/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of solar timepieces as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other clocky clock.

>Required viewing :
youtu.be/D6yYbAJ2OS4

>Recommended reading
forums.watchuseek.com/f54/vostok-amphibia-analysis-design-methodology-491757.html

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>how to box up a watch professionally
youtube.com/watch?v=Yavx9yxTrsw

>Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eco-Drive
ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MEN-SEIKO-QUARTZ-RUNNING/152857231861?hash=item23970041f5:g:9GwAAOSw37BaUm-Z
ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SEIKO-A714-5000-T-DIGITAL-QUARTZ-LCD-WATCH-RUNNING-MAN/332532670396?epid=80441639&hash=item4d6c7ddfbc:g:0FcAAOSwtKVaaoWl
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What is the difference between citizen eco-drive and Seiko solar?

You faggots are my only friends

Hodinkee staff and commenters love this watch, why does Sup Forums not like it?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eco-Drive
here ya go matey

Hodinkee loves fucking everything, have they ever made a seriously negative comment about anything?

Why would you buy a watch from a company that only makes overpriced pens?

love you too brah

Let's buy shitters together, best not-so-well-know shitter for under $50 on ebay? Everyone can play, best shitter gets bought by me

kind of well known but a fair deal today i think:

ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MEN-SEIKO-QUARTZ-RUNNING/152857231861?hash=item23970041f5:g:9GwAAOSw37BaUm-Z

If this is how my turtle fits, what Amphibia case should I get?

go away phoneposter

>thousands of dollars
>not made in house
>not very good looking
>why is it on a nato strap
It looks like a tactical ball point pen chronometer, I don't get it but buy it if you like it

get it if you want

I guess you're fine even with a 090.

ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SEIKO-A714-5000-T-DIGITAL-QUARTZ-LCD-WATCH-RUNNING-MAN/332532670396?epid=80441639&hash=item4d6c7ddfbc:g:0FcAAOSwtKVaaoWl

So your only problem with it is the brand name on the dial?

He clearly had three other problems, not made in couse, not good looking, and thousands of dollars.

Alright, should I avoid the 100/110? Are they too long? The 090 rubs me the wrong way. I was also considering 420.

let me check and see if that is what people are saying

ok back

No it seems people are mainly saying it does not have an in house movment, does not look very good, is oddly a desk looking watch on a nato strap with chronometer pushers but no index and costs way too much for what it is, a watch not made in house that just slaps some over the counter movement in an ugly case for thousands of dollars

Do you guys like my terrorist watch?

Am I retarded for wanting this after user posted this in the last thread?

>chronometer pushers
sorry meant chronograph pushers

legs pls

Begone thot

I like it very much, If I saw a nice slim girl wearing a terrorist watch IRL and she seemed to know what it was and why it was neat, i would fall in love on the spot

Nice (male) breasts

>What is was and why it was neat
What? Why is it neat?

It's neat because it's the most reliable $10 watch out there, is functional and looks OK and was worn by both Obama and Bin Laden

My problem now is that you're too much of a fucking retard to converse with.

Good morning wt. 9up is looking on average a little nicer. I've removed the luch from the test - something is clearly going on there that needs addressing. The ultronic measurement is suspect - the second hand was stopping and staying when I pulled it out. It's already scheduled for service next month to address an issue with the index wheel so that's probably that.

Cosmotron-collecting user, can I just get my watchmaker to swap a7803a movement from one of my standard case cosmotrons to my monocoque case cosmotron? I assume the battery and adjusting screw line up but am not sure. Thanks!

It's the best watch baume & mercier ever made, for what it's worth.
Honestly it seems like a pretty good watch.

Think of hodinkee as just a blog about watch news.

Not an authority on watches.

I do not like how it juxtaposes a modern stainless case with modern pushers and hands that look pre distressed/fade and off a art neauvo watch from 100 years ago

Hodinkee is shit taste central, they eat up all kinds of dogshit there because they're hopeless brandfags.

LONDON
O
N
D
O
N

>This is the watch Steven Seagal wears
One of the greatest anti-endorsements you could get in watches.

Say that to his face.

holy fucking shit i thought that other guy was kidding

should i ask why he has a watch on both wrists?

Holy fuck more please, just random pics of you doing anything, you are so cute

It's Steven Seagal. Nothing more really needs to be said.

I don't take much pictures of myself doing anything.

>people hate the sandwich speedmaster
>it looks amazing to me

more sandwiches for me then.

Post pics of your throat

>that radiator
>caprabo
Holy shit pls be in Spain

The shape of the crystal is so dumb though.

I've read that the 110 is kinda uncomfortable because the case has zero curvature. But I don't own a 110 so I can't confirm. Don't know if this applies to the 100.

But if you like the shape of the Turtle then maybe you should look at the 710.

/wt/ - Traps

I am.

>I don't take much pictures of myself doing anything.
Than just take some of you doing nothing? perhaps with the watch on?

Post bulge.

Then post a nato strap worn as a cock ring.

Just getting into this watch thing and had a question. I was interested in either a Seiko 5 or one of those Slav watches that were getting spammed in the last two threads. I have never owned an automatic watch betore, only quartz ones.

