OS for productivity?

Linux/GNU vs Windows vs MacOS for productivity, development and programming.

What is your experience and knownledge about this?

With Windows everything works out of the box for the most part, but you are very restricted. Linux requires quite a bit of configuring but gives you all the control once you master it. MacOS is plain dumb. I would suggest you stay away.

use whatever you want. strongly opinionated tech users are toxic and should be removed from teams as soon as they're identified.

>With Windows everything works out of the box for the most part

...not for programming and developing. For that, only mac and linux work out of the box. Windows is a fucking shitshow.

All are reasonable choices these days.

Depending on the sort of productivity you're after, Windows and MacOS run MS Office natively, and Linux can run at least up to 2010 very well and easily in Wine (I haven't tried anything more recent since I hate where they took the UI since).

For programming and dev, I'd take Linux or MacOS for their sane UNIX style environment. Only take Windows if you're trying to make Windows programs -- unless you stay inside the MS VisualStudio ecosystem, dealing with libraries is shit, there aren't standard include paths, you'll be fucking with your PATH variable often, and will likely end up with 3 Pythons and 2 Perls installed. On the other hand, "Bash on Ubuntu on Windows" works fairly well though it is a weird solution to a problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place.

Mostly look at which platform has the most programs available that you want to use. Also consider that Mac hardware comes at a premium, if cost is an issue to you.

Obviously not for programming or developing. I suggested Windows to OP because he didn't really seem like a programmer. No programmer would ask such a basic question. Windows is very good for the average home desktop or the average professional who watches movies, browses the internet and sends a lot of mail. Yes, modern distros like Ubuntu, Manjaro, or Mint have made UX better, but windows familiarity is so high, an the out of the box compatibility, make it a suitable option for the average person, who just wants his machine to werk.

Are you new here? This has been discussed like 10 million times already. Use your fucking imagination to think of something new to post and talk about fucking cunt

saged and reported

Windows is fine for beginning programming. Grab VisualStudio Community Edition for free. It's a fine IDE, you write your code, punch a button and watch it run. Just be ready to move on to something else if your needs expand to include things like libraries.

Windows doesn't really lock you out of using a sensible command line dev environment. Install Windows Services for Linux in "Turn Windows Features On of Off", and run bash.exe. It'll install a full Ubuntu system inside a folder in your AppData, and enable your Windows to run Linux binaries natively. It's still using a Linux system, but it's lighter, smaller and more flexible than a VM.

lets get real for a moment. You install windows 10 in about 45 minutes and for most linuxes its about the same but remember. Biggest base linuxes are about 1 gigabytes or 2 while windows 10 can be more than 5 gigabytes of data. And what happens when you open them. On the linux there are about 2 functional buttons, 3 are nonfunctional and in those two buttons there are some pictures to play with. Maybe slide down or up. On windows though, you feel like a god. Its professional its fast, its all functional. You have a godlike user interface. The thing that the linux does not have. You have those two buttons in the linux, but you still search google for codes to write in terminal. Linux is free because its not worth a penny. Nobody would sell a paper without taking the money. Just not sure why people still buy android while windows phone does 10 times more. Trust me. When you work with windows you know some genius ground breaker dedicated himself to give you an operational os

I agree. My younger cousin programs on Windows at school.

>Trust me
Newfags, this is what bait looks like.

>windows 10 can be more than 5 gigabytes of data
More like fucking 15 to 20. If you have a way to shrink Win10 to 5 GB, I'd love to hear it.

WSL is still pretty buggy. It doesn't interpret paths correctly and many Linux native programs don't install correctly.

What if an important productivity software doesn't exist in Linux and Wine? or does most of them exist in Linux? Is it worth to worry about that? Will a company force you to use Windows even after years of Linux?

Depends what you need -- if it just doesn't work in Wine and there isn't a good alternative in Linux, you either do without or stick Windows in a VM.

Windows
>Visual is great for stock C# and C++
>You'll loose time trying to understand how to install any 3rd pary library like SDL on Windows
>windows shell is pretty dumb
>You can play games on it so you need a good control of urself to do works and not wasting time on PUBG with friends
>you can get virus and your code can be stealed
>no HDD crypt by default unless you pay for Windows Pro

GUN/Linux or I recently start to call it "GNU + { '(((Linux)))' }"
>great for web dev
>you need it for CS if you have any sysadmin/sysdev lesson
>bash is love, bash is life
>it's pretty dumb to make library like SDL works
>>sudo apt install libsdl*
>>gcc -libsdl main.c
>HDD crypt
>no virus, don't trust the "linux has virus too" memes, no one will loose time developping virus for linux when vulnerabilies get patched in 2 days
>if you get a rolling distro, everything will be up to date (library in particular)
>very few games available, graphic card drivers are shit anyway
>you'll loose time configuring your DE and trying to name your OS properly

Mac OS
don't buy that overpriced shit, wait for your first job, your compagny will buy it for you if it's really needed

>Just be ready to move on to something else if your needs expand to include things like libraries.
What, suddenly VS is unable to statically link a library to your project? Guys working on it must be real shitters.

