/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7tufwa/audeze_lcd2_classics_broke_after_a_month_of_light/
warosu.org/g/thread/S61717475#p61723504
oslohificenter.no/hodetelefoner/hodetelefoner/stax-sr-l300-limited-edition
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/43sn6c/noob_question_athm50x_vs_hd_650/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/2qdqt2/so_disappointed_and_sad/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6s70r2/am_i_deaf_sennheiser_hd650/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7hu0fb/disappointed_with_the_hd6xx_so_far/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/2plk15/for_those_with_an_hd650_please_answer_me_this/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/5iqxs0/after_10_days_with_the_hd650_a_followup_thread/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/5ltehl/is_the_hd650_build_quality_supposed_to_be_this_bad/
innerfidelity.com/content/ces-2018-show-highlight-sonarworks-headphone-correction-equalizing-software
twitter.com/AnonBabble

> Most parts can be bought and replaced for cheap

The headband on the 600/650 sets you for about a third of their price. That's not actually that cheap.

> AKGs are very good deals for Europeans, but you need to factor that not everyone lives there.

Americans should probably factor that just as much is not more, considering the amount of Schiit shilling there is here.

> I owned the AKG K701, which supposedly sound close to the K702, and I definitely feel like both of the HD6x0s outperformed it.

I disagree, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion. The 701 is identical to the 702, the only real difference is the removable cable, if you didn't like the 701 you wouldn't like the 702 either.

> Maybe cheap planars could be better than them, I haven't personally tried as I'm picky about my purchases and build quality seems to suck.

Planars are overrated and cheap planars are worse than expensive planars. The bass is more linear but has no punch whatsoever and they tend to have rather meh treble response too.

And the only manufacturers of cheap planar have the worst build quality of the entire market. I wouldn't recommend chifiman to anyone because of that alone.

what is the second best headphone behind the ma900?

Are MDR V6 good?

Are DT880/990 cables durable?
I have an AD900X and its non removable cable is worse than shit.

They along with the 7506 are flat headphones but their sound quality is rather grainy in the treble and they have no sub-bass at all. They also lack removable cables. They were good for their times when they were released, but much better headphones have been released since then, none of them being Sony cans (every attempt from Sony to replace the V6/7506 in their studio lines were worse, and every closed back cans they've made for the consumer markets have been bass canons on the level of Beats).

DT cables are more durable than Audio Technica cables, but let's be honest, no cable can resist being destroyed by a roller chair so if you're not excessively careful, sooner or later you'll destroy it just like any other cable in the world.

DT880/DT990 are tanks though. If it wasn't for that unremoveable cable, they would be lovely cans. The headband is extremely sturdy, unlike anything from Sennheiser, AT or AKG.

Thanks i think I'm going to save more money
to buy some beyer or senns

Thanks, I really want to get a 880 and the only thing holding me back is the cable. Seriously every headphones above $100 should come with detachable cables.

meant for

I fully agree with you. The ad500x is about as far as I was willing to buy with a non-removeable cable and I don't intend to buy anything more from the AD line just because of that. It's unfortunate because I'm starting to feel rather fond of AT's sound signature and would have been willing to spend more for a higher end, more well built and resolving can of the same line.

There's always a disappointment waiting for me when it comes to open cans I feel. The HD 650 underwhelms me build wise, and it's very uncomfortable and clamps the head (and the alternative of making it clamp less by stretching the headband is likely to crack it because it's all plastic). The AD line has unremovable cables, and the AKG 702 looks like it wouldn't survive a drop.

None of my open cans feel as good build wise as my closed ones (MSR7, Momentum 2.0). Heck I'd argue even the m50x is one notch better than all these open cans, build wise.

So from what I hear the DT880 have better build quality, better clarity, better bass, faster drivers, better comfort, better price, better soundstage and the HD600 just have slightly better mids and worse everything else. Why are the latter considered better? It sounds more like a meme the more I read about it.

Reminder that dynamiclets literally can't compete with their shrimpdick voltages. All hail the BBS.

Agreed.

post your setups anons

W O R M S L U T

Between my K701s my K400s and my DT880s I think I prefer them like this K400>K701>EQ'd DT880>DT880

where should I look for a good deal on DT880 (250 or 600Ohm)?
best price I can see now is ~170$ on ebay. they were 160$ on amazon recently.

The problem of Stax is availability. I would never buy a can THAT expensive without being able to test them myself, or at least without getting a good return policy. The local amazon doesn't sell Stax, and neither do any of the retail shops in the physical world near me.

