/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Why no thread edition

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>i5-8400/8600K - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous thread (you motherfuckers keep forgetting to do this)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/pFWtxY
pcpartpicker.com/list/dv4sHN
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352072
pcpartpicker.com/list/MWKnm8
pcpartpicker.com/list/NPGsqk
pcpartpicker.com/list/xbxT4C
amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-3-2200g
pcpartpicker.com/list/6YQwtJ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Brb waiting for z390+9700k 2H this year

oh shit its a fresh one, here take a gander at this I guess pcpartpicker.com/list/pFWtxY

Micro ATX Mobo in ATX case? Why?

Consider a higher quality PSU
Consider a 144-240hz monitor since it seems to be a gayman build

did you pull those components out of a hat?

So for threadripper, if I'm not planning on doing meme overclocking, would going with thermaltake's 360mm (quieter) over Enermax's 360mm (cooler) be alright? Or is it a housefire on full load?

You gonna oc to max? Is that cooler good for pushing 5ghz on a 8600k? That's the only point getting a 8600k for. Else you might just get a 8400 put it to 3.8ghz boost and save some cash

Noctua tr4 coolers can handle even oc threadripper let alone non oc. Why not just go air

quieter and I've got the infection for things that can light up since getting a new keyboard last year.

Air cooling would be even less noise. No pump noise. But no RGB.
Why not just get enermax and adjust fan curve ? I've heard it's the best tr4 cooler

Yeah I've read some more shit and it turns out the TT one can't sync its lights with the mobo. Just gonna get some separate lit up fans with the enermax later and call it day on that one.

>$6000
>gaming/streaming/Editing
>monitors -> idk just the best there is and 2 of em

Probably messed up while asking but idc

pcpartpicker.com/list/dv4sHN
I can't decide if I really want to wait for Define R6 availability or just go with something else

February 12:
Ryzen 2200G to replace R3 1200 at $99
Ryzen 2400G to replace R5 1400 at $169

Ryzen 2 (12nm Zen+) and X470 chipset in April. Probably 8-core Ryzen 7 first.

End of March?:
H310, B360 and H370 motherboards for Intel so i3-8100 is finally relevant

If the 2200G clocks even 100MHz higher than the 1200 then the 8100 is worthless

Could always go with the Meshify
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352072

What happens if I have a psu that has less voltage than required for my parts

Why would you get an 8600K but only 8GB of memory and no SSD or video card

So we have to wait 'til April to get a mobo that works with 2400G right outta the box?

Do you know what voltage is? Or do you mean wattage?

If the boards we have now come preloaded with the newest BIOS after February 12 then those would technically work out of the box

>8gigs of ram
>No ssd

You mean wattage. Your parts don't use full power at all times, so your PC will basically shut down suddenly whenever it ramps up to a power draw that the PSU can't handle.

pcpartpicker.com/list/MWKnm8

could toss all this on my credit card right now, already have everything else. any critiques?

Hmm hasn't happened to me yet. I have a 430 but I have a gtx 980ti and a coffee lake CPU. He only thing that has happened is the gpu runs alittle but slower in high computing

Are you planning on buying an 8700K and not overclocking it at all? Seriously just get the 8700 and that way you can also get a cheaper board if you want.
If you do keep the 8700K you should get an NH-D15 or NH-D15S. Also, your board is on the cheaper side and might not be able to overclock as well.
Consider 3200MHz memory

i plan on messing with OC but the ultimate plan here is a silent build. which means i may overclock but nothing super serious, which is why i didn't opt for noctua on the cooler. asrock is something i've been using for years and they've never done me wrong, plus having enough sata ports is a must. understood about the ram though, price difference is negligible.

as far as motherboards go, any recommendations? 8 sata ports is my only real need. i have a fuck ton of data.

