Fuck this, RMS

Fuck this, RMS.

I keep on trying a bunch of Linux distributions because I really want to be able to suggest one to my friends but it's no use. All Linux distros are steaming piles of feces'.

>GNOME is bloated apparently
>KDE is full of 1px scitzhofrehnia-tweaks that hide the useful configuration settings
>XFCE is KDE but outdated
>LXDE is XFCE but different
>i3 is great because it has no functionality
But I can't tell my friends they need to ditch their Windows machines for i3, can I?

>Ubuntu is spyware
>Manjaro is for pussies who can't install Arch
>Arch is for teenage bois who can't install Gentoo
>Gentoo is for anti-social neckbearded anxiety-bags
>Elementary is macOS but worse
>Fedora is official NSA/FBI spyware
>Void is hipster
>Debian is obsolete and repositories are stone-agean
>Alpine is for servers lol it's not a desktop os user
>CentOS is for servers lol why would u ever use a server os user

But user, all distros are the same, they're all (GNU/)Linux!
Oh yes!
>X.org tears and runs as root
>Wayland will never be implemented and creates new problems that weren't there
>audio overall is a fuck up
>foss drivers are garbage while proprietary support is half-baked
>configuration kills the man because all .conf files must be edited by hand, which leads to error and frustration
>ALL (GNU especially) DOCUMENTATION IS GARBAGE or from the fifties
>half-baked 3rd party binary distribution which leads to greater fear of platform all over
>repositories and package managers are the implemented alternative but is missing that one package you need and another six are outdated and lacking in already-implemented capabilities
>also don't ever build from source user do you want to end up witch a FRANKEN
>you must learn bash and the common shell commands to fix your pc when it breaks or when you adventurously fuck up something
>NO SYSTEM TO KEEP CONFLICTING DEPENDENCIES ISOLATED FROM EACH OTHER
>systemd dominates

Holy shit just buy a Mac like I did

Other urls found in this thread:

getfedora.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

your just retarded

It would be a good copy pasta for /fglt/.

o shit your right
im sorry user :O

I would be honored DESU

anti-social neckbeard anxiety-bag reporting in, currently installing Gentoo. Git gud faggot

Nice image.

>git gud
so you WANT your obscure os to stay obscure and unsupported, even if you find it superior?

I bet you have an x86 processor nutsack, have fun with your botnet

>GNUlags will defend this
the state of Sup Forums

tfw I'd never understood Matrix before

In what way?

I can't believe I'm actually responding to bait, but here we fucking go...
(1/3)
>GNOME is bloated
No more than WIndows. It's only bloat in comparison to other environments on GNU/Linux.
>KDE is full of 1px scitzhofrehnia-tweaks that hide the useful configuration settings
wat
100% incorrect. XFCE doesn't even use Qt. It uses GTK. Also, yes it's a bit old, but you know what that means? It's stable, and shouldn't break on you ever. It's also lighter weight then most desktops.
>LXDE is XFCE but different
In its modern form (LXQT), it uses the Qt toolkit instead of GTK. So I guess you're right that it's XFCE but different, although it's a bit more different than you give it credit for.
>i3 is great because it has no functionality
It can do just about anything the other environments can do. It just does them VERY differently.
>But I can't tell my friends they need to ditch their Windows machines for i3, can I?
No you can't, and you don't have to. Any of the other listed DEs would have been fine.

>1/3
holy moly

>It's bad.
>I'm not retarded or anything.

Quit trying to use Linux like it's Windows and use it like it's Linux.

(2/3)
>Ubuntu is spyware
Not anymore. They got rid of Unity desktop. The only trace of that shit left is the Amazon webapp they still put on the dock, which you can just get rid of.
>Manjaro is for pussies who can't install Arch
We all start somewhere, and if this is for your friends, I think they would be fine with Manjaro.
>Arch is for teenage bois who can't install Gentoo
This spiral into increasingly complex distros is only for those who actually have an interest in doing so. It's a hobby. If you don't care about the hobby, and just want a reliable distro, use something like Ubuntu or Manjaro.
>Gentoo is for anti-social neckbearded anxiety-bags
Exactly, and those people deserve a distro too.
>Elementary is macOS but worse
I would hesitate to say worse, but it certainly is mac-like.
>Fedora is official NSA/FBI spyware
Only according to some. I personally don't believe that unproven conspiracy theory, and you probably shouldn't either.
>Void is hipster
It is. Hipsters deserve a distro too.
>Debian is obsolete and repositories are stone-agean
If you want to use Debian, and don't want old packages, you can switch to the testing branch, which is pretty up-to-date.
>Alpine is for servers lol it's not a desktop os user
>CentOS is for servers lol why would u ever use a server os user
"Windows Server is for servers lol why would u ever use a server os user"
Same shit.

