Encryption

So I was on youtube, and I found a video called "Will Quantum Computers break encryption?"

And that made me think.
Isnt encryption already a joke? I mean from what I have heard the US government can crack any encryption near instantly.
is this true? or does encryption actually make things more of a pain for the government and other people.

thanks, sorry if this is kind of a dumb question, I just wanted some thoughts on it.

Other urls found in this thread:

zdnet.com/article/has-the-nsa-broken-ssl-tls-aes/
theregister.co.uk/2017/12/15/crypto_mathematical_backdoors/
grahamcluley.com/nsa-bribe-rsa-encryption/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

OP is a brainlet that doesn't know how encryption actually works in the year of the lord 2018

quantum computers are a meme

why is everyone here a huge fucking faggot?
I dont need to understand all of the technicalities of it to understand whether it works or not.
and I have a pretty decent understanding of how encryption works, I just asked if the government has computers powerful enough to break it.
Yeah I kinda knew that, But again, thats not what im talking about, I just want to know if encryption as it is now is a meme.

because from what I have heard only brainlets think it gives you any security.

hello pajeet

solid prime factorization is still far since biggest prime factored on quantum computer would fit 16 bit integer (in comparison to 2048 or 4096 bit integers in recommended RSA configs)
>I have heard the US government can crack any encryption near instantly
where have you heard that bullshit?
RSA with 768 bit was already broken in past on normal computers, but that's so fucking far from 2048 bit. Elliptic is also considered safe. Hashing isn't even affected by quantum computers. Crypto is safe, but you can still attack it's environment and bad implementations.

I fucking hate Sup Forums

You don’t have to post here, pajeet. Please go back to rebbit and poo in the loo

The math itself is rock solid, it's the systems built around the math that are vulnerable. Paraphrasing Bruce Schneier...

>where have you heard that bullshit?
things like that the NSA intercepts every single packet of data that you send, and reads it. that is public info now, and also considering that its likley the US govt set up and essentially controls things like TOR i just doubt how secure things really are.
>but that's so fucking far from 2048 bit.
Have you seen the computers the NSA has? I have a hard time believing that they cant crack whatever they want

thank you for a real answer

> it's the systems built around the math that are vulnerable.
I never thought about it like this, this makes sense.

Modern correctly implemented encryption can't be broken. If somebody tells you otherwise, ask them when it was that they got their top-secret clearance.

I have talked to people in the security industry, one of whoom worked for the government (fbi specifically) and that is where I am getting most of this info.

maybe he was fucking with me but idk, we are good friends I doubt he would do that, unless he is just dumb and has no idea what he is talking about.

i can crack any encryption with a wrench to the knee

>things like that the NSA intercepts every single packet of data that you send
Not all parts of packets are encrypted. There are still valuable information you can get from that
>HTTPS has been shown vulnerable to a range of traffic analysis attacks. Traffic analysis attacks are a type of side-channel attack that relies on variations in the timing and size of traffic in order to infer properties about the encrypted traffic itself. Traffic analysis is possible because SSL/TLS encryption changes the contents of traffic, but has minimal impact on the size and timing of traffic, but that doesn't mean they break encryption on-fly
and general monitoring of network is also useful
>Have you seen the computers the NSA has
time required scales exponentially with number of bits, not linearly

>but has minimal impact on the size and timing of traffic, but that doesn't mean they break encryption on-fly
hmm... yeah this makes sense, I still feel like its basically a joke when you have an endless budget for spying on people like the govt

>time required scales exponentially with number of bits, not linearly
Yeah I guess I didn't consider this,

thanks for the answers I need to do more research on encryption, this is good stuff to start with I appreciate it

the government SUPPOSEDLY can't break most strong current encryption

I thought they had trouble with an iphone's password lock, or maybe it was just the legality of it.

There are a lot of things the government can't break into encryption wise.

>The math itself is rock solid
Just solid. I would omit the rock part.

