What does Sup Forums so with their Raspberry Pi?

Looking into buying a Raspberry Pi and want some inspiration on what to do with it. What do you use it for?

Other urls found in this thread:

cl.cam.ac.uk/projects/raspberrypi/tutorials/os/
jsandler18.github.io/
wiki.osdev.org/Raspberry_Pi_Bare_Bones
web.stanford.edu/class/cs140e/
pivpn.io/
wiki.osdev.org/Beginner_Mistakes#A_Hard_Truth
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Dust collection in some drawer

pi-hole, nextcloud server, kodi box

>I want to buy X but have no idea what for

I made an automatic torrent downloader web server with Django that downloads movies and episodes, converts them and serves them on web pages, ready to be watched from anywhere in my lan. Automagically starts and stops all downloads at user defined hours.

this
I have two RPi 3s and one RPi Zero and they're pretty much fucking useless. Sometimes I'll test ARM compatible GNU/Linux distros but thats about it.

Vpn, fileserver, http, kids learn with it, plus it runs some scripts which make me a bit of money on the side.

Gibs medat

>convert video on an rpi
sure buddy

>buying a literal botnet

How would a script make money?

I just use mine as a web server, works just fine for that.

how many times will this same thread get reposted?

I slapped a spare SSD on it and filled it with full SNES, NES, GENESIS, etc. libraries. Works great as a little emulator box.

For more practical uses? Ehhh, I couldn't think of any either.

Get a decent home server. Pi is slow as shit, and it was not built for this crap.

>I slapped a spare SSD on it
What a waste. hope you're trolling

building an OS.

starting points:
cl.cam.ac.uk/projects/raspberrypi/tutorials/os/
jsandler18.github.io/
wiki.osdev.org/Raspberry_Pi_Bare_Bones
web.stanford.edu/class/cs140e/

Right now working on dynamic storage allocation. See here

I have one running RetroPie and am playing around with developing a toy OS on another.

We were going to destroy a huge pile of 64gb SATA 3 drives at work so I took an armful. I've got about 6 of them on my desktop and another couple I'm using as an SSD cache on my home server.

Mkv to Mp4 with mmpeg is a matter of simply changing container, moron. If you don't know stuff, don't talk.

>mmpeg
ffmpeg

The Raspberry Pi 3 is more than enough to run a small local webserver. There is no need to waste money on something else, like you suggest.

A real home server does that and much more.

Remote and/or scheduled Wake-on-LAN server.

nextcloud with duckdns domain
used 500GB external hdd that sit in a drawer for 4 years

I can now sync shit between ~5 devices I use
and also acess them wherever I go through web interface
and it consumes 3W of power and makes zero noise

I got my pi only during xmas and wanned to play with it more, but I just love this nextcloud shit... will probably have to get another one to play with

I don't need "much more". I need one thing, and it's currently doing it perfectly. So, I repeat, I have no reason to waste money on something else.

here's what I've done with mine:
* run RISC OS and enjoy programming in BBC BASIC
* run a webserver and an IRC client
* connected a joypad and loudspeaker and wrote some programs & scripts to turn it into a white noise machine

here's what I'm planning to do:
* retropie
* get an old CRT TV and my old original raspberry pi 1 and challenge myself to use nothing but this setup for a whole month or something

music player!
and dust collector

We run a loan management server with the PI.
Had to use a PiDrive though because the Sdcard would crap out every few months

What about an orange pi one? Raspberry seems a bit too pricey for what it does. I'm thinking of buying it to download streams with streamlink, as irc bouncer and maybe pihole.
Orange pi is cheaper, but they say it has a kernel bug or some shit. I wouldn't want a chink botnet.

the trouble with orangepi is that the support is absolutely shit, you have a choice between old kernels with security bugs, or new kernels that don't have proper video drivers or don't let you change the screen resolutions or whatever.
it's probably OK if you don't mind dealing with bullshit and you're going to use it as a headless server, but otherwise you're better off spending slightly more money and getting something that's not a complete pain to use

Plex
Torrent client
Home Assistant

It wouldn't collect dust if you cleaned up every once in a while.

