/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub
gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H170-HD3-rev-10#sp
amazon.co.uk/Signstek-Coaxial-Converter-Decoder-Analogue/dp/B00XY5ORCK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1517015058&sr=8-3&keywords=usb dac
camelcamelcamel.com/OPPO-PM-3-Closed-Back-Magnetic-Headphones/product/B00UW0FZWQ?context=search
oppodigital.com/headphones-pm-3/
en-us.sennheiser.com/high-end-headphones-audiophiles-hd-820
monoprice.com/product?p_id=11567
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

are her headphones Skullcandy x Stax collab ?

>skullcandy
Into the trash it goes.

Please suggest an alternative for pic related around the same price point. It must be neutral, must reproduce the audio as it is, I absolutely despise umph umph ugly artificial bass. I want to be able to differentiate between different instruments.

user from previous thread - why are your pads so fucking dirty? Do you use your cat as a stand or something?

I've been horribly lazy. Actually have new pads on order to replace them.

here's my portable setup idoltrash!
anyway i ordered some wesntone um 10s they should come in sunday, and i might get some am pro 10s when im walking my dogs or just out and about.

why's your DAP 20 times the price of your iems

pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub Fill the template out.

because i broke my cheap pmp and i was tired of that shitty ui so i bought this one

Should I buy Superlux HD669?
My budget is 75 $ max

cute feet

OP has a foot fetish.

ok sorry here is the template

>Budget
75 dollars
>Location
Poland
>Source
PC with AMD hd audio device (??? I have no idea) alternatively a samsung
>Type of headphone
closed
>Comfort level
dont care
>Sound signature
bassy
>Past headphones
Sennheiser HD 201 (absolute garbaga flat sound for me) and some gaymin Logitechs (quite good but broke)

Alright so my budget is about $100 but I could go over a little
I'm in the USA
My phone and my PC. That's it.
Closed would be vastly preferred but I suppose I could tolerate open
Comfort is irrelevant. I need something durable as fuck. I mean a real iron man of headphones.
Don't care about signature at all, I would prefer them to be loud though
Sennheiser HD 20X, I forget which one exactly. And my current is some steelseries mic/headphone combo that has no model number on it.
Wireless would also be preferred but I mostly care about durability.

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

New pad day!

Whats something with good detail and great mid/highs in the 200-400 euro range(beside hd600)?
is akg k712 pro good? What about if I save some more for beyer 1990 or amiron would it be worth it?

idk what it is about the brown pads on the 007 and those but they are so god damn sexy and I can't quite put my finger on why

They look ugly as shit, what are you high on?

Does this exist:
>comfy circumaural closed headphones
>wireless, but not bluetooth (don't like latency and compression. Just a powered 3.5mm transmitter)
>either great battery life or very convenient charging (e.g. wireless charging from a stand)
>

that's why I said I can't quite put my finger on it. maybe it's because they look more like skin, and then it makes me think about plush titties pressed on your ears

>Expensive Gimmicks: The Headphone
> >$100

k712 is great, 1990 is probably better by wouldn't be as comfy.

Yay. Looks like my msr7GM now :P

>If not, what's the closest I can get?

These are my first real pair of headphones. Haven't even had them a year. Time to try something new? Driving them with Micca OriGen

no shit

is fiio d3 good for desktop?
dont wanna spend 100 on a dac

ill take em

what are you wearing today idol trash?

Are you aware it's not USB? The MiniUSB port is for power only; you'll need an optical audio out on your motherboard to use it.

Otherwise, it's fine. Look up a blind test of DACs. Nobody can tell the difference. No DAC you buy today is going to hurt the sound you hear. The only reason a USB DAC is useful at all vs. onboard sound is the very real interference mobo audio tends to have.

A blue pajama. Umi colored.

what is your next headphone purchase after the msr7?

does my mobo have one?
gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H170-HD3-rev-10#sp

idk much about audio ports and cables desu

It has a header on the mobo where you could add one, but doesn't have one on the rear I/O, no.

I would just get a USB one to save the hassle. I was happy with this one: amazon.co.uk/Signstek-Coaxial-Converter-Decoder-Analogue/dp/B00XY5ORCK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1517015058&sr=8-3&keywords=usb dac

(the spdif ports are out, not in. A bit strange but doesn't affect me since I don't use them.)

Did you buy them used? If not, Monoprice had a 5 year warranty on them, get a new/fixed pair

I see many anons posting pics of HD600s. What should I know about them? Are they a meme or are they the real deal?

So I got $300 and I can't decide if I should buy

Sennheiser HD 579 + Fiio A3
or
A new phone Honor 7X + FAD e3000

My current phone a Moto E4 just can't drive my current headphones JVC HARX 300, I mean sounds like complete anemic shit, plug the same headphone into my Logitech Z2300 control pod and it gets 5 times louder and rumbles.

I'm kinda leaning towards the new phone Final Audio e3000, because the Sennheiser have that long ass shitty cord and plus the Fiio A3 is going make it a bulky setup.