I had planned to upgrade the ram to 16 gb at some point, but I will look into an ssd. I've never actually used a computer with one

Just dropped ~$5k on this

Case:
>Rackmount 4U Chassis with rails (Red)
Case Fans:
>ORIGIN PC High-Performance Ultra Silent Fans
Power Supply:
>1000 Watt EVGA SuperNOVA G3
Motherboard:
>ASUS PRIME X299-Deluxe
System Cooling:
>ORIGIN FROSTBYTE 360 Sealed Liquid Cooling System for 2011/2066 Socket
Processors:
>Intel Core i9 7900X 10-Core 3.3GHz (4.3GHz TurboBoost)
Thermal Compound:
>GELID GC-Extreme CPU Application
Graphics Card #1:
>Single 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030
Graphics Card #2:
>None
Graphics Card #3:
>None
Memory:
>32GB ORIGIN PC DDR4 Powered by Kingston 3200MHz (4 X 8GB)
Operating System:
>MS Windows 10 Professional
Operating System RAID Configuration:
>RAID 1
Operating System Drive #1 (Primary):
>512GB Samsung 960 Pro PCIe NVMe M.2
Hard Drive #2:
>512GB Samsung 960 Pro PCIe NVMe M.2
HotSwap Drives RAID Configuration:
>RAID 1
Hot Swap Bay Drive #1:
>4TB Western Digital Caviar Black
Hot Swap Bay Drive #2:
>4TB Western Digital Caviar Black

bonus points if you guess what its for

really? it's fucking game changing, my dude.

Minecraft

also

>buying windows

I was like you user, had 1 HDD for system 1 for games n shit
moving to SSD was amazing everything just happens faster
keep in mind for huge sustained file transfers SSDs will hit a buffer wall and go down to slightly below maximum HDD tier speeds but this only matters for tens of GBs

>Minecraft

Rong.

That won't be silent though
With a $30 cooler you'll be stressing it quite a bit at stock voltage
Noctua specializes in silence so I would very strongly consider budgeting that in.
If you do not care very much about overclocking feel free to keep the board but I really don't see the point of paying more for an 8700K when you could wait for the 8700 to get in stock and save $70 on that

Why the fuck would you buy Skylake-X

Skyrim modding, obviously.

it was more expensive so i figured its better, right?

nah, i bought it to do mods for ascii games

>it was more expensive so i figured its better, right?
I hope you are joking

Ok that didn't quote correctly

why would i be joking? I take this laotian iguana tossing board very seriously

sold my z270k and i7 6700 along with 2133 ddr 4 ram 8gb and 4gb sticks.

Replacing that with these three, opinions?

pcpartpicker.com/list/NPGsqk

That memory is slow
Why did you sell your 6700, anyway?

Dumb as pile of bricks.
The 6700 is fine. Why are you upgrading in 2 gens to a flawed CPU?
What are you doing now that the 6700 can't do but the 8700k does well.

>What are you doing now that the 6700 can't do but the 8700k does well.

Overheat?

Heh. Cheeky.

Wanted a 7700k but since the 8700 is out ill just get it.

Yeah looking over it, Idk why I picked that ram lol. Which of these are the best pick? pcpartpicker.com/list/xbxT4C

AMD already have the specs on their website:
amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-3-2200g

8100 even more worthless maybe, but those 2c/4t Celerons won't. We live in a timeline where Intel are the better choice for poverty-tier builds.

All existing boards will work with a BIOS update. Mine is already supported two weeks ago. Out of the box, yes, X470 in April (possibly before the chips launch), and B450 who knows when

Get the most expensive one since clearly you have no common sense or a budget.

You fucktard, it's not your money to spend. the 8700k is happening and so is the mobo, just not sure on which ram to go with.

Probably going to go with the Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Why are you asking /pcbg/ for opinions if you are just going to buy the most expensive shit?
>Hurr durr check out this humble brag on Sup Forums

you should get the skylark 7900x pc, thats what i got

It's definitely not the most expensive shit, they are all the same price. TO me it looks like they're all the same its just the looks and preference. Jesus fucking chris you neets are salty fucks.

if i was buying the most expensive shit i would have gotten the 32gb kit or 64gb. Happens to be I'm fine with a $200 budget

get the skylark 7900 cpu its wikkid sikk man

If you can afford expensive processors and motherboards why limit yourself to DDR-3200? Get some DDR4-4266

Look it is clear you have more money than sense so you don't need our opinions, it is not like you will even consider listening to us in the first place cause you are a moron. Piss off.

too eexpensive

Because like I said, i'm fine with $200 for ram. I don't want to upgrade that often, why's that so hard for you to understand? I had the 6700 for two years. Just refreshing the guts.

hey man nobody needs your toxic tude dude, the man is R.I.C.H. be happy for him

>All existing boards will work with a BIOS update. Mine is already supported two weeks ago.
Just asking myself if I should pre-buy a B350 while I have the money, or if I should just wait for B450 for less possible issues.

