/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eVTXPUF4Oz4
pcpartpicker.com/list/wXNWYr
pcpartpicker.com/list/N9mwM8
pcpartpicker.com/list/WMwjjc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>order parts too quickly in a row
>bank stops one of the orders

I JUST WANT TO BUILD

lol my bank emailed me with a link to confirm the purchase was legit... didn't stop the transaction tho... get a better bank.

my bank like "are u sure dude... we both know you can't afford that shit" im like "fuck u bank i need more fps"

I mean they usually don't do it. I guess I just somehow managed to never spend over 1k at once despite dropping several hundred on other things at once in the past.

>256GB optane SSD = $99
>4GB DDR4 RAM = $80
why do I feel like Intel could have something to do with DDR4 prices being so high...

RE EEEEEEEEEEEEE GE TRYZEN OIUT OF THE OP YOU FUCKING SHILLLL IT WAS OUR YEARRRRRRRR

Go back to 2011.

PENTIUM MEMORIAL

RIP Sweet prince

1993-2018

youtube.com/watch?v=eVTXPUF4Oz4

does anyone know when gpu prices will go down? i want to sell my current card given how the market is right now, but i wont be able to game until i can get a new card.
a month, 3 months?

NOOOOOOOOO FUCK YOU SHILL IM GOING TO END IT ALL

>does anyone know when gpu prices will go down?
when amd makes a new gaymen gpu

so never

>a month, 3 months?
Try 6 months at least.

sell me your vega 64 for $450

Alright if this order for the processor is confirmed then it really is some kind of $1k limit on individual transactions. Literally just made an over $800 one moments previous and the items are on the way.

RIP, the 4c/4t Ryzen until be the minimum recc if it's the same price as the G5400.

Not til the launch of the next midrange graphics cards, so several months

>reeeeee shitlel stutterfire 30%
Is what you're really thinking, right?

>tfw pure autism stops you from buying the final components from your local store
>tfw you find out they do free deliveries on stuff over £50
>tfw need to copy remaining folder over to backup, but it's 155GB and it's going to take forever
>tfw check back up drive and it already has my music folder in it
>tfw means I only need to move 85GB

I forgot what optimism felt like desu senpai baka

So I started my first build, ha she mate come round and test everything. My motherboard is definitely fucked. So I'm returning it and buying a new one. Should I get another processors as well just in case? Or should it be alright. I had that problem where the pc starts but there's literally no display at all.

>>G4560/G4600

Kill yourself.

Anyone? I presume the cpu is fine as all fans and leds were powering on.

Is it not a problem with your monitor?

No. As I said, everything was tried. My mates pc was able to connect as well. My motherboard is just fucked. My GPU is fine. His GPU definitely worked, but when he out it in my system it did nothing.

I just need to know if my cpu is fine, because everything was powering on just no display so I assume it worked but the motherboard is a load of shit.

Maybe a PC repair shop will let you test your CPU on a spare mobo, I dunno. Otherwise you'll have to wait for the new one to arrive.

Impossible to know without testing.

got an i5 4460, 16GB RAM and a 970 and it feels a bit sluggish during games (R6 and such) is a gen jump (Ryzen or 7th/8th gen Intel better or should I just go for a use 4790k and be done with it?

Get a 4790k, it's still very good for games and you wont have to pay out the ass for overpriced DDR4 ram.

I'll just wait and see then. It's brand new Ryzen 1500x and seemed alright. If not then I'll return it and shit.

I'd like to build a box that'll be used for a few VMs - some lightweight ones and a storage one - would something like this be okay/recommended?

>USB drive to boot VMware
>SSD for VMs
>~6x4TB SATA drives for a storage VM
>storage VM is FreeBSD with the OS on the SSD and the 6x4TB added as a zfs pool

FreeBSD apparently doesn't have the spectre/meltdown patches, maybe try another option.

I imagine it will by the time I do this. is it an okay setup or not?

why?

Bought this "used" 4TB external for $70 off amazon warehouse. Looks completely new in box with warranty and everything. How'd I do? Never bought used parts before.

Bretty good, provided the SMART values look alright.

Could do a chkdsk to be autistically sure about it.

this new product positioning makes much more sense
i3 are 4 core, pentium 2c/4t, theres literally now a distinctive feature for all even for the retarded customer.

I asked in an old thread, but no one replied. What are KingSpec SSDs like? It's ~£75 for a 250GB WD Blue, but I can get a KingSpec 360GB for the same price. Is it worth getting or is it too shit?

