What are some reasonable, unobtrusive measures you take to make sure your browsing is secure and private?

What are some reasonable, unobtrusive measures you take to make sure your browsing is secure and private?

Other urls found in this thread:

thewindowsclub.com/firefox-quantum-disable-telemetry-data-collection)
privacytools.io/#
eff.org/
usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/komando/2015/10/09/stop-facebook-targeted-ads-and-tracking/73588820/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Looking for this too. Not too tech savvy (hey everyone starts somewhere)

Your privacy stack should be:

>Firefox (or some fork of Firefox. I use Nightly)
>VPN (I use Private Internet Access. $40/year, no slowdowns)
>Telemetry data disabled on your browser (use this thewindowsclub.com/firefox-quantum-disable-telemetry-data-collection)
>Encrypt your local storage

For extensions you should use:
>Privacy Badger
>HTTPS Everywhere
>Decentraleyes
>An Ad Blocker (if you prefer that. I like uBlock Origin)
>A password manager if you want to randomize and store passwords safely
>If you really, really want to be malicious, install AdNauseum

Then:
>Go into your account settings for Google/Facebook/Whatever you use routinely
>Opt out of targeted ads, or consider deleting these accounts all together

These steps have little to no impact on your browsing, and will give you greater privacy and control over the data that websites/browsers collect. I still see generic ads for websites I visit, because I believe in supporting their work, but my data is not stored or tracked for advertising.

Some great resources:
privacytools.io/#
eff.org/
usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/komando/2015/10/09/stop-facebook-targeted-ads-and-tracking/73588820/

This is a fairly good list. I’ll be that guy and say
>Install Gentoo

Or some other Linux districts if you’re really paranoid

Bump for useful information

privacy badger breaks more sites than trackers it blocks

I'm a Linux user but its honestly not great for privacy IMO when you consider browser fingerprinting. Running any Linux distro radically increases entropy.

privacytools.io is a good website to check out. I switch around Linux distros constantly (for fun, really) and I always find this website to be the first page I visit when setting up Firefox.

Consider jumping ship to Linux as it's more respectful of your privacy than Microsoft or Apple is. If you're willing but new to Linux, consider a distro like Ubuntu, Linux Mint, or Elementary OS. Lots of support available for those distros and they're simple to install and configure. Not to mention that they look nice, too.

Noscript is definitely edging out of the unobtrusive category but it's essential for me.

This is very true. Linux only accounts for around 2% of computer based web browsing, making it pretty easy to narrow down fingerprints. I wonder if browser ID spoofing circumvent this?

I know there's browser addons that can make it look like you're using a different OS.
There was even one that randomizes it every 30 minutes or so.

I haven't had any sites break due to Privacy Badger. It has broken some ads though, which isn't a bad thing imo.

>reasonable, unobtrusive

Use Firefox.

Addons:
uBlock with some filter lists.
Cookie AutoDelete.
Smart HTTPS Everywhere.

In about:config:
media.peerconnection.enabled set to false
webgl.disabled set to true
signon.autofillForms set to false
dom.serviceWorkers.enabled set to false
toolkit.telemetry.enabled set to false

This will give you some basic protection but I recommend going deeper. Then it won't be unobtrusive, though you'll get used to it.

Yes, there are user agent fakers out there and you can probably cut down alot as long as you aren't spoofing google bots or something. Still OpenGL hashes and canvas attributes to worry about. You can cut out fingerprinting by installed system faults if you disable javascript, but that has its own problems.

system fonts*

>getting a vpn

VPN won't help with fingerprinting AFAIK. It just passing along your HTML header

this is my supplementary extension list for firefox. i also disable geo location, webrtc, pocket & the reader. firefox still works flawlessly on mainstream sites.

Terrible list. Privacy Badger is unnecessary and overlaps with other extensions.

What you need:
>uBlock Origin
>uMatrix (bit of a learning curve but worth it)
>Decentraleyes
>Cookies AutoDelete
This is as good as you can get. uMatrix will clear your cache at set intervals and you can block scripts and cookies with it. Cookies AutoDelete takes care of all the cookies that leak through uMatrix.

Https Everywhere isn't really necessary but if you want bloat and slowdown feel free to install it. Smart HTTPS is lightweight but breaks some webpages since all it does is change the url to https.

AdNauseum is a meme and doesn't even block ads, it just hides them and clicks them randomly.

More like Umemetrix

Why are you recommending error-prone blacklist based addons instead of Privacy Badger?

So you mean you don't want a tracker blocker to block tracks?

There's nothing wrong with Privacy Badger, it does work and needs no config. uMatrix is also good but learning curve as said. Also, Smart HTTPS tends to turn back to HTTP if site dosen't load in HTTPS automatically, had no problems with it.

Noscript is also a good add-on for blockign Javascript and other stuff.