/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/zB6FJV
youtube.com/watch?v=FAU46vMBRBI
pcpartpicker.com/list/L4DNLD
pcpartpicker.com/product/c2DzK8/msi-b350-pc-mate-atx-am4-motherboard-b350-pc-mate
gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Photoshop
pcpartpicker.com/list/twMmpb
pcpartpicker.com/list/9n7KVY
pcpartpicker.com/user/00253/saved/HfR8K8
pcpartpicker.com/product/zBH48d/msi-x370-gaming-pro-carbon-atx-am4-motherboard-x370-gaming-pro-carbon
youtu.be/88IOcFE4yho
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5xuq6g/ryzen_is_almost_ironic_people_freaked_that_a/
pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/220582-does-ryzen-r5-and-r7-produce-less-stutter-than-intel-cpu-counterparts?comment_sort=newest
pcpartpicker.com/list/Fdmjjc
thebottlenecker.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Stopped reading were you unironically recommended any Intel processor. Enjoy your fail thread.

how many amd processors can you fit into your bum?

do they send you free lube?

When are the release dates of new GPUs? It seems it's going to be cheapest to just buy the newest ones.

You haven't read the news lately, did you? Or are you that much in denial that you actually think software workarounds can "fix" broken silicon.

Does mining burn through ssds? How dead is a 960EVO 500GB that's been used in a mining rig for 8 months and would you buy it for 60% of its local retail price?

Can you guys help me, around $750 budget, mostly for gaming and a little bit of digital art. I can't decide between 1600 and 8400. Also a full build recommendation is welcome. Thanks.

If there's no price difference between the r5 1600 and the i5 8400, what would be the more prudent purchase?

Dumb question I'm sure, but I'm out of the fucking loop, I'm still running my 2500k here.

>buying something that will have drop-in upgrades for the 3 next generations
>buying something that has a small chance of having a drop-in upgrade for the next generation

Looking at getting the MSI Z370 Tomahawk LGA1151-CL ATX Desktop Motherboard, it's at a good pricepoint locally so I was wondering if it is worth getting or not.

>drop-in upgrades
For a CPU? What is this drop in upgrade?

This kid has a better rig than you.

yeah but it looks like shit

which processor makes most sense to pair with the gtx 1060 6gb only for gaming?
Is the R3 1200 oc with 2666 mhz ram to weak, should I buy the 1600 or the intel i5 8400 with the slightly more expensive motherboard?

Here you go user, I'd save some more money and get a 1050 ti or a 1060 but you can live with the 1050 while you look for a gpu on sale or on evga's site
pcpartpicker.com/list/zB6FJV

If your budget can reach a 1600 great, if not go for a 1500x or a 1400. The 1200 will work just fine as you can see here but the extra money spent will be worth it
youtube.com/watch?v=FAU46vMBRBI

Stop niggerposting.

pcpartpicker.com/list/L4DNLD

Ryzen 3 1200 and 1060 running on a 430W evga psu. Am I playing with fire there? Could I try overclocking with that?

ok thanks.
I know that no one here likes intel, but the 8400 has really nice single core performance. The only reason why I havent bought it yet, is that it isnt available right now.
But I guess I settle with the 1600. The gpu will bottleneck most of the time anyways.

Stop niggerreplying

>Sup Forums - Technology on the third monitor
my sides
he's among us

It's not like I hate intel, I've used their processors for a long time but amd brought non locked chips at an affordable price

>rig

Right. I also suggest everyone to buy an amd cpu just because it really helps the market.
I wouldnt buy them myself though.

I want to replace my shitty ass cpu and motherboard, it is definitely bottle-necking my gpu
I have a budget of around $500 USD and want to at least be able to play modern games like watchdog 2 or battlefield 1 on high settings and have stable 60fps
what's the best choice for me

oh and I also want to get a new case but am not sure what to get, not counting the price of the case into the $500 budget

It's shopped, newfriend.

My 2700k is starting to feel a bit aged, worth it to upgrade yet?

Have an SSD and a GTX 770, so it's not awful.

Is this b350 board good value for overclocking? Someone complained about it being buggy.

pcpartpicker.com/product/c2DzK8/msi-b350-pc-mate-atx-am4-motherboard-b350-pc-mate

gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Photoshop

The 1600 would be enough for what you describe but if you can get the 1700
pcpartpicker.com/list/twMmpb
As for the case look for the s340 Elite, Phanteks p300, enthoo pro m, corsair 270r or 200r if you don't mind not having a window on the side

daily reminder when in doubt always go with Asus

they just werk

Works fine for me

Yeah, this totally doesn't apply to AyyyMD as well you fucking misinformed faggot.

It's more worth it to upgrade GPU for you, but, uh... yeah. Titan Xp, maybe?

thanks , also what's the difference between the normal cpu and X version, and are the ram a must; are my old ones not compatible with the new mb?