No why else would the government be trying to ban encryption? The math is rock solid and silicon based hardware really doesn't move at a very fast pace anymore. They can't break a veracrypt or luks harddrive with a strong password. Even if they could it would cost an obscene amount of cash and a lot of time. They can't crack open everyone's shit on a whim. All they've been trying to do is put pressure on software companies to put in back doors for them. Something that isn't a problem if you stick to open source solutions. What they fear more then anything is people encrypting all their shit by default if that happened there physical wouldn't be enough computing power in the world for them to decrypt all of it.

yeah just like supposedly they dont spy on everyone
lmao, sheep. keep believing lies
it was the legality not the difficulty, do your really think the us gov cant break an iphone?
top kek

have none of you heard of a man in the middle? OP is not talking about bruteforcing anything, The government has servers that watch everything you do, You THINK your traffic goes from your computer to its destination but in reality it goes from your computer to the government to the destination without you ever being wiser.

Furthermore there re next to no encryption algorithms of ways of encrypting that are really secure, TOR for example sends data through a encrypted tunnel.. the data its self is raw and not encrypted in any way

Everyone on Sup Forums is fucking retarded holy shit.

>the government be trying to ban encryption?
the government pretends to be against a lot of things so that stupid people (like you) think that it actually works.

>and I have a pretty decent understanding of how encryption works, I just asked if the government has computers powerful enough to break it.

lol

>im not going to put forth an argument, just an lol
have your (you) faggot.

Why would I respond legitimately to such a fucking retarded question, dumb retard?

You said it yourself that you had "decent understanding" of how encryption works. If you did, then you'd already know the answer, fucko.

this board is cancer.
A "decent understanding" means I dont know everything there is to know,
clearly unlike everyone on Sup Forums who knows everything and has nothing to learn about anything.

Only two people here have given legitimate answers that would come from someone who actually knows anything about networking, the rest of the answers have been like you, or just stating things that are flat out wrong.

Honestly Prior to this, I thoght Sup Forums is where all the smart tech niggers went but clearly not,
the user base on here is like old Sup Forums levels of autistic. Only everyone here seems to think they are hot fucking shit.

>A "decent understanding" means I dont know everything there is to know,

Don't kid yourself. If you had even basic fucking knowledge you'd know the answer.

Lmao Ill ask again faggot
do you even know what a man in the middle attack is?

The literal only rule here is to be not completely shoe on head stupid.
But sure let's have the conversation. Could the government in theory be able to break something like RSA? It's just prime factorisation of fuckhuge numbers. Answer: Probably.
Could the U.S government break AES? No.

Gee, I don't know. You're the expert. Why don't you tell me what you think it is?

>AES
the NSA has cracked AES ciphersmost crypto systems that use AES have implementation flaws that the NSA exploits when they feel it is worth it.

>why would I answer your question retard, its a dumb question hurr dur

shit that sentence

the NSA has cracked AES ciphers. I most crypto systems that use AES have implementation flaws that the NSA exploits when they feel it is worth it.

>the NSA has cracked AES ciphersmost crypto systems that use AES have implementation flaws that the NSA exploits when they feel it is worth it.
Citation needed

Dude you're asking a question which you would already knew the answer to if you knew anything about encryption. Then you're being hostile to everyone who calls you out on your shit. If anyone thinks they hot shit it's you... we're all just laughing at you sperg.

OP is a faggot.

>why would I answer your question retard, its a dumb question hurr dur
DURRHURR INTERCEPTING COMMUNICATION, ALTERING IT AND PASSING IT ON AS LEGITIMATE IS SUCH A HARD CONCEPT TO GRASP DURR

Go back to fucking kindergarden, idiot.

>the NSA has cracked AES ciphers. I most crypto systems that use AES have implementation flaws that the NSA exploits when they feel it is worth it.

Citation needed

>thinks he has a decent understanding of encryption because he knows what a man in the middle attack is

Okay seriously this guy has to be in it for the (you)s. If you really aren't, I'll let you know that people get fucking degrees specializing in encryption and the math behind it. You don't know jack fucking shit more than some general concepts and a Wikipedia article.

zdnet.com/article/has-the-nsa-broken-ssl-tls-aes/
theregister.co.uk/2017/12/15/crypto_mathematical_backdoors/

I dont know everything about encryption!! that is why I asked here,
I thought there might be people who know somthing here.

namefags are faggots

see the top.

