Even though I studied for it as a career, goddamn I hate programming...

Even though I studied for it as a career, goddamn I hate programming. I just don't have the brain for deriving and memorizing all these algorithms, thinking through them, understanding and proving their correctness and efficiency, not to mention the pain in the ass of implementation, remembering libraries and methods, etc. What a shit career, I wish I would be doing something else.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pu__97bVyOc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why would you memorize algorithms?

Why not? Shouldn't you always be familiar with the basic ones, (sorting algorithms, divide and conquer techniquest, dynamic programming, certain graph algorithms like BFS and DFS, Dijkstra's, Kruskal, Prim) or at least be able to derive them?

No, there are libraries for that, and they're written better than you could do yourself. Are you still in school or something?

>No, there are libraries for that

pajeet tier

Jordan peterson is the new meme
youtube.com/watch?v=pu__97bVyOc

You're only supposed to remember what the algorithm is used for. Not the gritty details. Youre doing it wrong.

Try that at a job interview where the interviewer asks you what the difference between merge sort and quicksort is, and how they differ performancewise. I wouldn't expect a pajeet like you to understand.

You're an unemployable retard with the greatest accomplishment of writing hello world 15 different ways. Please don't post ever again.

>saving time is bad

hobbyist tier

Understanding the textbook examples and how a program works will help you write your own programs and ensure their correctness and efficiency. Unfortunately I don't understand the textbook examples.

Those interviews aren't a thing after you've proven your ability to bring value to a company. I bump into them every now and then, but they're jobs I want. Companies care that I build quality shit quickly without creating more work for everyone else. 9 times out of 10 they don't give a shit that I have to Google algorithms whenever I need them (which is rarely anyway)

Classic interview question is to ask you to reverse a string without using any libraries, or multiply two numbers without using the * operator or math functions, etc.

If you can't figure that out you shouldn't be programming.

Employed fag here. My current peers cared more about whether I could perform analysis and work through problems rather that memorize shit that Google can tell me. It worked pretty well for me, and life is good.

Don't worry, one day you'll find a decent employer. Just don't fuck it up by reciting google search results.

How's the weather in Mumbai? Is it wet or dry season now?

That is all pretty unnecessary. The programming questions I was ask for my job at a Fortune 100 company were like "What is the difference between a queue and stack?"

Dry, like your mother last night.

In that case you just answer ”I do not know the difference right now, but if it was required for an actual task in practical work, I would google it, learn in within 15 minutes and be able to correctly explain the differences to you”. If they aren’t satisfied with an answer like that, they are a lost cause and not worth my time.

Questions like ”how do you reverse a string” or anything that proves that you know what the remainder operator does are more reasonable, but memorizing algorithms you never actually need to use in practive is meme tier.

most people aren't good at programming. corporations just pushing for everyone to program because they need to drive down wages. All that will happen is they will get a bunch of shitty programmers.

I also have a degree in software engineering, but I now hate programming and don't want to do it anymore. Talk about poor career choices.

>not knowing how to program yourself gets you a job
Sadly how it works nowadays

bullshit all you have to know is how to use proven battle tested libraries

if you are writing your own stuff from scratch without VERY GOOD reason you are just brainlet because you will fuck things up 100%

You fucked up, m8.
You don't have to and shouldn't memorize these things, you should have acquired an intuition so you can come up with them when needed and you should be able to see them as more abstract concepts, treat them as domains of solutions instead of concrete algorythms.
But if you can't do it, you are mostly likely not suitable for real programming. Don't worry, you can always do webdev.

Your employer doesn't pay you for being able to write code, he wants you to create products/maintain system/do research. You can do all of this more efficiently if you do not implement hash map and linked lists on your own.

Modern day programmer in most cases is just a Google researcher with copy and paste skills and the ability to refactor.

then just leave

>Even though I studied for it as a career, goddamn I hate programming
>Even though I studied for it as a career
>as a career

Found your ploblem matey, you don't study it for getting money, but for fun

Now you're fucked