What distro should I use on my main machine?

I’m done with Windows after a bunch of mishaps and I’ve decided to switch to Linux. So, I need a Linux distro that just werks and is somewhat botnet free. I’ve been looking at Mint but I want some professional advice from you Sup Forumsentoomen. All I do is browse the web and use Libre Office products and play the occasional game. What do you all think?

Ubuntu 16.04.

I'm enjoying gentoo

He's brand new to Linux. Probably never touched it before in his life, and just wants a simple setup to do his browsing, office, and gaymen.

OP, just go with what I said

manjaro or debian with riced xfce is my go-to after distro hopping and fucking around for a couple of years, bsds are shit don't even go there.

Right now I’m trying Ubuntu 17.10, but I was a little shocked when I saw some Amazon shit pre-installed with the OS. Is the Amazon botnet on Ubuntu easily removable?

It's just a web app. You should just be able to get rid of it.
It used to be a lot more serious about a year or so ago, but Stallman got pissed and they toned it down.

Perfect, thank you.

>based Stallman

Also, are you using it with Wayland? If so, how is it?

He is our homie that never stops!

Ubuntu or Linux Mint. They're the best Linux distros out there. Lubuntu, Xubuntu or Ubuntu Mate if you have a less powerful computer (below 4gb of ram)

I’m not sure, how do I know if I’m using that?

Void GNU/Linux

Try ps ax | wayland?

Nope, command not found. I guess it hasn't come to Ubuntu yet.

ps is a standard command in the GNU coreutils. What the hell?
But anyway, try "echo $WAYLAND_DISPLAY"

im a fan of chakra based off of arch

has kde plasma desktop and pacman and is much easier to install than arch

its a clean and straightforward distro on the surface with a lot under the hood for whenever you want to start tinkering

I would suggest installing Debian. Should your computer not detect wifi driver software for your computer hardware, install the live image, non-free ISO image. Most likely, you will need non-free ISO images these days.

I guess you're using it then. Cool.
Any screen tearing? That was one of the things Wayland is supposed to fix.

Debian + Xfce + Yandex = Russia

clear linux

From the small video snippets I've seen and a quick visit to YouTube, I noticed zero screen tearing.

>I’m done with Windows after a bunch of mishaps
What do people do that this happens?

I've tried a ton of distros including gentoo and arch and nowadays I just install mint because it just werkz and I'm lazy. it's almost as comfortable to use as 7 (which was my preferred OS for a while) and everything works reasonably well out of the box. The integration isn't as flashy as fedora but I can depend on everything to function as expected.

Certain things like bumblebee just seem to be consistently shitty on every distro I try and take some fucking with to get working but the distro won't get in your way of fixing it. Ended up getting bumblebee working just reading some year old blog post. Alternatively just use AMD because nvidia is shit.

Ubuntu

I did install a few shady programs that caused my machine to end up in a loop of “Preparing Windows” for some unknown task. I admit fault for that but what really made me switch is a completely separate occasion in which I logged in and suddenly I didn’t have the permissions required to use anything with the GUI. Keyboard shortcuts worked just fine, but if I clicked on any part of the GUI, it would throw an error that I did not have any permissions. That included system critical programs like explorer and task manager. After this I completely formatted my drive and started trying Linux distros.

The main problems weren’t these one off things though. The constant 20% CPU usage and 5GB of RAM usage on a brand new install was way too taxing on my ThinkPad. I quickly came to the realization that I don’t use my computer for anything that a Linux machine couldn’t do, so Windows isn’t really needed. Every Linux distro I’ve tried uses under 2GB of RAM at most and my CPU usage stays under 5% at idle.

Overall, my experience has improved dramatically since switching over.

I just installed Manjaro on my thinkpad and it's pretty nice

Lubuntu lts

mint and ubunut are good for nebies, but debian is better (with a little effort)

mate is a good Desktop Environment

manjaro

Ubuntu/Debian/Fedora/openSUSE/Manjaro
Choose and install
/Thread

That is actually a very useful app you want to have to do your Amazon shopping on

I usually recommend Debian for a main rig you don't want any surprises with.
You configure it how you want and it just works forever unless you go out of your way to fuck it up.

DON'T listen to the other brainlets ITT user, install Korora MATE. You can thank me later.

Ubuntu if u no care
Debian if u're a freetards

Debian is T-Rex's fossilated shit tier.

Well, Debian will be hard to configure for a beginner, and Ubuntu will break or be shit no matter what you do with it. I've been using Linux for more than 10 years as a desktop OS and Ubuntu has always had some sort of obscure fuckup less than 6 months in that forced me to reinstall it. Arch and anything derived from it isn't worth your time no matter how advanced a user you are. Gentoo can be really good but is not for beginners. OpenSUSE is good but has dogshit package management.

I'd say you should go with Fedora. Be sure to use XFCE (toasters) or KDE (at least 4GB of RAM and an SSD) with it. I use Fedora because it's stable and has up to date packages. I use it on my desktop mostly as a hypervisor to run virtual machines because of the great QEMU support. I have a dual GPU setup and a 12 core Xeon with 64GB of RAM, so I just toss a GPU and a couple cores and 8GB of RAM at each VM and they work great. I can easily switch between OS X High Sierra, Windows 7, Windows 10 LTSB, and another Fedora installation, all without rebooting my machine. I can even emulate non-x86 architectures like PPC and MIPS and ARM, so I can run things like MacOS 9 too. It's pretty great.

>muh bleeding edge
use sid