(3/4)
>But user, all distros are the same, they're all (GNU/)Linux!
To an experienced user, the differences are less noticeable, yes. That's because a poweruser will know how to change DE on the same installation, remove the old one, configure his install exactly how he likes it, etc.
A novice user (we were all novices at one point. no shame in that) may not be able to do this, and as such, the differing out-of-the-box environments for each distro will have a greater meaning.
Indeed.
>Wayland will never be implemented
It already is. Ubuntu and Fedora are using it for GNOME installs.
>and creates new problems that weren't there
Problems that I hear are being addressed by the KDE and Sway projects.
Shouldn't be a problem on a basic distro like Ubuntu or Manjaro. Audio could be better, but it's actually improved in recent years.
>foss drivers are garbage
Are you talking about GPU drivers? AMD's open driver for their newer cards is fantastic from what I hear. Nvidia's is trash, but that's because they're kikes and won't release an open driver. The one that exists had to be reverse-engineered.
>while proprietary support is half-baked
Actually, Nvidia's proprietary driver is apparently pretty solid. Granted, it's not perfect, but whatever. As for AMD's closed component, I'm not really informed on that one. I hear it's unnecessary though
>configuration kills the man because all .conf files must be edited by hand, which leads to error and frustration
As opposed to editing the registry or whatever? I hear that can lead to some frustration, at least from what some Windows users have said.
>ALL (GNU especially) DOCUMENTATION IS GARBAGE or from the fifties
How would you improve it? The documentation explains what the program does, how to use it, and what the options do. What more do you need?

>How would you improve it? The documentation explains what the program does, how to use it, and what the options do. What more do you need?
That user need tutorial videos.

The problem, fundamentally speaking, is Linux being open-source. An Idealist's platform. Too many people can stuff it with theur shit ideas, wrap it in cheap flashy foil, and make the whole platform look unappealing and unprofessional. That, and the dummies making distros on whims could care less about optimization and efficiency, hence the widespread 'bloat' problem on a platform that already struggles to efficiently utilize hardware resources; though the bloat isn't the fault of applications themselves, just inefficiency of the distro. People who make their own shoes often don't polish them, because they see no fault in their creation, and there's no market dynamic to force them to face reality, you know.

(4/4)
>half-baked 3rd party binary distribution which leads to greater fear of platform all over
Are you referring to not having your precious .exe installers? Listen here... GNU/Linux is not Windows.
Let's repeat that.
GNU/Linux is not Windows.
You should be getting your software mostly from the repositories of your distro. In the case that you need to get it another way, there may be a .deb or .rpm package for your distro.
If you weally weally can't live without your pwecious binaries, wait for Flatpak to develop further.
>repositories and package managers are the implemented alternative but is missing that one package you need and another six are outdated and lacking in already-implemented capabilities
That really doesn't happen. And if it does, you are clearly grossly over-exaggerating as a means of finding a "gotcha!" point.
>also don't ever build from source user do you want to end up witch a FRANKEN
I thought that was mostly about messing with your repositories? Why would you not be able to build from source?
>you must learn bash and the common shell commands to fix your pc when it breaks or when you adventurously fuck up something
Telling someone to type is a lot simpler than walking them through
"click this button"
"now click that one"
"scroll down"
"check this box"
"click this button"
"no, not that one!"
etc.
>NO SYSTEM TO KEEP CONFLICTING DEPENDENCIES ISOLATED FROM EACH OTHER
What are you referring to?
>systemd dominates
It's not ideal, but again, if you're not a tech enthusiast or poweruser, you probably shouldn't give a shit.

>Holy shit just buy a Mac like I did
Ya know what? Enjoy it. Enjoy that Mac. Not even pissed about your decision, but what I am concerned about is your critical thinking skills, your inability to adapt to a new environment, and your quickness to give up when success may be just around the corner.
Please take care of yourself...