Don't ditch worm fucking until you tried it user.
Going in Paris in a few days to watch the first movie of Heaven's Feel, I hope it's good.

learn how to get good deals on stuff and sell for the same price you bought

Going to a shithole like Paris for the sake of watching an animu movie could never be worth it. Country side uber alles.

I've already done this for Madoka and Kimi no na wa, it was fine. I don't particularly like it but it's better than my PC screen.

is there any place other than electromod where you can buy stax replacement parts? I don't want to pay VAT and shipping to 'murica

Idol trash here.
What's your girlfriend like, user?
Good stuff.

Is there any exciting news coming up about c-type headphones?

you should contact a stax dealer in the EU about that makes three of us who have bought it so far

Get an decent (particularly: wide-gamut) IPS screen ffs.

>wide-gamut
Any recommendations? Been considering upgrading my Dell U2412M at some point.

Can't say atm. Glance at tftcentral.co.uk's reviews section.
Mine is a Dell u2413, and I'm really happy with it, but that's from four years ago. I'd hope for 25" or 27", Freesync, decent (

Got virtually nullsleep last night, so I'm going to sleep now. Good night.

Any mic similar to the one in pic related? i can't find it in Europe.

My 55" TV is IPS and supposedly wide-gamut, but it's not the best thing ever to watch movies on. It can't even properly read high bitrate files.
I've bought a cheap VA screen recently (BenQ GW2470) and it's pretty good color-wise, could even OC it a little to 75Hz.
I'm still freaking out about it. So hyped !

I've decided between two headphones the HE1000V2 and the LCD-4 what balanced amp/dac should I get for whichever I choose budget for amp 500-1000

>deciding between poo in the loo and chinaman
man tuff decision

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7tufwa/audeze_lcd2_classics_broke_after_a_month_of_light/

warosu.org/g/thread/S61717475#p61723504
>better build quality
Wrong. DT770/880/990 all have a design flaw where the hinges all break in the same spot. Several Sup Forumsentlemen have posted pictures of their Beyers cracking in this spot.
>better clarity
Sure, if you think that more treble = more clarity, with no limit. DT770/880/990 all have far too much treble response.
>better bass
They have about the same bass as HD600. Pic related.
>faster drivers
It's extremely questionable whether you can even detect this, and I don't think you can provide measurements proving this.
>better comfort
They are both very comfortable headphones, but the HD600's oval pads are more ergonomic and more forgiving of tall ears.
>better soundstage
Entirely subjective. Bigger =/= better.
>Why are the latter considered better?
Tonal balance is by far the most important aspect of a headphone in terms of determining perceived fidelity and HD600's bass, mids and treble are far more balanced with each other than the DT880's.

Ah ok then let's see your headphones ok user?

Welp after looking into that unless he had them all the way to the very end of the post then I don't see the I see except for a cosmetic one

Just buy STAX

I have carpet so dust a huge enemy of stats plus unless I can try them out then it's not worth the investment unless I like the way it sounds

I'd look at Questyle or audio-gd, if you know how much your headphones need I'm pretty sure you could find a fitting unit.
Also
Make sure you've tried electrostatics at least once, you could get a much better setup than the 2 headphones you picked.

they come with dust covers and it's a non issue. try to get an audition with an sr-007. it's a darker stax

I live in a rural county of 30k people I doubt I can find any stax anywhere near me

If you don't mind waiting massdrop s droping the cavalli liquid carbon x + SDAC right now at $380
Also, balanced is just a meme

lol golden ears and their bollocks "target" that is not the actual frequency response of the headphone but what they pretend to be the "neutral perceived curve" which is some frankenstein mix of the Harman Target curve and some other stuff they don't disclose how they reached their own conclusions.

Here's a real comparison of the HD600 and DT880, the DT are brighter but nowhere near as exaggerated as golden ears makes them out to be.

oops wrong screenshot, here's the right graph.

>one day left

Welp fuck me I was planning on getting it with my taxes but I haven't got them back yet

This graph is diffuse field compensated. Flat on diffuse field compensation sounds bright. This means that elevated treble response on the DT880 there sounds very bright.

There's nothing wrong with the diffuse field target and it's bassheads who have become deaf who confuse it for bright.

Here's what an actual treble canon looks like on the graph, one of the entry level Grado cans.

They're probably going to drop the basic lcx (no dac) soon after the original drop units ship in february

Also, nice job posting the smoothed graph on purpose to look the DT880 look better.