>out for delivery

Jesus the prices are INSANE now I'm mad I sold my R9 Fury a year ago

Stupid ruruco poster.

well fuck, just looked into it, it appears my ram is indeed incompatible, guess I'm gonna have to shell out a bit

This isn't /pcbg/ specific I don't think, but it did involve me buying parts. Basically

>Buy item from eBay using Paypal
>Gets cancelled almost immediately because it's a scam
>Bank still takes money out of account
>Check Paypal and it says the payment is still pending (as it also says on eBay)
>Buy GPU for £180
>GPU arrives the following day
>Try to buy cables from eBay just now
>Payment won't go through and tells me to check Paypal
>Paypal says I owe them £180 from the GPU
>Check bank balance
>£180 was taken from bank, but then immediately declined
>Have £179.90 in bank account
>Can't make purchase of £3 because of outstanding balance to Paypal

What do? Do I have to wait a month for the scam payment to be cancelled before the money goes back into my bank in which case the £180 will be taken back by Paypal and then I can buy things again?
I fucking hate Paypal, they're literally zero help, even on their help page the layout is out of date so the whole thing is completely pointless. Sorry if this is more /sqt/, but I'm at a loss and it's pissed me off.

I need suggestions for a 7z70 LGA1511 motherboard that doesn't have price hiked due to unnecessary bullshit like a trashy DAC and has a decent amount of usb ports

>MSI Z370 Tomahawk
>Intel i5 8600k
>G.Skill 2x8GB DDR4 Ripjaws 3200MHz
>Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 SSD

Does this sound alright? Any complications or incompatibility?

>Cucktel

No problem, the 1700x and 1800x have higher clock speed and a little more overclocking room but they don't come with a cooler, you could get a Cryorig H7 or a Noctua NH-L9i (you would need a NM-AM4-L9aL9i mounting kit for $8 or send proof of ownership to Noctua and they will send it for free)

I know, but with prices the way they are, it's pretty disheartening. This 770 is on it's last legs anyways, had to throw it in the oven to revive it.

Any new GPU I get is going to be bottlenecked anyways, so I'm thinking upgrade the CPU/Mobo/RAM/Storage and then once this GPU shitstorm has hopefully blown over, I can replace the 770.

Consider this
pcpartpicker.com/list/9n7KVY

holy shit you cant even post a non-amd build without shills shitting up the thread.

There's literally no reason to pay more for Intel now.

That looks alright actually. Dunno about that board though.

unless you want better performance

Yo I just replace my motherboard today and it runs on default RAM-speed of 2133MHz(overclockable). My RAM are 2400MHz and it shows on the Bios that they're running at 2133MHz. But then the windows task manager show they're running at 2400MHz. Which should I trust? Did window overclocked them to rated speed automatically?

>laughing at your GPU prices
Getting them at those prices is like winning the lottery stop giving people false hope

And vulnerability.

we invented computers n sheeit

>Yeah, this totally doesn't apply to AyyyMD as well you fucking misinformed faggot.
The comparison is nearly no existent. Why are you still shilling for Intel. Tons of bad shits been happening since last year and you'll still defend them? Admit it, They're fucked for now.

I can sell you a GTX 980
5% less then ebay average :^)

>5% less then ebay average :^)
Your a crook!!!

>
>unless you want better performance
Amd provides smoother gameplay

Please give suggestions. I wanted to get MSI GeForce GTX 1060 X 6G but I can't buy it around here, it's gone from all the shops.

pcpartpicker.com/user/00253/saved/HfR8K8

How desperate are you? You really should have purchased during the holidays

Gets me every fucking time

How far can I go if I want to do ITX? I really want a smaller build that I can keep on my desk to promote better airflow and look good. I realize though that the smaller form factor can cause the thermal issues I want to avoid.

Ideally I'd like to do heavy gaming while watching HD video or browsing the internet on a second screen. I've used 1080 for a long time but I'm strongly considering bumping myself up to dual 1440 or possibly ultrawide (although not having two screens would suck).

Is ITX realistic for that kind of an ask or do I need to go bigger?

You should feel bad for sharing this

>1050Ti
>400$

You might need to go with liquid/AIOs. Thankfully they do make AIO graphics cards these days.

This one has better VRM heatsinks
pcpartpicker.com/product/zBH48d/msi-x370-gaming-pro-carbon-atx-am4-motherboard-x370-gaming-pro-carbon

About 40% desperate. Why?

Picture related

so I just checked and my PSU is only 650W, will it be enough, or do I need to buy a new one again

Take your time and try to find something that's actually worth it. I got my gtx 1060 3gb for $250-270 during blackfriday but that's cause it was considered on special. Look and you'll find something

>Amd provides smoother gameplay
[citation needed]

>>Amd provides smoother gameplay
Google it and be bombarded by the overwhelming abundance of evidence been reported
youtu.be/88IOcFE4yho

>literally who youtuber is now evidence
amd shills everyone
90fps amd vs 120fps intel
truly a smoother experience

>300 fps!!!!
>eyes can only see at 30fps
Also Intel minimums are always way lower then and which introduces stutters as its quite noticeable when your fps drops from your insane 140fps to 20fps.
Also seriously stop fucking around and just Google it.

