Gnome strikes again

Why are Gnome fags consistently so fucking awful and retarded?
Why are they against features?
Why are they against customization?
Why are they against standardization?
Why are they trying to fragment the Linux desktop all the time?
Do (You) use Gnome, user? If so, how do you sleep at night?

Other urls found in this thread:

infoworld.com/article/2613816/linux/gnome-co-founder-explains-why-he-dumped-linux-for-mac.html
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTY2Mjc
kver.wordpress.com/2014/10/25/presenting-dwd-a-candidate-for-kde-window-decorations/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Gnome sucks

I sleep very bad. What DE i should use instead of gnome? (I tried kde, but it's awful)

Microsoft Windows doesn't have this problem.

xfce

I sleep perfectly well, gnome is great and does exactly what I want.

>our wm is fucking useless so no one should have title bars!
Typical G*ome devs.

>Why are Gnome fags consistently so fucking awful and retarded?
The main GNOME dev uses a macbook. He and the other people see GNOME as a design project and not as something that is used on actual computers. And worst of all, they aren't even good at design.

Mactoddlers in a nutshell.

>>apps

Into the trash it goes.

Ouch!

GNOME 2 and KDE 3 were really good, so MS felt threatened
I guess they secretly infiltrated both projects and we got the unstable garbage called KDE 4 and GNOME 3 that was supposedly designed for touch but even fails on tablets.

Today: Unity 7.5
Soon: Kool Desktop Environment

Not even, proper mactoddlers all follow Apple's Human Interface Guidelines.
These idiots are literally below mactoddlers.

I have no idea what XFCE is or does sorry.

Not surprising. Do you have a source so I can add it to my collection?

This is exactly what we're going to end up with on Linux if the Gnome developers have their way. Every application drawing its own client-side crap, inconsistent from everything else, instead of having it all uniform and standardized.

Fucking redhat

infoworld.com/article/2613816/linux/gnome-co-founder-explains-why-he-dumped-linux-for-mac.html

>This is exactly what we're going to end up with on Linux
>end up with
kek

>Running Short on money
>The outreach program for women (cis and trans)
i still wonder how companies manage to fall for this bullshit scam, no wonder why gnome is so shit now

The Monofags and open source fags got replaced by SJW's from 2010 onward, leading to GNOME's downhill. Looking at 2008 gnome screenshots makes me wanna cry, it was so perfect and look at it now.

Too bad that KDE also looks like garbage

Now im switching to KDE neon

It's a little unsettling that Gnome devs are now just realizing that the window decorations suck. Am I supposed to believe that they've just been using the default Gnome and don't make any changes?

I don't really run into the issue that this image is describing, and while I think a large part of this is again that they run Gnome with no changes I honestly don't run too many changes. Most of the programs I run use the old style header, but the ones that use the thick headers typically have UI elements integrated into the header like pic related.

I actually really like Gnome. It's very smooth and easy to use. I used to be a hardcore Mate user but it runs incredibly buggy on Debian, and three months of XFCE was enough to know it wasn't much better. I used to really hate Gnome 3 but a lot of the gripes that I've had with previous releases have been fixed.

KDE 3.5 was fucking god tier, like a clean and professional version of XP even their sounds were ahead of its time

By the way, it's still semi-alive as Trinity DE

an extra titlebar is ugly af so this change is great

why cry when you can use mate?

Isn't this a good thing though? Empty title bars are garbage.

Mate is crapware.

when will gnome just finall die forever
god damn honestly the whole Linux ecosystem woul be better of if no one had to consider anything GNOME

>something nonstandard is good
MATE is practically dead, as is compiz.

because it switched to GTK3 and is adopting gnome apps now so it's worthless

Open Sores was a mistake.

Gnome is great when you install a half dozen user extensions.
It really shows that the Gnome Devs don't actually use gnome.

A shame.

Miguel de Icaza hasn't been anything close to "the main GNOME dev" in like 1000 years.
He's just a Microsoft shill now.

>choice is bad
Back to windows.

>choice is good
This is how GNOME became what it is.

>user extensions.
Which break after every major update
Just like all other GTK3 applications

Then don't use GNOME.

>>choice is good
*forks your DE*
Heh, nothing personnell, kid.

Nice proprietary software, faggots

Holy shit. Is this real?

>just don't use something that's the default DE for 95% of distros and the only DE that has any kind of support
The state of loonix.

>>something nonstandard is good
good but nonstandard design can be better than bad but standardized design
ideally the WM would have a client-side option to toggle this behavior so users who strongly dislike it can still use classic controlled-by-WM-only title bars

>no games
>complain about no games
>games
>complain about games

Don't talk about GNU/Linux if you know nothing about it. There are plenty of other DEs and WMs that are well supported. There are plenty of distros that don't use GNOME by default or offer an ISO with a different DE by default.

>Udindu
Into the trash it goes.

Name another DE other than GNOME with proper HiDPI support.
PROTIP: You can't.

It''s an old article, but yes.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTY2Mjc

then make it the standard idc but as it stands this is a huge improvement since those titlebars are ugly and pointless

It's not even about the WM
It's that GNOME devs force their garbage onto users of other DEs which look differently and expect standard title bars

>Name another DE other than GNOME with proper HiDPI support.
Pantheon

KDE and Cinnamon

Wrong.

Also wrong.