- - Some random faggot on Sup Forums

This. OP has either never heard of the ArchWiki, which is almost a universal guide to Linux outside of Arch, or can't read.

Or has the attention span of a goldfish and learning is too much work.

And in the rare case it's not in the Atch wiki it will be in the Gentoo wiki.

ps. Install Gentoo

It ended up being 4 parts.

i like this guy in a gay way

Well I happen to be bi.

Do you really expect to be taken seriously when you keep saying GNU/Linux outside of a Stallman pasta, or are you just playing a character?

getfedora.org/

You use FLOSS of course you are

>needing a wiki to use his computer
Things like this is why freetards are such a joke.

GNU/Linux is how I say it. And no, it's not a character.

If you want my reasoning, see my own pasta:

Guys, while a lot of this might be complete autism, I personally think that in this day and age, calling it GNU/Linux actually has some real meaning. There is this little thing called Android, and it uses the Linux kernel, but the rest of the components are non-GNU. Some are even proprietary! However, I have seen normies make the dangerously misleading claim that "Android is Linux!" It technically is, as it uses the Linux Kernel, but it shares nothing else with GNU/Linux distros, particularly their respect for your freedoms.
Because of this, we should say GNU/Linux, so as not to confuse it with the botnet that is Android, or other such projects. By saying GNU/Linux, we make it clear that yes, we are using Linux, but we are also using Free Software.

OwO

Oh boi it's happening
>[gnome is] No more [bloated] than WIndows. It's only bloat in comparison to other environments on GNU/Linux.
That's true. I like GNOME the most desu. I generalised Sup Forums shills on this one.
It really is tho (visually) and it's hard to take seriously because of this. Take the basementlord-level tweaks to their separate thing and make up a simple and effective control panel for normies.
>XFCE, LXDE, LXQT etc.
I've only used xfce of these to be really honest. It just feels unfinished in a KDE way without the KDE Plasma modernity.
>i3 is great.
i3 is really great. I use it exclusively whenever on Linux, but I need a settings panel for small, fast tweaks.
>Any of the other listed DEs would have been fine [for your normie friends]
Here's the thing, bud. These DE's are nowhere near polished enough to break a surface. Windows 10 comes in scrambles of Win95 and Win8.1 but it still has a decent thing going for it because it boots up, launches your programs and handles your configurations. Those DE's do it too, but they're often ugly, rough-looking, rough-feeling, and all over unfinished. And then there's the X window server that fucks them up by their rectums. Linux stands no chance in comparison.

>OP here if it wasn't clear

>Ubuntu is spyware
>Not anymore.
Ubuntu is fine if a little heavyweight, but it's tiny compared to Winblows. Repeating Sup Forums shills here again.
>Manjaro/Arch
These have the problem of being very CLI intensive, but then again, Arch is designed for the masochistic. I'll let it slide on your "something for everyone" -point.
>Gentoo
Let's not talk about Gentoo
>Elementary/Fedora
They just seem redundant although ofc Fedora is ancient.
>Void/Debian/CentOS/Alpine
For the Linux-exited.

But here comes: which of these is for my normie friend who wants Chrome, MS Office and good suspend time/performance on their laptop? There isn't one is there? Ubuntu and Mint do an okay job here but it's really hard to use them beyond very basic tasks like surfing the internet. Want to install LibreOffice? Go to a scary terminal, ask around on the internet, read man pages in the worst case. Want to delete something? It's another headache.

Linuxfags keep telling us that we "shouldn't try to use Linux like it's Windows", but is a fully graphical front-end really too much to ask in 2018? Macs have a terminal with full-size BSD tools inside too, but your Apple fanboy of a friend never brings that up, does he? It's just there because someone might want to use rsync over their Linux servers etc., or maybe they're used to Linux and they choose to use it. But they never HAVE to.

I'm okay with it, but I can't fake it: it takes unnecessary time figuring out how tools work when you could be click-guessing on a 3-layer settings panel and 90% of the time get it right right away, 10% of the time eventually. Linux manpages are really horrible most of the time, and all X related is overly complex to the point of being humorous.

