/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Old Thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended IBM models:
>600 series, IPS T4x or 755 series
Recommended freedom models:
>T60, X60; X200, T400/500
Recommended modern models:
>X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
>W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replaceable CPUs, IPS displays available, chiclet
>P series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/
>EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW (embed)
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

templeos.org/Videos/Dianna/DearDianna.mp4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just ebayed an x230 for 240 dollarydoos.

i5, 8gb ram, 180 SSD.

These meme PCs had better be good or I'll fuck all your mums.

Enjoy the botnet newfriend.

>dollarydoos
>mums
Fellow countryman why did you pay in dollars?

you're gonna be fine. and ignore the freetards.

Does anyone else think the T420/T430 could've had a 16:10 screen?

Is it possible to mod an old kb on to a T440s? Or are there other non chicklet KB's that can be installed on it?

i don't think it's possible, whether due to compatibility and you might have to modify extensively your T440s it's not worth it.
Doing the swap on x30 Thinkpads it's easy because they practically share chassis and body

What is the newst model with square screen? 4:3.

Is the T61?

how much of a performance hit can I expect if I go from a w520 to an x230 for programming and web browsing / productivity?

yup

How long will an x230 180gb ssd last before it dies?

It depends how much you use it, how you use it and what condition it was in when you got it (new/used) you stupid bloody sod.

What's the best model with a headphone jack on the left and a charging port on the right?

Just bought an x220 off eBay for $180.

i5
8gb ram
128gb sad

Deal or no deal?

Basically just want to use it as a Linux memepad

are there any non chicklet kb's you can switch on the T440s?

nope. Sell your T440s and get a T420(s) instead

i7 2640M 2.8ghz
8GB RAM
60GB SSD + 250 HDD
Rate my memepad 420

>x60 recommended freedom models

Surely an x61 isn't any different, right?

I just bought a 440s in mint condition for 180$ i5 8gb ram 180 ssd. did I fuck up? only using it for basic college shit

afaik, there's no Libreboot support for T/X61. Also 61's use 64bit cpu's and handle up to 8g of ddr2 ram.

Should I buy this for $260

>Lenovo ThinkPad T440S Ultrabook

Nice, fast and powerful Ultrabook Laptop.
Ultra-Durable Construction & MIL-SPEC Tested
Slim, Thin and Lightweight.
Great for Students and Office Workers.

Intel Core i5-4300U 4th Gen CPU with vPro Technology @ 1.90GHz (2.9GHz Turbo)
8GB DDR3 Memory (12GB Max)
256GB SSD Drive
Intel HD 4400 Graphics
14" HD Anti-Glare Screen
HD 720p Webcam
Back Lit Keyboard
Power Bridge Battery Technology (Enjoy hours & hours of battery life!!)
1 Internal 3 cell Battery
1 External 6 cell Swappable Battery
4G Optional (Get a sim card and enjoy always connected internet access!!)
1 x VGA
1 x Mini Display Port
Wireless AC 7260
Bluetooth 4.0
3 x USB 3.0
Gigabit Lan
Card Reader
Dolby Speakers with Home Theater v4
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

I just wanna use it for photoshop and adobe premiere pro and Civ 5

>photoshop and premiere pro on a turd-tier ULV cpu
Get a T430/530 instead.

Heard the new chinkpads are bad, was thinking of a latitude instead; thoughts?

hello Sup Forumsentoomen

I have in my possession a ThinkPad x120e (dual core 4GB version with a 256SSD). I installed Manjaro w/XFCE and I find that it makes for a sublime mini racist shitposting machine. I even got a new chink battery for it that gives me like 2-3 hours of life.

I know the x---e series gets a lot of hate for not being muh real thinkpads but they are still breddy good for what you get imo.

I can play my old gaymes like Diablo II, Baldur's Gayte, etc. and even watch Jewtube, so I'm happy.

Thoughts on the netbook line of Thinkpads? I am tempted to get a T420 or x230 to replace this eventually.

Obviously. I'm just looking for some anecdotes.