Anyone else plan on using pic related for a few more years even though it's getting no more real updates? Unity is the DE that has caused me the least amount of issues.

Nice arguments shitposter, fuck Gnome.

> slackware
> relevant since the mid 90s
RedHat and Debian were 'cancer' once upon a time too. Shit, modern Red Hat is built on the Yellowdog Update Manager, and barely anybody even remembers that distro.

>it's wrong because I say so
Okay gnome shill.

Today I had to uninstall the 'places' extension (which was a default feature in Gnome2) because it would logout (CRASH) Gnome when I mounted anything.

Tell that to i3wm fags (the non-retarded ones that don't use gaps)
Wasting screen real-estate should be a crime.

>he hasn't switched to a tiling window manager yet

>needing a graphical environment
>needing terminals
>not running everything through punchcard code

>he hasn't switched to a tiling window manager yet
They are good for exactly 2 things:
- Full screen shitposting
- Pretending you're a linux pro because you have a few terminals open

>modern Red Hat is built on the Yellowdog Update Manager
Didn't they switch from Yum to DNF?

>any other os thread
>LMAO WANGBLOWZ AND FAGOS SUX!!
>this entire thread
>the state of loonix

>Full screen shitposting
Why would you need anything else?

Holy shit for fucks sake why is everyone on the free software world intentionally making things objectively worse?

lad, winblows are doing the same thing.
expect to see more of it in the next 2-3 major updates.

Linux is a kernal.

You might as well use pantheon at this point

Hmm, seems like the GNOME guys have a point about useless whitespace in title bars, but non-GNOME guys have a point about nonstandard graphical elements controlled by individual third-party programs. Is there some kind of compromise between the two that can be made? I like the idea of at least making it a user-selectable option. What about other possibilities?

Huh? What are your tastes, user? I have a lot of good Plasma desktops saved.

>MATE is practically dead
gnome 2 was the best DE, what's there to do other than maintaining it in working order? The only issues I remember having was when it was fresh and some bits haven't been packaged for mate yet (system monitor applet was missing at first, if I remember right).

I’m a sysadmin at work and have been using fedora with gnome for 3 years and it works perfect for me, why is everyone so autistic about a DE?

Sway and KDE agreed on a protocol for this stuff. GNOME only had to listen.

I actually did for a while, but that was years ago and I haven't kept up with it since.
Gnome3 has the 'Activities' view which is nice.

Its funny that Pantheon is just a functional gnome3.

uwu how was this done?
I had a bad experience with plasma4 and early plasma5 years ago. I seemed really unstable (even more than gnome), ugly and hard to customize without i3wm levels of autism.

it sorta makes sense though.
Firefox on win7 has already done this, the minimize, close, and the one that always changes are all on the same line as the tabs.
it makes it super annoying to move the window around though.

user, this change is going to *cause* an extra titlebar. Your normal standardized WM one, and then the gay Gnome headbar underneath. Instead of just having one standardized bar. Plasma makes good use of the titlebar with things like the application menu integrated into it, and the easy access to KWin rules. KDE also have a protocol in the works for negotiating with the compositor to get custom controls added to the server side decoration. That's how it should be. This Gnome shit is just cancer, like always.

Empty title bars are garbage. That doesn't mean this is the solution. See KDE and Unity for titlebars done right. Functional, unified, and standardized, and with no special work on the part of individual application developers.

Dumb question: Why does it need to be all uniform and standardized? Everybody knows what a context menu is regardless of font size, frame thickness, color, etc.

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.

As usual KDE does it right.
kver.wordpress.com/2014/10/25/presenting-dwd-a-candidate-for-kde-window-decorations/

openSUSE doens't have this problem.

DWD;
What's this?!

Wait am i blind?

The only one out of place to me is firefox.

Another problem of header bars instead of standard application menus is that it kills the great keyboard functionality you get with the HUD in Unity, MATE, and KDE (soon). Fuck using the keyboard to quickly search through menus, right? Let's just touch those big buttons in the titlebar instead.

because having everything pointlessly inconsistent makes it look awful, go look at idk about you but I'd much rather the same component look the same across different programs

>font size, frame thickness, color, etc.
these are all decided by your gtk theme and are still going to be consistent even with CSD

>A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
user, what in the actual fuck are you trying to say?

that happened a while back and for some reason everyone's still using Yum

>features
>customization

i don't care about this shit. i like gnome because it's simple. i like the shortcut keys for gnome

you can switch between windows using the windows key and tab
you can switch language input by using the windows key and space

1300 mb of ram is well worth the screentear free(wayland) experience that other desktop environments don't have(mate, xfce)

video is looks better with wayland than with compiz. you can compare the two and notice a difference.compiz sucks in comparison

>Introducing DWD
>So, what is DWD?
>What could DWD do for you?
>What would DWD look like?
>How might DWD work?

video looks better*

I for one join the CSD revolution, You title bar fags are in the wrong side of story. You will have the same destiny as Unity and anyone who opposes GNOME. KDE is next.

Just put the menu bar to the top.

>fagos
Into the trash it goes.

Woah, 28 pixels of extra vertical space.

>linux

>someone ported Raleigh to GTK3
yay

$ ll `which yum`
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 3 Nov 29 04:48 /usr/bin/yum -> dnf

dnf is just a rewrite of yum. The user facing aspect is exactly the same afaik.