No, diffuse field is bright. Flat on diffuse represents completely flat speakers in a diffuse field. Almost nobody wants their speakers' room response to be completely flat. It sounds like shit. Hifi enthusiasts generally do not seek a completely flat room response, but rather generally seek a response with somewhat rolled off treble, as this is what sounds best. When ER-4B, the most accurate diffuse field headphone, came out, everyone thought it was too bright. ER-4S was Etymotic's response. Its slightly rolled off treble in relation to the diffuse field curve is similar to the Harman target's treble as well as similar to the Goldenears target's treble, and is considered the perfect treble response by a large number of headphone enthusiasts. Pic related.
You know what other headphone has a treble response similar to the Harman target and the GE target? HD600.

Good job on bullshitting with a straight face, making up history of various can design as we speak. The ER-4S might be darker than its predecessor, but it's not darker than the DT880 and certainly isn't following the shitty Golden Ears curve (which is inspired by Harman, but is not the actual Harman target.)

It has a similar mid-treble peak and it has a very awkward upper midrange peak.

If the ER-4S is the perfect treble response, then the HD600, and even worse, HD650, is trash, and so is every Sennheiser can that is not a HD800S.

Thanks but I have limited outlets in my power strip I need to have it in the same unit

I can't even begin to guess how Headroom fucked up that measurement that badly but it's not representative of the ER-4S. If you check Headroom's raw measurement it shows an 18 dB peak at ~2.5 kHz and that's just blatantly wrong, and not at all what every other measurement of that headphone shows.

Which, in retrospects, I shoud have made as a complete statement of truth. There's probably no Sennheiser can worth listening to outside of the HD800 and HD800s. The flagships are made the way they are for a reason. The lower end offerings are all scams to leave you wanting for more.

GE measurement shows ~14 dB peak. Speakerphone measurement shows ~14 dB peak. Etymotic's own measurement shows ~14 dB peak. Headroom measurement, for some fucking reason, shows 18 dB peak. It's clear what the outlier here is, where measurement error has come into place.

Yet another measurement. ~14 dB peak.

Isn't the sdac usb powered?

Full-sized headphones present more acoustic challenges than deep-insertion IEMs, and it's certainly true that no full-sized headphone matches the ER-4S. HD600 comes the closest, though, and certainly comes closer than HD800S, which is quite upper midrange deficient.

Im not sure i just assumed it wasn't

So, 4db less than headroom's peak, but it's still a peak in a different spot, higher treble spot than the ones on the HD600. And less treble roll off than you were debating as "ideal" earlier, with more consistency than the hd600.

Not sure where you're trying to go, but the entire world outside of Audeze pretty much is arguing against you because the vast majority of high end cans of all manufacturers tend to be brighter than the HD600. And Sennheiser decided to replace the HD650, their worst open headphone ever, with a can that's brighter than both the 600 and 650: the 660s. I'm sure Axel Grell knows his job better than you do. Meanwhile his current job is to make sure to get rid of all that HD600/650 modern driver stock which is why the HD6xx offer exists on massdrop because they don't want to damage the brand by outright cutting down the price of the official line (the hd600 and 650 have the same drivers these days, they just have different damping on the housing.)

Once they're done getting rid of those drivers and after they starting shipping their tentative 580 Jubilee I'm sure we'll see a new entrance serving as a middle point between the 599 and the HD 660s, replacing both the 600 and 650 with the new 150 ohm driver.

wasn't there a norweigan fag here?

oslohificenter.no/hodetelefoner/hodetelefoner/stax-sr-l300-limited-edition

not getting the hifiman susvara, fucking pleb

but it sucks

The price is quite high though, around ~$1000. Not sure if it's as good of a deal as the US websites.

>yfw you didnt fall for the hd600 meme

HD650 is closer to Harman target

>Budget
Under $100

>Location
USA
S
A

>Source
Preferably the standard jack. I will mostly use them on the PC, but I would like to be able to use them in my phone too.

>Type of headphone
Anything but earbuds

>Open or closed
Preferably closed

>Comfort level
I have a large head, so something that will not crush my ears.

>Sound signature

>Past headphones
Koss portapros

Closer to that horrible target ultimately means trash headphones when it comes to mid-priced open dynamic headphones that can't reproduce sub bass.