>Indeed.
What are you even implying? That it's fine that screen tearing is still a huge issue after 20 odd years?
> [Wayland] creates new problems that weren't there
>Problems that I hear are being addressed by the KDE and Sway projects.
Another bad habit of the FOSS community. One project goes to a bad directions, but we want to implement it so other projects start tuning their products to mitigate the problems of the first program. This is just bad practice. X is ancient, can't we get it right this time? Windows hasn't had these problems ever since 1995. That was 23 years ago. They ran this thing flawlessly on DOS. What's the hold up?
>Shouldn't be a problem on a basic distro like Ubuntu or Manjaro.
True, but professional audio workers will never give Linux a chance if they can't even get their tools working. Moreover, there are huge but tiny differences among distributions as to how well sound is implemented and by what route. source: experience
>foss [GPU] drivers are garbage
I'm an Nvidia user so it's a "doesn't work on my machine" type of sentence. Most are thought. But I have to be willing to admit that Nvidia is in far greater responsibility of this problem then the FOSS community. The fact we even HAVE a foss nvidia driver is beyond me.
>As opposed to editing the registry or whatever?
Registry editing is a meme that needs to die. I have used Windows primarily for 10+ years and I never had to set anything up in the registry unless I was trying to get around something Microsoft had chosen to hide from the end user. Linuxfags live in this delusion that nothing should be hidden from the end-user, and it's a big part why Linux isn't taking off.

>Holy shit just buy a Mac like I did
This will not help, I say it as a mac user.

The only solution is LFS.
You made it, you use it.

This one's a doozy. This one's the one where you get the "go bac to /W/indows /r/edditor"
I AM referring to the precious .exe installers. Or, alternatively, the much better implemented .dmg disk files and .app executables of the Mac system.
I to this day have no idea what is executable in Linux. These files usually have no extension whatsoever. Major hardship for newcomers.
Fez, I believe, had a very straight forward Linux installer that really just werked and I remember how blown away I was by this, because I had never seen anything like it.
Moreover, when some tarball is unpacked on Linux and the game/whatever executed, the user is only greeted with nothing or cryptic error messages that vaguely point to the missing libraries that could count in dozens altogether. Very vaguely, too. And then you go hunting for a complete list of the needed dependencies only to realize they conflict with some already installed and used.
I never understood how on Linux, the OS only allows for one instance of a package at a time. I understand it would be better if no duplicates complicate the system, but there really is no plan B for when the duplicates would really be needed. In windows? They go by the version number, so install as many as you like. Yes, it's a bad practice, and yes, it just werkz.
>Telling someone to type is a lot simpler than walking them through [clicking buttons]
If they know how to copy and paste from a terminal window, how to travel the system directories, how to tell where their specific files are located at etc. But when you first install Linux, these issues are huge. And I don't blame the people that get dizzy and angry trying to fight Linux. They really shouldn't have to be fixing their machine on a command line in this day and age. And don't get me wrong, having a CLI is great, it's become a must for me and I hate Windows for fucking this up. But you shouldn't HAVE TO resort to it. A modern OS shouldn't be BASED on it.

There is a huge difference between being used to Windows and switching to Linux, and merely using Linux with no prior expectations. That is what people mean when they say "Don't use Linux like windows". People pretend time and time again that the terminal boogieman is out to get them. Linux is an OS that is more straightforward, raw, compared to Mac and Windows. Linux in it's more pure? forms like Arch, Gentoo or even Linux from scratch tells you 'Hey! Things you wanna do are this complicated. Lets give it a honest shot.' People are immediately intimidated by this, and perpetuate the stereotype that says 'you need to know bash very well to even install a program'. But nothing could be further from the truth, for more begginer/usability oriented distros already have GUI installers for software, and require 0 use of the terminal outside troubleshooting. And like the fellow before me mentioned, helping people by pasting commands to them to run is easier than telling them to click through a maze of windows (if the problem is even solvable in the respective OS). The polish of DEs is perhaps the your only solid argument here, but using distros that integrate certain DEs well alleviate this (for example openSuse with KDE).
>Linuxfags live in this delusion that nothing should be hidden from the end-user, and it's a big part why Linux isn't taking off.
You may be right here. Baby duck syndrome (among other things here) is a hellvua drug. Nothing should indeed be hidden from the user. Going to extremes to prevent people from making mistakes is a huge part of why W10 and co. are such a mess.