>>>/sqt/

>You have to have a degree in encryption and specialize it in order to grasp it's basic concept

You're just as retarded as the OP

sega goes in all fields

Nobody here wants to acknowledge the scale of nsa data mining

If you think the government doesn't know everything you do, especially encrypted traffic,
then you are just lying to yourself.

>I dont know anything about encryption
fixed it for you

THIS
FUCKING
THREAD
generals make that this kind of people post in here

jesus
just let this thread die

I will never come back to Sup Forums
>inb4 we dont want you.

>zdnet.com/article/has-the-nsa-broken-ssl-tls-aes/
>theregister.co.uk/2017/12/15/crypto_mathematical_backdoors/
Point out the portion where it is proven that the AES is broken/has a backdoor instead of vaguely hinting at it as a possibility.
Why even post these?

that's right, now fuck the heck off back to Sup Forums, dumb pedo fuck.

>I mean from what I have heard the US government can crack any encryption near instantly.
no. it takes a tremendous amount of time and work to crack proper encryption.

What I'm saying is that "the basic concept" that you have of encryption isn't even basic in the eyes of people who know anything about it. Reading the fucking wiki article isn't basic knowledge, it's nothing.

If you have read at least one book dedicated to a specific field of study, don't even bother telling people you have a "general idea of how something works" because chances are you're just some massively overconfident idiot. And no Wikipedia doesn't fucking count, it's generally full of introductory knowledge at best.

Dont be rude, please

The mathematical base behind modern cryptography is very solid and theoretically impossible to be broken within any reasonable amount of time. The problem is that NSA has become as vast overpowering entity with insidious tentacles infiltrating everywhere and nowhere at once, co-opting corrupt developers and convincing them to add backdoors and exploits into popular encryption software so that NSA could later leverage those backdoors and exploits to have unprecedented access to people's systems.

I thought you said you were going to leave, OP?

Those articles say nothing about AES being broken.
Or are you paranoid about the Dual_EC_DRGB thing? Just use X25519. DJB is pretty trustworthy; as is the rest of the non-NSA cryptography community.

Sure, the government is powerful and scary, but that doesn't mean they've defeated all published research on the subject.

>you have to be an expert in order to have basic knowledge

are you trying to be retarded or does it just come naturally?

HOLY FUCK
THE NOT AUTISTIC ANSWER I WAS LOOKING FOR
thank you

Op here
thats not me retard, top kek.
But yeah, now im gone.

>>HOLY FUCK
>THE NOT AUTISTIC ANSWER I WAS LOOKING FOR
>thank you
This nigga creates a thread with a preconceived notion of the answer he wants without having any knowledge of the subject at hand. He leaves the thread not knowing anything more about cryptography, but having his existing fears reaffirmed by an anonymous post on an internet anime forum.

How disturbing...

>without having any knowledge of the subject at hand

but he has a decent understanding? practically an expert.

> it's the systems built around the math that are vulnerable.
This sentence is the most pertinent of this thread.

There is two different things to consider: the encryption algorithms, and their implementations.

Algorithms are rock solid, based on math properties. We occasionally found weaknesses in algorithms used today, it's but rarely (almost never) a huge break. The impact is something like, a way to divide by two the time to break a key. Which still takes a insane amount of time.
We could say, algorithms slowly erodes over times, and are replaced by newer, stronger ones.
Anyway, NSA most probably can't break them.

A whole class of encryption algorithms can be cracked by using Quantum computer. Fortunately, they don't exists yet (more exactly, not with enough process power). It's a known fact, and the encryption world has already reacted: new quantum-resistant algorithms slowly replaces the old one, everywhere. The transition will takes a while, but we will get there.

As for implementation, it's hard de detect what's broken and what is not.
HTTPS is broken by design: every certificate provider can spy on you (or gives someone else to ability to do).
For what's we know, TLS (the new name of SSL) is not fully broken, but many implementations have seen huge breaches (ie: HearthBleed from OpenSSL).

The PGP format and its main implementations are probably safe.

Also, even if a particular implementation is broken, it doesn't means it has not effect. The NSA (or any spy) must take huge resources to bypass all this.

