a technology. In their view, everyone should be able to use any technology, everything should be dumbed down as much as possible and turned into an aluminium slab with rounded edges and white plastic peripherals and dongles.

Make everything simpler and colourful for the average dumbfuck. "Revolushonary!"

The future Apple wants is one where the masses use their tablets to consume content and view ads. Traditional computers will be seen as expensive, unnecessary, and for the snobby elite. The cool, mobile, forward-thinkkng progressives of tomorrow won't be tied down by the corporate thinking of the past.

Buy Apple products.

He's not wrong.

How is this thing different from a surface pro, which has been on the market for years now.

Their endgame is simple as fuck. They want to sell more devices, and locked down devices that aren't user-serviceable or user-upgradeable force people to buy new devices on a predictable 2-3 year cycle. Why does Sup Forums act like this is some kind of mystery. Apple does this because they flagrantly don't give a fuck, and the average normies doesn't mind because the less time spent worrying about how to get their Facebook, Reddit, and Netflix machined working, the better.

>People buying their devices to actually improve their lives instead of installing some autistic Linux distro to run away from "le botnet" all their lives, is somehow a bad thing.
They use devices to make life easier, you do it as a hobby.

SaaS gets around all the FOSS and pirating of proprietary software you'd run on your computer. The software developers host the application and all the good bits of it, while hiding the source code from you entirely. It's a popular business trend because it allows you to charge the customer a ton of money and never tell them what they are actually paying for in the backend.

>why does apple want to phase out the standard desktop/laptop?

Desktop users don't tolerate adware, programs with no features or options, having to log into a cloud account to do anything, or not being in control of what programs or data they can use

mobilefags do tolerate that

those things are profitable

therefore they prefer mobilefags and their gullible, inferior paradigms

It’s amazing how many times this thread comes up and the obtuse autism in them.

Are you so disconnected from the world to think that Sup Forums represents even a small percentage of consumers? Even the top engineers at top tech companies don’t think the way Sup Forums users do.

Your average person uses a computer to browse the web, use social media, and send emails. That’s basically it.

This argument that Apple is making the world computer illiterate is stupid too. Apple is sponsoring coding programs in high schools and Tim Cook goes on about how everyone should be learning programming.

As for this ad that’s gets Sup Forums so ass-blasted; its an ad. It’s made to sell the iPad. The message is crystal clear. The iPad is the new normal in the future for kids. No one says computer anymore. People just say iPad. Because its so good and so popular that’s what everyone uses. Sure its hyperbolic, but that’s what they want to suggest with the ad.

It doesn’t matter what Sup Forums thinks. Apple is a near trillion dollar company without PC master race China crap shills.

I understand where this board is coming from but how can you be so blind as to not understand what’s going on?

>everyone is stupid but me

t. Sup Forums user

What an inane comment.

Because normies don't use them for anything a tablet can't handle. Internet, YouTube, email, photos, music. That's about it.

>what's their endgame?
They don't want anyone to own anything except except loans. Everything is subscribed and whatever you do 'own' will fall apart or lose value after some time.

Relax, I never said it was a bad thing. I went from Android to Apple because I was tired of tinkering with my phone being my hobby, I just wanted "good enough" paired with high reliability.

The end game is making money. While is partially correct about the loss of brain cells due to race mixing, it's not so much the end goal of Apple as it is something they see a way to profit from. You don't market calculators to Africans just as you don't market gold chains and "we wuz kangz" t-shirts to Northeastern Asians. Apple is tapping into the wallets of millions of brown retards. Nothing more.

No, laptops for anyone that has half a brain. I bought a business laptop that I can upgrade knowing it will be comfortable to use for hours of typing and I can use it for a decade by replacing parts individually when they fail.

Yeah, no, faggot. Race and IQ are connected. I grew up right on the edge of Detroit Michigan. Blacks are fucking retarded, and anyone that says otherwise has never lived near them. The 5% of them that are actually intelligent hate other blacks more than Sup Forums. Muh based black friend I've known since high school is the one that got me interested in tech, and he's pretty much a white guy with dark skin. He's also a massive freetard. Being disgusted with the behavior of low IQ minorities isn't due to an irrational fear or hatred. It's due to a higher IQ that allows you to notice the blatantly obvious. Even the neo-marxist left in this country is incredibly racist, but they won't admit it. They're all about having a feelgood circlejerk and sugar coating it. They hate the right because we're open about our observations, and we don't go out of our way to kiss ass to try to make up for it. Racism is the natural state of things.

The Apple Pencil isn’t garbage and the iPad Pro doesn’t have a 25% 2-year failure rate

That’s a mighty deep tip.

