DAW Thread

Does Sup Forums use any DAWs? Tell me about them. List one thing you like and one thing you dislike about your current DAW.

I'll start with ableton live. I really like the minimal UI and that there are no useless plugins that give no insight on what they actually do (like in FL studio). However, I dislike that it has limited routing options, and hardware integration is not good.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Oe3jEA7710s
youtube.com/watch?v=PEb5vJwYn-c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I still use cool edit 2k but I like what I see here

I use FL Studio, I like the simplicity of the interface, dislike how it handles the editing of samples

>ableton
top fucking lad

they're all the same just different bells and whistles

the routing takes some getting used to, but is fine and the hardware integration is fine.

why, pro tracker of course

youtube.com/watch?v=Oe3jEA7710s

Bitwig is great
It feels more like an instrument than the other DAWs. Its more usefull for electronic music.
Also the new 2.3 update, coming next month, will be a great.

adlib tracker or nub
>youtube.com/watch?v=PEb5vJwYn-c

Out of all the ones I've tried I like Ableton the most
It has almost everything I want though they still could improve things

Have you tried it on linux? How is audio/music production anyways? It isn't as simple as Win/ASIO or Mac/core audio is it?

If just somebody combined bitwig and ableton.

I've started out with Ableton, any time i try to switch to anything else I feel like I'm giving something up in exchange. For what I do, they really are the best as far as I can tell

It is running. It doesn't errors out...

But I haven't been pass trial, so I used audacity to record it.

I use ableton, Logic, pro tools and reaper in various professional capacities. I stick to ableton for personal projects though as I’m a heavy max user. Started with tracker software (octamed) and moved on to Cubase and then fruityloops. Only dip back in to octamed on occasion though.

Oh and gadget on iPad, I guess that kind of counts, I’ve made entire lps with it.

I make my living with Pro tools and Logic pro.

I'll sometimes use live to dick around with max msp

Which do you prefer?

There is something really crisp and pleasing to the ear about tracker music. It's a shame I'm so shit at using them.

After using protools I wish ableton had the same level of routing though. Hardware integration is not great, I have firsthand experience from using my hardware synths with it. There is very noticable midi lag, and the only workaround is delaying your drum/vst tracks to resync them. However now your metronome will be out of sync and you will have to manually make a new one. I will admit these are small complaints though, Ableton has been great for me.

Forget to add then when using hardware synths it is very common for it to get stuck on note on, and the last note you played will ring out until you stop your track. Can be frustrating when bouncing your midi into audio or just adjusting notes.

Does anyone here use FOSS DAWs professionally?

You mean noticeable midi lag in pro tools?

I’ve seen ardour used a couple of times but never on anything major.

LMMS
what I like:
>it's free
>it's pretty easy to figure out how to use it
what I don't like:
>programming midi is a pain in the ass
>using VSTs is a pain and you have to go out of your way to get them

No, in ableton. There are also known bugs that cause ableton to freeze when sending midi out, but who knows this could have been fixed with the new version, I am still using live 9. I have yet to try my hardware in protools since I use ableton for personal use, and use protools for mixing/mastering.

You shouldn’t be getting midi latency issues in ableton. What’s your set up? OS, devices etc.

Win 8, midi sent thru a scarlett 2i4. Trying to sync them thru abletons midi setting does nothing for me, I am still stuck with ~50ms of lag no matter what I do.

Is there a difference in latency amount when you’re monitoring your playing versus recorded notes?

Aegis Sonix

Depends, i use pro tools for tracking, sound editing sound design and mixing,logic for scoring and additional sound design. I really like pro tool's workflow, but it really is uninspiring when you just need to compose in the box, logic is quite good at that and the midi capabilities are really good. I want to like ableton but logic is just much more comfy to me.

Renoise

+ all the usual good stuff about a tracker but with VST/rewire support
- lack of visual waveforms on tracks means no quick visual reference for song position, lots of reliance on well-named sections

No difference there, the delay will be recorded into the clip and I will have to manually trim the start and end points if I want it to sync to the metronome. Which doesn't really work for pads or other non-transient sounds.

