/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try autistici or aktivix.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.xfce.org/howto/install_new_themes
askubuntu.com/a/9035
access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/6/html/deployment_guide/ch-yum
rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA
ahodesuka.github.io/FontList.swf
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Uniform_look_for_Qt_and_GTK_applications
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sup Forumstard thread derailment in 3... 2...

>not realizing that Sup Forums has been constantly raided for years and the anti-nn retards were paid pajeet shills whose job was to literally go to Sup Forums and post that shit

Is there a list of most used commands for arch linux? I just started using it (Mojango) and curious what commands will make my life easier.

Thanks

you you completly new to console commands?
they are all mostly the same, ls, cp, du -h, df -h.. last two commands flags are probably different, I can never remember them.
netctl is goat. wifi-menu -o for setting up wifi connctions. I assume you know how to use systemctl and service files.
lsusb is great, idfk why centos doesnt have it. theres also lspci.

oh, look into that command that sorts your pacman mirror file inorder of what one is the fastest.

yea first time using linux

thank you will look into those

If you have a musl-based system, can you run shit like steam using flatpak?

Just chroot it in a glibc environment.

info coreutils

>posting you Sup Forumsitical views into a thread about an operating system

How many of you actually use swap?

if a computer freezes it cause it has no ram right?

Yes, but is probably a better idea because Steam has some other fuckery going on with old SDL libraries that isn't properly rectified in their Flatpak image, or wasn't as of a couple months ago anyway. You could also try not reinventing the wheel and use a distro with good Steam support like Ubuntu or Solus. Musl causes a fair level of inconvenience, and if you have enough RAM to be running Steam games, it isn't going to contribute any noticeable positives.

You should read the OP post on everyone of these threads.

Apropos, info, help, and man. These will help alot and I use them daily. Also commands arn't really different between distros. The only difference is the packages they come with by default and the way they manage packages.

Yes I use swap. If you've used Windows it's called the pagefile.

The old convention used to be that you should have double your RAM allocated to swap space. Now that RAM is abundant and relatively cheap (compared to when that was best practice) you should be fine getting away with a 1 to 1 ratio for RAM and SWAP.

A computer won't completely freeze if RAM is being 100% utilized. But it will significantly impact performance / delivery of services.

HOW THE FUCK DO I THEME XFCE

I DOWNLOAD THE TARBALL THEN WAT DO?????

Install Lumina

Did you decompress the tarball?
tar -xzf file.tar ?

yea where am i supposed to extract it to?

It goes in ~/.local/share/themes

Here's a guide:
wiki.xfce.org/howto/install_new_themes

how do I mount a usb drive (flash drive or otherwise) in such a way that I don't have to use SU to modify any of the files?
Here's how I've mounted it:
sudo mkdir /media/usb0
mount /dev/sda1 /media/usb0
What am I missing? I try to edit a text file without SU and it says it's unwrteable.

mount -o uid=

how do I know if my graphics card is Open GL 3.2+ Compliant ?

Hello there, /flgt/.

So, I've installed Ubuntu Mini and have been using it for the past few months. Everything was working great until yesterday when I tried to use sudo apt-get update and it gave me a lot of "Not Found" errors. Has anyone else been having this problem? Is there a fix for this? All I've been able to find on google is that I need to do a dist-upgrade, but that just gives me the same error.

Thanks in advance.

is it normal that wine doesn't seem to return memory?
I've been playing Hearthstone through PlayOnLinux and according to the system monitor it keeps taking up over a gb of memory long after I've closed the application

does it not return the memory until another process requires it or something?

Thanks user

>/flgt/
Well I suck ass.

I know it is a silly thing, but I wanted to tell you guys that I'm day by day closer to make the final jump. Untill the day I put my hands on QEMU for playing or I stop playing at all.

glxinfo

Not really what the card supports though, what the driver supports with your card. Check the specs from nvidia/amd/intel for your card.

Any reason not to use Void?

Is kali linux a good distro to switch to? I'm using Windows 10 if that helps any.

I'm precisely on Void right now. Making it comfy lil by lil.

as a daily driver for someone new to Linux? I'm sure you can make it work but there isn't much point in choosing it over debian

Not really, it's more of a live distro. It's bloat if you use it as your OS because you won't touch 1/4 of the preinstalled shit, if you want the l33t h4x0r tools you can install them on any distro.

I want to buy Darkest Dungeon for linux
Minimum system requirements - Linux: Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04 or newer
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: Open GL 3.2+ Compliant
Storage: 2 GB available space
Additional Notes: 1080p, 16:9 recommended
I want to play it on a laptop with Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
I tested it on Wine and it ran well but it crashed sometimes.

