Emacs is the best text editor.

Prove me wrong.

Other urls found in this thread:

ide.atom.io/
emacswiki.org/emacs/FootSwitches
archived.moe/g/thread/32128736/#32128818
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Prove me wrong.
Impossible, because Emacs is the best text editor.

Swap Ctrl and Caps Lock. Get a foot pedal. There are lots of ways to avoid injuring yourself using Emacs.

>ide.atom.io/

Checkmate, OP.

No. And if that's the best you can offer, it truly cements OP's claim that Emacs is the best.

Come back when you can even compete with vim, let alone Emacs.

Call me when it stops being an electron-based 100 megaton turd.

You use an electron app to edit fucking TEXT files? Really nigga?

Proudly made with love and JS

>Get a foot pedal
Lol'd hard

emacs
more like peemacs
poo poo pee peemacs
haha
vim is superior

emacswiki.org/emacs/FootSwitches

>doesn't have toolbars disabled

>emacswiki.org/emacs/FootSwitches
Wtf

it doesn't come default with Gnu

the virgin pianolet vim
the chad organ-player emacs

>uses the GUI version

I'm worried about the reputation it has around apparently giving its users chronic wrist pain.

>not running M-x term, then emacs -nw
>never experiencing terminal emacs inside Gui emacs

Just install spacmacs, it just work fine out of the box. At the beginning I switched to this from vim to learn emacs but the shortcuts are so convenient that i don't want vanilla emacs anymore.
Just install Spacemacs with vim keybind during the install and your wrists will stay in peace.

Vim is superior because I've never used emacs

>$ setxkbmap -option ctrl:nocaps
capslock as ctrl is actually important. it fixes everything.

If you don't have carpal tunnel because of fapping I guess you'll be fine with emacs.

cba, you sell me on it instead

org-mode

The only text editor you will ever need

Pianos also have foot pedals, user.

Emacsen are the best kind of editor (while actually being more of a runtime system for a language than text editor), but GNU Emacs itself is pretty shit. Precisely, Emacs Lisp is pretty shit. It's cool that usually you don't have to write code because somebody has already made whatever you want, but when I decided to write some simple code I instantly surrendered and looked for some alternative. I haven't yet found anything I'm sure to be better, but I have hopes for Yi (which I'm not sure is Emacs-like enough to be considered a kind of Emacs due to being fully statically compiled).

>Emacs
>Foot pedals

relevant classic from
archived.moe/g/thread/32128736/#32128818

Regexing with several editors:
acme:
>Oh, I want to execute a regular expression on my text here.
>Here I go.
>I take my mouse hand off my keys.
>I move my mouse hand to my mouse
>I grip the mouse with my mouse hand
>I move the mouse to the tag strip on top of the editing buffer
>I click the tag strip
>I release the mouse
>I move my mouse hand to the keys
>I write the regex
>I take my mouse hand off the keys
>I move my mouse hand to my mouse
>I grip the mouse and press da butans
>I drag the mouse over the regex to highlight it
>I release da butans
>I watch as my regex hopefully does what it needs to do on the first try.
>I move the mouse to the editing buffer to continue inputting text
>I release the mouse
>I move my mouse hand to the keys
>I FINALLY start typing again.

Emacs:
>press both foot pedals
>press meta shift control sysrq
>play the moonlight sonata on the two extra keyboards while requesting Regex-Mode with the headstick.
>hit the electric cymbals strapped under my arm and while putting the shift-stick I have gripped tightly with my sphincter into turbo mode.
>signal my two assistants to turn their keys in unison, NOW!
>input the regex
>release all keys and watch as emacs gracefully rearranges the text

vim:
>escape or equivalent
>:%s/foo/bar/g
>enter
>continue editing

some poor bastard was still working on guile emacs last time I checked
network effects are a bitch once you're in a local optimum

Yeah. Guile Emacs also sounds cool, but maintaining 3 lisp dialects sounds like a tough job.

only way to do it is to lower the energy barrier/smooth out the landscape. guile emacs sounds great. we need a guile interpreter written in emacs lisp so that guile emacs packages can be used by people still on GNU emacs; and we need a emacs lisp interpreter so that people on guile emacs can use old GNU emacs packages.
i want guile emacs running on guixSD

>network effects are a bitch once you're in a local optimum
Not relevant, Guile can interpret Emacs Lisp (and JavaScript and Lua as well). They just need to fix some performance regressions around dynamic scoping.

>lower the energy barrier
yup, but
necessary, but not sufficient, from what I can remember reading in the mailing list
IIRC they had backward compat mostly there (running elisp shite in guile-macs, prolly not vice versa), but interop was doomed due to pretty core design decision impedance mismatches - whether nil is #f, string representation or other shite like that.
or am I out of date? link us up some updates, m8

I've been a vimfag for all my programming career but I've phased it out for the most part for Emacs instead.
The thing is, vim has two strong points: the core editing functionality and you can use it anywhere.
So using it vanilla-ish for quick edits in the terminal or over ssh it is the best editor by far.

But once you add plugins and try to make it an IDE you should GTFO. vimscript is elisps little bitch. Stuff like magit and org-mode alone trump the whole vim ecosystem

I'm known in the office for being obsessed with ricing my setup and I'm seriously considering getting foot pedals just for shit and giggles now
Imagine stomping down with your foot everytime you type a new line and trying to keep a straight face while at it. It literally does not get any better than this
Although I've gotten a warning already for bringing my buckling spring keyboard into the office once, maybe I'm treading on thin ice here

do it mang, then sue for wrongful termination due to your (mental) disability
>maybe I'm treading on thin ice here
then again, you're self aware, so your power level doesn't seem to be high enough

vimmer here,

Only thing I'm really interested in is org-mode. Oh, that and maybe running Guile Emacs on Guix. Call me when the Emacs and Guile people finally get their shit together and fix all the issues.

[seriously though]
Is there an irc or mailing list or something?