Should I install OpenBSD, FreeBSD, or Linux on my 8th generation ThinkPad X1 Carbon? Or should I keep Windows 10 Pro? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Advantages: Better OS
Disadvantages: You can't run anything useful

x61 isn't free, there is no open source bios for it

no

once you use true x/t/w series (not x--e or x1 trash, or any of the post --30 shit) you will see how good they are compared to normal laptops and shit thinkpads

Fuck off, retard

You paid too many ollarydoos ya dumb bogan cunt.

My $15 T510 came in today
>I5 520m
>Intel gpu
>4gb wam
>1366xcancer
It was even licensed windows 10 on it with the ebay seller name as the user.
I just don't fucking get it, it powered right on, the whole thing works.
The keyboard is ass, and someone tried removing it with a hammer it seems. They totally fucked up the plastic top.

I can post some pictures tomorrow if anyone cares.
Still not sure what to do with it

You got ripped off, got one same specs 500gb for 150.

$850 budget, is a thinkpad 13 customized to budget a good choice?

If you absolutely must buy new? Yeah, I guess.
Otherwise, a second hand with your own upgrades is much better value and performance.

You paid USD though.

I didn't manage to reply to the W530 guy in the last thread, but I assume from your answer that the K2000M is only better for GPU intensive shit rather than the K1000M? I just want to do Ganoo/Lanux stuff.

Not sure if I should go with a T430 or a W530. Somebody decide for me. W530 is $200 more.

>K2000M is only better for GPU intensive shit rather than the K1000M
Correct.

Unless you can think of a reason you would want the W530 over the T430, I wouldn't bother with it.

Linux if you actually want to do stuff.

post em

I got a w530 for about 250$ on ebay with a k2000m in it. It's not really worth it unless you're going to be playing old games and emulators on it.

Thanks lads. But I got another question, is the T430 better than the X230 because of the size or is it only a bigger screen? Any pros or cons? Similar battery life? Can you change the BIOS splash?

Or should I just forget the 30 series and go with the 20 instead?

If you want to do heavy modding, the xx20 series is much better. Lenovo implemented BIOS signing on the xx30 series, which made BIOS modding harder.

Does anyone play any old school gaymes on their T60?

Is it normal the the trackpoint on my t460s sucks?

templeos.org/Videos/Dianna/DearDianna.mp4

T430 OR T520. DECIDE FOR ME NOW.

T420 blaze it

>T520
too big

so the biggest way to get the most battery on the t430 is by adding a 9 cell battery and a slice battery together?

I've had my ThinkPad for little over half a year now but now its not working. When I try it on, the screen is just black. It seems to be running a little hot, so should I just let it cool off for a day or could something more serious be wrong?

Yes, along with a low-res screen, lowest end Haswell i3, 1 stick of RAM, single SSD.

>x220
>240gb Samsung ssd
>12gb ram
>+ docking station
$320 in jewland. Y/n?

>$320 in jewland

Didn't know Earth had a global currency. If it's USD, then it's an nice deal due to the obvious upgrades done along with the dock. If you put in another $50 or so, you could get a W series instead.

I'm using TrackPoint™ with `libinput` on Linux.

Problem is it recalibrates constantly. How do I stop that?

Let's say I want to take a screenshot of a region, I press LMB and move trackpoint to the right. By the moment it's at the edge of the region I need, it starts moving back on it's own.

Also, it sometimes moves by itself slightly.

>DMI log of my W520 has a few "CMOS battery failed" messages
Should I swap the battery? I didn't notice any actual problems yet

does a x230 always have keyboard back lighting?

>60GB SSD
Barely enough for a modern Windows. What OS are you using?

>X1 Carbon
Sell it, buy a real Thinkpad.

>does a x230 always have keyboard back lighting?
No. I'm typing on one right now, and this version does not have keyboard back lighting.

If you can touch it without burning you hand, it's not hot enough to prevent it from booting.

There's something wrong.
Screen, power, ram, CPU, MB, pick one or several.

The fan just runs pretty loud. It was fine up to today when it just stopped working. I had it on, but when I opened it up, the fan was on full blast and the screen blank.