Just got Fedora on my system as dual boot, what should I expect?

I need a panel for openbox that isn't that tint2 garbage

A decent system.

First try this
sudo apt-get check; sudo apt-get update

If that doesn't work then try this
> sudo /usr/bin/apt-get update
If that doesn't work sign in as root and try to do an apt-get update.
If you don't know the root password (because ubuntu sets up the root account for you) you can do this
sudo passwd root

If that does work make sure it's actually on your system
sudo find / -name 'apt-get'

askubuntu.com/a/9035

You should expect to have Fedora on your system? Do you know how to do red hat package management? Here's a guide on using the yum package manager:
access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/6/html/deployment_guide/ch-yum

>Arch linux
>mpv has been out-of-date for nearly a month.
How hard is it to maintain the most popular and lightweight media player on the platform?

What the fuck?

If he just installed fedora, yum is deprecated on it in favor of dnf.

Main dev went psycho and forked ffmpeg cause of one patch they didnt apply quickly enough.
Main dev gave up and is longer main dev

You should be using mpv-build-git anyhow.

So debian is a good choice then?

How does that impact mpv?
mpv is still mpv.

Yeah, sure. Whatever you want.

Sure. Don't fall for "stable" meme though - you're not a horse, just install sid

>been out-of-date for nearly a month
>nearly a month.
>nearly
>a month.
AUTISM

>prides itself on having the very latest mosst tippity-top up-to-date packages
>ignores the most popular media player on Linux for a month.

I'm confused guys. I have a dualboot of Win10 and Debian. I added the registry entry to Windows so that it doesn't use localtime, and yet Debian still always complains about the Superblock being aehad in the future by a few hours, and it shows me the wrong time for the first few seconds the machine is on.

How can I fix this? I tried both 32bit and 64bit entries to the windows registry, no dice.

Debian is a fine choice but I only suggested it because Kali is a derivative of Debian
in general I'd recommend Ubuntu, Mint or Elementary over it though but that's just a personal preference

>boot up
>see this and it freezes
What do?

Reboot, in grub menu hit whatever key it says to edit, remove 'quiet' from kernel command line. Boot.

That line has nothing to do with it.

Your UUID is wrong in fstab

That's what happening, one of your disk isn't responding. Wait the extra minute to boot, it will timeout and give up.

Find out what disk that is and fix the mount entry, or remove it.

So what do I do? Day 2 of a fresh install of Xubuntu, all I did was install MPV and a system update through the package manager.

>So what do I do?
Fix your UUID in fstab

So GRUB works fine but I try and set up an EFI bootstub and I get this.

I don't know why? I'm competent enough to boot from grub manually (no config) but for some reason EFI bootstub does this.

How do I do this if Xubuntu refuses to boot?

live usb

So during installation I messed up a partition mount point? Is that it?

Xubuntu is booting, it did boot to some extent. Did you try waiting for 1m 30s to timeout?

It stopped counting at 16 seconds and didn't go further

>root device "mapper/..."
I've never used EFI though so I'm not sure exactly but seems to me like a problem with your initramfs not setting up LVM properly, maybe it needs to be configured to use EFI or your EFI stub needs to add the initrd=.

ok webm user here, tried to install ffmpeg, but I dont' see it in applications, and doing sudo apt run ffmpeg says operation invalid

user@anon-desktop:~$ sudo apt run ffmpeg
[sudo] password for user:
E: Invalid operation run
user@anon-desktop:~$ sudo apt install ffmpeg
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
ffmpeg is already the newest version (7:2.8.11-0ubuntu0.16.04.1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
user@anon-desktop:~$ sudo apt run ffmpeg
E: Invalid operation run
user@anon-desktop:~$ sudo apt install ffmpeg
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
ffmpeg is already the newest version (7:2.8.11-0ubuntu0.16.04.1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
user@anon-desktop:~$

this is what the terminal is saying, not sure if that helps

I don't really understand how packages work.
If I'm running something like Fedora, I see that AMD offers drivers only for CentOS, RHEL, Ubuntu and SLED, but they are all just tarballs.
Are there actually no compatible drivers for Fedora, or would some of these work, and if so how do I know when some software would work when it doesn't explicitly say so?

why are you trying to run it with apt? just type ffmpeg

Use your package manager

Yeah that is a retarded response because it does not answer the question at all and many softwares are not in any software repository, like the fucking one being talked about here

Shouldn't the redhat or centos one work, since it's all redhat shit?

Seems weird to have graphics drivers for server OS and not desktop OS though.