I use mine for flashrom.

Its nice to flash libreboot and coreboot on things :D

If you don't have a plan for one get an arduino instead.
A lot more fun to use to learn stuff and build cool things that are useful in your life.
When you have exhausted the things you can do with an arduino, you won't have to ask what to do with a PI.

Hot damn! Good luck my guy, herd it was pretty hard, so.

Use mines as a server to run programs I wrote

>Get a decent home server.
Tbh it would be more reasonable to get one of the SBCs with better Ethernet and whatnot, but getting something that counts as decent would cost a ton of money and would probably be overkill for these people.

>What a waste. hope you're trolling
It's the opposite of waste, since he's actually using his spare SSD instead of letting it sit in a drawer.

I use mine as a znc bouncer and for flashing libreboot.

you just described like 90% of people

>and much more.
Consumes much energy

Is it possible to make a Mesh network with Pi Zeros? Any guide to do so?

lmaoooo

I tried anything from retro game console to home server but I have yet to find a practical use for it

Buys hard to find shit that I tell it to

For me it runs at the speed I need with the footprint I need. I don't need it to be fast. I have 200mbit Internet so if the pi is downloading a torrent then it won't slow anything else I'm doing. I don't mind if my pi torrents download at only 10MB/s.

Previous projects:
BTC tradebot
Radar experiment thingy (with those hcsr04 rangefinders) to see if I can do it properly
IoT profs of concept at work
Kodi
Thing that drives an I2C display and tells me stupid stuff in the morning like "you were late the past 3 times on tuesday" and flashes the lights.
CalDav/mail/sync/http server, this was pretty okay but my IP changes too often

I know some guys that hooked up an RFID reader over SPI, crammed all of it in a standard case and rent them out for like €2k per event including RFID bracelets. I might do something alike someday but really can't stand doing sales or startup culture

Where do I buy one without having to pay like 60 euro for it? PiHut sometimes does discounts, I think, but right now they're pretty high too.

Any of you are using DietPi?
Is it worth to use it instead of Raspbian?

pihole

Run retropi for gaymen

Weechat client and relay, is accessed from SSH and android with their client

pulseaudio server for 0ms-delay streaming of audio over network by all programs seamlessly and into the hifiberry i2s audio output

USB relay for turning on and off the fan

IR gpio led to turn on/off and change colors of my ir-controlled lights

MPD client with external HD, running HTTP streaming server that I listen to on my Android, while controlling with MPDroid

homemade python script that manages all of this with one of those small chinese wireless keyboards + starts kodi/ncmpcpp on tty

2 local cloud9 instances for my programming projects, so that I can work on a nice IDE everywhere I am, on any computer

Makes for a good paper weight.

But won't pihole be a huge bottleneck for your internet speed? It has a shit lan controller.

pi-hole is just a DNS server, so you data isn't actually transmitted through it.

its not even good at that. Shit is too light

Oh, ok. Good to know, because I have held out on using it because I was afraid it would bottleneck.

My NAS refused to boot up. Out of warranty, have to pay to have it repaired.
Replaced the custonized innards with a Pi and loaded a NAS OS on the MicroSD.
Simple, easy and cheap.

Just pihole at the moment

there's only two things people use it for:

recalbox/raspberry

and kodi

Nextcloud server, Transmission client, Git server, WOL server, DHCP+DNS for LAN, web server for web apps I wrote/use.
It uses less than 10W power, it's almost silent and does not heat up my room like real server would do.

I run automated scripts on it 24/7. Uses less power than my desktop so makes sense.

Is it still feasible to use raspberry pi as a crypto-miner?
Assuming I have free electricity.