What's the deal with the watch stopping a while after you don't move your wrist? I always sleep with my watch on, so maybe it won't stop for me? Also, how do you "restart" the watch after it does stop? Is the process a pain in the ass, or quick and easy?

Shill me the automatic watch, /wt/. Is it pure autism? If so, that's cool. I'm all for it. I'm just worried about the process of restarting the watch being a huge pain.

We have a proper board for this shit, you fucking faggots.

710 or 420

Dat Crystron tho

Fancy having a chat? I could send you my kik to a throwaway email adress (10minutemail.com)
Polite sage because this is offtopic as shit

Chat for what? I'm not looking for a hookup, sorry.

just let me cum inside you a little bit plz

No lol. I'm not a slut.

Oh well ;_; I was just curious about how MtFs have it in Spain, since I've never met one.

jesus how degenerate

My Bagel

do you honestly like that second hand?

I'm not trans.

Supermarket reused plastic bag hanging from bed > poor tier.
Solognac (Decathlon) tshirt > poor tier.
Casio F91w... guess what.

But well. The watch is ok at least, as you already knew.

I have reusable bags, I just use the plastic bag as a makeshift bin because my plastic bin broke and I was too lazy to buy a new one.
And what's wrong with using tshirts i've gotten for free and used for years to wear them indoors? More comfy than pajamas.

Have fun being a fag then
t. Fag

That guy has a Crystron 4Mega, I hope he gets gangraped by a pack of feral niggers.

>decathlon is poor tier
>h&m and forever 21 are trendy tier
what's with these double standards

C-can somone please respond to this? ._.

>poorfags used to shill garbage Bagelsports as the best-looking homage watch in the universe ever
>someone on /wt/ now has a genuine Rollie Milgauss
>everyone shits on him
I just don't understand you faggots. I think that guy has one of the best models of the current Rolex lineup.

>What's the deal with the watch stopping a while after you don't move your wrist? I always sleep with my watch on, so maybe it won't stop for me? Also, how do you "restart" the watch after it does stop? Is the process a pain in the ass, or quick and easy?
this is how MECHANICAL watches "work" they have to be wound every day or so because they are 1700s technology

SOLAR watches do not have this problem!

And many have better finishing than an OMEGA!

It runs about 20-30 spy fast at room temperature according to the testing I did before the current test. It has an external screw for regulation that I'm going to try to play with if I can find some documentation of how it works. I probably will wait until I end up getting an appropriate timing machine though (with an induction sensor and high accuracy time base) as waiting to months between every adjustment sounds tedious.

>I just don't understand you faggots. I think that guy has one of the best models of the current Rolex lineup.
do you honestly like that second hand?

Sure I do. I think its iconic and tells a story about what is actually hidden inside that makes it special.

The seconds hand is visible. The Faraday cage and Parachrom Bleu hairspring is not.

Yes, are you a fucking pleb?

is there a squiggly red lightning bold hidden inside?

The original and the ripoff both look like total dogshit in my opinion.

Most mechanical watches use a wound up spring as a power source, rather than a battery. When that spring fully unwinds, the watch stops. Most such watches have a power reserve of 38 hours or more (some much more). If an automatic watch runs out of power, you have to rewind the spring (either by winding the crown or, in models without hand winding, turning the watch from side to side a bit), and then set the time (and date, if it has one, and has been stopped long enough the date is no longer right). It's a bit of a pain, but the whole process shouldn't take more than a minute. Some people put their automatic-winding watches on watch winders when they're not wearing them.

If you wear your watch every day, it shouldn't ever run our of power.

automatic watches wind the mainspring with movement of your wrist. if you don't wind the spring enough, it will stop.
seiko 5s don't have manual wind, so you need to wear it or shake it about in order to wind it up. if it stops all you have to do is shake it a little untill it begins running, set the time and then wear it
you're better of going with a vostok, as they can be manually wound (so if it stops you can wind it up fully, then wear it for at least 40hrs of running) and you get more features for the price, such as shock resistance and 200m water resist.

Most automatics self wind user. The power reserve on average is around 40 hours.

Many automatics can be wound manually. You just pull out the crown and turn clockwise to get it back up and running.

>implying lightning-bolt hands aren't cool as fuck

They look like dogshit.

If you think that looks good you need to have your eyes examined.

I bet they copied those hour hands from the glorious raketa kopernik

that is terrible

Holy shit, /wt/ is doomed.

Thanks!

>casio f91w cost, $15, running time, 7 years
>rolex submariner cost, $10,000 running time, 48 hours

???

Just accept that you have bad taste, is not really that bad.

No, you just have shit taste.

Post collection and/or wishlist. I'm waiting.

>mfw I actually like this

I have multiple times. I'm not going to bend over for you now.

Really now?

That's one lame-ass cop-out, kiddo. Post archive link then. I bet you were laughed out of the thread.

Look buddy, if you don't like what I have to say, cover your fucking eyes, it's not my problem.

>get told you have bad taste
>P-POST YOUR COLLECTION THEN
This is really cringeworthy.