Even without OC, for silent you're gonna want to go with a beefier cooler. be quiet!'s dark rocks are bretty gud choices in the air category.

if i'm gonna overclock the 8700k, should i get something different than the geminii m4 that I had on the 6700? i was thinking of the evo 212 but I didn't get it at the time because that shit is stupid big.

>I don't want to upgrade that often
>I had the 6700 for two years

The 6700 came out of a prebuilt, I never bought it boxed so this would be my first CPU purchase in a long time.

>Evo 212 stupid big
>Overclocked 8700k on the Evo 212

can anyone recommend a used xeon?
looking to trash this fx8300

suggest something or go be a cunt by your own self. ignoring water cooled, what's the best bet for a cooler.

If the manufacturers release a 2.0 version with latest BIOS, sure. There's a host of B350 to choose from. You'd need another few months to wait, choose and pick for B450. Even if there's no B450, they will absolutely release new B350s with Raven Ridge support out of the box

How about you do some basic research about the stuff you are going to spend half a thousand dollars buying?
If that is too daunting how about you go buy another prebuilt?

got 5x 120mm and 1x 140mm noctuas from disassembling older build, what case should I get?

I had mismatched RAM 8 and 4GB from the same prebuilt because I needed a computer at the time so I took it out of it to build the current one. Also don't like the z270k prime anymore and wanted a 7700k before but since 8700k came out just recently I thought I'd do it all at once. I also just did my taxes and my refund is looking nice. So don't give me shit about how much a part costs, because you sound insecure and projecting at me for some reason.

What I spend my money should be none of your concern, you're just being a little cunt with something up your ass or you're just always like that since that's the shitty person you've always been.

Nah. You are a cunt with more money than common sense who clearly don't want to do basic research about the stuff he is buying.
Sure you can buy a 8700k but is it wise to buy a 8700k in your situation? Probably not. Go ahead buy that 8700k with a huge hardware exploit built into it. I am sure that will help you do whatever the fuck you are doing that you can't apparently do on a 6700. Maybe you can be a good goyim and buy 9700 when it comes out as well.

If I was so loaded why aren't I purchasing the 7900 and 64gb of ultra memed 4000mhz ram? Listen to yourself, you're got some internal struggles going on and it's not healthy. There is a reason this community has gone to shit over time, because of people like you.

Sure I could use an m.2 drive as well, but I use an SSD to boot already so if I was so loaded like you said and had no common sense, why am I not buying those and two titans to boot?

Amazing.

The community has gone to shit because of idiots like you who don't want to do basic research and come in here expecting to be spoonfed. Hey you want to go against common sense and buy an intel chip with a huge security baked into it and takes huge performance hits when the patch and BIOS are applied? Be my guest. You clearly don't want sound advice but instead want to listen to your own fart.

Pretty sure I was just asking for recommendations for ram and you got your panties in a bunch. You sound like an AMD drone for fucks sake. muh exploits.

You talk like you know about "this community" when it is clear to everyone here that this is your first time in this thread. Reddit might be better for you.

Yeah first time, you're so right. Get the fuck out of here, I've been here longer than you have - I promise you that.

>Opinions on these three
>I was just "asking recommendations for RAM"
>Get honest opinion
>Cries
>Exposes that he knows jackshit about the stuff he is buying
You disgust me.

>Prebuilt
>Needs to ask for opinion for RAM
>Thinks he can cool a overclocked 8700k with a 212
>I've been here longer than you have - I promise you that.