Might want to educate your self before you go on autism fueled diatribes
rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA

So I use 4chanx + oneechan and I want to change Sup Forums's font.

Turns out that to do this, oneechan REQUIRES you to install Flash so that it can query here and get a list of fonts, which is shit deisgn but I guess I'm doing it anyway.

So thing is, despite me having the browser-plugin-freshplayer-pepperflash package installed in Debian, and despite Firefox detecting it in the plug-ins menu, and despite me disabling the mixed content block Firefox has by default when on an https website and something attempts to contact an http website, it's still not working and it's not loading my fonts.

So what gives? What do I have to do to get Flash to work here? Where should I start troubleshooting?

>NVIDIA
>" I see that AMD offers drivers"

ahodesuka.github.io/FontList.swf

So that it can query there, forgot link sorry

Honestly, I only just started using linux in the past 2 months after building a new PC, I can't really say that I know much of what I am doing.

4chanx has a custom CSS box, maybe oneechan does as well. Just set font-family to your font, and add !important.

ffmpeg is a cli program you won't get a nice icon or a gui

I installed a theme for xfce and it works fine except for things like gnome-calculator and transmission (which uses qt).
Is there a way to configure these to use the theme I set?

Doesn't seem like oneechan has a custom CSS box

How do you recommend I deal with the flash problem?

XFCE is GTK+, you need another seperate theme for Qt.

>gnome-calculator
>Qt
Really? I doubt it, it might be gtk2/gtk3, they need seperate themes.

>transmission
Don't use the qt version, use transmission-gtk.

Anyway, yeah seperate themes for different applications. Take a look here.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Uniform_look_for_Qt_and_GTK_applications

Do it in 4chanx, click the little wrench icon -> advanced.

I'm the guy who hesitated between Kubuntu and ubuntu mate on my thinkpad in the last thread.

I tried Kubuntu as my first pick since it looked pretty on the pictures and the memory benchmarks suggested no major difference in memory. Also I expected to use QT a bit and QT looking native was a plus. However I got tired of it very quickly since stuff randomly crashed, and once I tried to set up Kontact to fetch my mail, the system apps took up 3.7 out of my 4 gigs of ram.

On the other hand, Ubuntu MATE which I tried next was a really, really good fit. I had no irritation moments and a bunch of positive surprises. The Cupertino layout is very close to perfect for me. Also, the whole system feels ridiculously snappy coming from KDE. There's no split second lag between click and effect, everything is more or less instant, which I like.

How do I make a bootable image of my current desktop?

So it turns out the transmission i was using is actually transmission-gtk and THAT doesn't follow my gtk+ theme. How do I remedy this?

You can install a regular distro to a USB drive and use it as though it was an HDD. You might need to tweak slightly to run everywhere.

To make a custom livecd, most popular distros have tools to automate the process or at least describe it in their manual/docs.

Is it the same version of GTK+ as your installed theme? Remember that you need 2 GTK+ themes because GUI is a clusterfuck, in this case it's GTK+ clusterfuckery.

Although note that it's not just on GNU/Linucks but everywhere. No matter what OS you pick, unless you only use the programs that came with it, you will encounter things made with a different GUI library and it won't match perfectly.

I think the theme im using is only gtk 2.0, is there a way to convert it somehow? I think the project on github is dead

gtk2/gtk3 are not compatible, at all. If it bothers you that much, pick a theme that supports both and install them for both versions.

It sucks but it's the way it is with GUI.

aw man. Thanks anyway

Trying to configure URxvt here.

I want to use a perl extension called url-select, but I want it to match youtube to open with `mpv` instead of the default (which I want to be `urxvt -e w3m`)

I understand there's a way to do this with matcher, but matcher doesn't use vim bindings.

I can't seem to figure out this configuration. I've rtfm, and they seem to try to replace each other instead of working together. Am I missing something?

Is it true you're not supposed to have NTFS and EXT3/4 on the same disk but with different partitions?

Just use URxvt.url-select.launcher with a script that checks the domain for ending with youtube.com and selects the program to open it with.

No, it's not. They can share a disk just fine, as can the OS that drive those filesystem drivers.

Windows can be a slight cunt but it has nothing to do with the filesystems.

Wow, that simple huh? I feel stupid now. Thanks, user.

>Flagged out-of-date on 2018-01-10
>month

Arc

Ubuntu Mate and Manjaro xfce are almost perfect os. I tried kwin and lxqt, but are buggy as hell. It seems like it looks pretty and works well till it hits some random snag and starts ballooning up in memory.

What do you guys use for viewing PDFs? I want to get rid of Evince.

It's because mpv 0.28 depends on a version of ffmpeg that's later than current stable.