Switched to KDE today

Previously Xfce user

I've never been so productive, the menu is a masterpiece. Default KDE programs are much better than Xfce's and it actually uses less memory in certain places, only 400mb of memory on Debian.

>why arent you using kde

because i use cinnamon

Today I'm switching to it from gnome and looks like pretty comfy. Is it really good?

Because I use Windows 10 LTSB and I'm 143089613046834X more productive

Yeah, stable as a rock too. Used to be unstable but now has gotten its shit put together and is a lean DE

Thanks user, I'm gonna install it a see how it works

I am. It's a shame it took me like five years to realize that setting compositor backend to xrender makes it blazing fast on closed nvidia drivers.
I would have switched from MATE earlier if I had known that.

I wish more distros used it by default. Stuff like that would probably be more well known then.

I second this but I prefer the Budgie layout format (I can't wait until Budgie makes the switch to QT.) KDE is my number 2, with Gnome 3rd because I've seen many issues with program gtk compatibility and the ui feels like a potential phone ui (which isn't bad but stinks on the desktop for customizations.)

If you're using kde on debian I highly recommend turning off flat volumes in pulseaudio.

Updating programs for Windows is a nightmare. It limits deployability, but on the other hand linux really doesn't have a unified binary packaging format.

Linux is a must for programming and sys-admin, Windows is only great for .NET and proprietary programs. Windows AZURE server services can't compete with the extensive options docker, vsphere, kvm, and xen provide.

Plz anons, enable Wobbly Window decoration on maximum power for the lulz

Right click menu, you got a copy but no paste entry. KDE... how did you fuck that up!?

I was an Ubuntu user, after Unity went under I tried Gnome, I really tried but that bugged piece of crap was unbearable, installed Neon and haven't looked back since.

Oh, you seem to like KDE now? Do you think you can get used to it and have a comfortable and enjoyable expirience?

YOU THOUGHT WRONG, FAGGOT!!! THIS IS LINUX AND YOU CAN'T HAVE GOOD THINGS ! IT WILL CHANGE FOR THE WORSE AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT!

>>why arent you using kde
I am using KDE but it craps out when I use anything like openoffice.

xorg needs to die. if wayland could handle multiple monitors better I'd be on Gnome

I tried it the other day and was seriously disappointed. It's main issue is how bloated it is. I don't care so much about ram as all the shitty unneeded packages it installs.
For me the ideal desktop is minimal, lightweight, and fully user customizable. You may claim that KDE is this, but having to sludge through the bloat to configure it properly is much less intuitive than being able to modify everything with a few simple config files.
That's why I use openbox. When you've configured everything yourself it's much easier to fix things when they don't work like you want them to.

>breeze dark color scheme
>make animations faster
>move task bar to the side
Top comfy.

Yeah, proprietary nvidia drivers really do not like the opengl backend. I had to switch to xrender too.

But seriously, how is the compositing these days, with the proprietary nvidia drivers in particular.
I don't want my user interface to lag when I move and resize windows.

See and Set compositor backend to xrender and it will be fast as fuck. You will be missing the ebin desktop cube effects but that's about it.

Aye I'll give it a try

I love me some openbox on laptops and older hardware too but I wouldn't call having a lot of features "bloat" desu.
Gnome is bloated since it has no features and it still hogs resources like a motherfucker.

>switch to xrender
>blur behind my translucent window borders doesn't work anymore
Guess I'll have to stick to OpenGL.

That's 8 year old level hyperbole right there.
GTFO

I dislike having task bar to side but I actually just did everything you said

>He fell for the xfeces meme.
Welcome back to you're senses.

kde is blo...

With just kde I must have had nearly 2000 packages installed. Now, there's no issue with lots of packages if you're actually going to use them all, but most of what came with kde was useless to me. Also, call me retarded but I found the settings menu really confusing.
My open box setup has about 500 packages.

You are such an autistic faggot

What plasma version?

>Switched to KDE today

>alt+f2
>kwin_x11 restart
>enter
when the time comes you will know when to use this. Thank me later.

>Gentoo
Wow, if you compile the entire system yourself it only uses substantially more than almost any other option

how did you get past applications crashing more than windows 95