Harman target is still bad on closed headphones, but at least it can be enjoyed for some genres, like electronic music. But the HD 650 is good for absolutely no genre of music. The absolute lack of bass outside of that horrid midbass hump means makes it very unfit for any genre with decent basslines. Sometimes even Heavy Metal just doesn't sound as full bodied as it should because of the lack here.

And the 650 isn't particularly great with acoustic instruments either. It's too dark. It's so tame it's just not enjoyable.

The 650 is that headphone where almost everyone had a very hostile reaction the first time they've heard it, after which only two options remain : either they brainwash themselves because they bought something that's not cheap, brainwash themselves into liking it (cognitive dissonance), or they realize it's just a can that's good with no genre, take the red pill and understand that Sennheiser is one of the most jewish headphone company. They themselves don't believe the 650 to be any good, which is why they are getting rid of their remaining stock through massdrop, meanwhile the new 660s is closer to what is expected of a decent midpriced open headphone.

>The 650 is that headphone where almost everyone had a very hostile reaction the first time they've heard it,
we are reaching north korean levels of propaganda. what's next, will the hd650 cause you to be infertile or give you cancer?

>higher treble spot than the ones on the HD600
It's pointlessly anal to be overly concerned with the exact frequency of the ~2.8 kHz peak, since the exact frequency of this peak will vary between listeners and is dependent upon ear canal length with full-sized headphones.
>because the vast majority of high end cans of all manufacturers tend to be brighter than the HD600
Nah. The recent Focals certainly aren't, and they're far more widely praised these days than brighter cans. High end cans with ultra bright sound are trying to take advantage of stupid audiophiles who think more treble = more clarity, without limit. It's just marketing.
Harman target is meaningless because it is based on non-loudness-compensated subjective listening preferences.

Naturally they jacked up the price on the 660s despite it being the same shitty build tracing back to the 580, and having recycled the HD700 drivers, but it's obviously the better headphone. If you really have to buy sennheiser gear and are choosing between the 650 or 660s, get the 660s.

you ok bro ? are you the user stuck in mid-fi hell with his akg shit ?

HD600>HD650>HD660
This is the general consensus. HD660 is a failure.

No, this isn't propaganda, this is the truth based on the reactions I've seen in multiple communities from people who bought their first HD 650.

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/43sn6c/noob_question_athm50x_vs_hd_650/

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/2qdqt2/so_disappointed_and_sad/

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6s70r2/am_i_deaf_sennheiser_hd650/

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7hu0fb/disappointed_with_the_hd6xx_so_far/

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/2plk15/for_those_with_an_hd650_please_answer_me_this/

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/5iqxs0/after_10_days_with_the_hd650_a_followup_thread/

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/5ltehl/is_the_hd650_build_quality_supposed_to_be_this_bad/

Most people who end up with the 650 first start feeling disappointed with it. Then they either hate it, like I do, or try to fix it. The second group, people trying to fix it, end up making it sound even warmer, but possibly more entertaining and full of body, by turning to high output impedance tube amps, which is why you see so many HD650 paired to bottlehead cracks. Those people HATE the actual, native HD650 sound signature, and they use tubes to make it sound less bad.

Holy shit, user. Did Sennheiser murder your entire family line? If the midbass warmth bothers you, you could just take a couple minutes to EQ it down a little bit, and then it's an excellent neutral headphone.

No, they tend to fray and fail where they enter the headphone.
>reddit spacing
>reddit links
Really, user?

Yes, really. I mean at this point this much pro sennheiser shilling on Sup Forums is reaching reddit levels, and coincided with the massdrop release of the 6xx. You might want to appear like a reddit hater but I wouldn't be surprised if many of you shills were among the people spamming HD600 and HD650 non stop there.

Been there, done that. I've found more enjoyable cans that don't require I adjust some EQ on all my sources, so why bother. If you are going to argue that way you can do it with plenty of other midpriced open headphones.

Plus, EQ will never give it the soundstage of a 702 and that makes such a big difference in enjoyment.

I just got the m1060s last week and now see that the m1060cs are coming out in two weeks and are supposed to be better. So I'm thinking I should return for now and see how those turn out.

>Plus, EQ will never give it the soundstage of a 702 and that makes such a big difference in enjoyment.
The music sounding like it is coming from 100 yards away sure makes things more enjoyable. Baka.
Soundstage is definitely one of the least important aspects of any headphone. Tonal balance > comfort = build quality > good THD/CSD measurements > soundstage

Prove soundstage exist.