I'll add that PT would be perfect if the midi would be entierly redone and you didn't have to deal with aax and Avid's bullshit.

A M I G A

I use Protools almost every day. I hate it and it sucks but I hate everything else more. Avid is terrible, they know they've cornered the market and the software is buggy as hell.

If you can get away with using anything else then do it. If you can't then welcome to the suck.

While Ableton is now the standard, FLstudio has one of the most interesting built-in features of any DAW: the Peak Controller.
You can use this to essentially sidechain a channel into ANY CONTROLLABLE PARAMETER. For instance in Ableton you can use a chanel to sidechain a compressor, but only because the compressor has a sidechain option. With the peak controller you can use a channel as a MIDI control signal basically. Allows you to do some very interesting sidechaining, and is something that would require M4L to do in Ableton.

Honestly though everyone should learn PureData which is basically FOSS Max/MSP (same creator).

I started with
Music Generator, then Acid Pro 4.0
Reason 4,
Cubase,
Logic,
Protools,
Now Ableton.
I mix professionally for my mixing business, so time is really a factor for me. Ableton has saved me so much time in allowing me to automate my plugin racks, templates, layouts. It's crazy. Funnily enough, I use Ableton almost exclusively for audio (though I do mess around in my free time with my own music.) I wish Ableton had some features from Cubase or Protools like strip silence and a little more advanced clip editing tools but the DAW itself is a breeze to use and Ableton 10 should reaffirm that.

I love Logic Pro X. I really wanna try Ableton, especially now that it has Max integration, but the 900 dollar price tag for the Suite scares me.

I use Pro Tools for work sometimes and I fucking hate it. It's good at mixing and editing, but it's a buggy piece of shit that could be much, much better if it was written by competent programmers. Avid needs to refactor the code or rewrite it.

I'm learning Pd right now and I'm really excited.

Offset, maybe

Reaper is by far the best. Im shocked all you faggots dont use it

It's fine. It's FAR from the best.

I play guitar using a DAW (reaper), how can I seamlessly switch between effects (mainly clean and distorted) at a certain mark on the timeline? Say I'm playing a song in which 0:00 through 0:24 uses a clean signal and then afterwards is all distorted (basically I want an automated digital pedalboard)
I've no idea how this process is called or how it's done, I'd imagine it's something like
>guitar track completely changes its effects at specific marker
>have 2 guitar tracks, one clean one distorted, and have them automatically mute/unmute at specific marker

Will look into that, thanks.

There's always LMMS if you want to bring about your inevitable suicide that much sooner.

Run your clean guitar signal through the output of a mixer (or your AI if you don't have a mixer) into your effects chain, then back into your AI. This gets rid of the hassle of recording multiple tracks for different effect settings, and also gets rid of the need to completely re-record a track if you later find the effect settings aren't dialed in right. From there you could either mix the signals as a dry/wet or crossfade dry into wet if you want for example a 100% distorted sound. Will get better results if your pedals can handle line level inputs.

>nonfree software
not even once

How is Reason the same as Cubase for instance? When Reason comes with all your music plugins, synths, drum machines, sound banks ready to go. I wouldn't call that the "same" desu

i use Pro Tools daily for work (real life audio engineer here). it's ok i've learned how to make do with it. for personal shit I use Cubase or StudioOne. i honestly really like StudioOne a lot, but I prefer the workflow in Cubase. plus everything just werkz

pd is the fucking shit and i agree 100%, everyone should learn it. now im gonna go dig up an old patch and post a screenshot because im bored

FWIW, the m4l plugin that does this in ableton is called Dopey Sidekick.

here is some fun. video manipulation worked and it combined two videos together but idk what happened, been about a year and a half since ive touched this patch and im not gonna try and fix it lol

oh and to explain
this patch contains both video and audio. i dug up some old 90's footage from a british network and it was retro as fuck. this patch overlays two videos on top of each other and combines them to give a super fucked up but cool look.
the second part of the patch is basically loading up a 1min audio file that i have, loops it, and then an attached mic triggers a voice sample once the input level reaches a certain threshold.
if the loop is played through speakers the entire thing basically just plays/triggers itself and it's pretty kickass

Same here. Figured it would be more popular on Sup Forums.

