Why would you ever use anything else?

Why would you ever use anything else?

Go to hell, you are worst than the apple shills, eclipse is slow, have shitty UI and a near absent auto completion.

Cause I get the entire Jetbrains library for free with my student email.

Because I prefer to use something that is not shit.

>decide to get into programming by myself
>start with c++
>search for IDEs
>eclipse is shilled everywhere
>read guides to set up commnismclipse
>have to download tons of shit, add pathing, etc
>instructions are more vague than a doomsayer's screaming
>start it up
>can barely begin, no idea what does what
>look for tutorials
>same program yet everything works differently
>have to download a mountain of packages that do god knows what
>use the built in hello world program
>compiles, runs
>code it from scratch
>doesn't compile

meanwhile
>install VS
>everything just werks

Eclipse is slow as fuck and its support for languages besides Java and C++ kind of sucks. I have been using Visual Studio Code.

im a retard

> Using IDE for C++
Go die

I like it
But it doesn't run on aarch64
So I Netbeans now

no

people can bash VS all day long but no one can deny that it just werks and it has great productivity tools built (bloated) in

Because IDE-s are used by real developers and i am not a real developer, so i use Nano and Geany and sometimes Sublime

I use it because it's the most convenient way of having deugging features and uploading tools for an ARM-based microcontroller on Windows.
For almost everything else I just use VS Code like

Generally you aren't supposed to start with an IDE, instead you start with command line and text editor. That way you understand the basics. You only use an IDE when you fully understand how coding and compilation work.

>decide to get into programming myself
>VS
lol what the fuck. if you're just starting off, you're probably doing simple hello world programs and employer simulators. If you need something like Visual Studio for that, you are never going to make it.

so how am i supposed to start properly? is there a guide that holds my hands until i learn to swim?

Don't listen, that's bad advice.
Start with an IDE and explore its features.
Text editors and command line compilers are shit for big projects.
It's never too soon to get familiar with a good IDE.

IntelliJ is better for Java

This guy's an idiot. In any academic institution,you don't touch an IDE until the second semester. You just use a text editor, and the terminal/command line to compile your code.

Look up on youtube "beginners guide to C++" or something like that. YouTube is the best place for complete hand holding instructions.

Because i prefer IDEs that don't keep constantly crashing.

Hahahaha what?
Our very first lecture was on how to set up eclipse and use it for running programs.
Literally noone uses text editors

Yeah good luck weaning off that tit when your student status expires.

I like IntelliSense

Don't use IDE's for Hello World.

>computer scientists learning CS without ever typing in commands into a terminal
God no wonder employers are so frustrated with people applying who can't code.

Both colleges I've taken classes at allow me to keep my email for life. But a few hundred dollars a year for the tools essential to my craft is chump change. I bet I could get the company I work for to pay for them.

> without ever typing in commands into a terminal
We do learn to do this tho. There's just no need for it.

There is absolutely need for it. Linux server management and using git are prime examples.

And it's a terrible advice, my uni also taught us to use eclipse at the beginning but i know it's bad and that vim is enough for a little program.
Uni are shit when it comes to education and good practices.

>vim

OH NO NO NO NO

What does git have to do with text editors and compiling in the command line? We do use git bash, no ui.
And "Linux server management" is not something you learn here, since CS is primarily maths and programming. If you want to do servers, you can learn to do so on your own

Define a "little program", I don't think we make/made a lot of those.
also
>vim

Just use fucking emacs like a normal person

apt-get install g++
apt-get install emacs
there, you're done

>
>There is absolutely need for it. Linux server management and using git are prime examples.

Press shift twice. Type terminal. Press enter. Use terminal. Shift escape. Rinse and repeat.

Just because you use pycharm does not mean you don't need terminal.

>
>people can bash VS all day long but no one can deny that it just werks and it has great productivity tools built (bloated) in

The problem with just works is we don't know how things work. Employers love it because we lose leverage.

Code::blocks is a decent option if you want things like autocomplete.

I don't use pycharm. I don't use python at all.

Is eclipse the best fsf-approved IDE?

Is NetBeans good? Im considering using it

There's also Netbeans with Apache License (which is fsf-approved)

Unironically easier to just compile from the command line.

I've only tinkered with vscode a bit but dont you need to configure a bunch of files to get the debugger and everything to werk and when you go to the documentation it just shows you how to do it for windows?

How is that easier than installing eclipse C++ and running some code??

wtf i didnt know they gave student discounts, sweet

I use Vim with clang-complete. Very nice for c++ development.
For my work, I use what my company provides/expects (jetbrains in my current case)

Because I don't have 23891704983475018934TB of RAM and 90487519283470189734TB of storage space and a 30TB pagefile.

Also, the UI is shit, it's slow, and it doesn't even have any of the features that I have come to expect in an IDE.

Fuck Eclipse, fuck it to hell.

No, it's bloated and slow just like Eclipse.