Yah, looks fine.
I'm not too worried about it considering the low power hours.

$142 for a pentium makes no sense at all when you can get an i3 for less and an R5 for almost the same price.

Use your brain man. Come on. Why would it be that cheap?

I just thought that some days the sun even shines on the dog's ass (._. )

The chinese lettering should have alerted you instantly.

I've literally just this second seen it, there was only a pic of the top and then I found one of the back. I guess I'll just wait.

Crucial is about as "budget" as I feel like going with drives. Have their MX300 1.1TB SSD and it's been going strong for a while.

I'll look into Crucial in that case. I was just going to buy a small SSD for my OS and some programs desu, but I've heard about Windows taking up huge amounts of space so it would probably be a waste of time doing that.

For an OS drive I'd suggest 250-512GB. I have a "120GB" OS drive (soon to be replaced with 512GB) and because every program lazily dumps half of its shit into the C drive, I'm constantly hitting the space limit. 250-ish is probably enough, but 512 is nice.

Alright lads, what's my first upgrade? RAM? If ram then how do I find out what ram I have? I've forgotten.

This is my ram, how do I even tell what my ram is? I know I have 8 gigs and it was a Hyperx product.

If you don't remember where you bought it, you can just shut the PC down and pull a stick out to read the writing on it.

Thanks dude. I would be happy enough with a 250GB, but if I'm going to wait I suppose I might as well just wait until I have the money for 512GB.

Thank you, I might have to do that.

Yeah, always check for sales too. Newegg and Amazon constantly discount shit for random reasons and the big holidays.

I've had this gpu for a while and looking to replace it with something new. I currently see it's phased out, as usual. What's the equivalent?

I'll give you $900 for that.

At the moment, this GPU is more priceless than $900. Fucking sad.

How do you know if the cpu is fried? So my pc had the typical "Turns on, no display" issue and my mate brought around his pc and everything worked in his system. My monitor works too, tried dvi, vga and hdmi. So we came to the conclusion that the motherboard was fucked. I'm not surprised, it's a ASRock pro 4 b350m am4, saw a a lot of shit reviews on them. I presume the cpu is fine, as that's required for the fans to be in turning and leds to power on. So no need to replace that as well.

If I plan to stream do I need a Ryzen 5 or will the 3 be enough?

by testing it in a mainboard that's known to work

A guy in my building is selling his PC for 60GBP so I've said I'll take it. Only thing that's missing is hard drive. He's given a vague spec:

>i5
>16GB RAM
>GTX 660 Ti

Am I right in thinking that the RAM has to be DDR3 and is therefore worth the purchase price itself? My plan here is to see what kind of i5 he's got in there, and if it's equal to or better than my FX-6300 I'll do a hybrid build between his machine and mine, then sell the spare parts. I don't see any way I can't end up making money here.

Based, I'm not sure how great the deals are on Newegg in Britain, but I know the Amazon ones are pretty cool so I'll keep an eye out for one of those.

Don't have one. Oh well. Might run into Maplins tomorrow and buy a Ryzen 3 and only open it if the thingy is fucked as well.

dead CPUs are extremly rare. Just RMA the mainboard, if it doesn't work get a new CPU. Chances are it will work

go for it, you're right, no way you'll make no money on that one

tbf if its not the i5 750 you'll be better off with the i5. assuming 660ti and i5 bought at the same time you'll def get better perf.
also yes all i5 has to have DDR3 so yeah for 60 britbongs thats pretty dank

Will do. Really pissed off with this. Was planning to be up and running by Friday and have a nice fun weekend. First build as well. Hope it works tomorrow.

always annoying. At least you didn't end up searching for the problem for hours

pcpartpicker.com/list/wXNWYr
Thoughts? Changes?

Yeah, I looked at the timings and if it was all bought at the same time it's likely the i5 is going to beat my FX-6300. Just waiting for the guy to confirm he wants to sell me it and I'll go pick it up and report back.

Just out of interest you don't live in the North East of England do you?

Naa, south east.

Well I sort of did. Thought it was the PSU, so bought a new one but no change. Gonna refun the old one though. Spent quite a fair amount of time on it but now I know the issue thank goodness.

does it make sense to build a pc and then wait to put a graphics card in? ive got this list:

pcpartpicker.com/list/N9mwM8

but im like a gpu doubles the price lol. can a pc run with no graphics card at all? i have no idea help

You can probably make more than 60 selling just the graphics card in the current market.