I use FL occasionally, I personally can't stand the "let's be Google Chrome" approach of Live and it doesn't offer anything over FL that would justify it. I'll give Live 10 a shot again when it's released next week, but from what I've seen it's a fairly underwhelming update.

here are two more patches, just because i feel like showing off puredata to people. the bottom patch is a synthesizer with some random elements. i dont know where the output~ is at on this patch.
the patch up top is another audio trigger done by mic input, fashioned after one of those 8-ball toys. the only extra thing added to it really is just a noise generator to make it spooky.
took my name out of there just because. these are floating around on various patch websites, just with an alias of mine attached :)

tldr: learn puredata. its great and there are plenty of tutorials on youtube that are actually good

Studio One 3

whats great:
>frequent updates
>more intuitive user interface for recording and mixing than pro tools
>no avid autism
>melodyne integration

whats not so great:
>aftertouch doesnt work with my roland drum kit

for someone still learning mixing studio one is great

I switched from FL Studio to Ableton. I hated FL Studio once I got the hang of it, and felt I had more creative freedom. I haven't produced in a while, but damn do I miss making hardstyle kicks and trying to switch up the 4/4 beat.

>Studio One 3
it's studio 13 you knob

Exactly the same experience I had. Being able to drop in/create grooves instead of having to de-quantize rhythms by hand has saved me so much time over the few years i've used ableton. Operator was also a great basis for learning the basics of how FM synthesis works, forward years later and I am creating otherworldly DX7/FM8 patches thanks to the knowledge I gained from it.

Very nice. Here’s one of my audiovisual max patches, generates an OpenGL scene and allows sample and synth manipulation with traditional instruments, Mobile phones or body tracking with Kinect

I used DAW's for a short period of time. Cubase was the comfiest one.

And here’s the front end for a generative evolving melody maker which I use to make music to help me sleep on planes.

Max is fantastic.

Ableton.

Used cubase/reason/logic for years and finally got into ableton last year. Definitely not looking back.

If you're having to delay your other tracks to match it soubds like playback is unaffected and there is a difference. Are you using any of the delay compensation features? In earlier versions of 9 there were bugs in these, what version are you using exactly?

then what is?
Pro tools is by far inferior.

or you could just configure reaper for whatever workflow you want

Ah I misread. You have a delay both ways. Definitely check out the latency compensation settings.

>When Reason comes with all your music plugins, synths, drum machines, sound banks ready to go.
And don't forget the physics simulation for patch wires. The most important part.
I use Magix Musik Maker.
+ I got it for free.
- Very few instruments.
- I kind of dislike the GUI.

You have several options.
1.) Get a MIDI foot pedal and map them to the on/off switches on the virtual pedals you use.
2.) Automate it by hand at a certain point in the song so that it just happens automatically while you're playing and you don't have to think about it.
3.) Record more than one take and do it by hand, then do some editing magic to make them fit together.

I give up on Reaper. It's glitchy, unstable, comes with offensively shitty stock plugins and is all-around terrible.
But I love the workflow and nothing even comes close to it in that regard.

Where do I go from here?

>useless plugins that give no insight on what they actually do
That triggers the shit out of me. If you dislike sytrus, harmor, maximus, vocodex, patcher, slicex or basically ANY vaguely new image-line plugin, YOU'RE the retarded one.

d'awwwww

>tfw used pirated Live with launchpad + controllers for everything for years
>last month got a busted MPC1000 really cheap, replaced the pads and shit and payed for JJOS2XL (first time I payed for a license in my life)
Haven't touched my laptop except for ocasionall backups and copying some drumkits to the MPC
feelsgoodman.jpg

>mfw I have all the main FL Studio's plugins as VSTs inside Ableton so I can have the best of both worlds and not have to have a million little useless plugins in my way.

