Chromebook thread

Which model did you buy?
How is it? Do you love it?
What are you using yours for?
Are you using Crouton or a full Linux installation?
How about Android apps, do you use them too?

HP G11. Was and still is a $400AUD shitposting machine.
Love it? Yeah it’s alright, the keyboard is awesome and so is the touchpad but the processor and ram is trash tier. No Linux, doesn’t run android apps.

Fucking shill.
Who the fuck would use an inferior computer with an inferior OS?

We all use Thinkpads.

Fuck off, a true g/entooman knows to install Linux on his Chromebook.
I have the Samsung Pro running galliumos. Make sure the one you get supports Linux.
If you type galliumos compatability it should come up.

>Make sure the one you get supports Linux.
Don't they all, one way or another?

Please show me one with a 1080p IPS screen with backlit keyboard for less than $200
Until then there is nothing to talk about

Asus chromebook flip c302, i tried running full linux distro full time (Gallium and Lesbian) but i couldnt use it as tablet, touch support is really bad, but if you have chromebook without touchscreen like acer c somehing i think gallium is way to go. Curently i am using i3wm in croton witch is really cool becouse i get almost full linux potencial (gimp, openssh, vim, virualbox, firefox witch i use for its inspect element feature, clipboard is shared, dosbox and couple of console emulators), and i can still use android apps and couple of integrated chromeos features like chromecast and things like that. Paid 450+ 50 for fucking dongle and 64 gb sd car. Battery lasts for ever and laptop is also small and light as shit. 8/10 would buy it again.

>Gallium and Lesbian

heh

No. Many Chromebooks don't have drivers in the mainline kernel.

>model
asus c201
>love
yes
>what
shitposting
>installation
libreboot
debian 8 armhf port
xfce
tl-wn722n

This is literally the most dogshit of dogshit laptops I have ever bough. This is coming from someone who has owned fagbooks.

The OS is literally a broken version of Android with less functions and features. You have to spend hours hacking it for linux to run properly and even then you get a gimped version of linux.

Awful, just overallnawful. If you're this poor then get an x220 with an extended 100Whr battery. Will be a little bulky but give you the same battery life and more functions & features.

>What model did you buy?
Acer R11 (CB5-132T)

>How is it?
Fantastic so far. I got it for $170 on Black Friday, and picked up a 128 GB SD card for my music and movies. It also has a touchscreen which is handy for comfy bedposting. It’s fast, small, and light, so it’s great for taking to class.

>Are you using Crouton or a full Linux install?
Chrx, so a full GalliumOS Linux install alongside ChromeOS. Dual boot basically. It was really easy and the driver support is pretty good.

>How about Android apps, do you use them too?
No. I haven’t really bothered or felt the need to. I’m an Applefag so I never used any Android apps anyways.

You're one of those people who thinks having more "functions and features" automatically makes a Windows or full Linux laptop better than a Chromebook. What you need to understand is that there are people out there whose sole use case for a computer is fast, stable and secure access to online services - and NOTHING else. For those people, additional "functions and features" aren't a selling point, in fact those function and features actively detract from their experience of using a laptop.

Then just use your fucking phone then. Chromebooks are literally less useful than an Android phone with a bluetooth keyboard.

>use your fucking phone

of course user, genius, who needs a keyboard or a screen bigger than 5"

>chromebooks are literally less useful than
>useful

you didn't at all understand my point about "sole use case", did you?

You can literally chromecast your screen on a tv and use the touch keyboard or a separate bluetooth one.

>sole use case
This is so fucking stupid because a phone provides the same fucking thing and then more.

You know how fucking dogshit a chromebook is when a phone is more useful.

>You can literally chromecast your screen on a tv and use the touch keyboard or a separate bluetooth one.

So I can use 4 separate pieces of electronics to achieve the same effect as 1 piece of electronics, cool idea. And obviously the combination you suggest works really well as a laptop substitute. Yeah.

>a phone is more useful

Try and understand what I said before; if your SOLE USE for a computer is fast, stable and secure access to online services and NOTHING ELSE, then the extra things that a phone does that a Chromebook can't are disadvantages and distractions, not benefits.

>Which model did you buy?
HP Chromebook 11 (G1) back in 2013.
>How is it? Do you love it?
It was just barely crossing the line of acceptable at first but now I hate it. It freezes and restarts randomly at least twice a week. It deletes files without telling you to free up space. It's slow as all hell and you likely won't be able to keep more than two tabs running without crashing. It's got only 16 GB of storage, and 2 of those are taken up by the OS, which is glitchy and incredibly unstable.
The screen is small but nice; it's an IPS display. The trackpad is also small but really nice, almost reminiscent of the 2009 'white plastic' MacBook.
>What are you using yours for?
Just Chromebook things. Shitposting, applying for jobs, checking email, listening to music, etc etc.
>Are you using Crouton or a full Linux installation?
No. I don't think my computer would be able to handle it.
Not available on my machine. Probably never will be. :^)

Extra things to note: The battery life is legitimate as promised: 6 hours. The sound quality is shockingly good considering. The keyboard is less flimsy than bigger, more powerful Windows laptops I've seen. The camera is comically bad at picking up light, to the point where even in the middle of the day, the image will be almost too dark to see anything if you're indoors.
3/10, the thing has a nice body but no brains.

>Which model did you buy?
Toshiba CB2
>How is it? Do you love it?
Great. 14 hours of battery life per charge. Brilliant 1080p IPS panel
>What are you using yours for?
General purpose browsing of course. I also connect to a windows share from my server to stream from my private collection
>Are you using Crouton or a full Linux installation?
Absolutely not. I have a much much more powerful thinkpad T420 if I really need full Linux on the go. (I don't.)
My model was one of the few that doesn't support android apps natively. I have to engage developer mode and then turn it on manually to do so. But turning it on requires a full wipe and restore and I'm lazy

ChromeOS is comfy if your needs are simple. Pleasant to look at Gentoo fork. Light enough on resources to multi-task without issue. My model also has Skullcandy tuned DAC, so it's really good audio for it's size.

>botnet

Yes, Google make money of advertising by collecting anonymized (?) data of my web habits. I could not give a flying fuck. In fact I have willingly embraced the "botnet" and contribute to Google market research programmes in exchange for small amounts of Play Store credit. If I ever do do anything I don't want them to know about, I'll find another way of doing it that doesn't involve Google. In the meantime, I'm loving all their convenient online services.