MacOS is for productivity, development and programming
Windows is for productivity, development, programming AND games
Linux is for people with autism

>MacOS is for productivity, development and programming

It's not mainly for emojis, the just implemented emojis into that "bar" to get more money which is a nice marketing strategy for millennials

windows:
shit
linux:
good for programming
macos:
all the benefits of gnu, but also with proprietary programs and a functioning graphics system

the main goal of that bar is to replace F1...F12 kays to something else
while F1...F12 are required for good productivity, you can say apple focus on productivity by masking them all the time with media player button / emoji

If I'm a pro cyclist, I will not buy a bike wich offuscate the gear selector with shit.

>the main goal of that bar is to replace F1...F12 *keys* to something else
>while F1...F12 are required for good productivity, you *can't* say Apple focus on productivity by masking them all the time with media player buttons / emojis

>If I'm a pro cyclist, I will not buy a bike wich the gear selector is offuscated with shit.

They all suck.

You realize that you can customize the bar with buttons you want and that by default they are function buttons in productivity applications?

>You realize that you can customize the bar with buttons you want
I prefer to pay half the price and not having to do that

Gentoo

>tbqh
Linux doesn't werk, Macs are expensive both up front and to fix, and Windows is a sort-of working front-end with 30 years of bloat behind it on the back. They're all very horrible.

If Linux only had a working proper window system (not X, not Wayland) that wouldn't tear on 60% of hardware. If Linux only had proper commercial hardware and software support. If Linux only had ONE desktop environment that worked ninety-nine percent of the time.

>programming
>function keys are here feelsgoodman.jpg
>someone send me a message
>writing a response
>want to alt+F4 to close the conv windows
>can't do that because of emoji bar
>"You realize that you can customize the bar with buttons you want"
>having to stop my workflow just to fix default shit because of millenials marketing
>"MacOS is for productivity"

>Just be ready to move on to something else if your needs expand to include things like libraries.
VS can handle libraries just fine, you just need to know how to include them. Whether the libraries themselves support VS is another thing entirely.

>reminder that macOS is the only widespread desktop OS with a simple settings panel that covers all system configuration.
Fucking .conf files fuck

Amen

>not having to do that
You don't. If you didn't have reading comprehension, you'd see "by default they are function buttons".

AmigaOS 3.1
Mac OS 7.6

Anything better than the shit we have today.

>by default they are function buttons in productivity applications
by default they are function buttons in productivity applications
see

>I am a retard that thinks every OS uses alt+F4
>I am a retard to think that alt+F4 is superior to cmd+Q or cmd+W

>I use an OS that doesn't fit the global use standart because I like to feel special, also I think it's better coz it's the only one using that way

Anything !Windows (gaymes)

it's literally impossible to develop for windows without visual studio

try configuring gcc environment in windows without the urge to commit suicide

It is right and proper to mention the principal contribution first. The GNU contribution to the system is not only bigger than Linux and prior to Linux, we actually started the whole activity.

In addition, “GNU/Linux” fits the fact that Linux is the lowest level of the system and GNU fills technically higher levels.

However, if you prefer to call the system “Linux/GNU”, that is a lot better than what people usually do, which is to omit GNU entirely and make it seem that the whole system is Linux.

/thread

>he thinks alt+F4 is a standard
>he thinks there’s a logical reason behind alt+F4 being alt+F4

>everyone does x in this way
>find a more effective method of doing x that is more convenient
>”hey user, why aren’t you doing it in the way everyone does? we’ve always been doing it this way, for ages, we don’t know why, but we just do because the people before us did it that way.”
>explain why the new method is better
>”what are you, gay?”

alt+F4 is better thant whatever+Q because it works on every keyboard with function key, you can switch between QWERTY and AZERTY you'll close windows with the same gesture

>muh genius, muh design revolution because everything is different
>muh Thinks Different TM
>being this brainwashed

macOS without a doubt
People who talks trash about it never actually used it