I dun unnerstan.

>tfw you read the autonomic feedback loops meme and brush it off as a meme, but then you come to /pcbg/ and find it being proved more and more true when the intel/AMD argument starts

Intel will screw you over the first chance they get. Don't purchase, least you love to take it in the ass

I'm about to buy stuff for a new PC (except GPU, going to use my existing 7950 until prices lower) and unsure if it's worth the extra £80ish for 16GB over 8GB.

Is 16GB essential for gaming right now or will 8GB be fine until say the end of the year or even a few months while I see how prices go?

If you're holding off on the GPU, might as well hold off on the RAM as well as you won't be playing any 16 GB-needing games at high texture levels anyway until you upgrade fully.

It should be enough

>gets two 1080ti's for SLI
>uses it to play Minecraft
Oh dear....

Happened to me two. You have to wait for the bank and PayPal to reverse everything. It can take nearly a whole month. So dude. Shit happens. Try not to jump for scams though. If its too good to be true. Its probably not true. At least in the end PayPal/ebay looks out for you even if it does take time

>Room gets pretty dusty
>Room also gets hot as fuck in the summer

How do I choose a case with this in mind? Should I buy a one which has more vents, but runs the risk of becoming Dustville or a more closed case, with little to no vents on the front or top, but comes with the risk of turning into a Turkish prison come summer?
I saw one yesterday (not sure if it was a Corsair or NZXT) that had plenty space at the front for a radiator, was within my budget, and seemed like it would solve both issues for me, but do radiators have water in them? I don't like the idea of water near any of my components or electricity in general.

>Also Intel minimums are always way lower then and which introduces stutters
literally false

>
>It should be enough
>666
>Replying to satan

What the fuck do you think a radiator does?

You get cases that have dust meshes that can be removed and cleaned.

There's a lot of refurbished HP 8300 elites with 8gb-16gbs of RAM and 3rd gen i5's for under 200 burgerbucks, all you need is a low profile(very important, any other form factor wont fit) 75 watt (also important because it has to powered by the PCI-E slot) graphics card.

I recommend this for anyone who wants a cheap as fuck gaming PC.

Will the i5 4690k oc'd at 4.5 GHz bottleneck the Geforce GTX 1080ti? Or will I just have to upgrade my CPU whenever I get a new video card?

Thanks, amigo. After about an hour I finally found out how to email Paypal, but I won't get a reply until at least tomorrow. I honestly wouldn't be bothered, but I'm due to be paid and that payment is for bills, but I know Paypal will take what is owed to them and then I'll have meme bank charges for failed direct debits. I don't know if they've removed the option to cancel a pending payment, but it isn't there and if they have it's stupid.
I know I only have myself to blame, but I missed a great deal last time that looked like a scam and thought maybe this time things would work in my favour.

Why don't you actually try to find thinks out for yourself other than talk shit you know nothing about?
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5xuq6g/ryzen_is_almost_ironic_people_freaked_that_a/
pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/220582-does-ryzen-r5-and-r7-produce-less-stutter-than-intel-cpu-counterparts?comment_sort=newest
Lookat the large difference in maximum and minimum fps on Intel versus Ryzen

Serious question fàms is buying prebuilt is a better alternative now since GPU's are being overpriced?

Yes it is. Until cryptonigs start buying pre-builts for their GPU's.

Keeps things cool and comfy :3 I've just checked and I don't think my mobo even supports a radiator anyway though so I was just giving myself false hope.

How effective is the mesh though, or is it purely dependent on the size of the holes?

aight, after looking around local prices and availability this is what I'm gonna buy, tell me if anything is wrong otherwise I'm going to buy this the next morning
pcpartpicker.com/list/Fdmjjc

There is a website to check out bottlenecks
thebottlenecker.com
You can't cancel the transaction yourself I think so you can't try and scam yourself. That's why it takes time to reverse.
It looks like it but try check what theyre putting in. They'll put in chinkshit PSU and cheap ram. I worked out a few pre-builts cost and it'll practically cost the same if you bought separately from the same retailer cause they cheap out where they can

>thebottlenecker.com
Literally kill yourself

lol

>You can't cancel the transaction yourself I think so you can't try and scam yourself. That's why it takes time to reverse.

It's still on their help page how to cancel payments as long as the payment is pending, which this one is, but I'm almost certain they removed the option to do it. I've did it myself a few times, but it was years back which makes me think they've removed it. Probably for the reason you said.

>How effective is the mesh though, or is it purely dependent on the size of the holes?
Honestly not sure. I've seen the mesh covering the whole of the front of a case, where it also had an intake fane and I think some of the back and side. Can't remember. But I'd imagine the mesh is pretty effective. Check a review or two