Is there a practical use for minicomputers?

Is there a practical use for minicomputers?

This little guy is being sold for 45$ in my country. Ofcourse you need to buy extensions like power supply unit and memory card for it to be usable.

I am thinking about getting one as a second desk top computer for the rare cases when i have someone over and using my CPU.(Once a week)

Make them use the Pi and use your own computer.

any software you dont want always consuming full power on a computer 100+ watts vs 1.2
gpio is very useful for flashing 3v chips and serial comms also flashing leds, buzzers, reading sensors
able to remove ME from intel motherboard firmwares
able to unbrick routers with them
the desktop mode is pretty usable, its not great but its usable, compilation times for large projects for example suck compared to a real processor, youtube is kinda slow, native video works great

almost anything is more useful than a rasp pi

>#girlswhocode #womenintech #metoo
That's about it. Functioning adults use actual computers

you can get an orangepi chink knockoff from aliexpress for 5 bucks, it'll do. i wouldn't pay $45 for a rpi

I'm more confused about the purpose of those Intel computing sticks. Like, you really need a portable computer but the screen, touchpad and keyboard are optional?

>minicomputers

The VAX was certainly a great machine, but I think it's a little too outdated to do much of anything today.

I am a guy and i was not really into tech until i went to a STEM related uni. Go ahead and bully me.
I heard they were 10$ and i hate ordering things from China as it is very likely to be "inspected" by customs which charge 20$ for opening the packet.

They even charged me for the book i ordered on Amazon.

>Functioning adults

I chuckled because i am a high functional autists. I even go around wearing "please be patient i have autism shirt".

Turned mine into a media server using LibreELEC.

An old used thinkpad will be infinitely more useful, unless you want to build a low power server or something else running 24/7

Or use the GPIO pins

How much money did you invest into it?
I have considered that because for one i do not have any screen to use for the minicomputer.

And secondly i might need a laptop for uni or work later on.

But there is some appeal to this as a small project to have fun with?

My workplace uses them and similar devices in their products. If you need a cheap, portable device to send and receive data from sensors they can be useful.

pi-hole

it sat collecting dust until I learned about PI HOLE

I do not get the meme. Please tell me more

I used to use mine as a HTPC, but it wasn't fast enough to do 4K so now it's just a repeater.

I use raspberry pis for watching TV and hosting a simple web server. It's got enough juice to mine monero too!

>he doesn't know how to use goggle

Minicomputers are hella practical. Don't listen to those shitstains at MITS.

I stopped using google since i had a nightmare about it.

In it i was blissfuly browsing holocaust denying articles when i saw a monster in the reflection of my window. A jew has managed to creep up on me, climbing the wall of my house like a lizzard. Before i could close the window he leaped in and sank his large teeth into my throat.

I tried to fight him off but i have lost too much blood and strenght was leaving my body. I could feel my clothes getting wet from all the blood.

Then i woke up cold and covered in my urine.

I used one of these as my homeserver and as a webserver.
>100% uptime for 1.5 years
>cost me about 1 buck in power
>setup took an hour

A silly question but how high was the traffic on the website that you hosted and how much internet speed did it consume to do so?

Same here. Used an old T23 but I was worried about the chink charger catching fire when I wasn't home.

i used it as a musicbot for discord server. It was kinda fun, but now all it does is collect dust.