R vs Python

What's the best language to learn in data science?

Other urls found in this thread:

aadrake.com/command-line-tools-can-be-235x-faster-than-your-hadoop-cluster.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Assembler.

Python 2.x > Ruby > Python 3.x

Just learn both. python is easier if you already know how to program. R is easier if you're a statistician.

It depends on what exactly you do, but just learn both of them anyway. It's not hard.

most data scientists use power bi to manipulate a file a dba created for them

then they paste the results into excel to do that traffic light color coding

there's literally no reason to be using python 2.x anymore...

Depends which part

R is better for Stats and plotting and Python is better for Machine Learning

The difference between the two languages are disappearing but specialty libraries still exist in both

Neither are hard and Python is a good first language

At some point in your Data Science Career you will have to work in one or the other depending on the project or team so its worth the time to learn both

Tensorflow and sklearn are literally going to stop supporting 2

Many other libraries aren't going to support 2 going forward there is no reason to use it

there's also literally no reason to use ruby anymore

R is basically JavaScript, and pretty much identical to SAS. If you're a social scientist, they're both top tier for most disciplines. (Psychologists use spss and economists use stata but that's it.)

Much of the new coding I'm seeing them use for deep learning and heterogenous computing is Python.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Like if you're doing Bayesian in business analytics, like marketing science, then you'll heavily use and adapt bayesm from R, and the main book is Allenby and Rossi, who maintain Bayesm.

Whereas the Adapteva Parallela dev board used Python.

agreed, but there's a large community that just won't give it up, so whatever, let them do their thing.

R is not shorthand for Ruby you stupid twat

R is so freaking comfy in comparison, but you will have to learn Python as well. So the question is Python vs Python+R.

>>What are you trying to accomplish?

Machine learning mostly

Python, then. But you'll have to learn R eventually and it seriously is just JavaScript and took me half an hour to pick up.

Really, the learning curve for serious work is remembering all that linear algebra and differential equations that got rusty.

It sounds fancy if you attach science to it.

What does Data Science mean exactly. It sounds so vague.

Wait, you're telling me that I actually know Javascript? I taught myself R a while ago, but I've never touched JS. It's very similar?

Mathlet here.

How do I become a stats and probability wizard and then use R to make mad dosh?

What the fuck man

No, and I have no idea who the fuck would claim that.

R is a clusterfuck as a programming language. Current JS is all about Async, something that you'll barely encounter in R which is more focused on easy implementation of math (which JS sucks at).

R doesn't even have fucking 64bit integers by default. It's dataframes are great and wonderfully easy to use though. Python is shit and I'd stay away from it as far as possible unless it's your only option. They both suck in different ways, I wish there was a third option with all the packages these two already have.

Go to school for finance.

Julia, C/C++. And basic *nix utilities.

Want something more?

Scripting: perl, lua.
High availability shit: erlang.

Daily reminder: aadrake.com/command-line-tools-can-be-235x-faster-than-your-hadoop-cluster.html

Python is for quick prototyping, not production shit despite what the nu-males are spouting.

It's the cool new word for Statistics

R has that NICE ggplot.

And the faggot guru Hadley Wickham makes working with data frames a dream

you will probably need both. R is mandatory for ml. Depending on how updated your uni is, you will either end up with R or (((matlab))). Latter needs to be put out of it's misery

>Machine learning mostly
They you need R

Is reading this book a good starting point to become a wall street millionaire?