Why does this client have no fucking themes or modification capability built in...

Why does this client have no fucking themes or modification capability built in? Why do I have to install meme shit to even begin editing the CSS on this fucking clunker. It's fucking terrible design wastes too much space compared to even the worst autist IRC clients like irssi and weechat.

>using discord
Found your problem.

OP here, you're right thanks I'll never make this thread again.
Let me go hang myself now.

Give me just a reason why that discord shit is better than IRC.

what do you expect from JS electron app?
its shitty implementation but they had the right idea. they fond a good niche which is a chat with history + teamspeak client.

only reason: actual people to talk to instead of people just lurking the entire day just to read 10 lines of chat

>chat history
>easy image/video uploading
>easy server management
>funny emojis

I really hate how kids nowadays can't use multiple programs for multiple purposes. They need all to be in the same app, they can't use IRC and teamspeak at the same time, they need an app that can do both things...

You can do all of this with a decent IRC client.

its good shit to have all this in one server for any game clans. stop being retarded.

>tracks what games you are on
>tracks who your friends are
>tracks what applications you run
>sub-par service uptime/audio quality
>censors discourse based on their own political views
>active moderators reading your private messages and public messages
>zero encryption
>google servers
who thought this was a good idea?
telegram beats this by miles

The idea behind Discord is fine. I've been expecting this centralization of services for years before Discord came about. My gripe is that the client is utter garbage on the desktop. It's a fucking space hog in the way IRC never was; I like having the window open on a different monitor but I don't fucking need the channel pane open all the time nor do I need the server pane using these gauche icons that people select.
The fucking channel panel is a fixed size and cannot be closed. THE FUCKING MAIN FOCUS OF THE CLIENT IS CHAT AND THAT SHRINKS WHEN YOU RESIZE THE WINDOW NOT THE FUCKING CHANNEL PANEL.

I personally don't appreciate centralization of services that much, in 99% of the cases you end up with a program that tries to achieve multiple purposes but is not good in any of them.

>this client
fucking write your own then and stop bitching

>write client
>get IP banned and fingerprinted to avoid ban evasion

solution: stop using discord

>those things
>irc
>even close to as easy as on discord

Of course. I use IRC myself, I got dragged into discord by fuckin normies....

At least your boss isn't trying to move the office to using discord....

will you handle any customer information over that?

what went wrong

Lol. I fucking hope not.

they removed the ebin TTS

nothing, it has the best codecs and sound quality

Then use a discord to irc bridge like bitlbee or disgoirc with your riced-out irssi or weechat

>emojis
You have to be 18 to browse this website.

I actually don't get it.

We're even on office 365. Ms teams is right there. Or Skype for business. Or slack.

Fucking discord.

All we need is an IRC gateway and this problem will be gone and everyone will be happy.

Can't fucking stand their standard client but all my friends and communities are on there.

There are projects for this on Github but no a single one of them is actively developed, actually works or is compliant with discord API rules at the same time.

>abandoned custom clients
it's against their terms, and they are actively banning and fingerprinting such devices/clients

my friends use it

>against their terms
Because it doesn't send information about your computer and all the programs and background processes you have open to them.

What voice chat application respects my freedom? I don't mind hosting it the server myself if I have to, I just want to talk with friends/family.

Discord encodes your voice using opus, the best free codec. Maybe your data isn't free, but your voice is.

>i hate efficiency
Sure, it's got security issues but for gaymers it fills a hole in the market

Emoji are just unicode characters

mumble. teamspeak is also an option if you can live with proprietary free as in beer.

Can someone explain the "hate discord" meme to me? It just seems like your typical chat application.

electron
can't run your own server
business model is "we'll be bought by some bigger company later"

/thread

>muh convenience

Discord is proprietary.

>muh ricing
soyboy. But you use discord already.

they have problems way too much time
client is shit, not so much it's slow but everything about it is annoyance, image uploads barely work, interface is often unintuitive, the aesthetic sucks, etc
audience is gaymers and other retards

I'm seeing software take a shitty trend of faffing the user about before the thing will do what it says it'd do on the tin.
>ds3
>invading
>cheater spotted
>want to record to showcase
>load ge experience
>it starts updates
>wasting time
>it requests i login and i dont have account
>wastes more time
>finally get it booted up but gotta restart the fking game
>fuck this gonna get fraps
>hosts dcs
there are other things like TomTom Sports
>got bluetooth headset and watch
>want to add songs
>gotta load tomtom
>update
>register
>login
>add songs by playlists
>slow as all fucking hell
>decide to checkout the file system of the fking watch
>mfw shit's so simple to put songs in manually
>easier in fact
I cannot express my loading and rage for faffware. It never used to be like this, what the fuck is going on?