Don't take my word as gospel, but there's definitely a few places there you could be saving money that you could put towards a GPU.

mate, if you have to ask these questions you really shouldn't be building

haha gimme a break im a noob. i almost bought a pre built but yall convinced me otherwise

even at double msrp? i know i could get smaller hdd components

just trying to help, Sup Forumsuy. Seriously it depends on if the CPU has integrated graphics. I don't think Ryzen does. You can probably buy a cheap used graphics card like a 750ti or something and sell it on once you get a good one without losing a lot of money.

Can't run Ryzen without a graphics card, but basically anything from the last 20 years will work. I'm sure some old ATi 5770 or whatever could keep your computer perfectly functional and able to do low end gaming until graphics cards become sane.

4790K is a good one. Replaced the 4770K which couldn't really be OC'd for shit.

Just installed my i7 8700k and fired 'er up. Who else here feeling #comfy?

first related thread in /g

so I have picrelated, what do?

>4gb DDR4 for 80 dollars

bullshit, I bought 16gb gaymen Corsair Vengeance overclocking ram for 200 dollars at a brick and mortar a couple months ago and another 16gb for 185 on ebay, 32gb for 385 dollars that's not bad, I remember when 1gb DDR400 of the same type of gaming ram with the Corsair LEDs was 400 dollars.

Memory for sure, hell even 2x 4gb to take advantage of dual channel and increased bandwidth

I went 4x 8gb for quad channel gloriousness.

Everything else looks good though, not a bad build at all.

Is that idling? If so, it looks a little spicy. How about GPU temps?

>Asus Zenith Extreme is a couple blocks away in the Amazon van
>all other parts arriving by Tuesday at the latest

also GPU watercooling question, I plan on adding a single 1080ti and adding two 80mm radiators in the back of the case in holes I've already drilled for them, if I put the GPU on a separate loop (the CPU is an AIO) do the blocks that go on the cards have pumps built into them or do I need to do that separate?

I've never done an open loop I haven't been around the stuff in a while but if I remember correctly, at least in 2002 when I had a DangerDen setup on my Athlon XP, the pump was a separate apparatus, then you needed the waterblock on whatever you were cooling, then that went out to a radiator, or two of them in my case, and from there into a resivoir and then back into the pump, did I get that right?

I think it depends more on how quickly you need it, what you need it for, and what your budget is. I had to swap the SSD for an HDD and got a shitter PSU, but by doing that I was able to pick up my GPU. I mean I still had my pants pulled down for it and ended up paying £180, but it meant I was able to get everything else and, almost, keep within my £700 budget. I also only got 8GB of RAM, but that's because the prices are so ridiculous. When they come back down I'll add another 8GB. As long as it works fine, I'll worry about the bells and whistles later.

enjoy that feeling of an imminent build, user

>Zenith Extreme

My nigga, run the 0804 BIOS if you want to bootable NVMe RAID 0 some disks together.

I already went through all of this stuff to make it work so if you have any questions save yourself some time and ask them here.

Been a while since I've actually bought a card, but holy shit this is just ridiculous. These miners are annoying as fuck. It's just like when I bought my 290 4 years ago.

>tfw had my parts for the last 4 days, but have no case

It's excruciating, I hope it comes tomorrow.

Not planning on RAID at the moment as I'm stretching the limits of my "budget" with this: pcpartpicker.com/list/WMwjjc

Planning to bolster my saving after this until either Titan Xp gets back in stock or just wait it out for Volta -80 Ti/big boy full-die Titan releases. Only then will I think about RAID.

GPU is about 56-65 C. It is under light load such as web browsing and torrents. Things goes bad if I play games, I have to use a cooling pad to keep FPS stable. I clean my laptop from dust, but it doesn't help a lot. Will I be able to replace the thermal paste? I have replaced it on my battle station, but laptop still frightens me.

Maybe try MSI Afterburner and use a more aggressive fan curve?

Oh and obviously gonna upgrade the monitors with the graphics card at that future time.

These are my specs for my current PC, but unfortunately my motherboard is fucked so I'm going to have a go at replacing it myself.

How can I be sure that the new motherboard I buy will be compatible with my system? Unfortunately, pcpartpicker doesn't have some of those components listed so I can't check on there.

Also, how hard is it for someone who doesn't know a huge amount about computers to replace a motherboard? Is it just as simple as following some basic instructions? Or is there something I should really know before starting?

Fan settings are locked, I'm unable to change it. The air stream from fan is pretty hot, so I guess it still dissipates the heat.

I think I've heard of heatsinks for laptops, basically big aluminum fin arrays that go on the bottom.