So what do you winblow and mactoddlers do? Call up Microsoft support when you BSOD or the computer becomes unusable from ntfs and the shitty registry? Bring it to apple for them to fix simple issues? Being able to fix things is important. If you can't learn how to figure out how to fix things yourself, then you really need to grow up. Doing a google/wiki search is much faster than calling some pajeet

>manpages are bad
And this is why the tech world has gone to shit. Faggots like you don't give a shit about the inner workings and just cry for more guis. Grow the fuck up and learn how to type in a fucking terminal. Fancy UI is bloat, restrictive, and breaks a lot. Take a fucking look at modern webpages for example.

I actually meant that things should be hidden from the user to streamline and simplify the os. But unlike Apple before it and Microsoft now, they should never be locked away. They should be accessible by those who know what they're up against, but well out of the normie 50yo mommies way.

Also there are no people in the world that don't come from windows. Everyone does. We should help them settle. But you're mainly correct on all the facts otherwise.

>registry editing not needed
Maybe in 7. Have you taken a fucking look in 10 though? I spent 6 fucking hours digging through the registry, policy managers, and task schedulers to doable all the extra data collection, forced updates, and bloat microshit thought would be "good"

hold up asshat
I meant that especially GNU man pages are literally shit
It feels like I need a degree on Information Technology to even know what half of those things in man bash mean.
It's so counter-intuitive that it hurts. And I really try to exclusively use man pages cause I believe an OS should speak for itself, I should need help from a fucking forum or IRC.
A man page could be like a manual but instead it's an engineers charts for other software programmers. This is the case with 90% of all Linux packages.

>needing help to install programs
>unable to just compile from source
>wants a graphical installer
Jesus Christ, since when did Sup Forums end up with little children crying about being unable to find the installer?

Read up forums and check settings. Windows crashes alot but it breaks very rarely. BSOD is alike to a kernel panic that is fixed on reboot. NTFS has given me 0 problems on the course of my fucking life. Linux has given me 300 in the two-three years I have used it "seriously".

Give me an example of what is so hard to understand in a common program 's man page. All of those "hard" instructions can also be better explained online

what did he mean by this?

Listen dipshit I can manage a Void installation with polybar built from source (since it isn't included in the repos as of last november or smth) but I guess you want your shitty obscure to stay just that, shitty and obscure and 40 years behind it's time.

Eat a bag of dicks you dick, you shouldn't have to LEARN how to use an operating system. You should get to learn eventually how to do advanced IT stuff on it IF YOU'RE WILLING, not google up whether your machine has acpi or not so you can wait for your gentoo kernel to compile correctly this time

I never heard of those. But I dual boot Windows for >GAYEMS and then boot into Linux for all personal information related so I don't really give a fuck about the settings on my Windows installation

Right, except the user who I replied to said reading wikis is too hard. How different is that from digging through forums? Also, do you realize why windows machines get slower and slower? Part of the reason is defragmentation caused by the shitty ntfs. And do you actually think BSODs aren't a problem? I've gotten about 30 in my last ten years on multiple computers while I only had 2 kernel panics in linux before (and those started when I just began to use linux)

it's true, all of it

Then don't fucking use linux if you are just gonna be a simple minded dumbass who thinks a monitor is the computer. It's meant for people who go real in depth. Once you start mixing its usage purposes, you start getting mutt OSes like that windows 8.

>All of those "hard" instructions can also be better explained online
Why the fuck should I have to look something up online and have a person explain it to me just so I can I dunno, copy a file over to multiple directories? Can cp even do that?

> An interactive shell is one started without non-option arguments and
> without the -c option whose standard input and error are both connected
> to terminals (as determined by isatty(3)), or one started with the -i
> option. PS1 is set and $- includes i if bash is interactive, allowing
> a shell script or a startup file to test this state.
I still have no fucking clue what is an interactive shell and what it does, or why I should want to use one. And if you can explain it to my (kindly) simpler, why shouldn't the simpler explanation be in the man file, the very first document you look up when problems come up?

This shit is written for Computer Science university students and professors, by the same people.

You should give a fuck even if you only use windows for vidya. Literally I would hate to have a automatic system update in a middle of a match. Plus, I also heard that the recent updates started causing games to drop frame rate.

>not knowing how to use cp
Cmon now, I started using linux back in middle school. It was daunting at first, but it gets easier eventually. Also, you literally don't need to know what every command does. The basics can be understood very quickly.

