Linux handheld/UMPC thread

All handheld devices that run the Linux kernel and non google/android userland welcome.
We have new developments on the RS-97!
>There's a new dmenu that doesn't look like total shit!
>GB/C finally works. Sound is just a little bit off but it runs full speed

What UMPC can I get in less than $50 overseas?

Why not a netbook?

Too big
Maybe try getting a nanonote or leemote?

Here's dmenu
It's no gmenu2x but it'll do for the time being.

Aren't Lemotes netbooks?

Gameboy is looking great

You can stretch it out as well

Are they?
I thought stallman kept it in his pocket and shit

Maybe he just has big pockets.

All I know is that he autistically only used that very underpowered machine as his main computer for years until it got stolen or something.

Say, if you wanted to run a game that allows 30fps and 60fps. Would the 60fps drain the battery faster?

Like on one of these chink handhelds?
If a game is designed around 60 fps and you try to play it at 30 that's literally halfspeed

What the fuck

>cherry coke
Nice

Explain to me why you can't just buy a cheap piece of shit prepaid android device and chroot debian on it?
With a bluetooth keyboard and a stand, it's already superior to a handheld UMPC shitheap, on paper anyways.

must be nice to still have the hands of a child

>take a piece of garbage cpu
>stick a bastardized linux kernel
>stack a fucking java vm on top of it
>Install a chroot piggybacking off that shitty kernel
>access it through the java vm through a poorly written VNC client
How about no.

What are you trying to do even?
If you just want to use terminal applications, you don't even need the VNC, and if you wanna play emulators, android native applications already exist.

Except a proper umpc can run a gui without passing through like 3 heaps of shit
Also fuck phones.

>8 core arm @ 2ghz is somehow more shitty that a core2 abortion
how many levels of crystal are you on right now mah dood

>fuck phones
Are you angry because this is where the UMPC convergence market ended up?
Fuck off.

arm is so risc compared to x86 that around 100 arm cycles is equivalent to one x86 cycle

No, I don't like them because they don't have any fucking buttons, and any attempt to give them buttons because a horrible bluetooth hackjob that kills portability.
Pic related is ideal for games and such

The Lemote Yeeloong's a 10" netbook.

What could I even use a UMPC for? I want to buy one but I don't want to feel like I'm wasting money.

They're fun, if you buy a linux based game system you get to autistically tinker and play some games after you're done.
Was it really 10"? He made it look much smaller iirc

Gameboy emulator, but it also has a terminal and a linux environment so you can SSH and access your shit on the go.

I want one of these to work as a phone too.

Where to get a Nanonote?

8 inch iirc

Size doesn't matter

Are there any comprehensive guides on how to get dmenu/other emulators working?

Can I put hackintosh on one of these?

I really wanted a GCW Zero because of the form factor and all, but the price is just ridiculous to me. Is the device even that powerful? I'm getting a Blackberry KEYone soon, which has a physical keyboard I can use for emulators.

Other than the analog stick and the shoulder buttons, what could I get out of a GCW Zero that I can't out if a KEYone? Real question, I want to play retro games on the subway and bus, but the price doesn't justify it for me.

PS: I live in Brazil, anything too expensive will make me cry when I'm eventually mugged.

Wasn't what your girl was saying last night.

if being mugged is a factor, maybe you would be better off finding a decent condition psp

If being mugged is a factor, maybe you should buy a gun or something.

If being mugged is a factor, maybe you should move out of that shithole and let the rainforest grow back.

I have one already, but no charger. Bought one along with a new battery off AliExpress and it should arrive hopefully this year.

Gun control and all. I heard cops are cucked by them too: they're allowed to carry guns, but unless they're going to a shooting, the ammo must be kept somewhere in the car far from the gun itself.

That sounds good on paper, but ask yourself what kind of decent country would take a huehuekin in. Gotta get a job nd start saving money and looking into employment abroad.

Maybe a tazer or pepper spray or something? If you legitimately anticipate being mugged then I'd prepare, you never know if they might decide to just break a bottle over your head or something.

This shit's like listening to morons relentlessly bitch about x86, they try so hard to make the status quo option look incredibly kludgy and hacked up like a late night kitchen appliance infomercial but I bet if I asked you anything in detail about why that system architecture is actually bad you'd clam up just like those retards and give me nothing more than a bunch of "just because" or "that's inelegant" non-reasons that actually competent and literate people who weren't just consumer sheep jerking off to a novelty toy got over themselves about decades ago.

ARM is just as bad as x86. PowerPC will overcome

PowerPC is dead.

No, it's just not used in desktops anymore.

Bizarre pricing like this is often because the seller has run out of stock but wants to avoid relisting fees - instead of taking down the listing until they get more stock, they just raise the price to something that nobody will ever pay.

It's dead. Even in embedded appliance markets it's a niche dinosaur of a product that few people care about anymore.