Any headphone will benefit from EQ. All it takes is basic knowledge and some time. Why some people are too stubborn to use EQ software is a mystery to me.

innerfidelity.com/content/ces-2018-show-highlight-sonarworks-headphone-correction-equalizing-software
>When I told them I felt EQing headphones was at least four times harder than EQing speakers they both nodded their heads in agreement.
Doing it right is very complex and this intimidates brainlets.

You have to be an utterly obsessed shill to go as far as to deny the existence of soundstage just because you want to favor your pet sennheiser. Even the other shill is only arguing that he thinks soundstage ranks lowest among priorities, rather than trying to argue it doesn't exist.

Just because there's no measurement that can fully describe soundstage doesn't mean such a phenomenon doesn't exist in headphones. This doesn't need to be argued because even the most faithful would understand this just listening to the most closed in can, the m50x, right next to one of the most open, the 702, and instantly see the light of God.

I don't know about you, but the way music is consumed in the real world is mostly NOT a half meter away from a speaker. Whether it's a live concert or listening to speakers in a decent room or throwing a party in a night club, there's a decent sense of distance, even at the closest it's still a more important sense of distance than what you experience with headphones that basically have almost non existing soundstages.

The 702 is a bit on the exaggerated side though. But I'd rather be on that side than on the absent one.

As for your hierarchy of important specs you don't want to put comfort so high up if you want to defend the 6xx line. There's absolutely no comparison possible whatsoever between the 702, which you almost don't feel on your head, and the clamping and headband of a 650.

It's pretty easy, all you need is to hit up a sine gen and crush down the obvious peaks. That alone will make headphones' treble more tolerable.

It's not as difficult as that makes it out to be. Equalizer APO + Peace GUI is relatively simple to use, and your EQ profile doesn't have to be 100% perfect anyway. As long as it sounds good to you, that's all that matters.

You're either new here or being intentionally disingenuous regarding HD600/650 comfort, as it is well-known in these threads that bending only the metal extenders immediately alleviates any excessive clamp.
>but the way music is consumed in the real world is mostly NOT a half meter away from a speaker.
I'm definitely less than a meter away from the near field speakers on my desk and they sound pretty fucking great.

Getting results that you personally deem acceptable and doing it right are two different things, and doing it right is complex.

You by the name who I am currently referring to as anonymous, by definition meaning someone whose full identity is at this current moment in time not being known, presumably a human, by nature representing a specimen of the species homo sapien, I am congratulating, that is expressing my personal satisfaction and contentment in your actions and/or speech, that is aural message and/or messages coming out of your mouth, but which of course at this moment in time and channel of communication being that of the written form transmitted electronically, that is by definition called powered by energy derived from force arising from physical objects placed in a magnetic field, on the medium of the Internet, which is definted being a global network of computers connected to each other, thus has to be interpreted as not-literal, the definition of which is being taking words in their usual or most basic sense without metaphor or exaggeration, for your continued proliferation, that meaning by definition the increase of something, as well as electronic distribution, which means the action of sharing something out among a number of recipients, of this meme, defined as an element of a culture or system of behaviour passed from one individual to another by imitation or other non-genetic means, originating from a video found on YouTube, which by definition is beign an American video-sharing website headquartered in San Bruno, California, with the original title of Steamed Hams, in literal definition referring to the leg of an animal in the genus Sus, being treated in the vapour into which water is converted when heated, forming a white mist of minute water droplets in the air, but in combination with each other in this case as a compound word, forming from on their own different meaning words a new word with a different meaning,that is definition, altogether, steamed hams, in this particular case referring to hamburgers

I like my HD650. Music is fun to listen to

a flat round cake of minced beef, fried or grilled and typically served in a bread roll garnished with various condiments, the spreading of this particular meme, defined as an element of a culture or system of behaviour passed from one individual to another by imitation or other non-genetic means, but in this case referring more an image, video, piece of text, etc., typically humorous in nature, that is copied and spread rapidly by Internet users, often with slight variations, which I with my own eyes having observed have found rather humorous and intellectually, that is by definition relating to the higher mental functions, stimulating and pleasing to this aforementioned specimen of the species homo sapien, that is in this case me.

You want it to sound good to you, not sound like crap and be "right", whatever the fuck that means.

my magni 3 came in today and I'm currently using my 598s with it. The overwhelming muddiness I was hearing from the bass is completely gone now.
Also, how much better are the HD600s?

Daily reminder that anyone who owns 2 pair of mid-fi headphones could have bought these beauties instead.

>subjectivism