Guys, hoe would one connect rpi or arduino to the amp, so i can use an phone app to increase/decrease sound from phone

>how many times will this same thread get reposted?
As far as I can tell OP isn't posting the snarky replies. The thread isn't posted as one item.

>If you don't have a plan for one get an arduino instead.
Yes, Arduino is perfect if you don't have a use for it.
It's not a computer, just a glorified controller.

>Is it possible to make a Mesh network with Pi Zeros? Any guide to do so?
According to DuckDuckGo, yes.

Anyone knows how do I make a VPN server out of a raspi?

Currently running LibreELEC as a cheap HTCP

I made a smart mirror for my god mother for Christmas, she likes it.

Normally consumerism is vain, but rpi is a combination toy and learning system. It's better than buying a babby's first electronics toy from Barnes & Noble for twice the price.

Currently seeding 16TB of linux distros behind a VPN with my Raspberry Pi using rtorrent.

yes, I don't know how it works, but you can

better than chink shit general, faggot

You're the guy that didn't even know how to use malloc and you pretend to write an entire OS?
Interesting, it's like trying to solve triple integrals without knowing how to read first.

SFTP or VPN server

How do you make a VPN server out of it?

pivpn.io/
Now stfu

download my anime with transmission and flexget. share them until ratio is 1.0 and remove them from transmission. also samba to watch them

I think you can learn math without knowing how to write or read in your language

Up to a point.
See wiki.osdev.org/Beginner_Mistakes#A_Hard_Truth
OS development is really hard and the bare bone examples are made not as "tutorial" in that sense but as demonstration on what a possible starting point looks like, since with OS that is non-trivial.

You should see OSdev as the end goad, not the first step.

I'm not the guy you were talking to, just commenting on that comparison you made about math and integrals, not actually supporting what he said

I want to set up a PiHole.
I have 2 routers at home, one of my ISP and the other is mine(Linksys WRT54G).
I connect everything to the Lynksys router and the Linksys router to the ISP router.
Pic related, have i need to enable the DHCP server to set the PI as the DNS? because with the default configs enabled my wireless devices doesnt connect to internet.

Linux desktop for the bedroom. Going to replace with the Tinker Board.
Have 2 at my computer shop that are connected to 2 32" LCD TVs that I have in my store front windows displaying weather, time, and ad space that I sell to local businesses.

I just finished setting mine up as a seedbox, using qBittorrent-nox's web UI. I just got into a private tracker so I'm sending torrents to it to fill up my hard drive and keep them seeding until I meet the minimum time.

I built an ERP and use rpis to sell on-site installs.

Until some opinion manages to convince OP to buy a Raspberry Pi, despite the fact that the lack of convincing options means he shouldn’t buy one.

>PiDrive
fuck is that?

No, you don't need to set the dhcp. Just set the dns server to the internal ip address of the pi on the device that is running your dhcp (probably the isp router unless your isps router is set up in bridge mode)

A USB SATA 2.5" HDD that Western Digital sells.

Power plugs into a special USB Cable that powers both the HDD and RPi. The cable plugs into the HDD and the Micro USB and one USB port on the RPi.

FreeBSD server

9front

>seeding Linux distros
>behind a VPN
That's like using a condom to masturbate.

I've got it set up as a local DNS server where anything that looks like a botnet is programmed as 0.0.0.0. I used to have another one set up as the router.

1 RP3 is used for browsing net/shitposting on Sup Forums instead of starting up gaymen pc to do that.

1 is used for media center, watching netflix etc

I don't think you need a VPN for seeding free software

Theoretically yes, but at this point the gains will be so small it will be barely measurable

What browser do you use for Sup Forums?

whatever the default one is on raspbian. works nicely.

It periodically checks Sup Forums and notifies me when there's threads which match certain regexes
I also have an external hd connected to it so I can make backups to it via sshfs

Pi-hole and apcupsd + automatic turn-on for my home server.