>proprietary garbage problems vol. XXI

I like your pepe

the biggest problem is not really with discord itself but the soy infused userbase

power tripping server admins and mods jerking themselves off constantly is nothing new but discord somehow manages to bring this to an all time high

99 percent of servers are just people weeb posting and talking about traps 24/7

These newer softwares all try to be fancy with their designs and layouts, which ends up making the damn thing harder to use the older you are, because there was a time when a piece of software was straightforward and would give you everything upfront.

I can't stand using discord because it's not intuitive; it's not direct. I'd have to look up a guide on how to use the damn thing, which is very bad if you're a software developer. If your shit cannot operate using basic common sense, then you've developed a piece of shit. Discord is a piece of shit.

Behold, Mumble.

Anyone ever use Discord with a tiling window manager? I did, and then I ended up in the hospital. Don't do it kids.

>Proprietary
>terms of service says they can do whatever with all your info/messages but "we promise we don't"
>Ugly theme, stupid architecture
>"free" servers that go down all the time
>"free" servers mean that the first person to make a discord about a topic is king
>Power hungry mods/admins everywhere, the no1. reason someone makes a server is to have power
>Mods will orbit girls, give them priviliges, and trade nudes of underage girls for mod or nitro
>Discord does nothing about pedos other than banning them (so they're back in 5 minutes)
>The above leads to nepotism, corruption and then drama and shitstorms as servers compete for users
>Censors politically incorrect servers and users
>Freemium business model is the chat equivalent to pay2win
>The full experience is very expensive compared to alternatives, discord is $5/mo while ts/mumble is something like $0.05/slot

Wire is the new patrician choice, made by the original Skype devs, look into it

mumble's problem is that it doesn't have persistent chat, same with ts or ventrillo.

>Power hungry mods
>Beta orbiters
>Nepotism and drama
So just like any online community without anonymity

>no WEBM support

This is my only fucking issue with Discord.

the problem with discord is that it's the first time a lot of the new generation has been exposed to this, they didn't grow up on forums and chatrooms so it's like an explosion of idiots who have no idea how to handle themselves in an online community

webm will never catch on outside of this shithole

Its AIM all over again

This. I only use it to communicate with friends. 99% of the servers are unbelievably shit.

unless you get off to having your background processes and keystrokes being sold to pajeet for pennies i would switch to something else

It's built on fucking chromium and they can't manage to add support for it.

I know you posted that image ironically, but that's literally you OP

No way I'm convincing my normie friends to switch to something else. Took a couple of them too long to get off fucking Skype. I don't care enough about the botnet for it to bother me that much anyway.

I was one of the faggot teenagers who used to own forums back in the 00s, and frankly owning a discord server was an entirely different animal. I got in early and got a couple big topics with a few thousand people, and it was basically like 24/7 babysitting. The amount of stupid kids who seemed unable to comprehend even the most basic aspects of online communication was frankly baffling. I ended up giving them all away around when they announced that they were storing your keystrokes so I can only imagine it's gotten worse. A friend of mine works with special needs kids at a middle school and I shit you not, he tells me it's their primary method of communication, which should tell you something.

skype is honestly better than discord at this point, as fucking abysmal as they is

*as that is

Matrix looks promising. Riot is semi botnet tier but the protocol is very promising

Check out Wire, it's damn good

'member Messenger? Those were the days. Simplicity.

>Messenger
when i hear that i think of that facebook drivel now

>and keystrokes
>were storing your keystrokes
Elaborate? I want to be enlightened.

read Discord's privacy page. basically "we catalogue everything you do while the program is open but we won't use it we promise lol :)"

how much can this shit datamine if you use it on the browser instead of the electron garbage?

Eh, true, but discord is worse. Making a server is so piss easy that all retards do it, where running a forum or such at least takes a little effort. And since it's free, more users cost the mods nothing and only gives them more people to lord over.

For some fields, once a server has been made any server with the same topic will be considered a act of war, so the owner is set in stone. For more general servers, it will instead be a constant war over users instead.

plus this. For some reason kids and arabs and shit flock to discord.

Oh I forgot this. This literally just need to change a flag to enable video embedding, maybe it will be a nitro feature in the future.
FB messenger supports it.

True, I was a mod at a 25k user server, and the userbase was lots of kids. But that's also because of how they recruited users, YT comment spam was the reason it got so large. But really as long as you have a steady inflow of users, you can just ban the people that piss you off. Also I did really notice how everyone likes you when you are a mod. The girls would send me pics of hand written notes that said "I love user" and "no I love user more". Ego stroking shit like that.

>Whitespace is evil REEEE
It's a very good job you don't design UI's. You should be complaining about the fact they hide their primary CTA's just about everywhere or have very important bits of UI made to look innocuous.

>Why use broadband when dialup is fine

>le thread, c'est moi
I dunno, I was generally a dick to the kids in the server and banned a lot of them, so I was well-liked by my mods and some of the older users but that's about it. Like I said it was just work, kids would surpass bans and try to get power just to start mass kicking people, or befriend some lower mods to do so, and audit logs didn't exist at the time which made it a fucking nightmare.

