/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of whorology as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing :
youtu.be/hoO7PtR0ujY

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>unboxing and review's
youtube.com/watch?v=RRAHpgAbMmU

>Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/vkw-xMxHIu4
youtube.com/watch?v=UErRki4jcW8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is there a reason why the GS snowflake is so freaking big?
is it because of the spring drive movement?

They only really sell in japan and the Japanese love giant retarded watches. They are literally only purchased by "salary men" and autistic mouth breathing weeaboos

>Archie called it a shitter
>Tgv called it great

Who is right ?

It's a shitter just like archie.

>sckwalee
All three of those are shitters in their own way.

TGV actually has a decent collection for himself but has no morals and will shill anything from timex quartz watches that slowly destroy themselves to modded seiko 5's and g shocks. He stops short of shilling mvmt watches and dw's just to preserve his "credibility". Squale is absolute dogshit.

>diver or chronograph style
>quartz or mechanical
>enough WR for swimming
>not solar
>not massive
>under 300 us dollars

What can I get with this criteria?

But why do the Japanese love those giant watches? Asians tend to have smaller wrists don't they?

The Brequet and Aqua Lung he has is really nice

Good morning wt. Not really much to say here. Almost done with the positional testing and getting ready to move to temperature testing.

As a plus progress pictures double as truly horrible collection photos.

Seiko, Orient, Citizen and Boctok.

B-But with timex, you are actually getting some (very little) value for almost no money.

Do you eve have to ask?

Thank's for staying consistent user. Can't wait to see all the results.

Anyone here owns these Amphibia SE? How is the bezel action?

There's no bezel action on a Vostok.

Sorry user, but I'm still not quite sure why it explains the size of the GS

Lol, don't try to be a horology mastermind. Just buy the a non-se.

elaborate

they all look like soviet cereal box toys

Thanks again for all your hard work.

For the money there is absolutely nothing wrong with timex

>they all look like soviet cereal box toys

The movements are horrible. The seconds hand vibrates instead of stopping slowly destroying the mechanism. 5 dollar ali watches with the miyota are better.

just get the black one it is cheap and the bracelet is decent for the price but the bezel is the shittiest part about any vostok.

>Vostok
>Toys
Wannabe horology mastermind detected

got a cheap Daniel Wellington yesterday.
I have small wrists so i went for the women's model. (36mm).
I've got little knowledge about watches so you'll probably roast me for it.
Bring your best.

>slowly destroying the mechanism
You are retarded.

buy any timex for $40, it will work for 20 years doing nothing but changing the battery

Why did you think it was a good idea to brag about your LITERAL CHINESE SHITTER in here ? Sometimes it's better to wear no watch at all...

> watched the second hand shake as the stepper motor moved it. This contributes to inaccuracy and time loss. You could see over the course of the video how the second hand lined up with markers and then didn't line up with markers

youtu.be/vkw-xMxHIu4

how much did you pay

Second that. This user knows about timex.

You are fucking stupid.

and wrong

the idea that timexes just fucking break is wrong, go buy one and see

get fucked

I provide video evidence and you rant. On top of that the new timex's have not even been out long enough for anyone to make reliability claims.

You want me to provide a video of a Timex running for 20 years?

get bent

You have added nothing to this conversation. The watch is literally destroying itself on video and i linked it. You want to form some counter argument? go find the movement used show me its track record. Make a point about how the watch in the video could be defective. Do something Mr. Chink quartz watch expert.

yeah that youtube video convinced me that despite making reliable watches for 60 years and millions of people being very happy with them and loyal to timex that they all break in a day

it's not like they have a warranty and top of the line customer support or anything

oh wait

I have added that you are empirically wrong and an idiot

My dad is going on a business trip to Italy for a couple of days. He asked if I had an unique-looking watch to impress the Guineas with. So he picked my Amphibia, though I did mention that Italy is supposedly crawling with commies so he might even see someone else wearing one there.

>60 years
please timex is a shell of its former self. Timex went from making cheap but reliable mechanical watches in america to selling chinese quartz watches.

You keep saying wrong and idiot but have provided 0 information.

you are a shell of your former self

well you're a faggot but you don't see me bringing that up now do you.

I have bought many used timex watches off ebay and at flea markets with unknown service histories that were well warn

100% success rate by putting in a new battery

Do you think an Amphibia is going to impress anyone?

>defending timex's shitty caseback design
>ever
For every single one of their watches you can get an equivalent casio for cheaper, and it'll last longer.
There's fucking popewatches (10 bucks) that last decades

>impress

mad

Is that even supposed to be a fucking insult or something?
How the fuck do you faggots even find this thread?

Only by its exoticness.

My tuning fork and electronics aren't going to impress anyone either, since most people have no clue how a watch works and why would a tuning fork or a transistorized balance wheel movement would be a big deal.

Let me list the ones who might be impressed by an amphibia;
>Poor watch fags
>Blind girls (male)
>Farm animals

Casio MDV106
Get a nato strap and a nice rubber and you literally will never need any other watch

>Casio MDV106
The movements are horrible. The seconds hand vibrates instead of stopping slowly destroying the mechanism. 5 dollar ali watches with the miyota are better.

A spaceview might I suppose

Got it from my (chinese, lol) gf. She paid E170. (but got a coupon so ended up paying 140.)
That's just shouting spergatory.
Bring your best. Tell me why this is so terrible. (other than 'chinkychanky i don't like that it's popular.' And what i should've gotten. (no watch at all..)
a 5min youtube search has yielded more hatred towards this watch than you manage to convey.

