PCIe devices thread

user, I have a lot of PCIe slots in my PC, what should I plug into it? It's PCIe expansion thread, let's talk about weird stuff.

Other urls found in this thread:

thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/usb-tv-tuner-w-support-hd-atsc-dvb-t-digital-tv-us-canada-europe
delock.de/produkte/G_89384/merkmale.html?setLanguage=en
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

RAMdisk
TV tuner
RAID controller
Coprocessor
SBC
NIC
USB and/or FireWire card

>TV tuner
why are these so expensive user?

>TV tuner

Nah. We here have evolved beyond the need for terrestrial broadcasting and ads.

Maybe ironically if we still had analogue public access ;)

I finally have a use for my TV tuner now that I built my HTPC and can't even use it with my local cable company anymore

aww yiss, GPIO

They're super niche and usually only found in super A/V environments. So you end up paying the "A/V tax" as I call it. It could also be because only one company (Happauge) is really making them. Idk really.

I was thinking about getting one myself until I saw the prices.

One of these for shits n giggles.

There's a few PCI-e SDRs as well.

Does anyone have any experience with PCIe to SATA cards?

Im constantly getting free garbage tier HDDs from switching laptop drives for SSDs. For those 10 minutes of work I usually get to keep the hard drives.

Though now all 8 of my SATA ports are filled and I'm still running low on available free space.

fuck is that thing? some autistic audiophile bullshit?

>tfw no pcie sdr
aren't there only a couple models that don't cost like $3k?

PCIe SSDs. Not SATA ones though, native.
Also a RAMDisk for cache is nice.
High end sound card, dedicated high end NIC.

Things I always use in my builds.

Don't get a cheapo shit one, get one with a dedicated processor for RAID and on card cache.

It's just a scam. It *should* reduce video card noise.

It's a PCIe power filter, but when you already have a good PSU, it's utterly useless. Maybe if you have shitloads of PCIe cards, you can put it to the end to balance it out.

It's a scam for PCIe, but on old ISA systems, a power filter card could really help with noise reduction.

I really wish there are more fun stuff I can plug into my PCIE slots.
I have no idea what I might want, but I'd buy it if its fun.

3g mini pcie adapter to pcie
also has a sim slot

I just want that monster amp this shit has

> High end sound card,
Isn't a dedicated external DAC better in pretty much all cases?

I just bought a PC with a board that has no short PCI-E slots, it's still safe to plug short expansion cards into long slots right?

thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/usb-tv-tuner-w-support-hd-atsc-dvb-t-digital-tv-us-canada-europe

XTRX

Reflash an LSI 92xx-8i rebrand (Dell H310, IBM M1015, etc) to IT mode. You will get an reliable 8 port SATA card, unlike 90% of the garbage on the market with dodgy RAID that drops out under any kind of load.

It's not better in any way, the only thing it is, is more portable. Plus it takes up a USB slot and uses the USB controller, why use a USB controller if you can natively use the PCIe bus?

Yes.

> the only thing it is, is more portable.
How is an external device dangling from your PC "more portable" than an internal card?

Anyway, the advantages usually cited are freedom from internal EMI (which can be quite significant inside a PC), and an analog volume knob (technically those are on amps, but internal sound cards generally seem to come with amps so you wouldn't use an external one with one anyway).

And a LPT PCIe card.

I want to build a relay CPU and use this for IO

If you have to much time on your hand you could build it yourself.

I doubt it is worth it though.

Does this thing even work? Can I software RAID 1 a bunch of drives or will they get piss poor speeds?

delock.de/produkte/G_89384/merkmale.html?setLanguage=en

>too much time
That wouldn't take long at all to make

>How is an external device dangling from your PC "more portable" than an internal card?
You can change them easily and just unplug it and pocket it. The DAC is portable, not the PC with it dangling on.
Internal cards are more convenient though, they already use your internal PCIe slot and are inside the case.

>Anyway, the advantages usually cited are freedom from internal EMI (which can be quite significant inside a PC), and an analog volume knob (technically those are on amps, but internal sound cards generally seem to come with amps so you wouldn't use an external one with one anyway).
Get a proper card with shielding. USB also has noise problems in shit configurations.
Get a external analog volume knob if you like them so much. If you use a amp with a analog output of a sound card, like you should (same with a USB DAC), the line level output should be set to its neutral position, always and you control the volume from the amp. Even when you use digital out, a sound card will make more sense than having a USB device for that.

For the average consumer or retard, it won't make a difference anyways, be it a sound card or external DAC.

Got a wireless/bluetooth pci card a while back for when I take my tower to lan parties.

>who has time for that meme
Yet you shitpost here.
It's like a 15 minute job with a breadboard, if you have the parts.

I believe a single SSD will bottleneck it.

So it would be better to just buy a motherboard with 8 SATA ports next time I upgrade my PC? My current one only has 4

Hmm, does the meme Sound Blaster Z card have proper shielding according to you? I have one lying around

I bought a 4 port one from started 3 years ago and have had zero problems. The card supports raid 0, 1, and 10 but I just use it as a way to add more storage as individual drives. Cost me $60-ish

Although for around $150 you could get an LSI dual mini SASS card that will handle up to 36 drives

A nice sound card

This is a cheap way of getting Atheros laptop wifi into a desktop.

Atheros before they were taken over by Qualcomm made devices and (more particularly device drivers) to ethernet-grade, or link-grade levels of reliability and hold-up. All models too AFAIK, doesn't matter if USB or whatever. Out of date now and not fast, but the memory cleanup, the intermittent fault recovery, the go/no go on signal decisions, not to mention legacy of decades of Linux compatibility (software and tools) - modern wifi doesn't even try to get to levels of the old stuff.

That said, if you're Windows 10 forget what I said and move on. Newer Qualcomm blobbed drivers aren't the same, things willl probably break somewhere up the chain anyhow.

I own it and it's a badass card, I replaced the op-amps though.

Plastic.

You need a rare panel in your PC for that user, in mine I've got only common ones.

these usb3.0 worth for an old computer that doesnt have it?

You would be limited to PCIe 2.0 1x speed I believe.

Not fully USB 3.0 speed but better than USB 2.0

v. 2.x (5 GT/s):
500 MB/s (×1)
8 GB/s (×16)

First of all, what do you need that many ports for? If it's for mass storage you might want a dedicated NAS rather than putting all your drives in that computer.

Are there any affordable ethernet cards with at least 100mbps F-type Coax interface?

>100mbps
What is this, 2005? Literary have PCI (not even PCIe) cards from years ago that are 1GbE

Can I use this card to connect my LTD KH-25?

Most ethernet cards with Coax I found were only capable of 10mbps and still cost 50$ + shipping.
Apparently the proper term would have been DOCSIS 3.0. Haven't found a single ethernet card with it. Do they even exist?

what you want is an audio interface such as a Behringer UM2