So I was on craigslist when I saw an optiplex 755 for $20

So I was on craigslist when I saw an optiplex 755 for $20.

I haven't had a desktop for almost two years and really wanted something to play league, csgo and some other shitty games on, so I jumped at this opportunity.

When I got home I found out that it had very few real issues.The servos in the harddrive are shit so the hdd needs to go but thats about it. I also found out that the guy installed an ati radeon 2400 xt, as well as a raiser to support so that was cool.

However, once I booted up league and started playing, the desktop shut itself off periodically.

What could be causing this? Is it the psu? I have a 280w psu but considering how old it is it may be failing. I don't want to buy a new psu and find out I didn't need to.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-ATI-Radeon-HD-2600-XT-2600-Pro-and-2400-XT-Review/Power-Consumption
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Most likely the PSU.

Specs:

80 gb hdd (no idea the rpm)
Intel core 2 duo e8400
Ati radeon HD 2400 xt
Cd-rw/dvd drive
4 gb ram
280w psu

Check CPU and GPU temperature in case anything is overheating. Try running it without the video card. It's probably the PSU.

This says your GPU pulls a max of 180w under load, leaving only 100w for the rest of your system.

My money is 100% on the PSU not being able to hang

sorry, link: pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-ATI-Radeon-HD-2600-XT-2600-Pro-and-2400-XT-Review/Power-Consumption

thankfully you didn't spend anymore on this old thing.

this. if OP's proprietary PSU is to blame he might have to buy another one and prices tend to vary. it could also be heatsink related. he may need to apply some new thermal paste

I kind of figured this. The only problem I have is that this is a form factor pc like the one in the picture. I would need to find a specific size psu that is probably 400 to 500 watts.

Overview of the inside.

your options are really limited based on what you're willing to spend and your form factor

do you have a screwdriver handy? uninstall the GPU driver so you can use primary display, take the thing out, and see if your computer still struggles

Or be punk rock and buy a used PSU (or dig one out of a drawer), hook it up to the GPU (assuming it has an independant power connection - for 180w, I'd assume it does), and run it off a second wall connection (with the case open and after shorting a couple wires to make it turn on in succession with your main OEM PSU.

I also bought this with the intention of slowly buying a whole new pc, replacing everything down to the mobo and the case.

Would it be wise to buy a new case right now along with the psu considering the future?

>Would it be wise to buy a new case right now along with the psu considering the future?
no, you should probably do some more research

if you plan to use your optiplex as a stopgap until you get your dream build see if you can get it to run properly without the GPU and riser inside of it. don't spend anymore money on this, it's depreciated.

Alright I'll try it without the video card and see how it runs with integrated graphics for a while.

you mentioned the servomechanism in the hdd in your first post. what made you come to that conclusion?

if there nothing wrong with it you might want to get a fresh OS install on there too, if possible

I already installed windows 10 fresh when I got it.

The computer was making a strange gurgling sound when it was running, i ran it without the side panel so I could feel around to find some vibrations. Lo and behold, the hdd is the source of the noise and I can't find anything else failing. I didn't feel like opening the hdd up but I have had this problem before so I was familiar with the noises it was making and the behavior of the pc.

Besides it was an 80gb hdd what does it matter anyway.

that sounds really odd actually. i hope you find the problem, not much else i can do at this point since i can't administer process of elimination from the internet

Throw it in the trash, I can't stress enough how dog shit these models are. The motherboards are prone to failure.

I had one that I used in an arcade machine and it'd have periodic freezing and skipping, and the fan would go insane.
Now after just a couple years it doesn't even start anymore.

Next time grab a desktop that isn't small form factor and stick a nvidia gtx 750 (or whatever the good low power GPU is nowadays)

Do this op. I did this a number of years ago with a refurbished dell with a gtx 750 that didn't need separate power from a psu. If you find yourself spending money on a psu or anything else, you're likely destined to keep throwing money at it for a bunch of other small things and before you know it it'll just be the case that was original. Not worth it unless you enjoy constantly tinkering with it over actually playing games on it

People like you ought to have electronics tools like a multimeter.
Just take it to a repairshop.