What do you think?

Speaker talk aloud?

Good speakers for Rock/Metal, Movie Soundtracks... Well I listen to everything depending what I'm feeling but mainly Rock/Metal.

300-400 USD budget. Passive as I have a good amp.

Thinking some Polks.

>2018
>he hasn't improved his dynamic contrast warmth and resolution yet
i shiggy diggy

What bullshittery is that thing?

That being said, get used magnepans.

They are the real deal. Minimal googling will confirm that. These are legendary good.
$280 buys you HD600. Get that. Don't put amps/dacs in your budget: The headphone matters way more than those.

Seriously though. What is really the point of devices like that? I know its snake oil.

I don't want a $280 HP though. I've heard good things about the HD 600, but I don't need nor want them.

I was leaning towards Audio Technica WS 1100is for only $130 or the HD 579 for $120, I just don't think my phone will drive them if they can't drive the JVC 300s

Now I've researched the FAD e3000 and for $55 they hit well above their weight.

A new phone would just be a bonus.

>What should I know about them?
They are the finest headphones ever manufactured.

We have a resident HD600 autist, so take what he says with a grain of salt. They are good headphones, but they are not the "best headphones in the world"
Look into the HD6XX on Massdrop.

>Massdrop
I'm not waiting a decade to get headphones in the mail

>Budget
150-200
>Location
USA
>Source
Xperia XZ1 Compact, eventually may get a Fiio X3 (3rd Gen)
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Comfort level
Something soft with replaceable cushions or custom molded
>Sound signature
neutral

I have MDR-V6 and I'm looking to upgrade. Should I get ATH-M50x or DT 770 250 ohm? I like neutral sound signatures but I'm fine with the extra bass of those two since I can always adjust my EQ a bit lower.
My Xonar U5 that I got for free should be able to drive the DT 770 I think since I don't blast my music.

thats why you order a dragon dildo to keep you busy until hd6xx arrive

>Budget
>Source
GPD Win / iPhone X
>Type of headphone
full size
>Open or closed
either or
>Comfort level
open to all kinds, portability is my goal with these though.
>Sound signature
prefer bass but not required
>Past headphones
ATHm50 going strong for about 5 years now. old version of Sony MDRv6.

am I right to think the grado SR80e are a good replacement for my old MDRV6s as travel headphones?

Grados are not good for any use. They sound very bad.

If it pleases you

Takstar Pro 82

These feet are pretty good, but the ones in the last OP were excellent.

huh. back a few years ago on Sup Forums they were all anyone ever recommended but I thought they were ugly. now that ive grown to like the look, apparently we've decided they're bad?

Can anyone vouch for these? Admittedly I love the way they look. Found them on Can Picker and they have flattering pros.

I have Grados. Waste of 250. Wide open soundstage but thats it. Comfort is shit and the high end just kills your ears after 5 minutes. Really disappointed.

30 dollar Monoprice retros slay them in everything and they were a fraction of the price. Just had to change the pads.

>Not keeping the goat MDRv6
Pleb

>Texas
Where at
Also hd558

Vol. 2 fucking when?

Audioquest make diamond coated cables they have been in the business of snake oil for a long time

>a few years ago on Sup Forums they were all anyone ever recommended
Must have been more than "a few" years ago because I don't remember them ever being heavily recommended and I've been in these threads for years. They're uncomfortable, treble-heavy, distorted, ringing garbagephones.

I've been using gaming headphones for several years (Astros, A40s then A50s)
I really, really love my A50s, they sound really good to me and they're so comfortable I barely feel them, the cups go around my ears and don't touch them at all, and they're non-bluetooth wireless.

But, I was told that gamer headphones are terrible quality, so I used canpicker to find the OPPO PM-3, which at $899 seemed to be the highest quality closed-back I could find, seemingly on-par with the HD 800s. (can't do open backs because of other people in my playspace)
I read a lot of reviews, and despite being faux leather they all said the cups were very comfortable and that they went around your ears, not on them. Sounded like the A50s I was used to, and with everyone praising the audio quality I decided to order them off Amazon.

Arrived today, and I'm displeased. The cans are smaller than my astros, and the cups are tiny compared to what I thought. They don't go around my ears at all, they in face fold the tops of my ears in and rest on my lobes, and the inside is so shallow it brushes the middle of my ear, and with the leather and how sealed they are after 10 minutes my ears feel sweaty.
The sound quality is great, sure, I'm impressed, but it has no bass. Especially when compared to the powerful rumble of my shitty gamer headphones. And at max volume, it's still much much quieter and I'm not sure why. And the sound, while good, makes all instruments sound separate, like different sounds together to make the song instead of a single song, which to someone unaccustomed to that sound is jarring and odd.

I could get an amp but reviews said these headphones specifically didn't need it, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I always dreamed about being an elite audiophile, laying back and just enjoying music in the best quality and comfort... But this is neither quality or comfortable, and just makes me miss my Astros.
What should I do? Should I give up my dream and settle for gamer cans?

should have got t50rps my dude. pm3's are great, but are neutral.