>but not be limited to username, email address, and any messages, images, transient VOIP data (to enable communication delivery only) or other content you send via the chat feature.
> we receive and store certain information such as an IP address, device ID, and your activities within the Service
I don't see anything specifically about it, but they may have changed the privacy policy over the past year. I'll take your word on it.

Ignore him he's just a larping freetard.

Is this wojak meme a new merchant by Sup Forums? Oh, user, you like a thing? Well here is a picture of a [spoiler]jew[/spoiler] soyboy with the thing you like, you see how it's bad?

mumble has a retarded name

>or befriend some lower mods to do so
This is a real killer. Some shithead kids we banned made their own server, one of them ended up being a buddy of a (girl)mod, who ended up betraying us, leaking the mods chat, and taking a large chunk of the decent users with her.

I agree it's very tiring, but for me the drama and feuds over users is more so.

no, i actually despise linux for personal use and most freetard nonsense, i just don't like shit software

I used to work in an IT company that strictly used Ubuntu and never updated it. After that, I've never had the desire to use any Linux/unix operating system ever. That shit has left a very bad taste in my mouth.

I both like and dislike Discord.
I like it's dark design, but hate the GUI overall.
I like the combination of Team Speak and skype into one client.
I don't like that you can't connect it with TX/RX radios for building up a Gateway.
At least you need a several things to make it work via VOX.
A good thing is also that you can easily create an own server that will cost you nothing and has a shit ton of slots, where you have to pay for when realized with Team Speak.

They should really chage the GUI into something way more compact. Discord is gigantic in size and wastes a lot of space on my desktop.

>Information we collect may include but not be limited to
This phrase is key, it's carte blanche and they can just collect every bit of data they want freely once they added it. It's quite manipulative the way they word it, but so is the entire business model.

Simple distros like Debian can be wonderful for server use. Using it for personal computing is idiocy.

Heavy on resources, closed source, can't host your own server, 0 privacy since all your voice and text data is stored permanently on their servers.
Basically worse than Riot.im and Wire, and Mumble is much better if you only need a voice client. I'd trust Facebook desktop messenger more than Discord.

I just wrote an essay on Discord's business model and accidentally closed the window, fucking hell.

It's pretty much the same model as league of legends

Let me try again. To continue , basically, when you use Discord you have to look at how they are turning a profit. We are talking about a large company serving hundreds of thousands (millions?) of end users daily, there are massive costs involved and they need to have enough money to both pay for that and turn a profit on top of it.

IRC doesn't need to turn a profit since it's a chat protocol that anyone can use freely, not a company. Skype turns a profit through Skype credit, and Microsoft has a lower cost to pay since they already have a massive server infrastructure in place from their other services. Mumble turns a profit through paid services. Wire currently targets businesses primarily in their marketing to sell their "Teams" paid service, which has a lot of additional features. For them, since they are still a relatively small service, this is enough to sustain them currently.

This applies far beyond chat programs, but it's important when using and program or service to understand what you are giving in return. In this brave new world, it often isn't a pure exchange of currency for a good or service, and this is a perfect example.

Discord's paid (Nitro) service doesn't really work for most of their users. 99% are kids and broke foreigners who won't pay a cent for a char service. It helps, sure, but it doesn't pay the bills. Not when they have to pay for their massive centralized servers purely with this single service. So they have to rely on the Facebook model, that is collecting information and selling it to advertisers. This model is employed more and more in the tech world, with Facebook and Google being the most prominent.

A free service cannot truly be free of course, as no large company relies on goodwill. Android is free to download and use, as are most of Google's services, just like Facebook and Messanger, just like Discord. The only way they can survive is by collecting and selling user information.

I know nothing about it, but it wouldn't surprise me.

>free service
>premium service
>startup funded by vc firms
>has said previously that they dont make money from your infomation, but that is an older comment
>plans on being bought out

Claiming that everything is keylogging your convos is freetard behaviour. I have other apps that I use for encrypted discussion but Discord isn't for that, it's for gaming and shouldn't be treated like a secure chat app. What's important is clear voice comms.

>better than discord
In what way? Privacy is equal at best, and the client is abysmal.

Discord is shit until custom clients become a thing.

Discord is far more reliant on selling user information than Microsoft. I also trust Microsoft marginally more than whoever the fuck owns Discord not to mishandle information, but that's really down to personal beliefs.

Not everyone, just people who literally fund their entire business on the concept. "It's for gaming" is a stupid argument, there's plenty of people who play games and don't use it, and as has been discussed to death here most Discord users are stupid kids or broke foreigners.

which is why it will always be shit

>We are talking about a large company serving hundreds of thousands (millions?)
90 MILLION. That's their own numbers to that's probably just the number of accounts. But it's not just about all the hosting, it's about all the money they spent on marketing to get here.

>It's ok to spy because it's for gaming

They won't. They don't want anyone interfering with their data collection, after all.