I need to vent Sup Forums

I need to vent Sup Forums.

I'm a developer, and I think I care too much about my job. And I think it's impacting my life negatively.

I keep trying to write good code, introduce best-practices for things, improve our dated code that was spagghetti'd together by various shitty devs before me, and produce good quality stuff.

But many of our other developers are just plain shitty, don't care, are outsourced pajeets, or have been there a long time and are set in their ways and not very open to change.
The higher ups are all about adding new features, getting more and more clients, all while neglecting the fact that our entire platform is old and in need of an entire re-write from the ground up.
There's so much I could do now even, to improve and modernize what we have, but there's never enough time to actually do it. Instead we get iterations of the same support and QA issues over and over again.

I think I care too much about making things better and it's eating away at me. Even when I'm at home on the weekends my mind is wandering to job-related stuff and trying to figure out different ways I can get my points across, or solve problems or improve our codebase, etc. etc. It's frustrating, constantly stressing me out, and eating away at my naturally chill and calm nature.

What do I do? How can I at least stop caring so much.... at least stop thinking about work stuff once the clock hits 5pm on the weekdays? ugh.

Protip: don't get emotionally invested in code

I'm slowly starting to realize that. It's so hard sometimes not to though. Hopefully I can get out of that habit soon

Just do what you have to do, do not give them an extra, anyway managers and bosses are mostly idiot normalfags that are good onlty at shitty office politics, if you love code and don't want to end hating code, just do your best, let others fuck their shit, and get a nice, beautiful personal coding project on the side for after hours / weekends. Also fuck the crunch, never get into that.

Thanks for the advice. I agree, I need to stop trying to give extra when it's clearly not working. One of the things i'm worried about with this whole problem is that I'll start losing my passion for coding, which I definitely don't want that to happen.
I do need to start up a new side project. Gonna get on that soon.

Everything sucks if you're a perfectionist.

So true

You chose the wrong field if you wanted people to appreciate a job well done.

I've been going through the same thing. I love technology, I grew up tinkering with machines and so when it came time for me to find work, the choice was obvious: I went into development because it was what I knew most about, and what I felt most passionate about. I started a software development company and, for several years, did what I knew best in order to make money.

But, over time, I realized that it was destroying my enjoyment of the act of creating software. That, and this user is correct: Nobody wants to think about your work unless it's broken. Unless you're working with bleeding edge shit, nobody will ever congratulate you for doing things the best way you can- they'll just question why you didn't do it the way everyone else might.

So, I left software development and entered computer-aided manufacturing. I still create things, which is the core of what I loved about programming, and I still use technical skills that my employer finds valuable. When I come home, I know my time is my own, and I enjoy programming again. I work on my own projects, some open source projects, and I have a clean work/life balance again.

I suggest, if you really enjoy coding and want to build great things, to find a field you can apply your current skills to, ideally one that still gives you what coding does, that lies decidedly outside the software development industry.

Your passion should be your hobby- what you gain from those skills can then fuel a fulfilling career elsewhere. You come first.

>Your passion should be your hobby
This, people that live to work aren't living their lives correctly.

I can sympathise dude. I too started off all eager and ready to do things properly, only to be met with apathy from upper management and ended up on a final written warning for insubordination. Eventually I thought "fuck it, if they want shitness and mediocrity then that's what i'll give them", paradoxically they seemed happy with that, and I just coasted along getting a paycheck until I had the opportunity to get out of there. Going above and beyond isn't always rewarded if you're working for someone else, it seems.

They recently made a faggot general for this. Take it there

Holy hell, start searching for a new job.
Pass your resume along to a bunch of headhunters.
Working for a good company with other people who care about best practices and writing code with those people is the best, don't settle for a shit job.

>But many of our other developers are just plain shitty, don't care, are outsourced pajeets, or have been there a long time and are set in their ways and not very open to change.
>The higher ups are all about adding new features, getting more and more clients, all while neglecting the fact that our entire platform is old and in need of an entire re-write from the ground up.

Your job is to GENERATE VALUE, not to write good code. Or innovative code. Or rewrite code.

Be glad that you're employed. Pick up some hobbies. Stop being such an exploitable schmuck.

Start searching for a new job, don't let your current position make you hate something you love. It's better to leave.
>to improve and modernize what we have,
>Instead we get iterations of the same support and QA issues over and over again.
If you don't see the value of these things for a company you'll be excellent for middle management

Yeah that's how it is where I am (not IT btw). Upper managers don't give a shit, There boss is just counting the days till retirement hits, The big boss over us and other divisions is a fuckwit no nothing who has no backround in what we do and who enjoys making the people under him life's as hard as possible. Co-workers get huge pay bumps while I get shit even though I work as hard as everyone else. So I said fuck it just go in and do my shit and leave, I don't kiss ass, which might be the problem, I don't play that game

Its your job. Which means if shit hits the fan its not your problem. You warned them, you told them to do the right thing but they ignored you. So it is not your responsibility anymore.

Keep producing good code for stuff you write but don't be overly ambitious.
At the end of the day no one is really going to thank you for your additional work and its just time and effort wasted for other people that you only temporarily depend on.

Do you have a family or gf? If not, there's nothing wrong with you wanting to work more than you have to. Maybe you should go freelance or start your own business, where you write code from scratch or collaborate with people as engaged as you are.

Hi OP, you are not a faggot, but I think that you still lowkey like dicks.
So, stop getting emotionally attached to your companies' software as to your own one - it's not. You have two ways to manage your shit:

- you let everything slide, wait 'til shit breaks, then blame pajeets and offer to your management to rewrite more than half of that crap for a career position advancement with a raise.

- you man up and make a half an hour slide presentation on how it would help the business to fix the recurring bugs **once** by spending a month of your time instead of just leaking money there all the time. Repeat for every time this shit happens. Our job is meant to create value, and the management has no idea about what the fuck do we even do, so **never** fucking ever say anything remotely technical in your slides. Just say that you're their lord and savior who can fix shit.

If they care about their product - they'll accept, otherwise just wait and see shit hitting the fan in slow motion from the close perspective - for it means that you get to fix that and be paid for it, which is basically choosing the first way, but learning to deal with this kind of stuff on your own.

Us employed devs are a naive bunch - we think that the shit we write is meant to improve lives, serve people, and all that mumbo jumbo. We're terribly wrong - it's there to make money for our boss overlords. There's a reason that disgusting pile of steaming shit that's wordpress is so widespread.

So, yeah, don't worry too much, don't do overtime, and if you want to see beautiful code made by you - write some FOSS shit on your own, or continue suffering just like you're doing now.

>Its your job. Which means if shit hits the fan its not your problem. You warned them, you told them to do the right thing but they ignored you. So it is not your responsibility anymore
This motherfucker gets it.

Thinking is an active process you choose to participate in. Stop worrying, you pussy.
>oh but I can't
Yes you can, stop being a faggot and just chill out.

Look for a different job. Sounds like you outgrown everybody there.

my HR is great and helps a lot with stuff like that

Why not present your ideas to the higher ups?
Request a serious talk with them and propose changes, they usually pay attention to anything that might get them more money or more productivity. Show them positive numbers and they will quickly appoint you to lead those changes.

Stop whining and be proactive, user.