Dollarydoos are Australian dollars

Just fuck off if you don't know what you're talking about. Coreboot is a *****BIOS***** replacement.

My T410s and AE25 have about the same footprint... I would've thought the T410s would be longer in the dimension that its screen is longer. It is, but really not much.

Just replace it anyway, they're dirt cheap.

Do all ThinkPads have the ThinkLight feature no matter what?

It is, but also: 4:3 T61's are rare.

>inb4 somebody says you were ripped off because they didn't see it has an SSD

>fall for the "linux works great on thinkpad" meme
>boot lubuntu on T520
>backlight control doesn't even work

All X230's do, if that's what you're asking.

It’s easy fixed. Just a google search away

>webcams are important for muh business users.
Could somebody explain this to me? I don't understand why business chads whose time is worth real money would prefer anything other than, you know, email.

Nice meme

Conferences and "meetings" with the retarded managers who like to talk about meaningless bullshit for hours

Do any thinkpads have a MXM slot? Or am I just going to external GPU this when at home?

The X230 does, but I have honestly never seen anyone use the ThinkLight unironically.

Is there a good ThinkPad for gaming?

>Could somebody explain this to me?
I use Skype for work.

Maybe some of the 17" models do. 15" ones never had one. Doesn't matter anyway since all laptop GPUs are shit
Use an eGPU with the expresscard slot

>Is there a good ThinkPad for gaming?
P series, but you need to be rich.
W series if you play old games.

I use a W530 daily and I can play indie/old/light games without any trouble. (The upper limit is Skyrim)

So if I wanted to play something like Quake Champions, basically just go for one of those Lenovo with a 1050ti that sell at 800€?

Depends on what you need for gaymen
You can get a W520 which has the equivalent of a geforce 460M relatively cheaply

>Lenovo with a 1050ti that sell at 800€
Consumer lenovo laptops are not thinkpads, they are garbage

I know they are not Thinkpads, but I'm looking for something that can run recent games at least on low-medium and 90fps without having to spend more than 900€

Unfortunately I don't think a 460M would be enough, I only play Quake Champions so that's what I want to be able to run well, thought there might be a ThinkPad that fits my situation but I see I'll have to stick to these crappy "gaming" laptops

What? Are you talking about the "gaming" branch of Lenovo?

They're not Thinkpads, they're random overpriced consumer-aimed mediocre laptops.

>but I'm looking for something that can run recent games at least on low-medium and 90fps without having to spend more than 900€
Move along then, because the only Thinkpads that can do that are P series, and they're over 900 EuroShekels, except if you find a real good deal on eBay.

>the only Thinkpads that can do that are P series, and they're over 900 EuroShekels
ok that's what I wanted to know

The trackpad on my T420s has been worn smooth in a fairly large area. Is there any way to bring back the ruggedness/feeling of it? Or is a replacement the only option?

How easy is it to install a bluetooth switch on a T420s? I can see on ebay that some models are coming with bluetooth compatibility and some aren't?

It's just a sticker
I scrubbed off the rest of the rugged surface since I like smooth trackpads

Huh, interesting. I'll se if I can scrub it up somehow.

having the same issue. idk how to fix it. whenever I pull too strong and too long it moves back on it's own for 2-3 seconds

Any general good advice for buying Thinkpads in the UK? I'm really struggling to find good sellers on Gumtree.

No srsly. I had the same problem with xubuntu on my t420.
All I had to do was copy/pasting stuff I found online.

>Wants to play games
>Looking at ThinkPads

What are you doing, my man?

Just trolled through ebay and didn't find any decent T430s. I'm looking for an i7 with a good screen (1600x900) and OEM battery / adapter.

you can't just call anything you don't like botnet

>winblows

MFW readyboosted my old thinkpad, and it made it better.

nani the fuck is this?!
[spoiler]i want one[/spoiler]

The touchpad of my T420 wasn't working, so I bought an used fingerprint palmrest but it's also not working . How can I know if I got scammed with a faulty ribbon? My W7 detected the fingerprint reader so I guess it's working but can't do anything with the touchpad. It's also showing up on the BIOS

Bumpu

try eBay