>Isnt encryption already a joke? I mean from what I have heard the US government can crack any encryption near instantly.
Bullshit. Hardware fast enough to break modern encryption does not exist and likely will not ever exist (quantum algorithms for certain types of cryptography notwithstanding). You could say "Oh the government has secret fabs and custom chips" but the amount of power required is so many orders of magnitude larger than what we can currently produce they would probably need to be pumping out more silicon than the entire rest of the world put together, a couple times over.

The only way to break it without enough hardware to carpet a city would be if there was some kind of undiscovered flaw in the algorithms used that nobody else has spotted, yet somehow the NSA managed to spot. That's conceivably possible I suppose, but calling it a stretch would be putting it lightly. If nothing else it would just be blind luck that they found it and not anybody else.

>but many implementations have seen huge breaches (ie: HearthBleed from OpenSSL).
heartbleed wasn't a bug in openssl's handling of encryption, it was a buffer over read bug in an unrelated section.

it's a teenager parroting what his highschool teacher said. He doesnt understand what he's saying, just ignore him.

thank you,
thank you, thank you
this is all I wanted.
good stuff here too thanks.

no, he's right, he just wasn't 100% on what heartbleed was.

wow, you understand what algorithm is!

still here, OP?

YES
WE'RE ALL FCKED
DON'T FORGET YOUR TINFOILDHAT, YOUR BRAIN WAVES AREN'T EVEN ENCRYPTED

The US government can not crack encryption near instantly. If they could we'd already know this because it would be the most abused power in the world.

No they try to pretend like they're competent and all powerful so sheep like you think they're invincible.

kek

seems to me you don't know what man in the middle attack is
>there re next to no encryption algorithms of ways of encrypting that are really secure, TOR for example sends data through a encrypted tunnel.. the data its self is raw and not encrypted in any way
That sentence doesn't even make sense. Good job calling everyone retarded while actively proving the retard is you.

>my uncle said he works for nintendo
>durrrr ahurrr

He's trying to get us to write his homework for him. He's been told to argue a specific point, that's why he won't take anything else for an answer. That also explains why he's getting irrationally angry at us, he's 13.
Holy fuck you need to leave you god damn retard.

>gobbermunt powerful c0mputers

Are you fucking 11 or something?

>OP comes here
>tests his luck and spouts about muh gubbermint haxxors while having the tech knowledge of a 4 year old
>gets called out while knowing full well this is a cancer board yet expecting real help
>gets rustled
i shiggy diggy

Intelligence agencies have been focusing on side channel attacks since the 50's for a good reason. Any other kind of attack on a good secure system would be a huge pain in the ass.

Brute forcing a 256 bit key would require more energy than a Dyson sphere around the Sun could capture, assuming the theoretical lower bound on computation energy. Check Schneier; that's where I learned it.

> I mean from what I have heard the US government can crack any encryption near instantly.
It's possible that one or multiple encryption implementation is THAT flawed that government(s) can crack it instantly. But what evidence of that did you really get?

If it's just some hearsay - well, the earth is also flat, ruled by lizard people and the illuminati, and Elvis and Hitler are still alive, manmade climate warming doesn't happen, and aliens are anal probing people. Among a great many other things.

Not even OP, Jamalposting is fucking cancer and only exists for faggots like you to shit up and derail the thread. If you don't have a proper answer then fuck off. This board is a joke. No one discusses technology it's just a constant circle jerk and meme posting, you're Reddit already.

>why is everyone here a huge fucking faggot?
because of the constant flood of ignorant assholes such as yourself

hello pajeet

>I dont need to understand all of the technicalities of it to understand whether it works or not.
Yes, you need, idiot.

What's the best encryption program on Windows?

The OP doesn't know what he's talking about and literally has zero evidence outside of sp00k theories.

You can expect to break a 2048 bit encryption in 2^2047 tries, assuming the encryption is cryptographically secure. If you have a trillion(~2^40) specially designed cpus that can try one key every cpu cycle, and the cpus are clocked to 1 THz (2^40) it would still take 2^2096/(2^40*2^40)=2^1967 seconds there are about 2^25 seconds in a year so it would take 2^1942 years. To put that number in context the universe has been around for 2^34 years so it would take 2^1910 universe lifetimes to break with brute force.

This
grahamcluley.com/nsa-bribe-rsa-encryption/

>I mean from what I have heard the US government can crack any encryption near instantly.
>is this true?
No.

What board did you come from?