/thread

>what's their endgame?
To get you to buy a new Facebook machine every year.

iOS is so locked down and terrible that even RMS would prefer Windows 10.

When it comes to tech stuff Sup Forums is absolutely smarter than a good 85-90% of humanity. Your average Sup Forumsentooman mops the floor with the average MSP grunt any day of the week, let alone helpless lusers. Sup Forums has given the world a Gentoo spin, several useful web services, an image upscaling algorithm, a fucking Plan 9 distro, and helped break the story on Meltdown/Spectre (one dude's obscure blog => Sup Forums => reddit => The Register).

t. vendor support to MSP grunts

>hurr durr you're so few who think this way so you must be wrong

Nobody really shills for Windows yet it's still around. Amazing how that works.

iToddlers have defended this.

>t. windows shill

This

So chinks can rule the world

mfw normos still don't get that literally everything on their worthless facebook machine, from the operating system to the applications, has to be written on a computer, yet still proudly proclaim how their touchscreen toys have replaced computers

end to end control

>what's their endgame?
Tablets are the ultimate consumer devices, you do nothing but... consume... on them. You can't do a fucking thing of productivity on an ipad, and Apple wants it that way since if you're consuming, you're spending money on the App Store.

They're an all in one piece that forces the consumer to essentially buy a whole new device regularly instead of just upgrading or replacing parts. Even for the average consumer who would just be buying prebuilts, they're still going to get a new monitor when theirs gets old, buy a new mouse when theirs stops working, speakers, keyboard, etc.

Android has been designed as a datamining system from the get go, the openness was nothing but a ploy to keep hardware manufacturers from building competing platforms. Watch how they'll tighten the standards exactly to their specifications if they still want to ship devices with GApps, which they pretty much have to.
Google played embrace, extend, extinguish better than Gates could have ever imagined. They have a 80% market share on smartphones, practically a necessity of modern life and gathers intimate information about every waking second and step hundreds of millions if not billions people take.

Alphabet is scary.

>Desktop users don't tolerate adware
>or having to long into a cloud account
LOL

This
Great arguement shit skin

unironically this

It's not hereditary? Sorry, I thought it was 60-80% heritable (which means 80% hereditary, or even more, because leftist psychologists try hard to find the opposite).

yeah but at least androgyny is still popular and I can find girls at bars that get me going

yup, and here society are, supressing racism and natural selection to look good

>Apple REALLY does not want its users to know what's going on behind the scenes, or even think about it

They've literally been saying this for years. Watch a few dozen Jobs interviews, read older articles. They've always said they don't want the user thinking about the tech, they want them to focus on the task and not the machine which churns out the result of work.

They're the only major tech company I see pushing kids to learn 'coding'. They're doing something at least. Where's Samsung's 'lean to code' programs in their own brick and mortar stores? Oh wait, those don't exist. If Apple really wanted ignorance they wouldn't have made all those educational programs in universities and FREE learning sessions in their stores.

>Where's Samsung's 'lean to code' programs in their own brick and mortar stores?
yea they're not gonna waste company resources on something as stupid

Sort of true. Jobs made shit for himself... Sort of.
But cock - well, he is jewish gay nigga

we used to have
>server
>workstation
>desktop
>laptop

now we have
>app
>app
>app
>app

>hurr durr I can't read
He said that most of the world doesn't think like we do and that we don't understand what most of the world wants; this somehow means he thinks our tech policies are wrong?

50%.

Maybe.

yeah ok. LOL

surface pro line makes the ipad look like a joke... posted with a i7 sp3 i bought new for 600 over a year ago

Same reason these were phased out

Agreed. Although I still think the iPad line is a much better option then Android tablets currently, the surface pro has been pretty damn great. I managed to get the same one online for $400 bucks (The 256GB i7 model) and it has been an absolute beast.

You could have just googled that shit, brainlet.

you are the worst of applefags

So they admit their MACBOOKS are useless?

MACTODDLERS BTFO

to sell shitty tablets at an inflated price as if they were a new invention.

Nice.

Why is he naled?

Sorry the truth makes you mad kid

All this is true and it's sad that android tablets have all but given up. The shield had potential to be king but it's too old now and there isn't a lighter model to compete with the smaller tablets.

How will iToddlers ever recover?

>applel admits iToddlers are brainlet technology illiterates
>ad is supposed to "resonate" with millennial iToddlers

Is that a boy or a girl?

that boy? or girl? has 56% face

that is the current state of american gender. you'll never know. thank applel

Good. I hope kids grow up having no idea how computers actually work. I'm not a 10x rockstar developer so I need the job security.

she gives me naughty thoughts

You'll have to ask zim what zie identifies as

and gay, trans, liberal, rap fans, cucks etc