Yeah it's probably the Spectre+Meltdown patch (right?). It's a huge thing over all x86 processors right now. Every modern home computer took a performance hit because the patches had to fix in software a hardware vulnerability of Intel (and AMD to lesser extent) CPU's

it's okay user
you really shouldn't be using linux if you're this willfully ignorant

Sure, but I stand my ground all the same. I shouldn't have to "learn" an OS at this day and age.

Plus all the big problems really stem from the complexity of the small problems. Your screen is black? Well that could be for a million reasons, so have fun checking all your config files by hand, getting creative. I don't want to have to debug my computer to get to SpankBang. How is this still allowed?

And yes, I do admit it: I am exaggerating the quantity of these os-breaking problems and errors. But take a look online, they're happening all the time and everywhere. This thread isn't about me not using or being able to use Linux, it's about how the year of desktop Linux could be right now since Microsoft is fucking up Windows an update after update, but Linux is such a steaming pile that people STILL would rather use Windows 10.

I really hope we can get un-Googled Funchia OS or whatever it was called. Could it be it finally emerges?

thanks for shedding light on me user
I feel smarter now
I now know how to overcome these obstacles that I just laid perfectly clear but you proceeded not to answer in any way.
Have a :^)

Nah, it was before the patches. I think it was creators update. I didn't use the patches though. I pretty much gave up on security and privacy on a hardware level. Who knows how many fucking problems there are that aren't researched or written about. I remember one of my friends laptop from asus and apparently it was advertised for its 745m chip. But apparently, asus was too incompetent to write proper bios firmware and caused the bios to periodically not detect the card for months (and many other people had the same problems too). Not a single bios update fixed it

Linux is not meant for the average consumer. It's purpose will be destroyed if consumers start using it. Even if it's interface doesn't get messed up, it will become a target for viruses when it becomes popular.

I really, really want to say
>buying asus ever
But I do get the point

Security through obscurity, ha?
I thought it was security through transparency and the millions of koders that fix kernel level bugs together in massive LAN parties 24 days a month?

Nah, I'm just shitposting at this point. Gnight yall

Here's a question I always had. What exactly is wrong with asus? I heard a ton of bad stuff about them, but my experience with them motherboard and laptop wise has been pretty good. The only problem I ever had that really pissed me off is when their bios update cut my ram speed by nearly half.

Oh btw this guy got it but got ignored all over. Agreed about 100%

if you honestly fail to understand why linux doesn't make you download .exe installers from softronic to be able to get any software you're beyond educating

>I to this day have no idea what is executable in Linux
this is not hard to figure out

>when some tarball is unpacked on Linux
what the fuck are you doing trying to install software like this? the point of a package manager is you don't need to do this because it's needlessly complicated

>I never understood how on Linux, the OS only allows for one instance of a package at a time
because you don't actually need to go and get 27 different versions of 43 different dll files to get something to run on linux

basically what you're telling us is you tried linux for 5 minutes and didn't like it because it wasn't windows

post legs and a/s/l

>basically what you're telling us is you tried linux for 5 minutes and didn't like it because it wasn't windows
Windows how? As in, an OS that can be written and it can use 3rd party software made available elsewhere than on the operating system itself?

I have quite gotten used to that, yes. Using software on my computer, you know?

>unpacking tarballs
That's actually done pretty often. A lot of pretty cool programs aren't provided in packet managers and need to be compiled from source

>thinking linux doesn't have 3rd party software
Jesus Christ, you are fucking retarded

>he installed GNU because of freedum
>he thinks he's free now where he's limited to the strictly ruled repository of his operating system

Quit being acoustic, your friends are probably a bunch of normies who can't even tell the difference between Windows 8 and Windows 10.

>thinking you can only install from packet managers
Since when did the average IQ on Sup Forums dip below 50. Winbabies like you need to be shot. You fuckers criticize something you never used or tried.

are you honestly not capable of comprehending that there is software available on the repository?

which package managers?
the only times I've had to install software that's not on the official repository is with debian based distros and you can literally just add another repository
you shouldn't honestly need to compile software beyond actual power user shit

>strictly ruled repository of his operating system
I have not yet found the repository of my current distro lacking and I've used it for 2 years now
I'll admit I don't know what the fuck kind of software you're trying to get but in my experience distro repositories tend to be pretty fucking thoroughly comprehensive

>what the fuck are you doing trying to install software like this? the point of a package manager is you don't need to do this because it's needlessly complicated
>thinking you can only install from packet managers

>the absolute state of Sup Forums

>everyone who disagrees with me is the same person
did you forget to take your meds?