What do you mean routing options?
If you mean within the program you can route audio from and to anywhere.
Just make an audio effect rack where you want to take audio from (with an empty chain that has a unique name), and a compressor in sidechain mode with the blue headphone button activated wherever tou want the audio to go.
Simply set the SC input to the abovementioned rack, and the compressor will output it as SC input (as long as the blue button is pressed).
Not to mention all the things you can do with M4L.

Or did you mean something else?

Being a professional audio engineer mean that 90% of the time places you work at use pro tools.

Forgot to add, some times you don't even need to make the rack if you want to take the audio from a place that's already in the available SC inputs (like a track's mixer, or before/after its effects, or an already present rack, etc.

FL Studio + Ableton Live (+little bit of S1, only for mastering album / EPs)

Very comfy.

That's not really true of any decent studio. While their in-house system may be PT they fully expect to accommodate visiting producers and engineers who want to use their own software by allowing easy integration.

Professional settings where you have deadlines and actual customers, whether it is in music production or post production simply don't hire anyone not efficient in pro tools, accommodating guests isn't on the priority list of a studio that keep customers. You'll literally be laughed out the door of any serious place if you don't know how to use the Pro Tools work space.

>tfw want to switch to linux
>tfw can't because using ableton to make a decent money

Double boot, you shouldn't be using Windows to browse and shitpost if you actually work with Live.
My win partition only has Live, Sound Forge, vsts and audio interface drivers, no wifi or antivirus. I use Ableton every weekend and can't afford it crashing bcs Windows, so I use Ubuntu LTS for everything else

Nah, I don't want to make things more complicated in my life and also mine inspiration might occur in any moment and I should be ready to run a Live instantly if that happens.

I feel the same way everytime I see a DAW thread here. I guess there are a couple of retro tracker users at least!

I use fl studio
I like how the UI actually makes sense unlike Disableton, etc.
I dislike that it doesn't run natively on loonix (but nothing does except shit lmms)

Shit way too complicated for a low IQ subhuman such as I

It's not really that complicated. You just learn the bits you need to do the basics then build on it, just like any other technology.

Do you want to make music? I'm sure someone here could recommend a DAW and/or some resources.

I want to make simple shit. Bleepity bloops and all that shit.

Got a mobile phone/tablet? Try out Caustic 3. It's like a DAW called Reason but stripped back and bleepy bloopy with some decent demo track stuff to give you an idea of how it works.

How does that track go? Beep booo boo boop beep?

>I use Fail Studio

Talking about UI, or UX, Fail Studio is a complete joke, you are forced with the pattern based workflow, that excuse of an arranger is a mess, clips everywhere without cohesion.

The only good things are the Piano Roll, and some plugins (Maximus).

Thanks, I will try this for a while.

>that excuse of an arranger is a mess, clips everywhere without cohesion
You can organize it however you want, peasant.

How about an Electribe 2? You can sketch your ideas on the fly and then export them to Live, or just get an old Thinkpad for shitposting
My point is, if you need Live for work you need to make shure it will always be stable, and having and internet connection is already a risk.
Learned this the hard way

>not using Reaper

It's unironically one of the most powerful and easily the most customisable. Hardly any native vsts worth using but who the fuck uses them for pro work?

Automation; use volume/bypass envelopes to control which tracks are playing when.

Get decent plugins, the workflow is with it.

>peasant.

Big word from someone that uses an oversized HammerHead.

It's one of the few software that has undo/redo for every parameter, VST/i comprise.

I know. The workflow is amazing but it's just really hard to find good plugins.

Which kind of plugins are you looking for, instruments, effects or processors? Free or paid?