>community
>Sup Forums
Yeah, no, you're a cunt. Also only an insecure faggot gets concerned about how long they've been on a tibetan yodelling image board.
And until Intel comes out with a chip that doesn't require software side patching or fucking BIOS updates to fix their massive, TWENTY FIVE YEAR OLD SECURITY HOLE, I wouldn't buy their shit unless it was on as big a discount, goy.

dont make fun of her she is a delicate lady (my wife)

stay salty soyboy, maybe next time you can convince your mommy to increase your allowance.

Oh lawd. How delicate is your ego dude? Do you bust out that screenshot all the time on an anonymous forum?

>no coverage
my sides

because there is no reason to use overdraft protection, simpleton broke nigga.

Only an insecure faggot would be post his bank account balance. See

what's worse is that he has that on his checking account when it's the worst account to put your money
you can take your ebonics elsewhere, nigger

come again? sounds like you caught some salty feelings and never had a use for liquidity

Look no one cares about how much money you have. Richer people have posted on these forums before. The fact that you have to bust out your bank account shows how childish you are.

yes yes. i'll let you goyim get back to worrying about muh exploits and muh performance hits.

be quiet pure rock slim is literally right beside noctua in terms of sound. doesn't cool nearly as efficiently, no, but it's just as silent under load. for a 30 dollar cooler that's pretty impressive.

If you want to smell your own farts, don't post here. Don't ask for opinions and then get butthurt when you get exposed for an idiot. Do basic research on the stuff you are going to buy. And this is an anonymous forum where no one gives a shit about your identity. I could be Obama for all you know but busting out a bank account balance as if that proves a point is childish as fuck. You are anonymous, you got called out. Let it go and stop replying, is that so hard to do?

Your biggest argument against the 8700k was a 1% - 5% performance hit well within a margin of error, that's literally what you based your whole bashing of the 8700k on.

You are literally an AMD drone.

Tell me what is it you are going to do on the 8700k that you can't do a 6700. Not a lot considering you don't even know basic stuff like cooling an overclocked 8700k.

I'm not worried about slightly higher temps, CPU are meant to run hot you kike.

It's none of your business what the 8700k will be used for and should have no relevance to the discussion at hand.

So you are spending money for the sake of spending money when your 6700 can probably do whatever the fuck you want it to do? Then you proceed to ask for opinions on what is basically a very expensive small upgrade which doesn't benefit your in practice and you got butthurt because people mentioned it stupid? Butthurt enough that you posted your checking account as if to say look at me having stupid amount of money to buy stupid amount of stuff.

Hilarious. Look, you clearly don't give a shit about "opinions" and want to buy whatever the fuck you want and yet wander into this this thread asking for "opinions". What the fuck were you expecting?

will you guys shut the fuck up and stop polluting the thread

No, I was running mismatching ram, that's one of the main reasons for purchasing these parts. 6700 was struggling to render scenes I was working on and I already have a 1080ti so the only other thing I could improve is a new CPU.

I was expecting to see if there is a preference between those ram kits, as they are identical to me. Same price range, so that's why I asked if anyone might have purchased any of the ones I listed.

>Replacing that with these three, opinions?
Okay bud. Whatever you say. It is "ram kit" now huh. Buy whatever you want, Intel never had issues with RAM not being recognized unlike AMD. You would know this if you bothered doing basic research.

Since you all seem to be in a helpful mood. Is there anything I can improve with my build?
pcpartpicker.com/list/6YQwtJ

Ignore the multiple keyboards and mice, I'm still in the process of picking them. The gpu I'll wait for a more reasonable price.
Mostly I'm wondering about the psu. I'm a little worried it's not quite powerful enough.
The case also comes with only one 200mm fan. I'll probably scavenge some more from my current system but if there's anything worthwhile out there that's cheap and quite I'm open for it.

>Okay bud. Whatever you say. It is "ram kit" now huh. Buy whatever you want, Intel never had issues with RAM not being recognized unlike AMD. You would know this if you bothered doing basic research.
It's a kit of two dimms, yes as in a pair. What are you raging on about?