No, but I think it is safe to assume that there are very few people who are retarded enough to think that one can only install from a packet manager. That's like saying you can only install from the Windows store

>scitzhofrehnia

No, but I think it is safe to assume that there is are very few people who think that they can only install from a packet manager. There are very few retards like that.

>contradicting information is shouted at me from two directions
>I notify them about this
>I am delusional, they say
>this is the year of the linux desktop

If I had ten dollars for each IQ point of yours I couldn't even buy smokes with the matches

>everyone who disagrees with me should have the same opinion
uh huh

the point is you should never need to install anything that isn't from the package manager
sure you CAN but if you're doing that beyond the absolute most obscure edge cases you're doing it wrong

Well I used it a lot for some projects. It's not obscure and rare to try out programs not in your package manager. For some, yes. For others, no.

do you have a legitimate case of autism?
no, everyone who isn't you isn't required to have the same opinion
just because some other person who also isn't you has a different opinion to me doesn't mean either of us are in any way inconsistent
how is this a hard concept to grasp?

>I generalised Sup Forums shills on this one.
Yeah ya did. GNOME isn't my cup of tea, but I can see why people like it.
>It really is tho (visually) and it's hard to take seriously because of this. Take the basementlord-level tweaks to their separate thing and make up a simple and effective control panel for normies.
I'm admittedly not a KDE expert, but I seem to remember the modern Plasma 5 version having a control panel. I don't know when the last time you used KDE was though, and maybe I'm missing something, but I thought for sure there was a settings menu.
>I've only used xfce of these to be really honest. It just feels unfinished in a KDE way without the KDE Plasma modernity.
I'm not sure what makes you consider it unfinished, or similar to KDE. LXQT, from what I experienced, seems like the lower-resource, "lite" version of KDE. Even more so in the future, because it will soon be using KDE's window manager instead of openbox.
>i3 is really great. I use it exclusively whenever on Linux, but I need a settings panel for small, fast tweaks.
What tweaks? Are you talking about having the a special little menu for configuring your i3 settings? The problem with that is that there still needs to be a config file. People like to share their dotfiles for these tiling WMs sometimes. They put their config files up on Github, so if that's the kind of settings you're talking about, I'm not sure how a settings menu would work in the context of a lightweight, portable, and shareable config file.

>Here's the thing, bud. These DE's are nowhere near polished enough to break a surface
I fail to see how.
>they're often ugly, rough-looking, rough-feeling, and all over unfinished
I'm sorry, I really don't see how they are any of these things, especially in modern, more popular DEs like GNOME and KDE. They look about as polished and usable as Windows or MacOS.
Maybe they just feel different to you?

Now, modern flat windows and Apple UI are another story. Metro has to be the ugliest invention ever.

Who the hell unpacks tarballs anymore? If I want something from source, 99% of the time I just git clone the repo.

>Repeating Sup Forums shills here again.
All good. Often, Sup Forums will be fairly truthful, but just a bit off the mark
GNOME is bloated... only in comparison to other GNU/Linux DEs
Ubuntu is botnet... in older releases.
>These have the problem of being very CLI intensive, but then again, Arch is designed for the masochistic. I'll let it slide on your "something for everyone" -point.
Yeah, there's some people who don't want extra GUI shit bloating up their system. They would be happy with Arch or Gentoo or Void or whatever. Some people want/need a GUI, and there's distros like Ubuntu for them.
>Let's not talk about Gentoo
You were the one that brought it up?
>They just seem redundant although ofc Fedora is ancient.
Fedora is not ancient. It gets updates very frequently, and theres even a rawhide version if you want Arch-levels of bleeding edge.
>But here comes: which of these is for my normie friend
let's break this down
>Chrome
Chromium is in most distros, and almost all of them come with Firefox
and if that's not good enough, I think Google themselves provide packages for common distros.
the cult of Chrome honestly confuses me greatly. What is it that Chrome can do that Firefox and Chromium can't, and don't these people care about their privacy?
>MS Office
The lack of this software is not a fault of GNU/Linux devs, but a fault of Microsoft because they won't release it. LibreOffice works just fine though (I use it for college assignments)
>Want to install LibreOffice?
They should be installed automatically and even placed in the dock for you. At least they were last time I checked.
>Go to a scary terminal
...or, ya know, a graphical frontend. Something that is preinstalled on Ubuntu.
>Want to delete something? It's another headache.
Right clicking is hard? It's like in your weird train of thought when discussing packages, you thought "TERMINAL," and then never left that thought. DEs allow you to "move to trash" just like anything else.

