Grandmother found this cute little laptop called a Sylvania "Wireless Mobile Internet Device"...

Grandmother found this cute little laptop called a Sylvania "Wireless Mobile Internet Device", even though i've already got a laptop.
Considered throwing it in my bag and taking it with me when classes started up again for notes and the occasional inclass program, but looking at the specs I don't think this thing would even work if I opened c9 in a browser.

Has 128 MB of RAM and only 2 GB of storage, and looking at what people are saying, the only way to upgrade the storage is if you add a SD card, or I though of adding a flash drive with significant space since it's got three ports on it.
Anyone here have any experience with this thing and know if I can open it up and try and make it better? Still in the box right now and haven't bothered with it just yet.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nCHHAFyp9I0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>128MB
if you follow the minimalism general, you might be able to get a setup that uses less than that, but as soon as you open a browser that's not w3m, you're gonna be fucked.

128MB is enough for a slim GNU/Linux Distro.
You'll probably want to dedicate half the builtin storage to swap and use an SD card for /home.

Not much good over a modern laptop, but It could work, depending on what you want to do with it.

It has either an ARM or MIPS CPU, both slow as hell
Could be fun if you're bored, but even the first gen raspberry pi is much faster

CHALLANGE ACCEPTED.

Gonna order one, install Damn Small linux or Puppy, and fucking do this for a week or two.

I don't think you can find a distro that can run on whatever chink MIPS cpu this thing has.

Me again. I'mma need you to post more that "wireless mobile internet device" I need alike an sku, a model or model number, serial or something. I'm sure there's a model make on it.

Debian has a MIPS port, and there are a number of obscure distros besides.

Me again, I found it!!

Its a SYLVANIA SYNET07526 VIA 8505 Processor 400 MHz 7" 128MB Memory 2GB Internal Storage HDD Netbook

I found one for a few bucks. I'm ordering it... Will follow through.

Gonna desodder the parts I can upgrade and place newer shit in it though. I'm gonna turn this POS into a umpc.

I've got one, your options are Windows CE with no software or Android Froyo. Now that I'm more experienced I'm sure I could root Android and install a Debian chroot but still, not doing much with those specs.

Oh yea, forgot to shitpost to your lack of knowlege. Lots of distros can run on this device, but I know, you're not here for tech, you're here for the 4chin memes.

West did a vid about these things!
youtube.com/watch?v=nCHHAFyp9I0

Try tiny core.

All of the reviews for it say that it's garbage

I don't give a fuck about the opinions of others. I can tinker with electrionics, I have an entire workshop at my disposal.

Tinker away. It's still going to be a shitty experience due to the limited hardware and small, unusual form factor

You really shouldn't have ordered it, wish I looked back at this thread inbetween matches to check this thread lol

According to the manual it's running Windows 6 CE

Well then have at it my friend. [spoiler]Checked.[/spoiler]

Nigga please, I already found its logic board, 8505 processors, and microcomponents. I've already done the measurements too, I can fit a ARM banana pi into this with ease. The BV07SY board is so cheap, I can afford to play with it and order more if I fuck it up. This is kids play to me, but your pessimism only makes my dick hard. I have litterally everytool you can imagine for the job.

Don't worry about my hobby, its not for brainlets like you.

I already ordered 2, 4 logic boards, 2 banana pi's and the microcomponents.

I'm sad that no one here has tech as a hobby. This board makes me sad.

>desodder

I worked retail when those came out.

We got them for Black Friday and sold out instantly.

Most were returned because they were absolute shit.

So I mispelled desolder, sue me. You still can't do what I can.

It's more that i'm a poorfag (I did mention school; but I am working, just doesn't mean I can throw cash at all the parts I want)

Check out DIY. 90% of Sup Forums have never touched a soldering iron.

how can I be like you user

Don't let money stop you bro. I had to be poor to learn the hard way about what I wanted to do. I became a Comp Eng from litterally nothing.

Trust me, I'm there a lot.

You're not the only one with an electronics workstation, you're coming off like an elitist.

Me?
I pirated tons of books and videos, practiced on old "for parts" electronics and learned the hard way about CE and EE. I started at community college, and took it seriously. Moved up, ect... I used to visit county auctions for electronics, I could buy an old Pentium pc, PPC G3s for small bucks. People get rid of tech all the time, its uncanny. I reccomend police auctions or small business, they are normally nice enough to give out stuff.

Okay. Thanks for your opinion.

>learned the hard way about CE and EE
What do you mean? Did you have an electrical engineering background to begin with? I've always been more interested in tinkering with hardware than software, but I don't know where to start.

>I reccomend police auctions or small business, they are normally nice enough to give out stuff.
You get any good parts from those places, or at least enough to make something workable?

bumping this question

Where did she manage to find one of those?

> desodder
AmE was a mistake.