You paid $899 for an Oppo PM-3? What the fuck?
camelcamelcamel.com/OPPO-PM-3-Closed-Back-Magnetic-Headphones/product/B00UW0FZWQ?context=search

>$300 budget
Buying a lesser headphone and an amp/dac for an end result than will be way worse than getting a plain HD600 isn't smart.
>I've heard good things about the HD 600
So buy them instead of throwing your money away. Not convinced? Go look up some reviews or something.

>oppo
What is that

>$899
>oppo pm 3
i seriously hope you didnt pay that much.
oppodigital.com/headphones-pm-3/

Why are you replacing your V6?

Wooooow
Nice website, assholes

it was around 2007-2008. at that time, grado in general was praised as the best of the best in these threads. not across the board, but for certain genres and higher price points.

>$10/pair
eat shit grado-havers for jacking up my hd414 pad prices with your stupid goddamn "quarter mod" or whatever the fuck

I don't have them anymore

I bet you used his Amazon referral link, too.

just get these bad boys en-us.sennheiser.com/high-end-headphones-audiophiles-hd-820

Anyone got anything to say about these new prettybois?

I feel ashamed

looks like it needs another layer or two of barbecue paint so it takes longer than 20 minutes to wear away

OK, that makes sense. That's not a few years ago, that's a decade ago. There's a lot more objective data floating around these days than there was a decade ago, and that objective data is pretty clear in showing that Grados suck ass from a straw.

happening

>objective
Isn't it pretty much meaningless to try to "objectively" analyse a pair of headphones? If your oscilloscope/signal analyser/spreadsheet says it's shit but the listener loves it, isn't that what's relevant? Human hearing is pretty weird and wooly anyway. We aren't computers with microphones attached.

Now if you mean blind tests to rule out price-tag induced placebo effects, ABX to prove they can't be distinguished from cheaper cans, etc- that's different.

>Isn't it pretty much meaningless to try to "objectively" analyse a pair of headphones?
No.

Maybe I used the wrong word. Is it /productive/ to do that? What is the point of buying a headphones that's great in paper unless you can tell the difference? It gets to a point where you're essentially admitting you can't tell and are just paying for the placebo of the "better" numbers.

Or are you saying that you /can/ tell the difference? Ever done a blind test (I realise that's harder with headphones since you can feel them)?

Some things are easier to hear in a blind test than others. It's not exactly difficult to tell the difference between a headphone with a rollercoaster frequency response like a Grado and a headphone with a relatively flat frequency response like an HD600.

If it's obvious from a subjective listening test- this pair sounds better than that pair- sure. But I was replying to this:
>There's a lot more objective data floating around these days than there was a decade ago
Which implies that said data is the only way to tell a difference.

>Which implies that said data is the only way to tell a difference.
It doesn't. You read it that way, but it doesn't.

To buy? I love planar magnetics and they look amazing. Not many reviews and any I find seem to compare them to 400i and 560s of which I haven't used either.

I own two pairs of headphones. They're both very cheap (I think

It makes sense, but you're wrong. You either haven't undertaken the effort to understand how objective measurements relate to your own hearing/taste or you are simply too unintelligent to grasp this concept. I'm hoping it's just the former. I've done enough listening and research in this hobby to understand how measurements relate to my own hearing and taste, and it's clear you haven't.

You are wording it as if it has happened already.

Let me put it this way: I am well aware of what kind of bass/midrange/treble balance I prefer in my audio, and I am well aware of how frequency response measurements like the attached picture here relate to my preference. While there is no substitute for actually listening to the headphone, I can tell with reasonable certainty whether a headphone is going to at least come close to my preferred tonal balance by looking at a frequency response chart like this, and so can many other people. I can tell, looking at this image, that I probably won't like this headphone because of a steep sub-bass rolloff, muddy and boosted midbass and harsh, peaky treble.
Objective data is a valuable resource for those who understand how to read it and how it relates to their own subjective preferences.

For a more extreme example, I can tell with 100% certainty that I would not like this headphone. I've done enough listening and I've played with EQs enough to know that a nearly 20 dB bass boost, as shown here, is far too much bass for my liking.
The other thing is, subjective reviews are not as reliable as objective data. Subjective reviews can be flat out incorrect for many reasons, including expectation bias, post purchase rationalization and simple ignorance. I will trust objective data from credible sources far more than the subjective reviews of random people on the internet because objective data does not suffer from the above described human flaws.
Does objective data have a 100% success rate in terms of accurately representing what I will actually hear? No. Is it a substitute for actually listening to the headphones? No. Will objective data from credible sources more reliably represent my actual listening experience than random subjective reviews on the internet? Absolutely.

should I pay 40-50$ for getting fulla 2 instead of e10k/ smsl m3? hd 600

Don't get any of those for an HD600.

monoprice.com/product?p_id=11567

Save and get o2/ol dac. My fulla 2 doesn't really cut it for my 600s.

>ywn have bluetooth electrostats