>I'm not sure how a settings menu would work in the context of a lightweight, portable, and shareable config file.
Winbabies want 1 settings menu per 1 config file, because they are to lazy to read about options in a manpage.

>is a fully graphical front-end really too much to ask in 2018?
What else do you need one for? Have you actually taken a look at any of the settings menus in the DEs we're talking about, or are you just assuming everything has to be done in a terminal on those?
>What are you even implying? That it's fine that screen tearing is still a huge issue after 20 odd years?
No, what I'm saying is that I know it's an issue, and that we need to get rid of it and replace it with Waymeme.
>One project goes to a bad directions, but we want to implement it so other projects start tuning their products to mitigate the problems of the first program.
Pic related. Please phrase this better, and maybe give a good example so I know what you're talking about.
>Windows hasn't had these problems ever since 1995. That was 23 years ago. They ran this thing flawlessly on DOS. What's the hold up?
Oh yeah, Windows 98 wasn't security swiss cheese, even at the time. Blue screens didn't happen back in the WinXP era. Vista wasn't a pile of garbage on launch. Windows 8 didn't have a fucktarded start menu.
I can tell that you REALLY look at Windows with rose tinted glasses. Like nothing they have ever done was flawed. It was, but Microsoft's business tactics at the time, and the fact that GNU/Linux was still in a very early state made it so that Windows became the standard in people's minds, and it's really hard to change a standard.

Debian with GNOME

Keep arguing faggots. Too bad 2018 is the YEAR OF THE BSD DESKTOP and by 2020, it will be the year of TEMPLEOS

Terry will be alive in 2020? Neat.

Yes. And not only will templeos be used everywhere by 2020, but there won't be any 4k around. Rather, humans will free themselves from the cia niggers and only use God's approved resolution, 640*480 with 16 colors only.

>True, but professional audio workers will never give Linux a chance if they can't even get their tools working.
Doesn't Ubuntu have a spin dedicated entirely to audio production?
>But I have to be willing to admit that Nvidia is in far greater responsibility of this problem then the FOSS community. The fact we even HAVE a foss nvidia driver is beyond me.
Yeah, even though nouveau is shit, the fact that they were able to reverse-engineer so much is amazing.
>Linuxfags live in this delusion that nothing should be hidden from the end-user
We've been over this. The amount of CLI usage needed to change things in a DE is greatly over-exaggerated, and most of it can be found in a GUI.
>and it's a big part why Linux isn't taking off.
While I agree that more could be done to improve the experience, I think part of it might be that people are just so used to how Windows works, they expect everything to work just like Windows. Again, a standard is hard to break once it has been set.
>This one's a doozy. This one's the one where you get the "go bac to /W/indows /r/edditor"
ok, already starting off like an asshole. G r e a t!
>I AM referring to the precious .exe installers. Or, alternatively, the much better implemented .dmg disk files and .app executables of the Mac system.
user, it's called a package manager. Use it. There's even one of those GUI frontends for it that you love so much.
You're basically saying that in order for an OS to be good or usable in your eyes, it has to be a carbon copy of whatever Microsoft does.
>I to this day have no idea what is executable in Linux. These files usually have no extension whatsoever. Major hardship for newcomers.
GNU/Linux does not use extensions to determine file type. That's why you can make a text file that doesn't end in .txt, and the OS still knows it's a text file.
The GUI file manager explains what the files are, and if you're doing this from CLI, there's the "file" command.

>>configuration kills the man because all .conf files must be edited by hand, which leads to error and frustration
We're working on that, family

>I want to clik 'next' a bunch of times and for everthing to be just the way I laik it. I literally dun care about anyfing else. Therefor, Linux sux.

Funny. I just use the debian wiki.
Oh and op is telling us to buy a mac
Just beware apple hires shills to post on here. I think most Sup Forums tards know this. Also debian is the best distro. Only problem with debian is there is a little learning curve and has systemd but it's literally the best distro

>Not using Solus
Found your problem

>liking a format literally called "dmg", which is short for DAMAGE

you sure have a dmgd brain.