It's just literally too expensive for what it is, you can get a watch that looks just like it for 20 off ebay that is the same quality

it's a 140 euro 20 euro watch, that's all there is too it

>they all look like soviet cereal box toys

>Timex
>chinese
Ah, the good old days, when high quality Timex watches were made by Chinese and not brown island monkeys with beaner names.

Well I can't give him a Spaceview if I don't own one, can't I?

What the fuck are you even talking about
Casio has their own movements that are proven to last.
They've been using that same one for literally decades and you can easily find surviving examples.
Timex uses the cheapest chinkshit they can find

Archie would be correct 99% of the time vs Urban Shitter

What movement do these use even?

Damn, wish this was priced better.

i think TGV is taking undisclosed sponsorship money from timex

hahahahahhaha

For every single one of their watches you can get an equivalent timex for cheaper, and it'll last longer.

he copied an earlier post and is just shitposting.

orient mako ii; if you haven't ordered from orient before you can probably get a 30% discount by signing up for the mailing list and get a mako ii usa for under 300

ETA 2824 I believe.

Is this a bait ? Well alright.
Look at pic related, that movement is bad and it's going to break in 5 years, and it costs like 3 dollars. The watch you bought costs like 100+ on amazon. Look at the fucking case, and the lugs. Those lugs are going to break. The whole case is going to break because it's made out of shit materials, because dw just doesn't give a shit about making a watch that lasts.
You should have done your reasearch yourself. Or you can ask here with the specific parameters of what watch you want.

some recoil is normal for a quartz movement but what i saw in that video is very disturbing. you can see the whole handstack shaking around

>caring about how a watch works
what a fucking loser lmao

>People are buying the exact same watch for 15x the price
Lmao

>You should have done your reasearch yourself.
He said it was a gift....

Both of you are fucking retards. The MDV-106 uses a Miyota 2315 made by Citizen. It's a good, reliable and serviceable movement, but if something does happen to it you can buy a new movement from Ebay for like $9.

Casio doesn't make simple analog movements since like forever. Things like three-handers and analog chronographs are all bought from Miyota and Seiko. It's digital, radio-controlled and all the more sophisticated stuff that's in-house.

>DW
>36mm
>women's model

I guess they don't brand it then? I opened my MDV to lube the seal a while ago and I don't recall seeing any miyota branding.

dirksie user here Would this work with it? I'm kinda getting sick of that shitty seiko 5 nylon
Or maybe I should just have someone at home mail me the 18mm bond nato I have

Looks like a shitty GO/Lange knock-off

It has to be there though. Maybe it's too tiny unmagnified.

apart from the DW hate, which clearly is justifiable,what size should i pick for a next watch? Considering i have small wrists.
(also, DW brands their stuff purely based on size. small is women's model, large is men's model. )
Do you buy into the bigger is better fad? if not, how do i determine what size fits best? or should smallwristletts just not bother?
Also: gf is mayor brandwhore and thinks dw is a good brand. I'm seriously considering ordering the same thing from china and returning this overpriced thing for a refund.
At least the 140 euro got me, and presumably a lot of you, a laugh on /watch/. Other than that i'm not to worried about it. gf is a lawyer from rich family and i never wore a watch so i'd figure anything is better than nothing. (despite what watchists may think.)

The size of 36 is perfect for a dress watch for men. What's fucked up is that a 36mm is for DW a women's version.

guess that's just the level of marketing they use.
2 sizes: everybody covered.
big > men.
small(er) > women.

you need a gay german in your life

oh cool, they've figured out how to machine lugs

walk into class
manlets wearing 40mm gold pvd dw's
my sides remain in orbit

>TGV Paid by SKWALLAY to shill
>gets his own """TGV LION SHARK XD""" special edition
>I wonder why he calls them great

ETA 2824

Squale refuse to service a Squale: youtube.com/watch?v=UErRki4jcW8

Surely it's some cheaper clone. How could sqwale get eta's but Oris and other, much larger, more established makers use Sellita or Sophrods?

>elaborate
Amphibian bezels aren't ratcheted. They use this retaining wire thing and can turn in both directions. On new ones though it is very stiff and unlikely to get moved out of position unless you really bump it good or get it snagged on something.

There is nothing wrong with Gshock as a beater. No other watch from an other company meets the specs of my gshock. Solar, atomic, 20bar, shock resistant.

I'm not the biggest fan of timex, but...
I'm at work now, but I have a shitty analog Timex that I never took off when I was deployed in Iraq back in 2009. I never touched the battery, it's still ticking and keeping time.

Am I doing this right or am I just a pretentious hipster?

1WW trench watch "style", originally some ladies pocket watch. Internals are swiss, circa 1920-30, I cannot really tell, but I was told by my personal watchmaker.

I guess you all have seen Pulp Fiction...

pretentious hipster

Okay, I´ll try again.
70´s Accutron?

Enjoy your hair falling out. Though you're probably already balding from all that soy intake.

much better

but you might try to get an electronic one

Of course now that I pulled this out of the timing exercise it's running fine. At least now I have another watch to wear.

What did you mean by this

Nah, I love the buzzing sound it makes, day/date works perfectly and it loses about 4s/day, gold filled case is also in pretty good condition.
Its my daily and most loved wristwatch.

The only pain in the ass is the niche movement, I think I´ll have to buy new movement if something fucks up inside. Literally no one dares to repair them. Also, to find a suitable battery is either a week on ebay or a fuckload of €€€

My mistake I thought you wrote "70´s Accutron automatic"

I'm still hangover